Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

3 unreleased soundfragments Burbanks rehearsals 1972
Posted by: Dolf ()
Date: September 21, 2008 19:19

Hi fellow Stonesfans,

Time to share some unique Stoneshistory with you! Please find on my website three soundfragments of the Stones rehearsing at Burbank 1972.

[www.stonesdata.nl]

Unfortunately only fragments....but still great to hear this piece of rock'n roll history!

The fragments are; Can't You hear Me Knocking, Gimme Shelter, Don't Lie To Me

Enjoy,

Dolf

Re: 3 unreleased soundfragments Burbanks rehearsals 1972
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 21, 2008 19:36

GREAT FRIGGIN' STUFF!!!!!! So much for them not being able to pull off "Knockin". This sounds like a balls to the wall jam. And "Dont Lie To ME" is played at the tempo it shoulda been(not like the Ft Worth gig) REAL boogie woogie. I hope this see s the light of day somehow!

Posted by: LuvGlimmerTwins ()
Date: September 21, 2008 20:59

These are a treasure--THANK YOU for sharing them, Dolf!

Please, can anyone tell me how to save these mp3 files on a Win xp system?

Posted by: funkycrow ()
Date: September 21, 2008 22:33

Thanks for the downloads.
Definately like the don't lie to me track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 22:34 by funkycrow.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 21, 2008 22:34

Very interesting, thank you very much Dolf!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 21, 2008 22:49

great to hear this Dolf, can't wait to hear the complete jams!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:58

LuvGlimmerTwins - all you have to do is open up your browser (I assume IE) & put the URL of the track into the adress bar, click GO, & it will automatically d/l the file . Do it for all 3 trax & you've got it.

How about we all put in $1, bv will buy this sucker, & we'll all have it

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 22, 2008 23:04

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds to me like the "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is not the Stones at all.

For one thing, the sound quality on the CYHMK differs drastically from the other two samples, which, to my ears, sound legit.

If this is supposedly a reel to reel tape of a rehearsal the type of sound difference would not exist. The entire 'space' of the recording is different on CYHMK.

Add to this the fact that you can hear a room full of people reacting to the CYHMK changes -- lots of 'crowd noise' similar to a band playing in a club or similar small room. This type of noise is not on the other samples.

Additionally the guitar and vocal sounds are nothing like the Stones from that era -- or pretty much any other. There's a bit of a resemblance to whoever it singing the Keith backup vocals, but that's pretty much it. The lead guitar part sounds nothing like what Mick Taylor would play, nor does the drum kit and playing sound anything like Charlie.

This clip sounds, to me, like a band playing a cover of CYHMK at a party/club.

The good news is the other two clips sound legit -- guitar sounds, vocals, playing styles etc. all fit in with the supposed time period/era/source.

And they do not sound like the Dallas rehearsals (which are partial soundboard).

These two samples sound to me like they could be a sound reel from Danny Seymour's work with Robert Frank. Perhaps the entire reel that the YCAGWYW performance from @#$%& Blues comes from.(Remember, film and audio at that time were recorded seperately and synced later on). But I am not sure if the tapes used for such purpose would be 60 min. in length at that time. Anyone?

Just my two cents/viewpoint for what it's worth.

J

Date: September 22, 2008 23:43

I see your point about the "crowd atmosphere" on Knockin but I guess I just dont have a good ear cause everything else sounds the same to me. Hey maybe they were partying and had let in all the "hangers on" by this song!!!!!!!
Just to add-my ears could be listening with wishful thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 00:47 by scottkeef.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 23, 2008 09:53

I gotta agree with JMARKO on the 'Knockin' fragment. That sounds to me like a bar band, especially the guitar playing.

Date: September 23, 2008 15:37

Well,Keith always says the Stones are just a bar band-even if the bar holds 50000!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 23, 2008 16:03

How do I d/l and save these? I seem to be only able to play them.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 24, 2008 13:43

Cafaro
How do I d/l and save these? I seem to be only able to play them.

play them and then check your temporary internet files. They should be there (sort on extension - MP3)

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 24, 2008 17:39

andrewm
I gotta agree with JMARKO on the 'Knockin' fragment. That sounds to me like a bar band, especially the guitar playing.

D'you mean it could be the ..... Black Crowes??????

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 24, 2008 18:02

There is no way that Can't You Hear Me Knocking fragment is them. The tape doesn't even sound like something from the 70s.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:54

THanks for posting, Dolf !

It doesn't sound like Rolling Stones playing Can't You Hear Me Knockin' there....not even the drums seems to make sense.

Don't Lie To Me....it has the typical Taylor touch, guitarwise, but apart from that....it's not something that can't be copied by a coverband - if they just know how to do it

Gimme Shelter on the other hand...sounds like Stones - from what one can hear

Hmmm....if one or two of these ones are fakes; then why would there be a "real" one mashed into it? I find it somewhat strange....don't know what to think.
Also find it strange that "Jagger" only sings for a few seconds of each sample....that fact alone can leave one suspicious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 23:03 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Dolf ()
Date: September 25, 2008 19:58

Hi Erik and others,

I agree with the remark that CYHMK is definately from another tape source then the other two fragments. I do thing CYHMK is played by the Stones as at the ending of the fragment there is kind of Taylor-like tune to be hear, similar as on the Dallas rehearsals recording. Though on the other hand I agree that one can question the fact that this was recorded in 1972 at Burbank. Hopefully this tape will see the daylight soon...so each one can judge for himself.

Cheers,
D.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 25, 2008 20:39

Could CYHMK be from 1971 rehearsals? It was played a couple of times on the English tour, you know.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 25, 2008 21:52

Could it be the case that Don't lie to me is a soundcheck from Fort Worth?
(it is audience taped)

Don't know what to think of CHYMK right now. If you hear the solo in the last part of the fragment sounds more Keith then Mick Taylor to me (if so, then Mick Taylor plays the main riff?) Who is playing the percussion?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 26, 2008 19:24

IMO CYHMK sounds like cassette quality from the late 70's-80's and the other two sound like they were recorded at different times with different recording machines . all sound like they were recorded with cassette

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 27, 2008 00:11

Well, DLTM and GS sound very much like the Burbank rehearsels to me. No problem with that, but CYHMK certainly isn't the Stones at all. It's sounds very much like old Flip the Switch, or any other decent Stones tribute band.

Mathijs

Date: September 28, 2008 21:27

I wonder why its included? To drive up the bid price? Seems like extreme lengths to go to. I guess we'll have to hear the whole thing(if we ever get the chance) to know whats really going on.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 2, 2008 07:46

Many thanks for posting these. I particularly appreciate the DLTM and GS samples including the solos.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: October 9, 2008 13:30

The CYHMK sample is clearly bogus. The seller probably added this to raise the price thinking noone would recognize it.

overall sound quality and mix is different than the other two samples (it sounds like a band playing in a small club. audience is clearly audible, too)

the drummer sounds terrible and doesn´t play like Charlie at all.

the vocalists... if you believe this is Jagger/Richards you have to get your ears checked.

My ears know a Stones 1972 performance when they hear it and this one is a half-decent cover band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home