Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ISO: Censored "Star Star" on CD (official releases)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2023 04:52

HOFFMAN --- Recording Index 1961 - 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 3, 2023 06:04

"Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Mini LP SHM CD JAPAN UICY-94573 (UICY-91560)"

Limited Special Edition, SHM-CD, In Studio Greatest Albums From The '70s To '00s Box Version "Paper Sleeve Collection"
(Remastered in 2009) w/Mini LP Type Paper Sleeve Cover (Gatefold Cover: UK 1st Press Type) + Obi (Japan 1st Press Type), Record Label Card
with the Serial Number, Color Pin-Up, Insert, Lyrics, Japan Original Booklet

"...2010 Japanese exclusive strictly limited edition fourteen-disc digitally remastered SHM-CD (Super High Material CD - playable on all CD players) album set, compiling the legendary rockers' studio output from 1971's "Sticky Fingers" through to and including 2005's "A Bigger Bang" - an incredible 164 recordings!

Each disc is presented in a mini LP-style replica card picture sleeve, with 7 obi strip replica (Black and Blue, Goats Head Soup, Sticky Fingers, It's Only Rock'n'Roll, Tattoo You, Under Cover and Exile On Main st), with 5 additional empty sleeves replicating rare sleeve variants (Spanish "Sticky Fingers", 3 versions of UK "Some Girls" and US "Undercover"), superbly housed in a numbered 12" x 12" deluxe glossy box with pull-out side draws and die-cut inside with removable lid plus rice paper track-listing insert UICY-91558/71."

[www.discogs.com]-

[www.discogs.com]

Date: March 3, 2023 06:06

Austria original CBS 10-trk cd album

Date: March 3, 2023 06:58

Uncensored .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2023 07:31

Japanese SACD --- UIGY-9581

Uncensored ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2023 17:45

USA CBS 1986 CK 40492 (not censored)
Barcode: 0 7464-40492-2
Rights Society: ASCAP
Other (DADC Code): DIDP 070288
Matrix / Runout (Mirrored, Variant 1): DIDP 70288 11A2
Matrix / Runout (Mirrored, Variant 2): DIDP 70288 61
Matrix / Runout (Mirrored, Variant 3): DIDP 70288 11A1

Digital Master by Vlado Meller

++++

CBS 1990 Brazil - CBS 700.217/2-450207
Matrix / Runout: CDCBS-450207 22 MASTERED BY DADC AUSTRIA

++++

2009 Universal B001281502 - Canada

++++

32DP 602 - Japan 1986
"Rolling Stones Forever On CD" series

++++

Virgin Japan 1998
(not censored)

++++

"Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues" not censored
UIGY 9581 / 2014 / Jewel case+obi
Transferred By [2011 DSD master - Flat Transferred From UK Original Analogue Master Tapes] – Mick McKenna, Richard Whittaker

++++

VJCP-25113 - Japan 1994
Barcode 4988006696013
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L151

++++

CBS / SONY - SRCS-6206 Japan 1992
Barcode: 4 988009 620626
Barcode (Scanned): 4988009620626
Rights Society: JASRAC
Matrix / Runout: DP-945 3 * ** ********
Other (Mould Text): SMJ

++++

RS 1973 GHS TOCP-66544 Japan 2006

++++

CBS SONY JAPAN 1989 PROMO 23DP 5571 s7599

++++

UICY-15882 (Japan 2020)

++++

VJCP-68033 - Virgin Japan 1999 (not censored)
Rolling Stones "Goat Head Soup" paper jacket CD

++++

Polydor 2010 UICY-94573 - Japan

++++

Japan 2011 - UICY-20178 Master: 2009 (Produced by Polydor, UK)

++++

HOLLAND Virgin

++++

“I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it..” – Mick Jagger

++++

1994 Virgin Argentina

++++

Limited Edition Japan CD 2009
Barcode: 4988005566799

++++

CBS 450207 2 Europe 1986
Issued in standard jewel case with a black tray which included a 12-page booklet (pages in the middle show the Nice Price series catalog).

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-13 06:57 by exilestones.

Date: March 3, 2023 17:48

Thank you to everyone who helped with this tread!

[www.45worlds.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-03 19:10 by exilestones.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: March 3, 2023 19:50

What is the sense of posting countless pictures of releases from everywhere when you don't write if the uncensored or censored version is on them? It is nice to see that so many versions exist but that does not help in your initial question.

Date: March 3, 2023 21:32

wiredallnight
What is the sense of posting countless pictures of releases from everywhere when you don't write if the uncensored or censored version is on them? It is nice to see that so many versions exist but that does not help in your initial question.

Enjoy them! I enjoyed them and shared them with everyone.

I'm not a stamp collector even though there are many pretty stamps.

Date: March 4, 2023 01:07

Rockman

HOFFMAN --- Recording Index 1961 - 2016

Goats Head Soup UICY-76138 2014 Japan
(Includes a sticker of "14 ON FIRE TOUR.")

From "The Rolling Stones Japan Commemoration": Mid-Price Catalog Campaign

Part of the 21-album The Rolling Stones reissue series features the albums
"Exile On Main St.," "Flashpoint," "Stripped," "Shine A Light Original Soundtrack,"
"Emotional Rescue," "Love You Live," "Tattoo You," "Goats Head Soup,"
"Undercover," "Jump Back: The Best Of The Rolling Stones," "Dirty Work," "Black
And Blue," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "Live Licks," "Some Girls," "Still Life
(American Concert 1981)," "Bridges To Babylon," "Sticky Fingers," "A Bigger
Bang," "Voodoo Lounge," and "Steel Wheels."

Includes the censored "Star Star" according to RockMan's post.

[store.universal-music.co.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-15 05:55 by exilestones.

Date: March 5, 2023 04:29

ironbelly

Positively censored version (of "Star Star") was reissued on Time Waits for No One: Anthology1971-1977 [UICY-78939].
Nothing special about the music (2009 remaster was used as a source), but surely a nice toy for a collector of stamps.

(SHM-CD)(remaster)(in Mini LP sleeve) / Limited pressing edition. Remaster
compilation album from the Rolling Stones. Releasing on SHM-CD for the first
time. Originally released in 1979. Comes in UK first pressing replica Mini LP.

IFPI L278 UICY-78939 1

Barcode: 4988031334423
Matrix / Runout: UICY-78939 1 2X Universal Logo
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L278
Mould SID Code: IFPI (Inhub) 45J6

++

Time Waits for No One: Anthology 1971–1977 is a compilation album by The Rolling Stones released in 1979 (released worldwide except for the U.S.).
It covers the period from Sticky Fingers in 1971 until Love You Live in 1977. Only two of ten single A-sides from the period are included—"Angie" and "Fool
to Cry". It was released for the first time on CD in May 2019 in Japan, making use of the standard version of the title track and the censored version of "Star Star."

Side one

"Time Waits for No One" – 6:39
From It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

"Bitch" – 3:37
From Sticky Fingers

"All Down the Line" – 3:48
From Exile on Main St.

"Dancing with Mr. D" – 4:52
From Goats Head Soup

"Angie" – 4:33
From Goats Head Soup

Side two

"Star Star" – 4:26
From Goats Head Soup

"If You Can't Rock Me"/"Get Off Of My Cloud" – 4:56
From Love You Live

"Hand of Fate" – 4:28
From Black and Blue

"Crazy Mama" – 4:34
From Black and Blue

"Fool to Cry" – 5:04
From Black and Blue

- wiki

++++

Date: March 6, 2023 16:20

Welcome to Mark Barry's Review Blog - SOUNDS GOOD, LOOKS GOOD... It features in-depth reviews for Quality CD Reissues and Remasters - all with Discography Info (Amazon Hall of Fame Reviewer).

"Goats Head Soup" by THE ROLLING STONES (1994 UK Virgin CD Remaster vs. 2009 Polydor CD Remaster - Track Differences)
- a Review by Mark
Barry

VIRGIN 1994 'Collector's Edition' CD Remaster with the 'Uncensored' "Star Star"

The 2009 Polydor CD Remaster with the 'Censored' "Pussy" lyrics version

The Censored and Uncensored versions of "Star Star" on different timeframe Remasters without either announcing that fact - it's had a chequered history on CD and I'd like to sort out what's what. One CD has the original (1994) and the newest version (2009) has the 'doctored' or 'censored' cut.

Outside of endless Japanese SHM-CD and Platinum SHM-CD reissues - for most punters wanting the 'original' album for a reasonable sum of money requires Barcode knowledge. But first let's get to that "Star Star" track that ends Side 2 of this much maligned album. It's about groupies and contains some hard-hitting lyrics running alongside a knockoff Chuck Berry riff. Although its title is "Star Star" - it's clear that Jagger is singing "You're a @#$%& @#$%& Star!" during every chorus - something the BBC apparently didn't notice when DJs first got the album and needed to play an upbeat 'fast' Stones track.

So there they were - British DJs on Aunty Beeb blasting it away on morally upright Blighty airwaves (much to the amusement of the public) - when at a launch party for the album (you could only get in if you had a mock vial of drugs sent out by the Promo people) Jagger approached a BBC Radio 1 Controller and congratulated him for having the balls to air such a tune. Drink in hand and puce-faced - the Controller quickly retired and the next day had the song quickly 'banned' from schedules (I heard that story from a BBC insider I bought records off when I was working at Reckless).

But while that 's' word was iffy to say the least - the lines "...Yeah I heard about your Polaroids...that's what I call obscene...your tricks with fruit is kind of cute...I bet you keep your pussy clean..." went too far for conservative American Radio. They did a 'doctored' cut that sort of hide the offending 'p' word. Talk is that Jagger wanted Atlantic USA (who distributed The Rolling Stones label there) to put out "Star Star" as a 45 - but they wisely went for "Angie" instead and were rewarded with another Stones No. 1 in September 1973. How does "Star Star" affect the CD Remasters and which CD Reissue has what version?

The June 1994 BOB LUDWIG Virgin CD Remaster of "Goat's Head Soup" by THE ROLLING STONES that carries the original un-doctored song came in two forms - Virgin CDV 2375 (Barcode 724383951925) as a standard jewel case - while Virgin CDVX 2375 (Barcode 724383949823) came as a stickered jewel case 'Collector's Edition' with 'Original Album Packaging' housed inside the see-through casing (total playing time 46:57 minutes). I own the CDVX Collector’s Edition. The repro'd artwork is very cool - the gatefold LP sleeve - the 'Goat's Head Soup' Photo Insert and the two-sided Inner Sleeve that came with August 1973 original Vinyl LPs are all there held within the specially constructed jewel case. Be careful because once out of the shrink-wrap these jewel cases get scuffed so easily and getting a Near Mint one is hard work. Remastered by BOB LUDWIG using the UV22 Apogee Process - that 1994 Virgin version used the English tapes and therefore included the 'uncensored' version of "Star Star" as originally released by the Rolling Stones.

But the May 2009 STEPHEN MARCUSSEN Polydor CD Remaster of "Goat's Head Soup" by the ROLLING STONES on Polydor 0602527015606 (Barcode 602527015606) apparently used the American Tapes and has 'only' the 'censored' version (without saying so) where someone played with the vocals so that the offending 'p' word is sort of muddled out. That 2009 'censored' version of the album (there is only one version on Polydor in a round corner 'super jewel case') has been used ever since. Farcical really when you hear it too. So which version do you buy and which has best Audio?

For me therein lies another problem. You will probably notice that seemingly knowledgeable Audiophile types state categorically that the 1994 CD is better - I say this is knob. It's very good - it is - and it can't be accused of what they claim is Marcussen's 'loudness' on the 2009 version.

I own both and the 2009 Remaster 'sings' compared to the older variant. This 1973 LP was always kind of 'muddy' and needed to be lifted out of that. The Marcussen version is 'loud' - it is - but man what a wallop it packs. Let's get to the album itself...

On key tracks like the beautiful "Winter" and the trippy "Can You Hear The Music?" - the 2009 Remaster truly excels. Stuff like "Dancing With Mr. D" rocks too and the largely Acoustic "Angie" can only be described as sublime Audio - not something you say about the Rolling Stones on CD very often.

The sinking into dark-eyes and rotten-teeth druginess of "Coming Down Again" has Keith taking the Lead Vocals before Mick takes over. As Richards sings in a pleading ache "...she was dying to survive..." and later "...where are all my friends..." - you can literally feel his own spirit crying out for rescue from what was surely a suicidal and inevitable path towards Heroin. Again the 2009 Remaster on this track is fantastic.

The 'case of mistaken identity' song "Heartbreaker" about cops with their trigger-happy forty-fours sounds incredible as does Billy Preston’s piano and that trio of expert brass players. And "Silver Train" rocks too - huge build of slide guitars - Mick Taylor adding so much as he always did – while Mick blows a mean Harmonica train whistle and claims he 'did not know her name' but she left with all the money anyway (yikes).

I've always loved "Goats Head Soup" - especially the whole of Side 2. Whether you buy the standard CD version of the 1994 Virgin Remaster (use Barcode 724383951925 to locate that issue) or the 2009 Polydor variant (better to my ears - use Barcode 602527015606 to locate that issue) - in 2016 - both are cheap as chips and just as tasty. "Goat's Head Soup" is overlooked in the Stones' canon of work and shouldn't be.

NOTE: The reviewer did not realize that there were two releases of "Goats Head Soup" in 2009; with and without the censored "Star Star."

video: [experience.rollingstones.com]

Date: March 7, 2023 01:48

deardoctortake1

Goats Head Soup

My understanding, and all I've ever heard was, the censoring with the obfuscated lyrics. I've never heard the actually edit out of the P word.
Where can that be found? I've not heard of early LP pressings with such an edit
thanks

I don't know of any versions/releases of "Star Star" which are actually edited, only censored.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 7, 2023 08:55

exilestones
deardoctortake1

Goats Head Soup

My understanding, and all I've ever heard was, the censoring with the obfuscated lyrics. I've never heard the actually edit out of the P word.
thanks

I don't know of any versions/releases of "Star Star" which are actually edited, only censored.
Look carefully on the scans provided by Rockman. Regular and censored versions 4.24, 4.25. South African version 3.55. It is both censored and edited.

Date: March 8, 2023 18:33

ironbelly
exilestones
deardoctortake1

Goats Head Soup

thanks

Look carefully on the scans provided by Rockman. Regular and censored versions 4.24, 4.25. South African version 3.55. It is both censored and edited.

Nice catch Ironbelly! I learn a lot from you. Thanks.

Once I heard the horrible bass drum throughout the song, that was enough for me to identify the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-08 19:24 by exilestones.

Date: March 8, 2023 19:32

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: March 8, 2023 20:49

ironbelly

It's not really edited, just faded out a little earlier.

Date: March 9, 2023 02:31

wiredallnight
ironbelly

It's not really edited, just faded out a little earlier.

They edited out the last lines of the song in the South African release, "I'll ball ya, girl. I'm tellin' the world. I'm tellin' the world."

Date: March 11, 2023 07:39

US 2009 "Goats Head Soup"

Barcode: 6 02527 01560 6

Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): DIDX-222140 1
Mastering SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI L332
Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 7251

Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): DIDX-222140 1
Mastering SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI L332
Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 720V

Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): DIDX-222140 3
Mastering SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI L328
Mould SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI CC303

++++++

SID Codes - The Source Identification Code - is an anti-piracy standard
defined by the IFPI and Philips in order to track the source of optical discs
mastering and replication. The use of SID Codes started in 1994 and grew until
nowadays it has become almost systematic. Since not all plants have both
mastering and replication facilities, two identification codes have been implemented:

the Mastering SID Code that identifies the plant that manufactured the master,

the Mould SID Code that identifies the plant where the disc was replicated.

From reading more about the SID Codes, I believe the CD Master Code that (starts with IFPI L---)
is the code for that CD's master file (the exact music on the CD). Perhaps the matrix number
is also an idicator of the contend of the CD.

The SID Master Code for US CD variant 1 = IFPI L332 - Matrix DIDX-222140 1
We know from the list of SID Master Codes (below) that variant 1 contains the censored "Star Star."

The SID Master Code for US CD variant 3 = IFPI L328 - Matrix DIDX-222140 3
We know from the list of SID Master Codes (below) that variant 3 contains the uncensored "Star Star."

Germany 2009 "Goats Head Soup"

The 2009 Polydor Goats Head Soup CD made in Germany has many varients but only two
SID Master Codes IFPI LV27 (matrix 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52333628) & IFPI LV27 (matrix 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809).

GHS 2009 Europe

Barcode (Scanned): 602527015606
Barcode (Text): 6 02527 01560 6
Label Code: LC000309
Rights Society: BIEM/SABAM

Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): [4 Universal logos] 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52333628
Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 Inner ring): MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC A
Mastering SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI LV27
Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 0126

Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): [4 Universal logos] 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809
Matrix / Runout (Variant 2 Inner ring): MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC B
Mastering SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI LV26
Mould SID Code (Variant 2): not entered
Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): not entered
Matrix / Runout (Variant 3 Inner ring): not entered
Mastering SID Code (Variant 3): not entered
Mould SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI 0118

Matrix / Runout (Variant 4): [4 Universal logos] 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52333628
Matrix / Runout (Variant 4 Inner ring): MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC E
Mastering SID Code (Variant 4): IFPI LV27
Mould SID Code (Variant 4): IFPI 0119

Matrix / Runout (Variant 5): ['Universal' logo x4] 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809
Matrix / Runout (Variant 5): MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC C
Mastering SID Code (Variant 5): IFPI LV26
Mould SID Code (Variant 5): IFPI 0124

Matrix / Runout (Variant 6): ['Universal' logo x4] 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809
Matrix / Runout (Variant 6): MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC C
Mastering SID Code (Variant 6): IFPI LV26
Mould SID Code (Variant 6): IFPI 0130

Mould SID Code

IFPI 50** = USA
IFPI 72** = USA

Mastering SID

IFPI L332 = USA
IFPI L327 = USA
IFPI L328 = USA
IFPI LV26 = Germany
IFPI LV27 = Germany

Mould SID Code indicates the plant where the disc was replicated and a serial
number which can be set freely by the plant. It consists of the letters "IFPI"
followed by a four or five-alphanumeric digit code. The first two digits (in
the case of a four-digit SID Code) or the first three digits (in the case of a
five-digit SID Code) are assigned to the operator of the manufacturing or mastering plant.

Mould SID Code

Mastering SID Code - sometimes also referred to as LBR Code (Laser Beam Recorder Code) indicates
the plant and LBR that manufactured the master or stamper used for the disc production. It consists of
the letters "IFPI" followed by a four or five-alphanumeric digit code commencing with the letter "L".

Mastering SID Code

[www.madonnadiscography.pl].

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++

Label Code: LC000309
Rights Society: BIEM/SABAM
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L555
Matrix / Runout: Sony DADC Universal
Matrix / Runout: 2701560 15
Mould SID Code: not entered
Mould SID Code (Variant): IFPI 947P

GHS 2009 USA

Barcode: 6 02527 01560 6

GHS 2009 Russia

Barcode: 4 605026 702080
Matrix / Runout: 4605026702080
Mastering SID Code: IFPI LW80
Mould SID Code: IFPI ZK-16

GHS 2009 Argentina

Barcode (Text): 602527015606
Matrix / Runout: 48073 - L.D.A.-INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA - UNIVERSAL - 2701560
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L701
Mould SID Code: IFPI 1R09

GHS 2009 Canada

Barcode (Scanned): 602527015606
Matrix / Runout: M0S1 A9 UME B001281502-2 AG02
Mastering SID Code: IFPILT40
Mould SID Code: IFPI 2UP7

SID Codes List [www.yumpu.com]

Date: March 11, 2023 12:03

exilestones
Welcome to stamp collectors community winking smiley.

IFPI codes for modern discs are important. They allow to confirm the CD is legal but not Chinese counterfeit. Also, they might be used to track back the defective pressing.

But these codes do not tell you what digital material is on the CD. IFPI codes are IDs for factories.

The information about the actual content of the program can be found through the matrix number/runout. That long line of letters and digits around the hub of the CD. The coding is individual for each plant and company. And here the fun begins. That is real hardcore 'stamps collecting' stuff winking smiley.

In the case of USA:
DIDX - Digital IDentification eXternal, is a Sony Records identification code that was used to track the manufacturing of compact discs by Sony for other companies. This disc was pressed by Sony plant in the USA, not Polydor. That is why matrix begins with DIDX.
222140 - internal number for Sony plant (equivalent to work order or catalog number), the second part of DIDX identification code.
1 - number of glass master(ing attempt). Glass master is the thing from which all the CDs of the given title will be replicated. Actually, it is the initial stamp from which 'fathers' will be made'; from 'fathers' - 'mothers' will be made and from 'mothers' - 'stamplers' will be made; finally, 'stamplers' will be loaded to moulding machines and CDs will be replicated. That is the same replication circle as for old-good records (vinyl).
We know that DIDX-222140 1 contains censored version

This one does not matter. It is made from the same glass master(ing attempt) #1, glass master was prepared using the same LBR L332, but the CD was replicated at different moulding machine. Digitally it is exact clone to Variant 1.

DIDX-222140 is the same, internal Sony code.
3 - the third glass master(ing attempt). Glass master was prepared using different LBR L328 (which, actually, does not matter much, L332 at that moment might be busy with different process).
And here we have uncensored version of the song.
The only thing that bothers me in this case is IFPI CC303. That is not Sony US IFPI code but Chinese. I'd like to look at the hub of that disc more closely. In China they used to replicate everything almost to perfection. But they always missed tiny details. Like font style. Also, that CC303 - it does not look right at all.

Anybody here with Goat's Head Soup CD with
???
Can you provide a scan/photo of the hub the CD to see the details clearly? Also, is it possible to make a rip of the CD using EAC to check the peak values of the tracks?

Likewise for Polydor EU.
06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809
06025 270 156-0 - internal Polydor number and catalog number
01 - glass master(ing attempt)
* - ID for glass mastering location (LBR). Those '*', '/' and '+' date back to early 80's. They were used at PolyGram pressing plant in Hanover. A kind of tradition.
52294809 - work order.
This one came with censored track as stated back on the 1st page of this thread.

06025 270 156-0 01 * 52333628
Still the same 06025 270 156-0 01 *, because, the same catalog number for the CD and (apparently) it was the 1st glass master(ing attempt) for given CD. But different work order 52333628. This one might have uncensored track. One should check that disc in person. I mean, to listen to the actual physical CD. I do not own this one and I do not want to produce another 'urban legend'.

Let me explain the situation with matrix strings with Polydor EU.
As an example that infamous She Was Hot/I Think I'm Going Mad disc from Singles 1971-2006 box set will be used.
The initial pressing had a glitch (defect of production) at the beginning of I Think I'm Going Mad
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 + 52696414

After complains they issued and offered a replacement. That disc was without the glitch but it came with wrong cue point. I.e., the beginning of I Think I'm Going Mad (approximately 1 sec.) was firmly 'glued' in digital to the end of She Was Hot. No problem if you listen the disc as the whole thing. But if you'll try to listen I Think I'm Going Mad alone, the first second of the track will be missing.
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 * 52739105

After another set of complains they issued another replacement. This time everything was corrected right
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 + 52760164

As you see, catalog number and glass master 01 were the same for all discs. In two cases they used the same glass mastering location (LBR ID) '+'. But the work orders are different.

With GHS issued by Polydor EU we have similar situation, i.e., different work orders - 52294809 and 52333628. Thus, the content of the CDs might be different.

I am tired of typing winking smiley.

PS. Canadian disc carries old fashion ID that was used by WEA US and Cinram Canada in the 90's - M0S1. It stands for 'mother' #0, 'stampler' #1.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-11 14:07 by ironbelly.

Date: March 11, 2023 19:51

ironbelly
exilestones
Welcome to stamp collectors community winking smiley.

I didn’t actually join the stamp collectors, yet. I’m tempted to find out which 2009 releases of Goats Head Soup have the censored “Star Star” rarity. After I buy the CDs, find out what I want to know, write the definitive essay on the censored “Star Star” on CD, then I have a pile of dust collectors which I spent a lot of money.

I think we gathered enough information to share so people can find this gem on CD. We won’t have to listen to poor-sounding bootlegs.

IFPI codes for modern discs are important. They allow to confirm the CD is legal but not Chinese counterfeit. Also, they might be used to track back the defective pressing.

But these codes do not tell you what digital material is on the CD. IFPI codes are IDs for factories.

The information about the actual content of the program can be found through the matrix number/runout. That long line of letters and digits around the hub of the CD. The coding is individual for each plant and company. And here the fun begins. That is real hardcore 'stamps collecting' stuff winking smiley.

In the case of USA:
DIDX - Digital IDentification eXternal, is a Sony Records identification code that was used to track the manufacturing of compact discs by Sony for other companies. This disc was pressed by Sony plant in the USA, not Polydor. That is why matrix begins with DIDX.

Oh, cool! DIDX is an acronym.

222140 - internal number for Sony plant (equivalent to work order or catalog number), the second part of DIDX identification code.

1 - number of glass master(ing attempt). Glass master is the thing from which all the CDs of the given title will be replicated. Actually, it is the initial stamp from which 'fathers' will be made'; from 'fathers' - 'mothers' will be made and from 'mothers' - 'stamplers' will be made; finally, 'stamplers' will be loaded to moulding machines and CDs will be replicated. That is the same replication circle as for old-good records (vinyl).

We know that DIDX-222140 1 contains censored version.

This one does not matter. It is made from the same glass master(ing attempt) #1, glass master was prepared using the same LBR L332,

LBR Code (Laser Beam Recorder Code) – The Laser Beam Recorder is used to make the Master Disc. LBR L332 identifies a particular machine.

but the CD was replicated at different moulding machine. Digitally it is exact clone to Variant 1.

DIDX-222140 is the same, internal Sony code.

3 - the third glass master(ing attempt). Glass master was prepared using different LBR L328 (which, actually, does not matter much, L332 at that moment might be busy with different process).
And here we have uncensored version of the song.
The only thing that bothers me in this case is IFPI CC303. That is not Sony US IFPI code but Chinese.

I Googled IFPI CC303 and there were several pirated CDs by many artists with the IFPI CC303 SID Code.

[www.google.com]

This information below which I posted came from Discogs.

I'd like to look at the hub of that disc more closely. In China they used to replicate everything almost to perfection. But they always missed tiny details. Like font style. Also, that CC303 - it does not look right at all.

It is obvious if a CD has the IFPI CC303 code, then it is pirated in China.

Anybody here with Goat's Head Soup CD with

???
Can you provide a scan/photo of the hub the CD to see the details clearly? Also, is it possible to make a rip of the CD using EAC to check the peak values of the tracks?

I've been searching for the US-censored "Star Star" Blake was the only person lucky enough to get a DIDX-222140 3. I've asked every seller on eBay for the codes of the 2009 GHS CD they are selling.

Likewise for Polydor EU.
06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809

06025 270 156-0 - internal Polydor number and catalog number
01 - glass master(ing attempt)
* = ID for glass mastering location (LBR).

Those '*', '/' and '+' date back to early 80's. They were used at PolyGram pressing plant in Hanover. A kind of tradition.
52294809 - work order.

This one came with censored track as stated back on the 1st page of this thread.

blakeeik

My US copy = Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): DIDX-222140 3 = uncensored
My EU copy = Matrix / Runout: 06025 270 156-0 01 * 52294809 = censored

Maybe Blake hit the jackpot with pirated CDs? I have a suspicion that only the censored version was issued in the USA. I have a suspicion that only the uncensored was released in Europe.

06025 270 156-0 01 * 52333628
Still the same 06025 270 156-0 01 *, because, the same catalog number for the CD and (apparently) it was the 1st glass master(ing attempt) for given CD. But different work order 52333628. This one might have uncensored track. One should check that disc in person. I mean, to listen to the actual physical CD. I do not own this one and I do not want to produce another 'urban legend'.

Just when I was thinking I won't bother tracking down every CD mastered with 2009 masters for GHS and thinking this thread was about to fade away, it's getting very interesting.

Let me explain the situation with matrix strings with Polydor EU. As an example that infamous She Was Hot/I Think I'm Going Mad disc from Singles 1971-2006 box set will be used.

The initial pressing had a glitch (defect of production) at the beginning of I Think I'm Going Mad
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 + 52696414

After complaints, they issued and offered a replacement. That disc was without the glitch but it came with wrong cue point. I.e., the beginning of I Think I'm Going Mad (approximately 1 sec.) was firmly 'glued' in digital to the end of She Was Hot. No problem if you listen the disc as the whole thing. But if you'll try to listen I Think I'm Going Mad alone, the first second of the track will be missing.
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 * 52739105

After another set of complaints, they issued another replacement. This time everything was corrected right
Matrix 06025 275 978-3 01 + 52760164

As you see, catalog number and glass master 01 were the same for all discs. In two cases they used the same glass mastering location (LBR ID) '+'. But the work orders are different.

I wonder which one I have.

With GHS issued by Polydor EU we have similar situation, i.e., different work orders - 52294809 and 52333628. Thus, the content of the CDs might be different.

I am tired of typing winking smiley.

PS. Canadian disc carries old fashion ID that was used by WEA US and Cinram Canada in the 90's - M0S1. It stands for 'mother' #0, 'stampler' #1.

Date: March 12, 2023 01:19

SID code is IFPI0126 and the matrix code is [4 Universal logos] 06025 270 156-0 + 52333628

The US versions of the 2009 GHS didn't not have the red sticker or the transparent rounded "Super Jewel Case."

[www.ebay.com]

Date: March 13, 2023 07:52

Mastering SID Codes

The Mastering SID Code is always found in the matrix area/mirror band of a CD in the same sphere/line as the Matrix Number. Mastering SID Codes are located in the metallized region of the disc.

A Mastering SID Code must always start "IFPI" followed by 'L' and 3 or 4 characters. The 'L' indicates it's a mastering code and not a mould code.

A Mastering SID code identifies the glass master used to produce the CD.

++++++

MOULD SID Codes

A Mould SID code also starts with "IFPI" followed by any letter apart from "L", "I", "O", "S" and "Q" followed by a 2-digit or 3-digit plant code.

The Mould SID code identifies the pressing plant that pressed the CD and is located in the plastic see-through inner ring of the disc.

[web.archive.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-15 03:59 by exilestones.

Date: March 13, 2023 13:01

First of all thanks to blakeeik for presenting material for evaluation.
I regret to inform that the CD that is listed on discogs with credentials
is a Chinese counterfeit.
Here are visual
This is matrix of the legal US editon

And this is an image of the matrix for Chinese counterfeit.

- different shape of the CD.
- the hub is partially covered with Al foil
- the width of the inner mirror band and barcode are different
- fonts for DIDX. Watch for letter D width, shape of I and X, 'foot' for number 1 etc.
- finally, ifpi CC303.
This is made in China for sure.

A note about CC303. One can find information online that IFPI CC303 (or similar) belongs to Japan. It is not true, it is China. This is a kind of misunderstanding that is present with online databases like discogs or musik-sammler. A lot of big-fancy boxes by well-known artists were pirated in China in the past 10-15 years (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Elvis, Madonna, etc.). Usually they copied Japanese made box sets. For The Rolling Stones the following were pirated:
2008 - The Rolling Stones: Greatest Albums in the Sixties (17 SHM-CDs+DVD 12” box) [UICY-91317]. Actually, counterfeit box contains not SHM but regular CDs). Boxes with numbers 001962, 000003 are fakes.
2010 - The Rolling Stones – Remasters, US version [600753204429] (14 Rolling Stones CDs 1971 – 2005).
2011 - The Rolling Stones – The Singles 1971-2006 [0602527603469]. box with number 011914 is fake.
2016 - The Rolling Stones In Mono (several counterfeit versions exist).
They even printed SHM-CD logos on the hub of those CDs. Here is an example with CC309

These boxes appeared on ebay and other selling/trading platforms for a fraction of the price of the legal products. They were really well made and usually it was really hard to spot a fake from online images. As a result, a lot of people purchased those and uploaded unconfirmed or wrong information to the databases. Nowadays some corrections were made but not to all releases.

Now back to censored-non censored business.
The track that is claimed to be non-censored is still censored winking smiley. They removed the weird effect that covers up word 'pu**y', but they left behind the jamming in the vicinity of 'John Wayne'(2.58-3.01). So, this version is not totally non-censored. If you want a version of Star, Star without funny effects - head for any CBS or Virgin CDs or Japanese SHM-CDs that were made using flat transfers of the original master tapes, or 2020 reissue.

In terms of digital - both tracks (censored and partially censored) came with the same mastering (if you can call squashing of the Dynamic Range to DR 5 a mastering). Digitally they are clones apart of small region associated with the word 'pu**y'. But again - the track that was claimed to be non-censored on 2009 remaster is still censored.

I believe there must be partially non-censored version on the official 2009 release. Chinese guys got it from somewhere. But for that one you should check late EU or late US editions. Sorry, I can not help with those, I do not have 2009 remasters in collection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-14 01:15 by ironbelly.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: March 14, 2023 01:22

Thanks a lot to exilestones and ironbelly for their research.

So, can anyone (with an original CD not a Chinese pirate) confirm that the any of the releases with "p*$$y" also had:

a. John Wayne
b. no John Wayne

?

thanks

Date: March 14, 2023 02:39

ironbelly wrote:

is a Chinese counterfeit.

You certainly made sense of a few issues I wondered about with some things I read about the 2009 GHS releases.

"The track that is claimed to be non-censored is still censored. They removed the weird effect that covers up word 'pu**y',
but they left behind the jamming in the vicinity of 'John Wayne'(2.58-3.01). So, this version is not totally non-censored."

I only knew of two versions of 'Star Star' on Goats Head Soup'; censored or not censored.

I remember reading there was a partially censored 'Star Star' (GHS 2009) release with the word 'pussy' in the song, and has the
guitar distortion over the 'I bet you don't get John Wayne' before he dies.'

It made no sense to include the p-word with John Wayne being distorted with guitar distortion.

"... partially non-censored version on the official 2009 release. Chinese guys got it from somewhere."

or maybe they created it, idk.

"First of all thanks to blakeeik for presenting material for evaluation.
I regret to inform you that the CD that is listed
on Discogs with credentials."

Yes, Thank You. You got the half-censored 'Star Star!' It is a very rare rarity! The p-word is there and John Wayne gets the
guitar distortion treatment! It may be counterfeit, but it's a collector's item for sure.

++++

Mastering SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI L320
is also a counterfeit.

Mastering SID Code IFPI L320 = Digital Audio Technologies Australia
Mould SID Code CC303 shows Made in Japan

They printed the Mould SID Code CC303 backward.

Manufactured by Digital Audio Technologies Australia in Japan for a USA release? I thought, "WTF!"

At first, I was confused by the SID Codes. A USA matrix number "DIDX-222140" with the "3" at the end indicates a 3rd USA variant.

Then the SID Codes were strange "CC303" made in Japan by "IFPI L320" Digital Audio Technologies Australia for a USA release.

++

Speaking of Discogs.... I tried to help Wiki but add/corrected some Rolling Stones information. My submission was rejected due to my using Discogs as a reference.

Date: March 14, 2023 10:42

blakeeik
Thanks a lot to exilestones and ironbelly for their research.

So, can anyone (with an original CD not a Chinese pirate) confirm that the any of the releases with "p*$$y" also had:

a. John Wayne
b. no John Wayne

?

thanks
Our own Urbansteel sent me a confirmation.
Official European version with matrix 06025 270 156-0 01 + 52333628 has 'pu**y' but John Wayne is jammed

So far no official 2009 version with both spots - 'pu**y' and 'John Wayne' - not censored.

Date: March 14, 2023 11:08

exilestones

"... partially non-censored version on the official 2009 release. Chinese guys got it from somewhere."

or maybe they created it, idk.
No. It was officially issued like that. See my post above.

exilestones
You got the half-censored 'Star Star!' It is a very rare rarity!
Well, it was all over the place in Europe a couple of years ago...

exilestones
They printed the Mould SID Code CC303 backward.
Actually, it does not matter. The position of ifpi code has no correlation to the matrix string. It depends on the orientation of stampler in the moulding machine. That is human factor, you can mount the stampler with any angle in the plane with respect to the central part of the mould and ifpi marker.

exilestones
Mould SID Code CC303 shows Made in Japan
Wrong. CC303 belongs to China. Once again.
1. Chinese guys made a lot of counterfeits on their factories. One factory has moulding machine with ifpi CC303 (actually CC309 too).
2. Chinese guys made counterfeits of various big-fancy Japanese box sets (including replicas of SHM-CDs). These counterfeits have ifpi CC303 or CC309
3. These counterfeits of big-fancy Japanese box sets (with ifpi CC303) were sold at the market at the fraction of the price of the legit products.
4. People purchased these counterfeits (with ifpi CC303) and uploaded information on different sites (including discogs). But they did it blindly, without checking for counterfeit.
5. This is how ifpi CC303 got connected to Japan.
But this is not correct. ifpi CC303 is a marker of Chinese counterfeit. It has nothing to do with Japan!

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: March 14, 2023 19:24

Thanks ironbelly.

So unless someone can dispute it, the true uncensored version was absent since 2009 until the 2020 deluxe release.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 14, 2023 22:41

claudinedidit
I never knew there was a version where they protected the population from the terms pussy and John Wayne but had @#$%& over and over again. Is this it?

Censored - labeled as the US radio edit

For years, I've been enjoying the hilarious South African version. It makes me laugh every time.

South African edit

AMAZING!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home