Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request: technical vocabulary signification
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: June 22, 2021 12:23

Hello,
I would like to have some details on the technical vocabulary
When I tinker with some files I'm not sure I'm using the right technical term to explain what I did (besides my English is not that great) ... this would also allow me to know / understand what others were able to do when they talk about their improvement trials.

What should we say:
1- When we balance the 2 channels because one is stronger than the other
2- When we readjust the speed of the 2 channels (when one goes a little faster than the other)
3- When you use 2 sources to complete a song
4- When mixing 2 different sources to obtain a false stereo effect or a wider sound

Thanks to whoever can help me!
Norbert

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Re: Request: technical vocabulary signification
Posted by: Andrea82 ()
Date: June 22, 2021 13:52

3 is a merge
4 is a matrix

Date: June 22, 2021 14:31

Andrea82
3 is a merge
4 is a matrix
thanks Andrea, I was thinking it was the opposite!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 22, 2021 18:31

StonyRoad
Hello,
I would like to have some details on the technical vocabulary
When I tinker with some files I'm not sure I'm using the right technical term to explain what I did (besides my English is not that great) ... this would also allow me to know / understand what others were able to do when they talk about their improvement trials.

What should we say:
1- When we balance the 2 channels because one is stronger than the other
2- When we readjust the speed of the 2 channels (when one goes a little faster than the other)
3- When you use 2 sources to complete a song
4- When mixing 2 different sources to obtain a false stereo effect or a wider sound

Thanks to whoever can help me!
Norbert

You explained it very well without the technical terms.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 23, 2021 09:44

What makes you think you have the right to 'tinker' with Stones tracks? It's the job of the band and their producer to present their product as they wish. If the track now sounds dated because of the limitations of recording techniques at that time then surely that is part of the essence of the recording.

Would you restyle the Mona Lisa or a Rodin statue? Would you appreciate it if I came to your place of work and changed what you has taken weeks or months to produce because I thought I could do a better job?

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: June 23, 2021 10:18

I cannot imagine case number 2 - that would be unlistenable! (unless you have the channels separately available)

Date: June 23, 2021 11:38

wiredallnight
I cannot imagine case number 2 - that would be unlistenable! (unless you have the channels separately available)
Precisely this is a situation that I encountered recently! In this case the sound is shifted to the side where the channel is leading.
For example in the case below, the sound seems to come from the right, while if we remove the offset the sound will be in the middle of the "auditory field"

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: June 23, 2021 11:57

StonyRoad
wiredallnight
Precisely this is a situation that I encountered recently! In this case the sound is shifted to the side where the channel is leading.
For example in the case below, the sound seems to come from the right, while if we remove the offset the sound will be in the middle of the "auditory field"

In the 70ies and early 80ies this was a common technic to produce 'electronicly reprozessed stereo' effects on mono tracks. Some companies called it 'Electronically Re-channeled for Stereo'. They shifted one channel and gave it more bass or treble. A (bad) example for this is the "The Rolling Stones No. 2" issue from January 2021 by 'TP4 Music'. It is full of dropouts. Lots of others, mostly early tracks, are sounding quite well, like Route 66, Down The Road Apiece, Tell Me etc. from various compilations. Better explained here: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 12:02 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: June 23, 2021 20:30

Elmo
What makes you think you have the right to 'tinker' with Stones tracks? It's the job of the band and their producer to present their product as they wish. If the track now sounds dated because of the limitations of recording techniques at that time then surely that is part of the essence of the recording.

Would you restyle the Mona Lisa or a Rodin statue? Would you appreciate it if I came to your place of work and changed what you has taken weeks or months to produce because I thought I could do a better job?

Elmo, this attitude is surprising (in a negative way) to see in a forum where fan mixes are all the rage. I'm assuming you haven't seen Norbert's projects, as they often are of unreleased outtakes and concerts. Besides, I personally think everyone has the right to 'tinker' with whatever audio they damn well please. I'm assuming you only own originals of Stones albums, then? Because clearly Bob Clearmountain should keep his grubby hands off anything he didn't initially work on.

We wouldn't have most of the greater producers unless they decided to 'tinker' with pre-existing recordings. And you're right-- if something sounds dated, it probably is due to the technology & methods of recording at the time. So let's see how we can breathe new life into it while keeping the original available in case others prefer to listen to that instead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 20:31 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: June 23, 2021 22:20

Elmo

Probably the same "right" one has when they adjust the volume or bass or treble on a particular track? While I would not restyle a Mona Lisa or Rodin statue? I reserve the right to frame a painting as I see fit or light the statue. Wow, is it hard, being you?

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 25, 2021 09:59

So it's a free-for- all then? We can all mess with any band's work until it becomes unrecognisable from the original. Why bother creating anything original yourself when you can tinker with another guy's work.

People here complain about the lack of new product from the Stones but why should they bother when they can leak old and unreleased stuff through the back door and others can fool around with it and generally keep the fan base happy.

I tell you this - come near my work and tell me you are going to 'improve' on it and you will get very short shrift.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home