Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What's Your Experience with WeTransfer Been Like?
Posted by: Rot10Crotch ()
Date: July 31, 2022 05:14

I know a lot of you prefer We transfer over file factory. My experience with We Transfer has been that they are really flakey with approximately 1/3 of downloads crapping out, often requiring multiple restarts.

So I have an account with We Transfer and sign in to d/l stuff. I use it in combination with Free Download Manager. When I start a We Transfer d/l it will start off going upto ~60MB/s then it will settle in to something betweeen 5 MB/s and 25 MB/s, then it will just about stall out dropping to 15 B/s - always 15B/s -never say 10 B/s or 25 B/s. It does this for at least 30 seconds and it will then either a) resume down loading back at say at 20MB/s where it will always drop back down to 15 B/s or b) End the download with an invalid link error.(It may do this at any point in time when the dowload is in its 15 B/s cycle. If i d/l just with my browser I get the same flakey experience just from We Transfer. I never experience this problem with other servers such as filefactory.

Is this your experience - is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of failed d/l's

Edit: I have no problems with FileFactory (paid account) always consistent 30 to 60 MB/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 22:18 by Rot10Crotch.

Re: What's Your Experience with WeTransfer Been Like?
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:01

No Wetransfer issues here, and I'm at the bottom of the world

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 31, 2022 09:05

i'm someways down from the top

and have no issues downloading or uploading

but always have trouble downloading from filefactory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 09:05 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: July 31, 2022 09:13

I've never had problems with We Transfer. Very quick downloads.
I don't like Filefactory very much, it's to slow for me.

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: July 31, 2022 10:17

Never had problem with WT but cannot use FF (french restriction rule)

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 31, 2022 11:48

Trying to download with Firefox, for me, is waste of time. It always fails.

I can get downloads with Edge but even that sometimes fails and gives a message "Can't download - authorisation needed" - then I try again and it goes through?

I do get fluctuations in download speed sometimes but that's usually down to my router needing a data port reset. I phone my ISP to get that done.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 31, 2022 12:09

WT is OK for any folders.Multi format of music,pictures,mp4....
Excelent for me.
10/10
And a free version exist !

Posted by: hj3009 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 14:21

Living nearly at the end of the earth (Finis Terrae), I haven't any issues with WT.
When I want to download with FileFactory, I have to use VPN and it works.
Cheers from Britanny,
Hervé

Date: July 31, 2022 14:27

hj3009
Living nearly at the end of the earth (Finis Terrae), I haven't any issues with WT.
When I want to download with FileFactory, I have to use VPN and it works.
Cheers from Britanny,
Hervé

grinning smiley ... I though you were going to say........ Tierra del Fuego

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 31, 2022 16:23

It's most likely your modem or router.

Lowest cost solution would be to run an ethernet cable from your modem directly to your laptop. If your speed is good, it may not overwhelm your modem/router.

Downloading at 60MB/s then dropping suggests to me that your modem or router or both gets overwhelmed with that big a file coming in so fast. Your modem or router has a cache that stores a little bit of the file while your computer processes and stores the file. Once that cache gets full, it clogs the system. When you do that reboot, the cache clears out.

I'd try this. Log into your modem or router, using your computer. See if they need a software/firmware update. Your computer should automatically detect an update and and install it.

If you just have a modem that's supplied by your provider? Call them and ask them to update it from their side. You may qualify for a new modem. Ask.

Most modems have a terrible wifi card built in. I'd suggest a separate router.
Check your speed and buy accordingly. Amazon or Best Buy (I'm assuming you live in the US or Canada.) If you have under 100MB/S then a basic router will do, If you have "warp-speed" internet and a gaming console and multiple devices on your network, I'd suggest a gaming router. D-Link has good ones under $300.00 CAD. It also will provide better wifi throughout the house.

This is a little cumbersome but WT has a mobile app for Android. I can't speak for the I-Chump operating system. (I have a burning hatred for all things iOS but that's for another post...winking smiley )

If you have an android phone use the WT app (connected to your wifi) and download the the files. Plug your phone into your computer and transfer the files. Unzip and enjoy.

I hope all of this helps you solve your issues. Good luck!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 31, 2022 17:13

I like downloading with wetransfer. No trouble at all.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 31, 2022 17:18

No problem with Wetransfer except for the real reason I have cloud storage. They charge by 100GB chunks and backing up a few TB to the cloud is expensive and the real reason I switched to hightail is that I they stopped allowing distribution list of more than 20 names to "prevent spammers". I use hightail and storage is unlimited for $15/month and I can send to my entire distribution list.

Any issues with WeTransfer are at the local level. FileFacrory and Mega throttle speeds as a way to get more paying accounts. WeTransfer does that by limiting links to a fixed life (14 days I think).

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 31, 2022 17:23

Recently I got this message too: "Can't download - authorisation needed".

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 31, 2022 17:41

I have no issues with WT. Then again, I'm a self taught quasi expert on all things network.
Name a wi-fi problem? I've dealt with it.

I've been thinking about your issue some more.

There may be some issues with your line, coming into your house.

Call your provider and ask them to check for noise in your line. A clean signal is important, especially if you have faster speeds, 500MB or more.

The wifi card or ethernet port on your computer may be old technology. Make sure the driver is up to date on your wifi adapter. If your ethernet port is a 10/100 one, it may not handle a lot of information coming in that quickly, You can buy a 100/1000 ethernet adapter that will plug into your computer through a USB port.

Your computer may not have enough "horsepower" to process a big file coming in.
Cheapest solution is to install more RAM. In simple terms, having more RAM gives your computer more room to breathe and help with your slowdowns.

I'm still leaning towards a modem/router problem. I'd start there.

Posted by: ToddS ()
Date: July 31, 2022 19:20

Since i have Windows Vista , Google does not support Wetransfer or Mega anymore . I also have Firefox + Opera , but again i can't download any Wetransfer or Mega files . I'm able to upload audio files if its Gofiles,Mediafire and Google Drive on Opera. It's frustrating .

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 19:36

ToddS
Since i have Windows Vista , Google does not support Wetransfer or Mega anymore . I also have Firefox + Opera , but again i can't download any Wetransfer or Mega files . I'm able to upload audio files if its Gofiles,Mediafire and Google Drive on Opera. It's frustrating .

Did you consider migrating to Linux?

Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition
[linuxmint.com]

Posted by: Argentino ()
Date: July 31, 2022 21:06

JMARCOU
WT is OK for any folders.Multi format of music,pictures,mp4....
Excelent for me.
10/10
And a free version exist !

Same here. Great to upload and awesome to downlaod! To me, WT it's the most reliable one.

Date: July 31, 2022 22:10

ToddS

I can't get any WT with Firefox either but Edge is more or less reliable - occasionally I get a message saying "Can't download - authorisation needed" but I try again and it's ok..........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home