Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
REQUEST: ANYONE remember or have early promo/radio version of "Undercover Of The Night" ???
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 18, 2007 06:58

Much like the Emotional Rescue and She Was Hot extended "radio" versions posted here, there was a similar version of Undercover Of The Night advanced to radio stations prior to the album and single's public release.

Similar to the She Was Hot version (which sounds like an extended rough mix more than an official 12" extended mix -- especially from that era as a 12" 'remix' would have had dub or similar effects added) this version of Undercover was a rougher mix. The predominent difference was a much more audible acoustic guitar, especially during the machine-gun-esque breaks.

I am sure there were other differences, but being that this version was played so briefly (I remember rumors of it being an unintentional, mistaken or illegal advance version which was quickly removed from airplay in a number of days), and being that it was the first times I heard the song I cannot recall many other specific details.

I am 100% certain that this version existed as I taped it from the radio and played the tape alot with my best friend.

We did have the tape long enough to be able to hear the differences from the official released version (at the time I'm sure I could have come up with other differences beyond this acoustic guitar -- the part where the song nearly stops then fades in again was also different as I remember now too).

The tape was lost at a job we both worked at on the campus of our high school. We searched that place over, under, inside and out to find the cassette at the time but, much to our frustration -- both then and to this day -- it never re-surfaced.

I have purchased every promo version/pressing I have come across on vinyl (7 and 12 inch) over the years and have not found this alternate/rough mix. Nor has it shown up on any of the outtake/session bootlegs in circulation.

I would assume it is as evasive as a 'hard' copy of the She Was Hot version -- which may have been 'recalled' as well.

Another supporting fact about this lost version of Undercover is that it was played on the local (to me) radio station WAAF who had helped sponsor/organize the Sir Morgan's Cove warm-up gig in Worcester, MA in 1981 after the Stones had rehearsed at Longview Farm. I seem to recall that WAAF was/would/could have been privvy to an extra-early or limited advance of new Stones material at the time due to their relationship with the band. And, again, it may have been 'accidentally' broadcast by someone unsure of their permission to do such.

So I am sending a call out to the legions of IORR readers in hopes of confirmation and/or unearthing of this personal 'holy grail' of sorts.

Thanks,

J

P.S.: The extended version of Emotional Rescue was, I believe, released on an ultra-rare one-sided 12" promotional single (the vinyl 'pops' can be heard toward the beginning of the track). Anyone that can confirm/deny this? I do not see it listed in either Karnbach or Hoffman -- but niether of them has my Canadian promotional 12" of "Winning Ugly" which came in a white sleeve with a promo sticker on it and has the album version on both sides of the vinyl as well as completely different matrix numbers than the ultra-rare 12" with the London and New York remixes. :-)

Re: REQUEST: ANYONE remember or have early promo/radio version of "Undercover Of The Night" ???
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 18, 2007 21:29

I remember it but I thought it was the single version per Keith's comments in the "Musician" interview from that era (he says they put Mick's more conservative mix on the single and the more adventurous mix that Keith preferred on the album). Did Keith get it wrong?

Re: REQUEST: ANYONE remember or have early promo/radio version of "Undercover Of The Night" ???
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 19, 2007 15:53

I remember the Mick and Keith cover story for Musician, too. I thought Keith was arguing the longer 12" dub mix belonged on the album and Mick was playing it safe with the more commercial single version.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 28, 2007 20:23

Could be this?
Promotone PR367 Emotional Rescue(Long Version 5:38)/Emotional Rescue(Short Version 4:18) (12", promo in generic die-cut card sleeve, US, 1980)

Date: June 29, 2007 01:35

Ricky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be this?
> Promotone PR367 Emotional Rescue(Long Version
> 5:38)/Emotional Rescue(Short Version 4:18) (12",
> promo in generic die-cut card sleeve, US, 1980)

Nope, That's the album and single versions.

This radio version posted above makes the THIRD different long version of the trackas there is one on Static In the Attic and _another_ on Accidents Will Happen.

Posted by: godzi68 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 17:33

I remember one of the big radio stations in Philly (WYSP) announcing that they were gonna have 2 big Rolling Stones world premier exclusive songs and I did tape both of them - She Was Hot & Undercover! Both songs that I taped has the radio station saying something like "world premier from WYSP" a couple times during the songs. I know I transferred them to a CD, now I have to find them. Once I get home from work, i'll check my collection and then try to post them.

Marty

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: June 29, 2007 19:04

I will try to dig up my Philadelphia Radio Station world premier of Undercover of the night. It was played on WMMR as the 'Screamer of the week'. There is actually a woman screaming in the beginning of the song. I thought it added to the mystique of the song.

Date: June 29, 2007 21:23

Wow. This is the closest I've ever gotten to ANYONE thinking they might have this.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 29, 2007 23:39

hey Jonny Johnson, Johnny Johnson here. I have that alt She Was Hot, from a UK Demo, way different to both the 12" and LP versions, so far, can find the Undercover you are speaking of...I have a ton of 12" versions, but most are dub...

Date: June 30, 2007 00:02

I have yet to find a 12" with it.

BTW Johnson, i have a record not listed in Karnbach or Hoffman. See above.

J

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: June 30, 2007 07:39

Wow..love ot hear it!!!

Date: June 30, 2007 16:09

yeah, I have that, we'll take care of that entry in the New book.

JR

Date: June 30, 2007 19:36

Here is the link for the radio promo of Undercover of the Night. I'm using Sendspace for the first time so if it doesn't work, let me know. Hopefully this is the version you were looking for JMARKO. Enjoy!

[www.sendspace.com]

Posted by: Argentino ()
Date: June 30, 2007 20:02

godzi68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the link for the radio promo of Undercover
> of the Night. I'm using Sendspace for the first
> time so if it doesn't work, let me know. Hopefully
> this is the version you were looking for JMARKO.
> Enjoy!
>
> [www.sendspace.com]

Thanks!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: June 30, 2007 21:50

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-30 22:22 by midnrambler.

Date: July 1, 2007 02:01

Dang, man, this is great! Completely alternate version....too bad about the promo, but its still great!

JR

Date: July 1, 2007 04:19

Wow. I had my doubts until that break where you can hear the acoustic guitar. That has to be it.

So, both Undercover and She Was Hot were advanced to radio stations in alternate mixes and versions which have never shown up anywhere else.

Completely bizarre -- I wonder if these were sent via tape or vinyl.

THANKS so much for posting this, and I'm glad to have helped shake it loose. Now we need upgrades! :-)

J

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 1, 2007 04:34

This is really great!!! I like this mix alot. There has got to be better copies floating around out there somewhere.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 1, 2007 04:50

I have never heard this Undercover version before - thanks for posting - also thanks for posting in WAV!

Date: July 1, 2007 06:18

Glad you guys like it & i'm glad I kept that tape stored away for all those years. I do like that version alot and I have always liked the version of She Was Hot with the piano ending. There is a great recording of SWH on Porky Prod. Laid In The Shade vol. 2. Hopefully a cleaner version of that Undercover take will show up.

Remember the video of Undercover where the Stones were shown on TV performing that song on stage. I believe it was the Baines Douchez Club in Paris and they were said to have played other songs besides Undercover. Has that tape ever surfaced? That would be yet another holy grail of stuff along with the Sir Morgan's Cove show and the EP containing the full versions of Soon Forgotten, You Can't Judge A Book & Close Together. Our search continues!

Thank you guys for all of your postings. Glad I could contribute.

Marty

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: July 1, 2007 09:38

Thank You!!!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 3, 2007 03:31

Thanx for posting. Has anyone compared this with the UnderCoverouttakes that have surfaced sofar?

Posted by: bnewbury ()
Date: July 20, 2007 07:21

It's expired....

Date: July 20, 2007 19:30

I have it Bob. Will get a copy to the VA contingent soon.

J

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 4, 2010 15:31

JMARKO
I have it Bob. Will get a copy to the VA contingent soon.

J

What's the VA contingent?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 4, 2010 16:43

Virgin Audience

those who have not heard it

Date: February 7, 2010 07:40

Attached is the updated link for the Undercover Radio Promo mix. Hope the link works.

Marty

[www.sendspace.com]

Posted by: yann ()
Date: February 7, 2010 08:54

It works fine, thanks !

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: February 7, 2010 09:24

Never heard this, better than the album version. Thanks grinning smiley

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: February 9, 2010 20:56

Thank you for this fantastic sound drinking smiley
Can we hear more ?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home