Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Taking out Gaps on cds
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:38

Can someone tell me the best and quickest way to remove gaps on cdrs? If I'm on dial up/slow connection can I still do it?

Re: Taking out Gaps on cds
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 5, 2008 00:40

If you got gaps between the tracks on CDRs, I bet you've even got MP3 files on that disc. Have you been trading with a certain guy from Mexico?

Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: June 5, 2008 01:00

You can use foobar2000. It' s a free programm.

www.foobar2000.org

You have to convert the mp3-files into wave and burn them in the slowest speed with (maybe) Nero to an audio CD.
You won' t have any gaps between the songs.
But, don' t forget, once they are lossy they remain lossy.

smoking smileyRe: Taking out Gaps on cds
Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: June 5, 2008 02:21

.......Can someone tell me the best and quickest way to remove gaps on cdrs?......

you could try a search on 'remove gaps' after you clicked the search button above your message: eye rolling smiley

remove gaps 1
remove gaps 2
remove gaps 3

.....If I'm on dial up/slow connection can I still do it?.....confused smiley

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 5, 2008 05:18

Hey Erik, the answer is no to your question. But hey I've heard about him. I see his posts time to time. I don't trade with anyone in Mexico.

Posted by: Argentino ()
Date: June 5, 2008 11:43

Hey, i do not ask for this question but it sounds very useful, many thanks!!

Martín

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: June 5, 2008 11:43

Just to re-cap (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), MP3s have headers at the beginning of the file and when burnt to CD it equates to gaps. Therefore it's impossible to make a live album sound like a live album if it's in MP3 format. Hence you have to convert to WAV first.

I think the MP3 header tells the player what speed etc to play the song at, because when I once tried to remove all the gaps, the speed went badly slow.

Is that right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-05 11:46 by strettonbull.

Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: June 5, 2008 11:48

strettonbull
Just to re-cap (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), MP3s have headers at the beginning of the file and when burnt to CD it equates to gaps. Therefore it's impossible to make a live album sound like a live album if it's in MP3 format. Hence you have to convert to WAV first.

Is that right?

Yes. But I have converted them first with another programm (Easy CD-DA Extractor) to wave and this doesn' t work. The gaps have been there at all.
But as I said in the post above you can use foobar2000 and this little freeware programm will do it.
As I heard the first time about it I couldn' t believe it but it works cool smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 5, 2008 13:12

Are we talking about the 2-3 second gaps or pauses that can be put in between trax when burning, or are we talking about the micro gap which can be 2-5 hundredths of a second & which is found typically at either end of an mp3 altho I have seen them at the beginning only.

The micro gaps in mp3s are part of the wave form & are part & parcel of the mp3 encoding process, if you open up an mp3 in an audio editor & zoom in to the extreme left or right you will see them quite clearly as just a flat line of silence, you can't edit them out in an mp3 format.

Burning a bunch of these together, as in a concert, & selecting the 'no pause' option in your burner, will burn the files consecutively but you will still have those micro gaps there & they are charecterised bya momentary 'blip' between trax, it's roughly the same size gap as a 'click' on vinyl. Note that I'm not talking about a 2-3 second pause here.

Converting mp3s into wav files, no matter what proggy you use, will not get rid of those micro gaps in the converting process. The conversion process will see the micro gaps as part of the wave form & will reproduce them faithfully. I've just tried this with foobar, opened the resulting wav in cooleditpro, & yes, the microgaps are still there.

What you have to do then, is open up the converted wav file in an audio editor & manually edit out the silence @ the start & end of the file & save the result. Once you've done this for all the files in the concert, burn the cd, making sure you click the 'no pause' option, & you've got a seamless show.

Time consuming, yes, tedious, yes. But I open up ALL my files, mp3s, flac, wav, in cooledit & have a look at them before I commit them to cd. Just because a file is in flac format (& remember a flac is nothing but a zipped wav) doesn't mean that it's perfect. I have seen flacs ripped from silvers that show that the original silver was recorded way too low, these can be 'normalised' to get the maximum digital gain possible. I have seen files where the first couple of notes of the next song are on the PREVIOUS song, this shows poor track marking. How about a song finishing, Mick saying a couple of words, & then the next track starting with a repeat of the same words, poor editing that.

This certainly doesn't happen in the vast majority of cases but I point them out to show what else you can do to a file while you've got it open in an audio editor besides getting rid of those mp3 micro gaps. Oh yes, I've seen micro gaps on flacs which were the real thing as a spectrum analyser showed, how they got there I have no idea.

Don't get me started on trying to speed-correct shows that have been thru several tape recorders...

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: June 5, 2008 17:26

vox12string,
you describe exactly the way i edit the files, but looking in the helpfiles of cool edit pro found some things to minimize this 'time consuming work':

scripts:
cep-scripts allow you to save a series of actions -like edit/delete silece & effects/amplitude/normalize- to be performed again with the click of a button. the exact clicking of your mouse and any tweaking of parameters are stored in a txt file, ready to be repeated in the same sequence when recalled.
see 'how to/create a script' in the helpfiles for more on creating a script.

& batch processing:
to process a number of files at once -a batch of files- you use this script.
how exactly to do this, look in the helpfiles for 'how to/batch process files'.

saves me a lot of time!

Date: June 5, 2008 18:04

Thx for reminding me, j.b.goode. I remember looking at this when I first got the proggy & putting it the'I'll check it out later' basket. Think I'll have another go at it

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: June 5, 2008 18:44

Vox - that's exactly what I was trying to say - but a lot more clumsily than you!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 6, 2008 06:16

Vox - did you write this on yer own?
's great and it's true.

it's the micro gaps that gets everyone.
the 2 sec. silence problem is over after you burnt your second audio disc.

Date: June 6, 2008 10:25

Yup, all my own work

Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: June 6, 2008 15:50

I use Sony Sound Forge and it works really well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home