Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Claims for better versions of BBC and classic outtakes on guitars101 Stereo masters added
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 19, 2021 18:10

Just saw these two new threads by some Sound Blokes on guitars101,
they claim to have upgrades on the BBC stuff and some classic outtakes.

[www.guitars101.com]

[www.guitars101.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-24 18:50 by Rank Stranger.

Re: Claims for better versions of BBC and classic outtakes on guitars101
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: March 19, 2021 18:46

Yes I listen them with headphones and find them excellent especially the 'Auction Masters': nothing news here but in excellent quality

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 19, 2021 19:36

And still, the "Sound Blokes" did not care to repair the sharp intro cut of Saturday Club "Beautiful Delilah" on the BBC stuff, which can quite easily be done. A VGP release even has the DJ intro and the guitar intro.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: March 19, 2021 20:49

Thank you for these links.

Re: Claims for better versions of BBC and classic outtakes on guitars101 Stereo masters added
Date: March 22, 2021 21:43

Added today:

The Rolling Stones - Stereo Masters (Definitive!) [STU/FLAC]

SB-003 (March 2021)

[www.guitars101.com]

direct link:

[wetransfer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-22 21:45 by Rank Stranger.

Re: Claims for better versions of BBC and classic outtakes on guitars101 Stereo masters added
Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: March 22, 2021 21:46

Rank Stranger
Added today:

The Rolling Stones - Stereo Masters (Definitive!) [STU/FLAC]

SB-003 (March 2021)

[www.guitars101.com]

direct link:

[wetransfer.com]

Danke smileys with beer

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: March 22, 2021 22:25

Thanks Hans-Jo!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 22, 2021 22:29

Danke Hans-Jo!

Posted by: ToddS ()
Date: March 23, 2021 08:10

To: Rank Stranger , Thank You for sharing these Stereo Masters . Another couple of cassettes to add + compare . Thanks again .

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: March 23, 2021 09:01

Thanks a lot!
CrazyMama

Posted by: joguema ()
Date: March 23, 2021 10:08

Thank you!

Vielen Dank!

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: March 23, 2021 11:21

smileys with beer

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: March 23, 2021 14:19

Thanks!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 23, 2021 16:05

THANK YOU

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 24, 2021 01:43

both of these sets are pretty fantastic!

thanks again!

jb

Date: March 24, 2021 18:49

Re.: Stereo Masters

Up to now every stereo version of "What a Shame" I have Charlie is on the right channel; here he is on the left!?!

Anybody else spotted more reversed channels?

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: March 24, 2021 23:09

Thanks for the link!

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: March 25, 2021 00:28

Rank Stranger
Re.: Stereo Masters

Up to now every stereo version of "What a Shame" I have Charlie is on the right channel; here he is on the left!?!

Anybody else spotted more reversed channels?

This is what JohnnyDrugBeard told me:

"The channels on all of the Chess tracks have the drums on left and guitars on the right for consistancy's sake. Some tracks have been released opposite. Some tracks have been released both ways. But they are all from the same sessions and were recorded and mixed exactly the same way. So somewhere along the line, mastering engineers made decisions on how to present various tracks. I prefer drums on the left and drums on the right, and so it shall be for all the Chess recordings."

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 08:58

edwinholland

This is what JohnnyDrugBeard told me:

"The channels on all of the Chess tracks have the drums on left and guitars on the right for consistancy's sake. Some tracks have been released opposite. Some tracks have been released both ways. But they are all from the same sessions and were recorded and mixed exactly the same way. So somewhere along the line, mastering engineers made decisions on how to present various tracks. I prefer drums on the left and drums on the right, and so it shall be for all the Chess recordings."

So this should probably be named something like 'Stereo masters - remixes by DrugBeard' Did he at least have access to original tapes to make these remixes? Somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: March 26, 2021 22:36

Here is an explaination on the Chess tapes for IORR. The original Chess masters are live to stereo tape and were all done at the same time. They were never overdubbed or mixed to mono, and mono could only be achieved by folding that stereo master. The results are the beautiful stereo sound these recordings have compared to the multi-tracked and overdubbed RCA recordings. So it is likely that the original masters all have the same stereo image. Most of the songs as presented to me had the drums on the left. And I prefer drums on the left. So any tracks with the drums on the right were probably channel swapped at some point by a mastering engineer and this needed to be fixed. Swapping channels is not remixing. It is a mastering decision. This set, like any compilation, needed to be mastered. Simple as that. If the Chess songs all had varying stereo images throughout, people would have complained about that too, and rightfully so IMO. None of the RCA or Olympic tracks were channel swapped because it wouldn't be possible to determine what the correct orientation should probably be unless you had the original tape, unlike with Chess. Even someone just doing a transfer of a rare tape could have a cable mixed up somewhere that would mix-up the channels. It's usually a grey area unless you have a reference point and in the case of Chess we actually do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home