Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
promo 7" Tumbling Dice - how much is it worth?
Posted by: TaurocTony ()
Date: August 11, 2022 00:55

Hello Matt, the 1972 UK one-sided yellow-labeled promo 7" Tumbling Dice, how much is it worth?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 08:40 by bv.

Re: Ask Matt Lee, how much is it worth?
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 11, 2022 01:10

I have one. Maybe 20 dollars. Let’s see what Matt says

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 11, 2022 02:51

TaurocTony
Hello Matt, the 1972 UK one-sided yellow-labeled promo 7" Tumbling Dice, how much is it worth?

Discogs should give you an indication of prices.

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 11, 2022 03:05

I would have defaulted to The Fountain of vinyl knowledge JR on this one… outside of what I would call the memorabilia vinyl pieces, Street Fighting Man, Beast of Burden, Promotional Album etc… Discogs is your best bet. Hit me up for posters, tour memorabilia etc…. That’s where info is much harder to obtain and therefore what I spend my time studying

Date: August 11, 2022 03:25

Paddy
TaurocTony

Discogs should give you an indication of prices.

[www.discogs.com]

Not there, there's a reason why.

Date: August 11, 2022 03:29

mattleeuk
I would have defaulted to The Fountain of vinyl knowledge JR on this one…

Thanks, late JR had one, I know. So, you don't have one yourself?

Who would be the The Fountain of vinyl knowledge today post-JR (UK records)?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 03:38 by TaurocTony.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 11, 2022 04:34

How much is a KR pick worth if it was or wasn't actually used by Keith

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 11, 2022 06:38

Nikkei

Been offered $500.00 for a stage used Keith Richard's '94 Auckland pick

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

promo 7" Tumbling Dice - how much is it worth?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 11, 2022 11:55

Tumbling Dice 7"-Promo - see the discussion here: [Forums.SteveHoffman.tv] .

[Forums.SteveHoffman.tv]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:30 by Irix.

Re: promo 7" Tumbling Dice - how much is it worth?
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 11, 2022 12:17

i have a promotional copy of 25x5 on vhs

that worth anythinggrinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2022 12:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:30 by Irix.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: August 11, 2022 16:14

It is the Dolby Atmos Mix. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 11, 2022 16:58

Irix
Tumbling Dice: 1972, UK, 1-Track, yellow-label, Promo, 7"-Vinyl

Also nothing to find about it on 45cat.com or Musik-Sammler.de or CDandLP.com .

This topic and the record mentioned and the other records mentioned below are near and dear to my heart and collection, not only because of what they are, but also because one of my closest friends is mentioned herein, and for over 20 years, he and I talked about these records and managed to acquire some related records. THANK YOU Tauroc Tony for bringing this up!

JR was one of my closest friends. We talked (sometimes) several times a week and swapped records and intel on our collections for 30 years. Our US collections were virtually identical, though his UK was broader than mine (I had kids to raise!).
So, while I ask that y'all please understand that while I am NOT saying that I am the "post-JR" fountain of knowledge, there's a good chance that I might be able to help on a lot of questions.

What is clear, though, is that I can help on this one based on personal experience. To be clear, JR never had one of these, because he and I searched for decades to confirm the existence of this record mentioned ONLY in a late-90s VOX Record Price Guide. (If whoever says they actually have this incredibly elusive one-sided Tumbling Dice yellow label (SAM 1 on a typed-sticker label on a blank UK RSR yellow label) would post a picture, that would be amazing!!!!)

In May of 1972, insiders have recalled that when the Stones came back to the UK for the final mixing of Exile, they had a few tracked mixed in Mono (not fold-downs) and put onto advanced-promo 45s so they could be sent to a couple radio stations in London to be played while the Stones rode around in limos to hear them on the cars' radios. (After we each got copies, JR and I both verified by listening that these were distinctly different Mono mixes.) There were 3 different 45s, and the first cataloguing of them, as I recall, was the aforementioned VOX Guide. No pictures accompanied the listings.

JR and I actually located copies of 2 of the 3 and actually managed to each acquire separate copies for our own collections. We opined that there had to be (probably) no more than 3 and (certainly) fewer than 5 of each record made, because how many radio stations did the Stones actually want to tune into?

The records are:

1. Tumbling Dice - 1-sided dedicated Mono SAM1 on label
2. Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line SAM 3 - both sides dedicated Mono mixes not found elsewhere
3. Happy c/w Shine A Light - SAM 4 - both sides dedicated Mono mixes

Pictures of these are findable in Discogs and probably Popsike since there are at least one copy of each of SAM 3 and SAM 4 that have transferred on eBay within the past 10-15 years. Some years before JR went to a better life, he sold off many of his real heavy pieces. Despite my having copies, he offered them to me, but the price for each was way out of my league.

To again be clear, JR and I came to the conclusion that these were 2 (or 3!) of the rarest Stones' legitimate/official records that exist. These are not like Street Fighter PS (15 or so known to exist) or London-US "stock" Stoned (6 or 7 known) or "Alt" Big Hits Cover (10 or less known), because not only are there fewer known to exist, they have unique mixes of songs we all know. While they'll never reach the heights of the Street Fighter PS, they are rarer and will probably be the hardest ones for me to ever sell once it comes time to move my collection.

Important to this thread and post for me is that I (as did JR) have searched for over 20 years for this elusive 1-sided Tumbling Dice. I've got pretty much all of the mega-heavy Stones' US & UK pieces, so this is, in effect, my Stones' Holy Grail. While I am certain that whoever has this would hardly be willing to sell it to me, I'd appreciate it if the person claiming to have it could post pictures of both sides of it, because JR and I never found any proof besides the VOX Catalog entry that this one ever existed.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 11, 2022 17:46

Extremely rare SAM1 - [iorr.org] .

SAM3 & SAM4 can be found on [www.45cat.com] , [www.45cat.com] . As mentioned above it's also on [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Discogs.com] and [www.Popsike.com] , [www.Popsike.com] - (£462, £420).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:40 by Irix.

Date: August 11, 2022 18:47

Irix
stonesstein

The records are:

Maybe this is the one that's being looked for. Probably extremely rarer than rare - [iorr.org] - hence no pictures of it (yet).

SAM3 & SAM4 can be found on [www.45cat.com] , [www.45cat.com] .

Irix, thanks for the links to pix of the 2 I describe. the pictured ones are mine, and I am "2" of the 3 who own. (I am less than proficient in 45Cat, but I need to clean this up. I do not know Darren Foote.) The IORR link is of course mine.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 11, 2022 18:56

stonesstein
experience. To be clear, JR never had one of these, because he and I searched for decades to confirm the existence of this record mentioned ONLY in a late-90s VOX Record Price Guide. ...(...incredibly elusive one-sided Tumbling Dice yellow label (SAM 1 on a typed-sticker label on a blank UK RSR yellow label)...

There is no "SAM 1" note at all. Pictured on page 156 in The Great Illustrated British Rolling Stones Discography 1963-2013 (Julian Hardiman & Christoph Maus).

stonesstein
2. Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line SAM 3 - both sides dedicated Mono mixes not found elsewhere

I have all 3 (no "SAM 1" note), I even have spare copies of all 3.

Date: August 11, 2022 21:41

TaurocTony
stonesstein
experience. To be clear, JR never had one of these, because he and I searched for decades to confirm the existence of this record mentioned ONLY in a late-90s VOX Record Price Guide. ...(...incredibly elusive one-sided Tumbling Dice yellow label (SAM 1 on a typed-sticker label on a blank UK RSR yellow label)...

There is no "SAM 1" note at all. Pictured on page 156 in The Great Illustrated British Rolling Stones Discography 1963-2013 (Julian Hardiman & Christoph Maus).

stonesstein

I have all 3 (no "SAM 1" note), I even have spare copies of all 3.

Tauroc Tony, can you share pictures of the ones you have (both sixes)?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 11, 2022 22:00

stonesstein

Nah, too many who doesn't know how to appreciate it. Besides, I don't need the applause.

Date: August 12, 2022 00:19

TaurocTony
stonesstein

Nah, too many who doesn't know how to appreciate it. Besides, I don't need the applause.

Look, I have been looking to actually see the Dice Promo for over 20 years. Just post it long enough for me to see it, tell you I saw it, then take it down, OK?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 12, 2022 00:48

can i ask you two to describe what these unique mono mixes sound like?

what's the difference between the two different mono mixes of all down the line?

Date: August 12, 2022 00:59

stonesstein
...Just post it long enough for me to see it, tell you I saw it, then take it down, OK?

Are you serious?

I really suggest you buy the book, it's strongly recommended, the promo Dice is pictured on page 156.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 12, 2022 03:20

colonial
Nikkei

Been offered $500.00 for a stage used Keith Richard's '94 Auckland pick

wouldn't matter as we keep it right

Date: August 12, 2022 04:02

TaurocTony
stonesstein
...Just post it long enough for me to see it, tell you I saw it, then take it down, OK?

Are you serious?

I really suggest you buy the book, it's strongly recommended, the promo Dice is pictured on page 156.

Alternatively, you could nicely ask someone to take a picture of page 156 and make an upload.

Date: August 12, 2022 04:57

TaurocTony
stonesstein

Are you serious?

I bought the book in 2014 when it came out. I have seen p. 156 for years and the TD thereon, and that's not the SAM 1 Dice noted in VOX Record Hunter.

As for whether I am serious, you started this thread and claim to own 3 of the rarest Rolling Stones' records ever in existence, one of which the most trusted and passionate among all collectors (see Matt Lee's reference to him) never saw and whose existence he and I doubted. When I ask you nicely to post pictures of records you claim to own, you respond "Nah, too many who doesn't know how to appreciate it. Besides, I don't need the applause."

What kind of bull$hit response is that from you? We cannot appreciate your records?

To put it better, and to quote your own words - Are you serious?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 12, 2022 05:08

stonesstein
I bought the book in 2014 when it came out. I have seen p. 156 for years and the TD thereon, and that's not the SAM 1 Dice noted in VOX Record Hunter.

As for whether I am serious, you started this thread and claim to own 3 of the rarest Rolling Stones' records ever in existence, one of which the most trusted and passionate among all collectors (see Matt Lee's reference to him) never saw and whose existence he and I doubted. When I ask you nicely to post pictures of records you claim to own, you respond "Nah, too many who doesn't know how to appreciate it. Besides, I don't need the applause."

What kind of bull$hit response is that from you? We cannot appreciate your records?

Now I'm really glad I didn't post anything.

Date: August 12, 2022 06:40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:45 by Irix.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: August 12, 2022 09:29

Don't you realize who this guy is [iorr.org] and that it is absolutely redundant to discuss with him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-12 09:30 by wiredallnight.

Date: August 12, 2022 10:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-18 12:35 by Irix.

Date: August 12, 2022 19:53

TaurocTony
stonesstein

Now I'm really glad I didn't post anything.

Where I come from, we have a saying, Tauroc Tony - "If you can't hang, don't unzip." Were I you, I'd keep your little mouth shut and your little hands away from your little zipper.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: August 12, 2022 23:19

Anybody seen SAM 2 ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home