Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: RON WOOD with JEFF BECK GROUP Series Vol 04 - 26 July 1968 - LOS ANGELES
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: February 25, 2023 10:21

Ron Wood
with the
JEFF BECK GROUP
(1967 - 1969)
This series is dedicated to the first version of the Jeff Beck Group, the one that included Ron Wood in its line-up.
It is especially dedicated to the late Jeff Beck who passed away on January 10, 2023.
A big thank you to all the people who recorded these shows and who shared them and to my two accomplices nzb and Jaap (Stonesmuziekfan) who gave me the benefit of their versions of these shows and their advice and support ... and therefore without whom this project would not have been possible.

Volume 04:
26th July 1968
- LOS ANGELES -
Shrine Exposition Hall

26th July 1968: THE JEFF BECK GROUP.: Los Angeles, California, Shrine Exposition Hall, 'Pinnacle Dance Concert'
Line-up: RW (bass,bvoc)/Jeff Beck (gtr, some voc)/Rod Stewart (voc, some gtr)/Micky Waller (dr)

01 - intro
02 - You Shook Me/Let Me Love You
03 - Morning Dew
04 - Jeff's Boogie
05 - band introduction
06 - Sweet Little Angel
07 - Hi Ho Silver Lining
08 - Beck's Bolero
09 - Rock My Plimsoul
10 - Shapes Of Things
11 - Rice Pudding
12 - When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
13 - I Ain't Superstitious

Our versions were the same as the Empress Valley release “Messin’ With The Blues” (EVSD 489/491). This recording is a very good testimony but unfortunately it’s lossy and saturated in some parts. I cannot do much against this but I reworked the transitions between the tracks and deleted microgaps and I declicked the recording.

Note a fade in/out after “Hi Ho Silver Lining” and a 20 seconds nearly without music in ‘Let Me Love You’.

All the infos are taken from ‘Woodworks’ by Nico Zentgraf: the database devoted to Ronnie Wood's work with The Birds, Jeff Beck Group, Faces and many others before joining The Rolling Stones. [www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted in 2023 by StonyRoad on IORR: [iorr.org]

link valid until 04/03/23
[we.tl]

For the July 24 show, please refer to Captain Acid's version. (See Keessie's download link below).
next volume on Monday

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-25 14:52 by StonyRoad.

Re: POST: RON WOOD with JEFF BECK GROUP Series Vol 04 - 26 July 1968 - LOS ANGELES
Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: February 25, 2023 11:04

Jeff Beck Group - Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 1968-07-24
CAPTAIN ACID REMASTER - VERSION 3
SOUNDBOARD
Hi Jeff Beck Group fans,
This could be the best recording of this band, at least that i know of.
I did phase & level correction and new EQ.
For this version 3 i speed corrected tracks, it was running too fast
All tracks remastered by Captain Acid, January 2023
Setlist:
01 You Shook Me
02 Let Me Love You
03 Morning Dew
04 Jeff's Boogie
05 The Sun Is Shining aka Blues Deluxe
06 Hi Ho Silver Lining
Jeff Beck - guitar, vocals
Rod Stewart - vocals
Ron Wood - bass
Micky Waller - drums
KSAN-FM Broadcast from The Bill Graham Master Tapes Weekend
Reel To Reel Master To Dat
Lineage KSAN-FM Broadcast To Reel To Reel Master To Dat
From Wolfgang's Vault:
"After exiting the Yardbirds in 1967, Jeff Beck recruited Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Mickey Waller to help him pursue his own musical direction. Although the group lasted a relatively short time, the two albums they released, Truth and Beck-Ola, remain musical touchstones of hard rock that influenced countless musicians that followed. The first of these, 1968's Truth LP, remains one of the most groundbreaking rock albums of the era, featuring explosive soaring guitar lines over a pummeling rhythm section. Hendrix and Cream were pursuing similar directions within their own power trio formats, but the addition of Rod Stewart's passionate and distinctive vocals, in addition to Beck's innovative guitar playing, gave the group an intensity few could match. This set, recorded at Fillmore West during the summer of 1968, when the band was opening a bill featuring Moby Grape, captures the group shortly after the release of Truth - and performing at a level that is simply staggering.
They begin the set with a take of Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me," which soars directly into "Let Me Love You," both featured on the Truth LP. Within seconds, the band is blazing with energy. Stewart's passionately raspy vocals and Beck's searing guitar lines cannot be ignored. The biting guitar tone and use of sustain and a compelling call and response section between Beck and Stewart are so effectively realized that it is no wonder so many tried to copy the formula. None of this was lost on Jimmy Page, as this sound and approach virtually served as a blueprint for Led Zeppelin's live sound the following year.
A cover of Bonnie Dobson's apocalyptic vision, "Morning Dew," follows. Beginning sparse and foreboding, the song gradually builds momentum, the first verse highlighting Stewart's vocals before the band comes in hard for the second verse. The song vacillates back and forth, but after the return to sparseness in the third verse, they fly off into a furious musical rage. Ron Wood approaches the bass like a guitarist, adding fills and counterpoint, in addition to a fluid bottom end. Beck utilizes the wah-wah to add squawking sounds of death before they ease back down, tagging the song with a sad introspective little guitar coda at the end.
Following "Morning Dew," Stewart announces that Jeff is going to liven things up a bit with the showcase song from his Yardbirds days, "Jeff's Boogie." Incredible as that original Yardbirds recording was, it is tame in comparison to this. The song alternates between hard swinging rhythm and absolutely scorching solos, gaining in excitement and creativity with every pass. At one point, Beck interjects some humor by whipping into the immediately recognizable theme song from The Beverly Hillbillies! This explosive soloing continues until they suddenly stop, take a brief gasp of air, then continue the staggering barrage in double time! Truly breathtaking. "The Sun is Shining," composed by Elmore James, is a delicious slow blues number, featuring Beck and company playing in a more traditional manner. It's another winning performance where one can truly appreciate the nuances of Beck's tone, touch and technique.
Possibly as homage to the hippiedom of San Francisco, Beck closes the set with the rarely performed single, "Hi Ho Silver Lining," taking on the lead vocal himself. This obscure single was as close as Beck ever went toward pure pop psychedelia. With Stewart helping out on the sing-a-long chorus, and demented guitar solos galore, this performance smokes the original single in every possible way. Beck thanks the Fillmore audience, announces that Moby Grape is up next and the band exits the stage to a well deserved ovation."

Downloadlink: [we.tl]
valid 4 maart 2023

Re: POST: RON WOOD with JEFF BECK GROUP Series Vol 04 - 26 July 1968 - LOS ANGELES
Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: February 25, 2023 12:09

THX

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: February 25, 2023 12:18

Thank you.

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: February 25, 2023 13:09

Thank you very much
smileys with beer
smileys with beer

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: February 25, 2023 13:20

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 25, 2023 14:57

THANK YOU

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 25, 2023 17:33

smileys with beer

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 25, 2023 19:27

Thank You again

When Something Is Wrong With My Baby i The Sun Is Shining or Blues Deluxe i guess.?

Posted by: tangerinegaz ()
Date: February 25, 2023 20:45

Thank you

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 25, 2023 22:33

Thanks a lot Norbert!

Posted by: Amarant ()
Date: February 25, 2023 23:15

Thanks very much!!!

Posted by: gaizoku ()
Date: February 26, 2023 01:09

Thank you.

Posted by: damerefugio ()
Date: February 26, 2023 02:41

Thank You Norbert!smileys with beer

Posted by: damerefugio ()
Date: February 26, 2023 02:42

Keessie
Jeff Beck Group - Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 1968-07-24
CAPTAIN ACID REMASTER - VERSION 3
SOUNDBOARD
Hi Jeff Beck Group fans,
This could be the best recording of this band, at least that i know of.
I did phase & level correction and new EQ.
For this version 3 i speed corrected tracks, it was running too fast
All tracks remastered by Captain Acid, January 2023
Setlist:
01 You Shook Me
02 Let Me Love You
03 Morning Dew
04 Jeff's Boogie
05 The Sun Is Shining aka Blues Deluxe
06 Hi Ho Silver Lining
Jeff Beck - guitar, vocals
Rod Stewart - vocals
Ron Wood - bass
Micky Waller - drums
KSAN-FM Broadcast from The Bill Graham Master Tapes Weekend
Reel To Reel Master To Dat
Lineage KSAN-FM Broadcast To Reel To Reel Master To Dat
From Wolfgang's Vault:
"After exiting the Yardbirds in 1967, Jeff Beck recruited Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Mickey Waller to help him pursue his own musical direction. Although the group lasted a relatively short time, the two albums they released, Truth and Beck-Ola, remain musical touchstones of hard rock that influenced countless musicians that followed. The first of these, 1968's Truth LP, remains one of the most groundbreaking rock albums of the era, featuring explosive soaring guitar lines over a pummeling rhythm section. Hendrix and Cream were pursuing similar directions within their own power trio formats, but the addition of Rod Stewart's passionate and distinctive vocals, in addition to Beck's innovative guitar playing, gave the group an intensity few could match. This set, recorded at Fillmore West during the summer of 1968, when the band was opening a bill featuring Moby Grape, captures the group shortly after the release of Truth - and performing at a level that is simply staggering.
They begin the set with a take of Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me," which soars directly into "Let Me Love You," both featured on the Truth LP. Within seconds, the band is blazing with energy. Stewart's passionately raspy vocals and Beck's searing guitar lines cannot be ignored. The biting guitar tone and use of sustain and a compelling call and response section between Beck and Stewart are so effectively realized that it is no wonder so many tried to copy the formula. None of this was lost on Jimmy Page, as this sound and approach virtually served as a blueprint for Led Zeppelin's live sound the following year.
A cover of Bonnie Dobson's apocalyptic vision, "Morning Dew," follows. Beginning sparse and foreboding, the song gradually builds momentum, the first verse highlighting Stewart's vocals before the band comes in hard for the second verse. The song vacillates back and forth, but after the return to sparseness in the third verse, they fly off into a furious musical rage. Ron Wood approaches the bass like a guitarist, adding fills and counterpoint, in addition to a fluid bottom end. Beck utilizes the wah-wah to add squawking sounds of death before they ease back down, tagging the song with a sad introspective little guitar coda at the end.
Following "Morning Dew," Stewart announces that Jeff is going to liven things up a bit with the showcase song from his Yardbirds days, "Jeff's Boogie." Incredible as that original Yardbirds recording was, it is tame in comparison to this. The song alternates between hard swinging rhythm and absolutely scorching solos, gaining in excitement and creativity with every pass. At one point, Beck interjects some humor by whipping into the immediately recognizable theme song from The Beverly Hillbillies! This explosive soloing continues until they suddenly stop, take a brief gasp of air, then continue the staggering barrage in double time! Truly breathtaking. "The Sun is Shining," composed by Elmore James, is a delicious slow blues number, featuring Beck and company playing in a more traditional manner. It's another winning performance where one can truly appreciate the nuances of Beck's tone, touch and technique.
Possibly as homage to the hippiedom of San Francisco, Beck closes the set with the rarely performed single, "Hi Ho Silver Lining," taking on the lead vocal himself. This obscure single was as close as Beck ever went toward pure pop psychedelia. With Stewart helping out on the sing-a-long chorus, and demented guitar solos galore, this performance smokes the original single in every possible way. Beck thanks the Fillmore audience, announces that Moby Grape is up next and the band exits the stage to a well deserved ovation."

Downloadlink: [we.tl]
valid 4 maart 2023

Thank You!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-26 02:43 by damerefugio.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: February 26, 2023 13:50

Thank you very much - both Keesie and Norbert!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 26, 2023 14:03

Thanks a lot Norbert!

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: February 28, 2023 17:09

Thank you to both of you

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: March 18, 2023 23:04

Available in Stonesvault here [iorr.org]

Posted by: SlipperyBob ()
Date: March 20, 2023 02:44

Many thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home