Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ISO: Rolling Stones 3-D video from Fox TV Special
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 13, 2023 18:20

ISO: Rolling Stones 3-D video from Fox TV Special from May 30, 1990.

Did this 3-D video ever appear on any unofficial releases?

Re: ISO: Rolling Stones 3-D video from Fox TV Special
Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 13, 2023 18:23

The Film was called at the MAX. This used to be a 3D cinema and the whole Film was filmed with two lense cameras.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 13, 2023 19:33

Cool. Thank you for posting. I hope they consider doing the updated IMAX 3D technique, always been a fan of the medium.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: February 13, 2023 19:56

micha063
The Film was called at the MAX. This used to be a 3D cinema and the whole Film was filmed with two lense cameras.

No, At The MAX is something different. This was not in 3D, just a huge screen. What exile means is this one (from [www.nzentgraf.de]):

900216C 16th February: Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome. Film-shootings.
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR)
- 2000 Light Years From Home (MJ/KR)
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll (MJ/KR)
Note: Shooting of 3-D segments for the upcoming Fox rebroadcast of the Atlantic City-special on the 30th May.

It's only these 3 songs in 3D that they replaced in the usual Atlantic City concert (all other songs were from Atlantic City and not in 3D). I must have it somewhere on a DVDR but I remember it's quite dissappointing.

It is also included as a bonus on this bootleg DVD: [www.discogs.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 20:19 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 13, 2023 23:26

These 3 songs were cool to see but it was in the typical old fashioned red and blue lenses. Today's IMAX 3D looks like reality. If you haven't seen a film and are interested I highly recommend it.

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: February 14, 2023 00:05

I remember being shown on TV and we had to get the red and blue 3D blasses prior showing on tv. I still have those glasses.

I also remember that the 3D efect did not work with everyone.
...and yes it was only 3 songs in 3D.

Date: February 14, 2023 02:23

wiredallnight
micha063

No, At The MAX is something different. This was not in 3D, just a huge screen. What exile means is this one (from [www.nzentgraf.de]):

900216C 16th February: Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome. Film-shootings.
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR)
- 2000 Light Years From Home (MJ/KR)
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll (MJ/KR)
Note: Shooting of 3-D segments for the upcoming Fox rebroadcast of the Atlantic City-special on the 30th May.

It's only these 3 songs in 3D that they replaced in the usual Atlantic City concert (all other songs were from Atlantic City and not in 3D). I must have it somewhere on a DVDR but I remember it's quite dissappointing.

It is also included as a bonus on this bootleg DVD: [www.discogs.com]

Thank you. How to find this DVD with such a generic name and no label?

It seems weird now that these three songs shot in Tokyo 1990 for the 3-D adventure were included in an edited showing of "Terrifying" Atlantic City '89.
I'm used to these songs being on the Tokyo February 24th DVD (without the 3-D video overdubs).

Date: February 14, 2023 02:33

Date: February 14, 2023 10:41

The 2nd video you posted is the whole thing! thumbs up

Anaglyph 3D see: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 15:49 by wiredallnight.

Date: February 14, 2023 15:22

Date: February 14, 2023 15:52

wiredallnight
the 2nd video you posted is the wholw thing! thumbs up

The quality isn't very good.

I have a plan to restore the 3-D and upgrade the sound.

Here is an email conversation between my friend and me.

So, we can safely assume that we do not have the actual Japanese 3D segments on a Official Release.

We have the actual performance from the 24th but the 3-D video was never officially released (except for TV broadcast). I'm sure the Stones have it squirreled away with many other performances and songs they didn't release for what I call the "Dream Box." (OT: I'm sure "You Don't Have to Mean It" from the Wilter 2003 will be in the Dream Box. I have a list.)

I A/B'd the 24th with two of the 3-D performances. It is definitely the same performance. There was no audience even though some crowd noise was added.

Paint It Black had the full intro in the 24th video but not in the 3-D presentation. Several 3-D video parts were reshot and overdubbed into the 3-D presentation.

2000 Light Years had a lot of 3-D video reshot and dubbed into the 3-D presentation.

The 2000 Light Years 3-D may have more intro than the 24th DVD. The 24th had a lot of the ending of 2000 Light Years.

There were some very cool moves by Jagger in the February 24th Tokyo video (DVD) that were not incorporated into the 3-D which would be cool to add to the 3-D video.

The sound of the 24th DVD was far superior to the 3-D I have on the HDD.

Yes, like I said, there are scenes from a Tokyo Soundcheck in the 3D segments.

It is NOT a soundcheck. It's a video shoot made to look like a live performance. You can see in one scene there is no audience but they overdubbed the audience cheering at the end of a song.

The songs were performed and recorded. Then the director reshot some 3-D portions such as when Jagger holds a twirling tornado in the palm of his hand. The actual 3-D effect parts were reshoots. I watched both videos side-by-side.

The Fox 3-D had some different camera angles but the movements of the band were exactly the same when not overdubbed. Jagger waved his hands a lot which matches the 3-D & DVD (24th). It's the exact same performance.

I A/B'd the scenes and sound, it's the exact same sound/music. The music on the DVD is far superior to the TV show on Fox.

I remember an interview where a guy from Fox was talking about how the Fox TV special was edited and had different camera angles.

So, as you state, we do not have exact frame-by-frame footage "Officially".

We have frame-by-frame footage on the DVD from the video shoot (Live in Japa - Ward Records GQXS-90057-0). 3-D parts reshot for the 3-D effect. They did a superb job!

I love special effects; sound effects, wide stereo, 3-D, etc... I watched the Atlantic city pay-per-view. I was at the last show of the tour in AC. I watched and recorded the 3-D. I had a Stones Fox 3-D party on May 30, 1990. I went to every 7-11 and got as many glasses as I could.

Afterward, I was showing the 3-D video to my friend and his friend. They both had some sort of eye problems and could not see 3-D. Tommy handed me his glasses and said, "I can't see out of my right eye. The other guy said he had an eye stigma and couldn't see 3-D. The other guy handed me his 3-D glasses and said, "You got the wrong audience for this show." LOL!

You did a good job verbalizing and researching the segments.

I watched the 3-D and DVD side-by-side yesterday. They are the exact same performance.

These are my thoughts to restore and enhance the Fox 3-D.

Add the intro to Paint It, Black which is cut out in the 3-D (except for a few notes). We have the sound and footage (video) of Keith doing the intro of the song.

Add some Jagger moves that are missing due to 3-D effects. I'm picturing including Jagger and his moves during some 3-D parts on top of the 3-D if possible. Showing the 3-D with Mick superimposed into the 3-D. I'm not sure I could pull it off.

Keep more of the ending of 2000 Light Years that was cut from the 3-D.
Overdub the sound from the DVD which is far superior to the 3-D. It's the exact same soundtrack.

Get all of the videos and sound together and ask for help from someone who is great at doing videos (after the hurricane).

If you could send me a copy of your 3-D (DVD or video file) then we may have every piece of the 3-D. I missed some of the FOX 3-D special from clicking record after a commercial break.

Date: February 14, 2023 15:52

Interesting that the glasses appear white and black instead of red and cyan.

[www.pulltime3d.com]

Date: February 14, 2023 15:56

The Rolling Stones From The Vault Extra – Live At The Tokyo Dome

The footage of the 3 songs used for the 3-D special is included here, without the 3-D effects.

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-14 16:02 by exilestones.

Date: February 14, 2023 15:58

wiredallnight
Interesting that the glasses appear white and black instead of red and cyan.

[www.pulltime3d.com]

I don't think the Stones' 3-D glasses are red and cyan. I will check for you later when I can.

Date: February 14, 2023 19:07

exilestones

The Rolling Stones From The Vault Extra – Live At The Tokyo Dome

The footage of the 3 songs used for the 3-D special is included here, without the 3-D effects.

[iorr.org]

No, not really. The 3 3-D songs were not recorded during the show but separately in the empty Tokyo Dome (on Feb. 16 already according to N. Zentgraf). You can see in a few scenes that there is no audience. And - driving with cameras around Mick and Keith etc. during the show would have been very disturbing and annoying for the people I think...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-15 16:58 by wiredallnight.

Date: February 14, 2023 21:00

wiredallnight

No, not really. The 3 3-D songs were not recorded during the show but separately in the empty Tokyo Dome (on Feb. 16 already according to N. Zentgraf). You can see in a few scenes that there is no audience. And - driving with cameras around Mick and Keith etc. during the show would have been very disturbing and annoying for the people I think... The audio is from Atlantic City I think.

Yes, really! The footage used for the 3-D is on this DVD. I watched side-by-side with the 3-D. It's absolutely on this DVD. Did you watch the DVD and compare the DVD to the 3-D?

I didn't say the 3-D segment was recorded during a show. In fact, as I wrote above, it was a video shoot, not a live show.

I said the video shoot used for the 3-D Fox TV special is on this DVD.

I saw in a scene there was no audience. There were no camera operators in the shoot that was released on this DVD. It was a video shoot that was included on this DVD, "Live in Japan." It's on there. I don't make shit up, or jump to conclusions.

The audio is from the performance in Tokyo 1990 video shoot, not from Atlantic City.

Get the DVD with the tiger on the front and compare it to the 3-D for yourself.

Compare the music from the 3-D to Atlantic City, you will find that it isn't AC.

I have the "Live in Japan" (From the Vault Extra). I have the videos of the 3-D. I did my homework before making any statements. I didn't jump to any conclusions or give out any bad information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-15 16:04 by exilestones.

Date: February 15, 2023 03:58

wiredallnight
The 2nd video you posted is the whole thing! thumbs up

You're welcome.

Gerald Marks of Pull Time 3-D did not use anaglyph 3-D.

Unlike anaglyphic 3-D which requires the familiar red and green glasses, the method used was the Pulfrich Effect permitted full-color video.

The Pulfrich effect has been utilized to enable a type of stereoscopy, or 3-D visual effect, in visual media such as film and TV. As in other kinds of stereoscopy, glasses are used to create the illusion of a three-dimensional image. By placing a neutral filter (e.g., the darkened lens from a pair of sunglasses) over one eye, an image, as it moves right to left (or left to right, but not up and down) will appear to move in depth, either toward or away from the viewer.

Because the Pulfrich effect depends on motion in a particular direction to instigate the illusion of depth, it is not useful as a general stereoscopic technique. For example, it cannot be used to show a stationary object apparently extending into or out of the screen.

a 3D Pulfrich effect only has one image and as a result does not produce the ghosting effect for those not wearing glasses or the color distortion of technologies such as anaglyph. The Pulfrich effect can also be achieved by wearing a sunglass lens over one eye, and since sunglasses are very common, the need to distribute "special" 3D glasses is reduced.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-15 16:05 by exilestones.

Date: February 15, 2023 16:03

GQBS-90277

Date: February 15, 2023 17:49

I have this official Japanese DVD plus 2 CDs. But I don't know what you see here but to me it is not the same. For example: At the beginning of Paint It Black in the Fox 3-D video Keith wears a brown shirt, while on the official DVD he wears a white jacket...

Date: February 16, 2023 12:53

wiredallnight
I have this official Japanese DVD plus 2 CDs. But I don't know what you see here but to me it is not the same. For example: At the beginning of Paint It Black in the Fox 3-D video Keith wears a brown shirt, while on the official DVD he wears a white jacket...

What I see are video overdubs.

Excellent point about the shirt color. We are now dealing with facts.

You must be a big Keith fan as I am too but I'm a big Jagger fan. The funny thing is that you focused on Keith, while I focused on Mick.

I'll watch it all again (3-D & "Made in Japan") side-by-side more carefully. Please do the same.

I watched Mick's moves comparing the video shoot on February 24th to the Fox 3-D. Every hand movement, etc... matched the 3-D and the "Made in Japan" DVD.

I also noticed at the beginning of one of the songs, there was no audience on the "Made in Japan" DVD.

The next thing I notice was the videography (camera techniques). The 3 songs on the 24th (2000 Light Years, Paint It, Black & IORR) were very different camera techniques than the rest of the concert video. There were many very smooth boom cameras used, and many of these shots are up close, for example, the pan of the backup singers.

The 3 songs on the 24th (2000 Light Years, Paint It, Black & IORR) on the "Made in Japan" (24th) DVD were not captured during a live concert. Judging from the clothes the band wore, the 'three songs' on the "Made in Japan" DVD were performed on the 24th, but before the concert at a video shoot for the 3-D.

Compare the smooth boom camera work during the 3 songs on the 24th DVD to the rest of the concert on the "Made in Japan" DVD. The rest of the show's camera work features shakey camera work without boom rigs or tripods. Most of the camera work is from freely moving camera operators with cameras on their shoulders. Even though those cameras use 'image stabilization,' they are no match for using tripods, cameras on dolly tracks as used in the 3 songs on the "Made in the Japan" DVD.

In the actual concert video, you see cameramen on stage, In the video shoot portion, there are no camera people seen.

The camera work was obvious to me since I spent my career doing camera work.

As I said, Mick Jagger's moves in the 3-D and "Made in Japan" are identical. Mick was superimposed into the shots of the band playing in the background from the 16th. The band with Keith wearing the brown shirt was shot on the 16th as Nico reported. Mick was shot on the 16th and the 24th, mostly on the 24th on the 3-D video.

Watch the 3-D closely and see if you can tell if Mick is a little sharper than everything else in the video. See if you can see if Mick was superimposed. In this image above, Keith is from the 16th video shoot, while Mick is from the 24th video shoot.

I see lighting differences. Keith is side lit and Mick is front-lit and side lit. I know you can say Mick has a spotlight on him, and he does have that spotlight. Look for lighting issues. Look and see if you can watch the videos and see Mick isn't really there at the same time as what else is in the video.

The next adventure will be to check the music. I'd bet the 3-D soundtrack matches the "Made in Japan" 24th video.

Date: February 16, 2023 14:31

OK, as you describe it now it looks that you are right. Obviously everything is heavily reworked and overdubbed afterwards in the studio. But that is something that we know from so many official releases... grinning smiley

Date: February 19, 2023 18:45

wiredallnight
OK, as you describe it now it looks that you are right. Obviously everything is heavily reworked and overdubbed afterwards in the studio. But that is something that we know from so many official releases... grinning smiley

Thanks for the great teamwork. I didn't notice Keith in the brown shirt. If it wasn't for your help, we wouldn't have known the videos were overdubbed with video.

Apparently, there were two days of video shoots for the 3-D.

Date: February 22, 2023 21:05

It's not only rock 'n' roll, it's in 3-D
By ERIC SNIDER

As if they weren't big enough already, now you can read those lips in all their glory tonight in a Rolling Stones show on WFTS-Ch.28.Finally, a chance to see the Rolling Stones for free. If you weren't one of the estimated 3-million people who kicked in about 30 bucks each to witness the reputed "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" during last year's Steel Wheels tour, or if you didn't catch the band's act on December's pay-per-view telecast, the Fox network is serving up a Stones concert special tonight that will cost only two hours of your time. The show runs from 9-11 p.m. on WFTS-Ch. 28.

Rolling Stones: the Steel Wheels Concert is taken from the same Atlantic City show as December's pay-per-view. A Fox representative said it is a different production, however, with different camera angles. It also is shorter than the live show.

And don't forget the commercials: Breaks usually come after every two or three songs.

The Fox show was taped during the last concert of the Stones' American tour, and the band is in tip-top form. Mick Jagger's voice sounds good and snarly; he dances, wheels, cavorts and sprints around the enormous stage. Keith Richards and Ron Wood do their gnarly guitar act, bouncing riffs and chords off each other. Low-key bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts keep a bedrock rhythm foundation.

I won't delve too deeply into the repertoire. Suffice to say, it covers a broad compendium of the group's hits, past and present.

Guests Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin of Guns 'N Roses join the band for Salt of the Earth; guitar god Eric Clapton rips out sizzling blues solos on Little Red Rooster (he is anything but his usually restrained self); and veteran bluesman John Lee Hooker takes the stage for Boogie Chillun.

There is a segment in 3-D. Yes, 3-D _ glasses and all. But not the el cheapo 3-D of the drive-ins, Fox says. This is purportedly groundbreaking stuff called "Pulltime 3-D," developed by New York artist Gerald Marx. Paint It Black, 2,000 Light Years From Home and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll get the treatment.

The glasses are available for 79 cents at 7-Eleven food stores.

Fox sent a "rough cut" of the show and a pair of the cardboard glasses. It was fun, and quite well done. I don't want to give much away, but there are lots of colorful video effects. 2,000 Light Years, from the Stones' late '60s psychedelic period, is especially enhanced. It's like, you know, far out, man.

Eye fatigue, so common with the old 3-D systems, is negligible. And if you don't use the glasses, the screen looks fine. Oh, and for best results, turn out the lights.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home