Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Uploading simplified
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 18, 2008 12:27

Sorry to ask a stupid question guys but can anyone here explain in an easy to understand way how to upload stuff onto the web. I've been told it's fairly complex. Is there an easy to use guide that doesn't require a Phd in IT?

Re: Uploading simplified
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 18, 2008 13:09

You need to register on some site like [www.gigasize.com] (just the example, UrbanSteel uses it) and hit the upload button. winking smiley

Pretty simple.

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: May 18, 2008 15:58

Amused
You need to register on some site like [www.gigasize.com] (just the example, UrbanSteel uses it) and hit the upload button. winking smiley

Pretty simple.

Pretty simple. Indeed. But not with Gigasize. If you want to ruin your nervous system and waste your precious lifetime: use gigasize.

Otherwise I'll recommend rapidshare. They offer an easy to use upload/download manager (100 % free of spyware), it is fast and reliable.

Or use any other upload server (Megaupload, Sendspace and so on) but Gigasize. It's the biggest crap around.

Date: May 18, 2008 16:04

Thanks for that Amused. I still need to learn how to make torrents out of music and video recordings for sites like Dimeadozen and it doesn't give that info on gigasize. Anywhere you can learn the basics of that?

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 18, 2008 16:19

First of all, there is no such thing as a 'stupid' question, we have all been 'noobs' at one point or other.

Depends on the 'stuff'

You will use a 'file sharing host' of one sort or other, these are just sites that will host whatever you want to put up, there's tons of them.

If it's just a pic or 2 then try imagevenue.com or imageshack.com, these are sites specifically for images only. Go to the site, click on the 'browse' button to find the pic(s) you want to upload on your computor, click 'send', wait for it to do it's stuff & you will get a 'link', you might as well save that in a text file (notebook) for future reference.

If it's a bunch of pix or mp3s, however, first put them in a container such as a .zip or .rar file (if you're running WinXP you already have a zip function built in, for rar files you need Winrar)
The host site you need will be different tho, specifically designed to host larger files. Gigasize.com is one, Rapidshare.com is also a very popular one commonly used by most music blogs. Others are sendspace & yousendit.
It's the same procedure, go to the site, browse for the file on your computor, click send & then have a cup of tea while it's uploading to the site. Once it's finished, again you will get a link, make sure you copy the whole thing & put it somewhere safe.

To post your link, it's as easy as pasting it into a post, but one thing I always do is first press the 'preview' button here, that way I get to see what my post will look like but the important thing is to check if the links actually work - click on them in the preview box to see if they actually send you to the file in question. Once you're satisfied it works press post message & it should be fine.

You don't have to belong/register to any of these sites to post stuff but be aware that they will delete youe file after a certain period ranging from 7-30 days, check each site's FAQ.

Date: May 18, 2008 17:45

Cheers Vox. If they only last 7-30 days how do sites like Dime work where there is stuff on there for unlimited periods?
I'm going to try and upload a video clip. I take it it's the same procedure.

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:54

Dime is a torrent site and therefore does not 'hold' the files, just the torrent text file. The file whether it is audio or video is held on the uploaders hard drive, the text file acts as a command to allow other users to connect to the uploaders pc.

Rapidshare etc is a collection of file servers which 'hold' the files you upload.

Big difference between bit torrent and file servers, suggest wikipedia to get a better understanding of the difference.

Date: May 18, 2008 21:26

You can make a torrent by using Transmission. Just load all the files to one folder, install and open Transmission, select File -> Make new torrent and then choose the folder and all the deffault settings. Then just upload .torrent file Transmission have made to Dimeadozen. A cople of tries (it may be hard for begginers) and you're done :-)

Ludwig: you're saying bad things. By using GigaSize I'm downloading 10x times faster than from your posts, sorry!

Date: May 18, 2008 21:33

Try this , as simple as can be explained.....

[invisionfree.com]

Posted by: Ludwig8745 ()
Date: May 18, 2008 22:20

Ludwig: you're saying bad things. By using GigaSize I'm downloading 10x times faster than from your posts, sorry![/quote]

"Re: POST : Pro-Shot DVD ; Dripping Away In Bangalore , 04-04-2003 DVD , 3,98 GIG , MPEG-2
Date: May 12, 2008 16:00

Bangalore show was amazing... Thank you. I don't think I will download it from you (ohh that speed), but I'm sure it's great! smiling smiley"

Date: May 18, 2008 22:49

Yeah, that's because from GigaSize I can download 2 songs a t the same time. From you, it's one for some longer time. And by using torrents, speed is 120kb/s and I can download whatever I want tongue sticking out smiley

But nevermind, I know I'm complaining too much. Hard times, huh...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 20, 2008 20:25

Slightly off topic - but I wrote a little "How to" upload videos to YouTube in STEREO

if anyone is interested have a look here:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 21:15

Silver Dagger

To upload music to DIME it must be in ,lossless format.........no MP3 files, you could do worse than download Traders Little Helper I found that it made it a lot easier using that software.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home