Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gapless Burning
Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: November 2, 2006 03:00

Could someone here please give me some tips on burning mp3 files without the gaps OR the dropouts? I've used Nero and, while the gaps are gone, there are still small dropouts between tracks. Any suggestions on this would be great. Thanks!

Re: Gapless Burning
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 2, 2006 03:55

Turn off "remove silence after songs".
(That's a different thing than to turn off "pause between songs")
Maybe that's the trick....I'm not sure.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 2, 2006 04:10

Nero works fine for me, I don't get any dropouts.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 2, 2006 04:33

If you have access to a MAC, you can simply set it to not have a gap between tracks. If you use Toast (again on a MAC), it gives you the opton of picking the space between tracks to be anything you want....from nothing to several seconds.

I have zero idea what Nero is, but good luck! Having gaps between songs on a live recording can suck!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 2, 2006 07:20

When creating mp3s a 'frame' is added @ either end of the file & this shows up as a micro-second of silence @ each end which is now part of the file. You can see this if you open up your mp3 in an audio editor & really zoom in @ either end, it's very small, less than 1/1000th sec.

When you burn mp3s your burner will assume that silence is part of the file & happily burn it, & that's why you've got that dropout between trax.

There's no way I know to get rid of this automatically when burning to cd. There was a link @ regnyouth blogspot ages ago to an article about this problem, very serious stuff, & they had no solution.

The way around it is slow but to me the result is worth it. You have to open up each individual mp3 in an audio editor (Audacity is good & FREE), zoom in @ either end, highlight the silent section, delete it, & save as a .wav file. This will not add anything to the file. Once you've got all your .wav files done you burn those, making sure you have no 'pause' between trax, & there you have it, seamless.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 2, 2006 09:09

Also new iTunes uses "gapless playback". Much improved over the older versions.

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: November 2, 2006 10:44

Why gaps occur at wikipedia

the way vox12string called is ok: do it yourself. you have nero, so you can use nero wave editor.
do simular as allways when you want to burn.
but before actually hitting the burn-button, select the first file to burn in the left field, than hit 'edit'. wave editor will appear.edit like mentioned above with vox12string.than save, and select file 2 etc.
but it remains slow, you decide it's worth trying.
let us know, please.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2006 12:54

i'm using Nero 6 and if you doubleclick on the track title, then choose the "cross fade with previous track" option
for every track after the first one, you can get rid of those micropauses. setting the crossfade for 3 frames is usually enough ...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 2, 2006 13:14

vox12string Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you burn mp3s...

Burn MP3s...somebody actually burn those MP3s? I thought we we're talking about wav.

Date: November 2, 2006 16:21

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'm using Nero 6 and if you doubleclick on the
> track title, then choose the "cross fade with
> previous track" option
> for every track after the first one, you can get
> rid of those micropauses. setting the crossfade
> for 3 frames is usually enough ...

and what do you do when the gap is more than two seconds?
crossfade for 3 frames will not be enough.
for instance: yesterday i dowloaded johnny g.goode. at the end is a silence of more than the 2 seconds mentioned above.
in nero wave editor i can't find the option 'delete silence at begin and end of the file', as it is present in cool edit, now audobe audition.

Date: November 2, 2006 17:21

>> and what do you do when the gap is more than two seconds? <<

i was talking about elimintating the annoying micro-pauses that creep into concert recordings -
i thought that's what the original question was.
to eliminate 2-second-or-longer pauses i go into the editor and remove them by hand.
(oh and: the "remove silence" option isn't in the nero wave editor -
it's one of the options when you're saving tracks or copying disks.
it doesn't always seem to do what it's told, though, so checking each track in the editor before burning is a good idea,)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-03 18:21 by with sssoul.

Date: November 2, 2006 18:36

>>i was talking about elimintating the annoying micro-pauses that creep into concert recordings -
i thought that's what the original question was.<<

that was the original question. your answer is correct to that question. i used this option many times with wav files,no problem. sorry i didn't mentione this.

than i asked:...and what if there's more than that micro-pause?......
thanks for your answer: not available in nero to delete silence.

so, next time i burn cd with mp3, i'll try:
- with cooledit: batch-processing, with 'normalize' and 'delete silence'
(so i don't have to check each track one by one)
- burn with nero, with crossfading

hope it works!

Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: November 2, 2006 19:59

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try the crossfade in Nero.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 3, 2006 09:45

why burn it as mp 3 ?????????? to make the whole live show as one single track,in wave editor..or cool pro .

it should be perfect too burn wave files...ono dvd ,,,

it works.but the problem is that playing on dvd/or cd player..

Date: November 3, 2006 11:14

>>why burn it as mp 3 ??????????<<
because that's what the uploader has posted, and thats what you've got.
converting to wav means much bigger files, but not improving quality.

>>to make the whole live show as one single track,in wave editor..or cool pro<<
that's not what's happening here. this is about removing silence at the beginning and end of each individual file, and removing the silence in between files when burning. so each file stays individual. but at playing you don't hear the gaps anymore.
when you burn as (nero)'disc at once', (not 'track at once'!) the whole live show will not be one single track.

>>but the problem is that playing on dvd/or cd player<<
right. the player should support/be able to play mp3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-03 11:21 by j.b.goode.

Date: November 3, 2006 14:29

... i *am* burning .wav files. sometimes they're plagued by these micropauses as well.

and Ebling, i hope the crossfade gizmo serves you well; please note that sometimes you need to enter more than 3 frames
to eliminate the audible micropause. i usually try 3 frames first, burn a trial run on a rewriteable disk
and then increase the number of frames if necessary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home