Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Making a Matrix Question?
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 9, 2022 19:00

I never made a matrix. I presume two records are sandwiched together.

If my presumption is correct, would the evolution of matrix recordings be to use RipX or DES software to separate the frequencies (guitar, guitar, drums, bass & vocals) and delete some stems/tracks/tracks? Why have two vocals when one has a better sound?

Maybe an IEM recording just needs bass or bass and one guitar added, for example.

I recently took the matrix of 'Down Home Girl' live from Hyde Park 1969, separated the frequencies in RipX, and adjusted volumes and dropouts.

Here are the stems, the original recording (matrix), and my finished project. Feel free to make a better version in Audacity, etc. The drums disappear at the beginning of the song. The bass is great, The guitars are great sound too, The vocals I lowered but they are too distorted.

Is there any recording of 'Down Home Girl' from Hyde Park 1969 which has better vocals and drums? I've only heard the one source/recording with the blown-out vocals. Can you think of any without the blown-out vocals?

[we.tl]

ORIGINAL NOTES:
"Track 10 recorded July 5, 1969, Hyde Park, London, England. Obviously, not a 1972-1973 rarity, this song is actually from a separate project but I wanted to include it here as a bonus tr. This is a stereo matrix of two different low-generation audience recordings, possibly master recordings. The left channel, Radio Veronica broadcast from download; the right channel "In the Park" (Scorpio) pitch corrected/slowed down 0.1% to match. This concert is well documented on the movie "The Stones in the Park" and was also mostly broadcast on its 10th anniversary by WLIR FM, but this song was not in the movie or broadcast. Surprisingly, The two analog tape recorders stay in sync for the entire song.

First uploaded to Dime by watchit 12/24/2020."

Re: Making a Matrix Question?
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 9, 2022 22:26

Haven't downloaded your file, but to answer the question:

A Matrix is usually just the "sandwich" thing, where you just use the
complete recordings and mix them together. You can do this by doing a
complete mix or as another option put each recording in one channel, to get
more of a stereo effect. And there are endless options between these extremes.

That's the way it was for a long time. With AI (I also use RipX most of the time),
you can now indeed take extracted instruments from different recordings and put them together. I did this for my Berlin2022 Matrix , where I added a 2nd vocal
source to lower the volume of this screaming chick one the basic source.

AI opens another endless trove of options to matrix recordings, but if there is a
basic definition, it's really just synchronising different recordings and mixing them together.

And it's fun to do this with digital recordings, because they all have the same speed and you need only minor speed adjustments. It's getting painful with for example 1969 recordings as the Hyde Park69 track (I suppose).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-09 22:26 by falo01.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: October 10, 2022 00:37

Sounds a little better now. Thanks for sharing.

These are the only two recordings of "Down Home Girl" circulating. It was not broadcast in 1979 and is not in the movie. It's the only song without a professional recording available.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 10, 2022 15:15

[wetransfer.com]

Here is Radio Veronica july 15 1969..Bonus is Funky Drummers merge of I'm Yours And I'm Hers.

Date: October 10, 2022 15:21

[wetransfer.com]

Two vinyl rip bootlegs Ccontra Band & Scorpio.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 10, 2022 18:40

exilestones
I never made a matrix. I presume two records are sandwiched together.

If my presumption is correct, would the evolution of matrix recordings be to use RipX or DES software to separate the frequencies (guitar, guitar, drums, bass & vocals) and delete some stems/tracks/tracks? Why have two vocals when one has a better sound?

Maybe an IEM recording just needs bass or bass and one guitar added, for example.

I recently took the matrix of 'Down Home Girl' live from Hyde Park 1969, separated the frequencies in RipX, and adjusted volumes and dropouts.

Here are the stems, the original recording (matrix), and my finished project. Feel free to make a better version in Audacity, etc. The drums disappear at the beginning of the song. The bass is great, The guitars are great sound too, The vocals I lowered but they are too distorted.

Is there any recording of 'Down Home Girl' from Hyde Park 1969 which has better vocals and drums? I've only heard the one source/recording with the blown-out vocals. Can you think of any without the blown-out vocals?

[we.tl]

ORIGINAL NOTES:
"Track 10 recorded July 5, 1969, Hyde Park, London, England. Obviously, not a 1972-1973 rarity, this song is actually from a separate project but I wanted to include it here as a bonus tr. This is a stereo matrix of two different low-generation audience recordings, possibly master recordings. The left channel, Radio Veronica broadcast from download; the right channel "In the Park" (Scorpio) pitch corrected/slowed down 0.1% to match. This concert is well documented on the movie "The Stones in the Park" and was also mostly broadcast on its 10th anniversary by WLIR FM, but this song was not in the movie or broadcast. Surprisingly, The two analog tape recorders stay in sync for the entire song.

First uploaded to Dime by watchit 12/24/2020."

Thanks again for doing this. What a labor of love!! I am fascinated by the whole array of different Hyde Park recordings. Have been analysing them for years...'them' being:

1) Radio Veronica broadcast (which is a somewhat distant audience recording of the first half of the show up to the middle of MR) (also source of the Countraband bootleg LP)
2) WLIR broadcast (professional clear, crisp, unedited mono recording of many of the show songs-better sound than what was used in the original mono home video "Stones in The Park") What was the source of WLIR's recordings? Anybody know?
3) The Granada TV documentray soundtrack (now in fully mixed stereo, although with many truncated versions of songs) Non-USA versions included Mercy, Mercy; No Expectations, and Stray Cat Blues as bonuses, but not in stereo.
4) The Scorpio bootleg (ambient stereo audience recording of full show, albeit with a number of frustrating starts and stops. This was recorded from a point much closer to the stage than the Radio Veronica recording).

Are there any other sources than the above mentioned 4 other than distant newsreel audio tracks?

Date: October 10, 2022 22:59

[wetransfer.com]

1969-07-05 London Hyde Park (WLIR FM 1979).rar

[wetransfer.com]

19690705_Hyde Park [funkydrummer cleanup].rar

Date: October 10, 2022 23:45

I'll respond to each post later.

Here is my basic question about "Down Home Girl." Does every recording have blown-out/distorted vocals?

I thought they were all the same recording/source due to the sound of the vocals. I could listen for the girl's scream, etc...

I DL'd everything in the Stones Vault. Some of those old vinyl recordings are really bad.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 11, 2022 15:47

Thanks to vancouver for posting all these Hyde Park sources.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: October 11, 2022 22:06

THX

Date: October 11, 2022 23:28

The Ventoria is the best

Date: October 16, 2022 23:12

vancouver
[wetransfer.com]

Two vinyl rip bootlegs Ccontra Band & Scorpio.

vancouver
[wetransfer.com]

Here is Radio Veronica july 15 1969..Bonus is Funky Drummers merge of I'm Yours And I'm Hers.

Thanks for the downloads!

Posted by: ElectricBoogaloo ()
Date: October 17, 2022 16:34

falo01
Haven't downloaded your file, but to answer the question:

A Matrix is usually just the "sandwich" thing, where you just use the
complete recordings and mix them together. You can do this by doing a
complete mix or as another option put each recording in one channel, to get
more of a stereo effect. And there are endless options between these extremes.

That's the way it was for a long time. With AI (I also use RipX most of the time),
you can now indeed take extracted instruments from different recordings and put them together. I did this for my Berlin2022 Matrix , where I added a 2nd vocal
source to lower the volume of this screaming chick one the basic source.

AI opens another endless trove of options to matrix recordings, but if there is a
basic definition, it's really just synchronising different recordings and mixing them together.

And it's fun to do this with digital recordings, because they all have the same speed and you need only minor speed adjustments. It's getting painful with for example 1969 recordings as the Hyde Park69 track (I suppose).

Thank you for the explanation falo! I have been a fan of your work, and was wondering myself how exactly a matrix is made.

Date: October 18, 2022 10:19

It's more fun to listen to matrix - merge stereo versions. Nice there is more stones now. Got som Hendrix in merge stereo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home