Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

God Bless-Can't People Agree on This?? Once Again: DVD-R vs. Pressed
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 20, 2007 00:00

Some guy on eBay was bragging about selling his la 75 DVDs that are "pressed" and "silver". Here is our interchange:

Me - and, really, you think there is a difference between a DVDR and a "pressed, silver" DVD? It's all digital. Tell me what you think?

Him - absolutely! Real Pressed lasts so much longer and is guarnteed to work on ALL players.
Half the time when Ive gotten a DVDR copy it doenst play right or it doesnt finish playing the whole movie. I think its a better deal all the way around.

Subject: Question for item #320093836783 - The Rolling Stones Los Angeles 1975 DVD

Re: God Bless-Can't People Agree on This?? Once Again: DVD-R vs. Pressed
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 20, 2007 00:11

I've gotten several DVDR's that don't play.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2007 00:21

Tumblin_Dice, not from me I hope !

Yes, I got some that won't play either.
But anyway, it's a fact that CDs and DVDs last much much longer than CDRs/DVDRs.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 20, 2007 00:32

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tumblin_Dice, not from me I hope !
>
> Yes, I got some that won't play either.
> But anyway, it's a fact that CDs and DVDs last
> much much longer than CDRs/DVDRs.

NO! haha your's worked fine. Thanks.

Date: March 20, 2007 02:16

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Tumblin_Dice, not from me I hope !
>
> Yes, I got some that won't play either.
> But anyway, it's a fact that CDs and DVDs last
> much much longer than CDRs/DVDRs.

This is true in most cases but,it could depend on which CDR's and DVDR's you're using.Gold (bottom,recording surface) recordable discs may be less likely to oxidize over the years than any other disc.That's why they are used to archive important data.
The matter of them being able to play could depend on how they were recorded or it could just be because of a cheap and/or bad disc.
I use gold discs with a DVD recorder/VCR combo for DVD's and a Marantz CD Recorder for cds and I have no problems.Denon also makes a great cd recorder.Plextor makes the best computer drives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-01 00:01 by Theif in the Night.

Date: March 20, 2007 02:29

Yes, Thief In THe Night, it depends on the CDRs/DVDRs, and the burning equipment.
I've never had any problems with CDRs, I must say,
but I've had problems with several DVDs I've recieved from others....not with the ones burned by me. It also depends on the speed it's burned with (I think), I try to burn at 2X.
So called "Gold CDRs"...at least where I live, those costs the same as a pressed CD (or bootleg).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-20 02:29 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 20, 2007 02:58

I thought that was what you meant.I wasn't directing that post at you specifically.I just thought I'd put that info out there incase it helps anyone.
The gold discs are more expensive.I get gold cdr's for around $2 each compared to well under a dollar for most other cdr's.Gold dvdr's for $3.50 but,you save more if you buy in bulk.To be on the safe side,I buy ten first to make sure things go smoothly and then make a bulk purchase.

Date: March 20, 2007 03:01

2 dollars ? Well that's a good price, the stores where I live sells them for 12 dollars. I live in a expensive country.
Have to check out the internet for those things, I guess.

Date: March 20, 2007 03:26

[www.datamediastore.com]

[www.datamediastore.com]

The above prices are for 25,50,and 100 packs,respectively.This is where I usually buy from.Below are a couple more links but,they are more expensive.Most gold discs are made by MAM-A and then,in some cases,labeled with different names such as Kodak etc.

[www.delkin.com]

[www.elusivedisc.com]

Date: March 20, 2007 11:54

Thanks for the links, ThiefInTheNight

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 21, 2007 16:02

I've read many articles on the subject, and while I have yet to see any definitive proof, a few things surprised me.

Early pressed CD's may not last longer than 5 years due to the plastic seperating and exposing the metal which could oxidize. That concerned me a bit since I have 700+ pressed CD's dating back to the mid 80's!

Gold 'Archive' burned discs are supposed to last 100+ years. I haven't seen any commercially produced pressed discs make that claim (of course how could either prove it??).

Most pressed discs do however excel in some areas, namely, playability. That is, they tend to play in virtually every type of machine designed to play them.

Burned discs do seem to be a bit tempermental in that some brands play in only certain players and so forth. For example, my car stereo seems to play most 74 minute CDR's, but only certain higher quality 80 minute CDR's.

And then there are the CDR 'Audio' discs, made specifically for use in CD Player/Recorders (regular 'data' discs can't be used in those; but the opposite isn't true, these can be burned in PC's). From what I can tell is this was something designed to give kickbacks to the recording industry to compensate for copying music, as they are a bit higher priced but I have yet to read anything stating it's because they're higher quality.

One other thing I learned was, don't write on your discs with alcohol based inks (which is what's in most commercially purchased markers), use specially made CD/DVD pens. The alcohol can eventually erode the plastic and corrupt the disc.

DVDR's are even more tempermental, as some players only play DVD+R, some only play DVD-R, and some play both. Some players claim they'll only play one or the other, but may in fact play the other but possibly only of a certain brand. From what I can tell, DVD+R's are slightly less common but are gaining and are more prominent in PC DVD burners. DVD-R's are more prominent in DVD player/recorders.

I've had very good luck with Mitsui (aka MAM-A), which are sold at the datamediastore referenced above. I've also heard good things about Tayo Yuden. Most discs are made by only a handful of companies (like the above mentioned 2), but figuring out who makes what can be a challenge, so I just stick with their primary brands.

Hope that's helpful and interesting! Any opposing views certainly welcome..

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: March 21, 2007 16:59

Erik_Snow,

What I'am wondering why you even want to burn on DVD or CD format anyway.
Today you can buy external harddisk that are much cheaper and will hold data forever (as long as you don't mess the harddisk!).

For archiving purposes an external harddisk (400 Gb) is much cheaper then the spindles discussed above.

Urban Wheel

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: DirtyWorks ()
Date: March 21, 2007 17:43

If you use your hard drive a lot you're gonna loose it and it won't hold your data forever.

Posted by: Argentino ()
Date: March 21, 2007 23:26

I have two external hard disk, one of them with 250 GB and another with 500 GB, and my files are in twice disk, like this if some day one of them is damage i keep my files in the other hard disk!!

Argentino

Date: March 21, 2007 23:40

Urban Wheel Wrote:
> Erik_Snow,
>
> What I'am wondering why you even want to burn on
> DVD or CD format anyway.
> Today you can buy external harddisk that are much
> cheaper and will hold data forever (as long as you
> don't mess the harddisk!).
>
> For archiving purposes an external harddisk (400
> Gb) is much cheaper then the spindles discussed
> above.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider that option.
Still, I often bring my CDs or CDRs when driving car, visting people or something like that.
But it's a good idea with an external hard-drive, yes-sir-i.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 23:41 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: March 22, 2007 00:06

I have an External hard drive 250 GB but I also have all my music on Disc to

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: March 22, 2007 10:33

Since I became member of IORR I was thinking by myself, 'I am feeling like a kid in the candystore'

I will buy a 400 Gb drive next week, to store all the quality stuff you guys post!

Again, I want to thank all of you for keeping the stones alive and kicking!

I don't burn too many disks but use my MP3 player to listen 24hours to the Stones. that's why I prefer an external drive..

Sincerely,

Urban Wheel

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: pancho1111 ()
Date: July 2, 2007 01:11

My suggestion is one WD My Book (western digital) with two 750 GB hard disks inside, in RAID 1 configuration, that is you have 750 GB mirroed in another disk, for safe storage. They came in USB and Firewire, or Ethernet ports.
Advice: Never keep your files in only one disk, wathever qlty it is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home