Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'the singer not the song' in stereo?
Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 17, 2006 01:38

anyone ever heard this? have this?

Re: 'the singer not the song' in stereo?
Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: January 17, 2006 01:55

This has turned up the stereo Rarities bootleg but in my opinion it doesn't sound particularly stereo-ish - more like processed stereo

Here is the track from the 'Stereo Rarities' bootleg

[s59.yousendit.com]

This is my own recording - taken from the 'No Stone Unturned' vinyl LP - I did quite a lot of processing - such as de-noised/de-crackled/de-clicked/front volume up - anyway I reckon it sounds pretty good - mind you to me it still sounds like processed stereo although the LP says it is proper stereo.

[s59.yousendit.com]

Perhaps there is a wider 'real' stereo version available - if so and anyone has a copy....!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 17, 2006 03:15

interesting comparison, buddy. thanks a lot....

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 27, 2010 19:00

The information on the sleeve of 'No Stone Unturned' indicates that 'The Singer Not The Song' is true stereo. But I must admit there's little or no audible seperation on my LP.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 27, 2010 21:09

It´s that old dreadful "electronically reprocessed for stereo"...thumbs down

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: December 28, 2010 07:26

Everything recorded at Chess Studios in Chicago and RCA Studios in Hollywood was recorded in True Stereo. This is according to David Hassinger who was the recording Engineer who was actually there at the sessions. In an interview done for the release of the now famed ABKCO Wooden Box, David States that everything he recorded for the Stones from late 1964 to 1966 was in True Stereo. This interview is included in the booklet that accompanies the Wooden Box Set.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 28, 2010 13:07

rootsman
It´s that old dreadful "electronically reprocessed for stereo"...thumbs down
The info on the sleeve of No Stone Unturned indicates that the majority of the tracks indeed is in 'electronically reprocessed stereo' but also claims that 'The Singer Not The Song' is one of the few tracks in true stereo.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:25

same mix as "don't lie to me" near mono mix .,.

Date: December 29, 2010 08:24

While we are waiting for Abkco to dig out the true stereo versions (maybe never!)

Anyone up for a little heretical fake-stereo processing here's a little program for you.

A few sample-examples - Singer Not The Song/King Bee/Under The Boardwalk.

[www.megaupload.com]

Check this out: It might keep you busy for a while.

[www.musereo.com]

Date: December 30, 2010 16:49

here is my sample file reposted at 192kbps
the previous one was a wav file and unnecessarily large

[www.megaupload.com]

Posted by: drahffir ()
Date: December 30, 2010 23:22

FWIW, the vinyl Singles Collection version is mono.

Lovely song.

Date: December 31, 2010 01:57

vancouver
same mix as "don't lie to me" near mono mix .,.

No stereo at all to my ears, just "reprocessed"...sad smiley

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: December 31, 2010 02:05

If I'm not mistaking, Sad Day was also on NO STONE UNTURNED in the same "stereo" quality. I listened to both carefully, and they are only "electronically re-processed."

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 31, 2010 02:11

blakeeik
If I'm not mistaking, Sad Day was also on NO STONE UNTURNED in the same "stereo" quality. I listened to both carefully, and they are only "electronically re-processed."

This is true. Sadly regardless of what the sleeve notes say, the only "true" stereo tracks on the album are "Child of the Moon" and "2120 South Michigan avenue".

Date: December 31, 2010 06:49

ABKCO will never release the tracks. They pick & choose what they want to release. Hence the six tracks in True Stereo on 12x5 in 2002 for the release of the SACD Collection.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: drahffir ()
Date: December 31, 2010 14:56

I wish the Stones would buy Abkco and hire a decent archivist to deal with this sort of situation. I'm probably not alone in my feelings.

Date: January 2, 2011 04:23

ABKCO needs to understand that people are tired of hearing the Stones in MONO. The Rolling Stones recorded in True stereo starting in 1964.True Stereo is easily recognized by the separation of sound;meaning that different instruments are heard in each speaker. That means that songs like Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown,As Tears Go Bye, Mercy Mercy, The Last Time and a slew of others remain in the vaults and are not available to the CD buying public. It's also puzzling why a company such as ABKCO would spend lots of money by hiring Bob Ludwig to remaster the collection in 2002 using the pricey SACD format and leave the majority of the songs in MONO. To achieve the 5.1 Surround Sound effect that SACD format is famous for, the songs must be in Stereo. Very Puzzling!! Whats also puzzling is the way they seem to pick and choose what songs are to appear in True Stereo and what songs remain in MONO. For instance they did release certain songs in Stereo such as Time Is On My Side, It's All Over Now,Heart Of Stone,I Can't Be Satisfied and a few others. However, these releases only graze the surface of available Stereo Tracks. Stones Fans have been hounding ABKCO to release ALL The True Stereo Tracks As Well As Outakes & Unreleased Songs For Over 25 Years. ABKCO needs to realize that the music business has changed. Almost every major band from the 60s has released live BBC recordings as well as outakes of their hits: The Who, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin,The Birds, Cream,The Doors etc.. Even Motown features a four cd box set of their greatest hits in True Stereo. All Have opened their vaults and appeased their fans and prospered in the process:All That is except for ABKCO who for some strange reason seems to squirrel their rare recordings away in the vaults; there bye depriving the pleading Stones fans and the music world of their audio and visual rarities. Strange.

Date: January 2, 2011 11:37

Well put soulsurvivor1 - it would be interesting to hear a reply from ABKCO themselves.

[www.abkco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-02 11:38 by rumple21.

Date: January 2, 2011 18:44

ABKCO thinks that they are on the cutting edge. Really they do! They boast their 2002 SACD collection even though they used MONO versions instead of available stereo tracks. THe amazing thing about that is they did the same thing in the 1980s when they hired Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs to remaster the Stones collection. The result was the now famous Wooden Box Set. THe engineerrs of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs were puzzled when ABKCO gave strict orders to use all MONO tracks instead of STEREO. Only one track(Get Off My Cloud) was released Stereo and legend has that this was a planned mistake by a rogue engineer! THey are not letting the listening public have a choice. ALL the MONO and STEREO tracks should be available. Case and point; if you prefer the MONO to STEREO versions of songs like Time Is On My Side, Heart Of Stone or It's All Over Now you have to buy the Singles Collection Box 63-65 Set with the replice 45 Picture Sleeves from the 60s. They take away the Mono versions off the CD. That's ridiculous! Why should the MONO versions be replaced with the STEREO? They have several choices..Choice 1: Create a Stereo Stones package that includes every missing Stereo Track. Choice 2: Include the STEREO tracks as bonus Tracks on the original Albums and Greatest Hits Packages. What do they have to loose? I think that a Double CD Package of All the Missing Stereo Tracks would be a Huge Success critically and financially..It Cant Loose If marketed the right way ( which they never seem to do) Case and point..When the SACD collection hit the stores in 2002 no one even knew that the CDs were SACD. ABKCO did not even think of putting a sticker on the shrink wrap indicating SACD. What marketing techniques! PLease! They continue to miss the obvious. It's amazing they seem to defy every proven method of success that other reissue companies have followed. They continue to disappoint Die Hard Stones FANS and casual music fans every step of the way.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 29, 2011 23:11

These are the officially existing true stereo tracks from the pre Aftermath era:

Around and Around
Empty Heart
If You Need Me
2120 South Michigan Avenue
It's All Over Now
Time Is On My Side
Heart Of Stone
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
What A Shame
Play With Fire
I've Been Loving You Too Long
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Get Off Of My Cloud
Confessin' The Blues
Down The Road Apiece
Look What You've Done
I Can't Be Satisfied

Also the Chess Studio outtakes are available in true stereo:

Stewed And Keefed
Down In The Bottom
High Heeled Sneakers
Tell Me Baby
Lookin Tired (RCA Studios 1966)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-30 13:44 by midnrambler.

Date: January 29, 2011 23:22

also "don't lie to me" in wide stereo,,

Date: January 29, 2011 23:44

vancouver
also "don't lie to me" in wide stereo,,

yes, you're right, I didn't include the Metamorphosis tracks. But all tracks on the remastered (DSD/SACD) Metamorphosis sound not very "wide" stereo to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 23:48 by midnrambler.

Date: January 29, 2011 23:49

on bootleg more wide than on Metamorphosis

Date: January 29, 2011 23:53

My list lists officially existing true stereo tracks.
On bootleg we also have The Last Time, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby and who knows what else.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 23:57 by midnrambler.

Date: January 29, 2011 23:57

Also available in stereo:

My Girl (at least the basic track is pre-Aftermath)
As Tears Go By

Date: January 29, 2011 23:59

agree,,,

midnight rambler,please read my latest quest on tell me ;if you want ?

Date: January 30, 2011 00:04

rootsman

As Tears Go By

On which release is As Tears Go By?

Date: January 30, 2011 00:13

midnrambler
rootsman

As Tears Go By

On which release is As Tears Go By?

This is not very well known, but it´s on (an) early 70´s pressing(s) of Big His (High Tide And Green Grass).
I have a copy from around 1973, b-side matrix XZAL-7504-6D.
Basically, only the strings are in stereo.

Date: January 30, 2011 00:13

on my girl the strings are overdubbed later in one channel,

i did my own mix..back to mono,,(no strings)

Date: January 30, 2011 16:14

vancouver

midnight rambler,please read my latest quest on tell me ;if you want ?

read it, but sorry, can't answer it because I got no idea...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home