Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: promo 7" Tumbling Dice - how much is it worth?
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 13, 2022 00:33

There is no known SAM2

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-13 00:41 by stonesstein.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 13, 2022 16:21

SAM1, 3 & 4 - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:30 by Irix.

Date: August 15, 2022 19:14

FYI, admin apparently deleted Morg's (prior) posts within this thread and (perhaps) Morg himself, because he is no longer within IORR. Old posts in other IORR threads (mostly) pumping RSTG issues can be found, but no more Morg.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 27, 2022 11:38

ProfessorWolf
can i ask you two to describe what these unique mono mixes sound like?

what's the difference between the two different mono mixes of all down the line?

I can't tell you, if this mono mix is a 3rd different mix, but maybe it's the same like the mono 7" version of Tumbling Dice. The mean different part starts at 2.46, when the "keep on rolling" chorus comes earlier. They sing it 5 times on the mono version, 3 times on the stereo version. Also the reverb of the backing choir is very slightly different. Maybe an owner of this ultra rare single can tell us more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-28 18:28 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 28, 2022 22:44

BlueTurns2Grey
ProfessorWolf

what's the difference between the two different mono mixes of all down the line?

I can't tell you, if this mono mix is a 3rd different mix, but maybe it's the same like the mono 7" version of Tumbling Dice. The mean different part starts at 2.46, when the "keep on rolling" chorus comes earlier. They sing it 5 times on the mono version, 3 times on the stereo version. Also the reverb of the backing choir is very slightly different. Maybe an owner of this ultra rare single can tell us more.

thanks for the info

Date: September 4, 2022 07:09

ProfessorWolf

ProfessorWolf, I have just now been able to play the Rocks Off (SAM3) along with a UK 1st pressing of Exile's Rocks Off to compare. In the Mono, Jagger is not only in my music room and up front in the middle, one can hear a certain "edge" to his vocal that is not present in the stereo. Also, Wyman's bass is much more "thumping". As we get into the fade out, but prior to (4:20-ish) where one typically hears (Taylor's) "smooth" guitar "lead", one hears (Keith) doing some groovy rhythm-licks that I never heard on any other Rocks Off. There is also a bit more piano up front as the fade goes thru. Definitely, to my ears (and to others I know who have heard this) not a fold down, but a dedicated mono mix. Rocks Off on Exile is my all time favorite Stones' studio track, and I have never heard anything like I hear on the SAM3 anywhere, be it outtakes, the Nicky Hopkins tapes, or anywhere.

Stay tuned for the All Down the Line (SAM3) report.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 4, 2022 11:24

stonesstein
ProfessorWolf

ProfessorWolf, I have just now been able to play the Rocks Off (SAM3) along with a UK 1st pressing of Exile's Rocks Off to compare. In the Mono, Jagger is not only in my music room and up front in the middle, one can hear a certain "edge" to his vocal that is not present in the stereo. Also, Wyman's bass is much more "thumping". As we get into the fade out, but prior to (4:20-ish) where one typically hears (Taylor's) "smooth" guitar "lead", one hears (Keith) doing some groovy rhythm-licks that I never heard on any other Rocks Off. There is also a bit more piano up front as the fade goes thru. Definitely, to my ears (and to others I know who have heard this) not a fold down, but a dedicated mono mix. Rocks Off on Exile is my all time favorite Stones' studio track, and I have never heard anything like I hear on the SAM3 anywhere, be it outtakes, the Nicky Hopkins tapes, or anywhere.

ah! i'm so jealous you get to hear that

can't wait to hear your description of all down the line

do you think the stones have these mixes preserved in there vaults?

and have you digitized them or are planning to just in case they don't?

not necessarily asking you to share them or anything like that

it's just that exile isn't just a great album by a band we like it's truly a work of art on par with the best humanity has ever produced

i guarantee you in a 1000 years when the stones and the rest of there music is forgotten to all but historians

exile will still be admired and listened to and performed by music lovers all round the world

i hope you appreciate how incredibly important what you have is

its like having a previously unknown early version of michelangelo's david in your possession

it's not just something you own but something that future generations deserve to own as part of the collective cultural heritage of the human race

i don't mean to imply that you will not take the greatest effort to preserve and care for these records and that you don't already understand there value

but as a music lover and fan i felt i had to express this

thank you so much for sharing what you have

hope i didn't come off as to sanctimonious and preachy

Date: September 4, 2022 22:13

ProfessorWolf
stonesstein
ProfessorWolf

it's just that exile isn't just a great album by a band we like it's truly a work of art on par with the best humanity has ever produced

i guarantee you in a 1000 years when the stones and the rest of there music is forgotten to all but historians

exile will still be admired and listened to and performed by music lovers all round the world

its like having a previously unknown early version of michelangelo's david in your possession

it's not just something you own but something that future generations deserve to own as part of the collective cultural heritage of the human race

i don't mean to imply that you will not take the greatest effort to preserve and care for these records and that you don't already understand there value

[/size]

ProfessorWolf, as someone who has collected this band over the world wide for over 50 years, I suggest to you that I truly do understand exactly what these SAM test-pressing 45s are in the big scope of Stones-collecting and music, which is probably why I was as passionate as I was earlier in this thread. While I am a hardcore Stones' collector, within that, I am a fervent Exile collector as my favorite of all LPs and of Rocks Off as my favorite of all songs, so this is even more to my core as a Stones' fan. It is always good to meet a kindred spirit like you and some others in this thread (Shawn!), and I look forward to reading more of what you have to say on Stones' music.

The companion 45 to this, Happy c/w Shine a Light (SAM4), appears on p. 401 of Bill Wyman's Rolling With the Stones, so I imagine the band probably has these recordings/mixes. I have no plans to digitize them, because record players will never suffer from debilitating format changes.

The All Down the Line from (SAM3) is neither the US 45 "single" version (RS-24186) or the "2010 Japanese bonus track" version. It is clear Mono mix of a version/take more akin to the LP version or the version which appears on a very rare US Promo 45 having a matrix of SR-RS-24186 with Stereo printed on both sides of the label of the WLP. Again, this ADTL is Mono with Mick much more prevalent and isolated in the mix. Otherwise, it is not too distant of a cut from the LP version, though it is only 3:50, which is 0:05 shorter than the LP version. While a unique Mono mix (I have not found another like it, and I own 10 different ADTL 45s), ADTL is not nearly as revelatory or unique as is its flip-side, Rocks Off.

Some of what appears earlier in this thread is being discussed elsewhere in the Hoffman Forum at Hoffman Forum on SAM 45s

Finally, ProfessorWolf, if you will respond with your email, I will contact your privately to discuss in more detail.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 5, 2022 01:15

stonesstein
ProfessorWolf
stonesstein
ProfessorWolf

[/size]

ProfessorWolf, as someone who has collected this band over the world wide for over 50 years, I suggest to you that I truly do understand exactly what these SAM test-pressing 45s are in the big scope of Stones-collecting and music, which is probably why I was as passionate as I was earlier in this thread. While I am a hardcore Stones' collector, within that, I am a fervent Exile collector as my favorite of all LPs and of Rocks Off as my favorite of all songs, so this is even more to my core as a Stones' fan. It is always good to meet a kindred spirit like you and some others in this thread (Shawn!), and I look forward to reading more of what you have to say on Stones' music.

The companion 45 to this, Happy c/w Shine a Light (SAM4), appears on p. 401 of Bill Wyman's Rolling With the Stones, so I imagine the band probably has these recordings/mixes. I have no plans to digitize them, because record players will never suffer from debilitating format changes.

The All Down the Line from (SAM3) is neither the US 45 "single" version (RS-24186) or the "2010 Japanese bonus track" version. It is clear Mono mix of a version/take more akin to the LP version or the version which appears on a very rare US Promo 45 having a matrix of SR-RS-24186 with Stereo printed on both sides of the label of the WLP. Again, this ADTL is Mono with Mick much more prevalent and isolated in the mix. Otherwise, it is not too distant of a cut from the LP version, though it is only 3:50, which is 0:05 shorter than the LP version. While a unique Mono mix (I have not found another like it, and I own 10 different ADTL 45s), ADTL is not nearly as revelatory or unique as is its flip-side, Rocks Off.

Some of what appears earlier in this thread is being discussed elsewhere in the Hoffman Forum at Hoffman Forum on SAM 45s

Finally, ProfessorWolf, if you will respond with your email, I will contact your privately to discuss in more detail.

thank you i'm sure you will take excellent care of these records and i forgot about that being in bill's book sure enough ran and grabbed my copy and there it is

so i agree they seem likely to have them in there vaults

as far as being kindred spirits i agree as a fan but when it comes to sheer knowledge and collection i come nowhere near you or many others here but thanks anyways

as for my email
professorwolfforever@gmail.com

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 20, 2022 20:09

If people have these rare Exile singles then why wouldn't they share the images and the recordings with the rest of us? It would not lessen the value of their prized possessions. I don't understand the logic of not sharing if our colleagues have these recordings. It certainly would be appreciated if we could hear these recordings.

I always share everything I have unless I'm not allowed to share something that was conditionally shared with me.

Speaking of JR, he was a good man. I remember talking with him by phone and then he sent me a tape. In 1997 at the Stones DC concert, JR hid me from security as I was taking photos of the Stones.

ExileStones

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: December 20, 2022 20:39

Could you share these photos?
I myself shared here what I had filmed in Paris in 1985.
It's a very good idea on these 7'.
If anyone wants to sell theirs they can contact me.(I have sam3)
Happy Holidays to you all.

Date: December 20, 2022 22:20

exilestones

If people have these rare Exile singles then why wouldn't they share the images and the recordings with the rest of us?

See here: [Forums.SteveHoffman.tv] .

Date: December 21, 2022 06:27

Irix
exilestones

If people have these rare Exile singles then why wouldn't they share the images and the recordings with the rest of us?

I read that thread. I even commented at the end. What about it?

The Atmos guy, 'Tony' doesn't have anything. I haven't seen or heard proof that anyone has any SAM.

Where did this ride around in the limousine listening to the radio come from? Wasn't that Tattoo You?

Date: December 23, 2022 09:15

Hi Stonesstein,

If you have these recordings. Please share them with us.

I'm sure JR would since he always helped and shared with me. You can share in his honor.

Thanks,
Exile Stones

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: December 23, 2022 10:40

exilestones
Irix
exilestones

I read that thread. I even commented at the end. What about it?

.... I haven't seen or heard proof that anyone has any SAM.....

Just a "proof" that they really exist SAM3 and SAM4 in my collection:

I will post some better images later today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-23 10:41 by arc-angel.

Date: December 23, 2022 13:10

exilestones

I haven't seen or heard proof that anyone has any SAM.

SAM1, 3 & 4 - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] . SAM3 & 4 - [www.45cat.com] , [www.45cat.com] , [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Popsike.com] , [www.Popsike.com] .

Date: December 25, 2022 23:26

This thread makes me sad if everything said is true. Why wouldn't someone share this recording everyone would love to hear?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home