Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: Ron WOOD and The Palpitations: EC's Rainbow concerts (afternoon show) FP 129
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: April 8, 2023 10:25

Ron Wood
and the Palpitations:
ERIC CLAPTON’s RAINBOW CONCERTS
13th January 1973
(London Rainbow Theatre)

……………………………………………

PART I°] ORIGINS and REWORKING IN THE OFFICIAL RELEASES:

Here is an attempt to find the sources and changes made from the two Rainbow shows on the official versions published in 1973/1987 and in 1995 (the one with the bonuses).
To carry out this research I merged the 2 versions (the officials in the left channel and the bootlegs published by EVSD in the right channel).
Here are my conclusions (#1 means the afternoon show and #2 means the evening show):

A°] Comparison for the 1973/87 LP/CD-version with the EVSD version and in relation to the 1995 version:
Only 6 tracks (versus 14 in the 1995 version)
01 – BADGE : identical to #2 (no edits)
02 – ROLL IT OVER: identical to #2 (no edits)
03 – PRESENCE OF THE LORD: identical to #2 (no edits), no difference in Steve Winwood’s vocals
04 – PEARLY QUEEN: coming from #2 too but here a 20 sec segment has been edited out (from 1’54 until 2’14): a verse is deleted so the ‘shortening’ is not as blatant as in the 1995 version: no difference in Steve Winwood’s vocals
05 – AFTER MIDNIGHT: coming from #1 without edits. Note a curiosity: Here the phase has been inverted (this is not the case in the 1997 version…) but this has no influence on the listening pleasure!
06 – LITTLE WING: identical to #2 (no edits)
CONCLUSION: The 1973/87 version is identical to the EVSD version, the versions chosen are the same as on the 1995 remastered version. The only difference is the deleting of a little sequence in ‘Pearly Queen’ where 20 seconds for the 2nd version have been edited out.

B°] Comparison for the 1995 2CD-version with EVSD version and relation with the

01a – Intro: coming from #1 - shortened and mixed with ‘Layla’ beginning. You mean crossfaded?
01b – LAYLA: is a mix from the 2 versions with 2 segments edited
Part 1: start until 2’20 coming from #1 (decelerated by -1%) then 24 seconds are deleted until the piano break.
Part 2: from the piano break until the end it is from #2 version 2 (decelerated by -1%) and 16 seconds are deleted.

02 – BADGE: coming from #2 with a segment edited
Coming from #2 (decelerated by -1%): the end is shortened (35 seconds deleted)

03 – BLUES POWER: mix of 2 versions, majority of #1 with segments edited
Intro (= end of ‘Badge’) coming from #2 (decelerated by -0,125) until 0’27
Then ‘version #1 (decelerated by -1%) until 2’31, then 1’10 minute is deleted and for the last segment (after the cool passage), another 15 seconds segment is deleted to shorten the end of the song.
In the banter 17 seconds are deleted before the ‘band introduction’ still coming from #1

04 – ROLL IT OVER: coming from #2 and shortened
Coming from #2 (decelerated by -0,6%)
After 0’35 a 22 second instrumental passage is deleted
Between 2’36 and 3’26 a verse, a chorus and an instrumental passage are deleted (a total of 1’55 are deleted).
The banter and the Little Wing introduction shortened are coming from #1

05 – LITTLE WING: coming from #2 and shortened
Coming from #2 (decelerated by -1,4%)
At 0’59 the first seconds of the 1st verse are replaced by the first seconds of the 3rd verse.
At 2’59 , verses 3rd and 4th and the guitar solo are deleted but the guitar solo reappears from 3’44 until 4’17.

06 – BOTTLE OF RED WINE: coming from #2 and shortened
Coming from #2 (decelerated by -1%)
After 1’30, 29 seconds of guitar solo are deleted and at 3’04, after another verse, 21 seconds of instrumental are deleted too.
Note the piano is nearly deleted, it’s hardly audible in the official version.

07 – AFTER MIDNIGHT: coming from #1 and shortened
Coming from #1 (decelerated by -1,4%)
At 1’51 a segment of 41 seconds is deleted.

08 – BELL BOTTOM BLUES: coming from #1 and shortened
Coming from #1 (decelerated by -1,4%)
At the end (5’07), 2 choruses are deleted (22 seconds)
Note 40 seconds of the banter from #1 are also deleted

09 – PRESENCE OF THE LORD: coming from #2, some voice and piano reworked
Coming from #2 (decelerated by -0,7%)
Note here the piano is completely reworked and sometimes the voice too (ex at 1’56)

10 – TELL THE TRUTH: coming from #2 and shortened
From 4’07, 10 seconds are deleted then around 1’20 are deleted
Note here the piano is also quite inaudible.
The banter is from #1

11 – PEARLY QUEEN: coming from #2, shortened, voices reworked
All the infos are taken from ‘Woodworks’ by Nico Zentgraf: the database devoted to Ronnie Wood's work with The Birds, Jeff Beck Group, Faces and many others Coming from #2 (decelerated by -1%)
At 1’52 a verse is deleted (-57 seconds), another instrumental part (-57 seconds too) is deleted at 2’18 and, at, the end, before 4'39, another 20 seconds instrumental segment it's also deleted.
Note the voices are reworked (listen for example at 0’50, 1’51…)

12 – KEY TO THE HIGHWAY: coming from #2 and slightly shortened
Only played at #2 (decelerated by -0,6%)
The first segment (22 first seconds) is deleted and a half second is deleted at 3’34.

13 – LET IT RAIN: coming from #2 and heavily shortened
At 2’22 a 15 seconds sequence is deleted, then 54 seconds at 2’36,
In the percussion solo 2’19 are deleted in the first part and 1’39 second at the end
The banter is shortened and the “thank you”-message for Pete Townend is reworked (more eloquent/soulful)

14 - CROSSROADS
At 1’15: 29 seconds are deleted.
The last ‘thank you’ was added.

CONCLUSION:
The intro and first part of ‘Layla’, the majority of ‘Blues Power’ and the complete ‘After Midnight’ & ‘Bell Bottom Blues’ are coming from the afternoon show. All the rest, often shortened, is coming from the evening show. Very few reworked parts (piano and Winwood’s voice) and nearly nothing added (unless some words of thanks in the last two banters).

Not one of the “WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD” and “NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT” versions were used!

………………………………………………..
All the infos are taken from ‘Woodworks’ by Nico Zentgraf: the database devoted to Ronnie Wood's work with The Birds, Jeff Beck Group, Faces and many others before joining The Rolling Stones. [www.nzentgraf.de]

Ron Wood
and the Palpitations:
ERIC CLAPTON’s RAINBOW CONCERTS
13th January 1973
The afternoon show
FP 129
(audience source reworked)

The famous Eric Clapton “Rainbow Concert” was one of the more significant events in rock history. Organized by Pete Townshend to help Clapton kick his habit to heroin and boost his career, he organized a backing group consisting of :
Ron Wood (gtr, bvoc)/Pete Townshend (gtr, bvoc)/Steve Winwood (keyb, voc)/Rick Grech (bass)/Rebop (perc)/Jim Capaldi (dr)/Jimmy Karstein (dr)
On January the 13th two concerts were held, the early show at 6:30 pm and the late show at 8:30 pm. Both were professionally recorded by Glyn Johns with the Lane Mobile Studio.
An official live album, Eric Clapton’s Rainbow Concert (Polydor 831320-2), was released on the 10th September 1973 and a CD version of it in 1987.
On the 30th May 1995 a remastered and enhanced version was published with previously unreleased bonus-tracks. ‘Eric Clapton’s Rainbow Concert’ (Polydor 527-472-2). Producers: Jon Astley and Andy Macpherson.

My initial idea was to present my version from the soundboard release but I discovered that Captain Acid already did it in January 2020 (see the StonesVault: APCD 042 - 1973.01.13 Eric Clapton's.Rainbow Concert_AcidProject [www.filefactory.com]

Then I decided to present here the reworked audience source instead.
It appeared in particular in the Empress Valley Box (EVSD001/008) and later in a Mid Valley Box (MVR 234/241).
Here the recording has been declicked and speed corrected (accelerated around +1,9%). The transitions between the tracks were also reworked so that the tracks start with the songs.

CD1:
01 – intro (#1 aud)
02 – LAYLA (#1 aud)
03 – BADGE (#1 aud)
04 – BLUES POWER (#1 aud)
05 – NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT (#1 aud)
06 – ROLL IT OVER (#1 aud)
07 – WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD (#1 aud)
08 – LITTLE WING (#1 aud)
09 – BOTTLE OF RED WINE (#1 aud)
10 – AFTER MIDNIGHT (#1 aud)
11 – BELL BOTTOM BLUES (#1 aud)
12 – PRESENCE OF THE LORD (#1 aud)
13 – TELL THE TRUTH (#1 aud)
CD2:
01 – PEARLY QUEEN (#1 aud)
02 – LET IT RAIN (#1 aud)
03 – CROSSROADS (#1 aud)

For not losing all of my work on the soundboard version, I decided to add, as bonus, the soundboard tracks not used in the official released albums. For them I equilibrated the channels, reworked the transitions between the tracks and decelerated them by -1,4%.
As I didn’t want to overrun the 80 minutes cd-r length, I shortened “Tell The Truth”… but I added the complete version in this post for the ones that don’t keep their music on cd-rs (you only had to replace my shortened version by this one).

bonus:
04 – BADGE (sdb #1)
05 – NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU’RE DOWN AND OUT (sdb #1)
06 – ROLL IT OVER (sdb #1)
07 – WHY DOES LOVE GOT TO BE SO SAD (sdb #1)
08 – LITTLE WING (sdb #1)
09 – BOTTLE OF RED WINE (sdb #1)
10 – banter (sdb #1)
11 – PRESENCE OF THE LORD (sdb #1)
12 – TELL THE TRUTH (sdb #1)
13 – PEARLY QUEEN (sdb #1)
14 – LET IT RAIN (sdb #1)
15 – CROSSROADS (sdb #1)

All the infos are taken from ‘Woodworks’ by Nico Zentgraf: the database devoted to Ronnie Wood's work with The Birds, Jeff Beck Group, Faces and many others before joining The Rolling Stones. [www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted in 2023 by StonyRoad on IORR: [iorr.org]

link valid until 15/04/23
[we.tl]
Evening show tomorrow

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-08 10:29 by StonyRoad.

Re: POST: Ron WOOD and The Palpitations: EC's Rainbow concerts (afternoon show) FP 129
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: April 8, 2023 10:40

Thank you.

Re: POST: Ron WOOD and The Palpitations: EC's Rainbow concerts (afternoon show) FP 129
Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: April 8, 2023 12:01

Thank you very much
smileys with beer

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: April 8, 2023 15:39

Thank You

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 8, 2023 16:30

thank you

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: April 8, 2023 16:52

Thanks for the upload and especially for checking where all the tracks on the official releases were taken from. This is great work/research!

N

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: April 8, 2023 22:32

Thank you StonyRoad!
thumbs up

Posted by: Andrea82 ()
Date: April 9, 2023 00:26

Thank you!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 9, 2023 02:09

Wonderful work Norbert!
Many thanks for sharing ot with all of us!
smileys with beer

Posted by: gaizoku ()
Date: April 9, 2023 03:38

Thank you.

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: April 9, 2023 07:16

I'm looking forward to listening. Thanks

Posted by: Amarant ()
Date: April 9, 2023 09:20

Thanks very much!!!

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 10, 2023 10:19

THX

Posted by: damerefugio ()
Date: April 11, 2023 11:55

Thank you Norbert!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: April 11, 2023 18:38

Thank You

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:01

Thanks, will check this out. My remaster of Rainbow Concert is in the Stones Vault, in case someone has missed it. APCD 042

[iorr.org]

i can also provide link on MEGA if someone wants it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home