Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: New Barbarians LA '79 Mike Millard master from Dime
Posted by: britstones ()
Date: March 14, 2021 04:56

New Barbarians * 1979-05-19 * The Forum * Inglewood, CA + Final Four Songs From San Diego 1979-05-22 * The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 76 * Mike Millard First Generation Tapes via JEMS
All Thanks to the uploader and Mike Millard!

[we.tl]

Link expires in 7 days

Re: POST: New Barbarians LA '79 Mike Millard master from Dime
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 14, 2021 05:19

smileys with beer

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 14, 2021 09:57

thank you

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:07

And this is my remaster

[www.filefactory.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 14, 2021 11:01

"Given their deep affection for the Stones, it was no surprise Mike and Jim were there and up close. Jim took some great photos which you'll see in the cover art and Mike was recording from his sweet spot. While most of the recording is quite excellent, it does seem Mike was having technical issues on the night.

There's a tape alignment or microphone positioning issue during the first song, "Sweet Little Rock and Roller," that takes a few minutes to rectify. You'll hear the point where everything straightens out and the sound grows from good to quite excellent for the bulk of the show through "Come To Realize." But at that point, something happens to Mike's tape, as on this first generation copy Mike made for Ed F, he switches to his own San Diego recording for the last four songs to complete the show.

Mike's tape list has entries for both New Barbarians shows in Inglewood and San Diego, but doesn't give a duration or any sense if they are complete. He rates each excellent, though clearly The Forum recording is closer and superior to San Diego.

It seems safe to assume Millard had issues at the end of the Forum show (perhaps foreshadowed by the problems in the first song) and he filled out the set with San Diego. We presume there is a full San Diego recording, but we don't have it. We also know Mike recorded opening act Bob Welch both nights which we are also hoping to find.

But don't be put off by any of that: the bulk of the Forum show is captured in great Millard quality, and San Diego, while inferior, is still very good. Considering the other recordings of The Forum are considerably weaker quality, his first-gen hybrid edition is still a major find"

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 14, 2021 14:40

Maybe the even better parts of this all are the stories & history surrounding these recordings. What a treasure trove.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 14, 2021 17:43

CaptainAcid
And this is my remaster

[www.filefactory.com]

Hi Captain,
Are the last four tunes from San Diego as per the current dime d/l ?

It's funny how opinions diifer as you say the recording is not that good whilst JEMS says it is excellent.
I haven't listened to it yet but thanks for what you do.

Date: March 14, 2021 17:53

Brown Moses
CaptainAcid
And this is my remaster

[www.filefactory.com]

Hi Captain,
Are the last four tunes from San Diego as per the current dime d/l ?

To tell you the truth, no one has told me so. This is what JEMS had to say when they sent me the tape for remaster, almost a year ago. I am bit confused as this is posted as something new:

"JEMS is pleased to once again collaborate with Captain Acid on another vintage recording, this time what we believe to be a previously uncirculated recording of the Rolling Stones’ side project, the New Barbarians.

The short-lived line-up mounted one U.S. tour in 1979 performing a lot of material from Ron Wood’s solo album Gimme Some Neck, Keith Richards solo tunes and a few Stones classics. JEMS’ pal RG made a point of renting the best gear he could at the time to tape the show and while his recording would rate somewhere below excellent, it is substantially better than the circulating recording of the show that has been in circulation for ages. Samples provided.

This is the first time RG’s master tapes have been properly digitized. Captain Acid did his usual fine tuning and we hope the result is a special treat for Stones fans, especially given the current circumstances of the world that make live concerts something we’re not going to experience for awhile.

BK for JEMS"

Date: March 14, 2021 18:16

I'm only going on what they have put on dime.
They say the first tune is flawed but picks up to excellent sound and then there was a problem with the last four numbers which is why they were substituted by San Diego tunes.
Apparantly the rest of that show is not available.
Not sure as to why they asked you to remaster then have not used your remaster ?

Was also assuming that MMs recordings of the 75 LA run can't now exist otherwise they would have been upped by now ?

Date: March 14, 2021 18:23

RG's and Mike Millard's are two completely different recordings.
RG's is nice but of course the tape Millard made that night is far better... well until the last 4 numbers apparently.

Imo the gig is not that good (they were far too drunk to perform normally) but that's part of the NB charm.

Date: March 14, 2021 18:29

dcba
RG's and Mike Millard's are two completely different recordings.
RG's is nice but of course the tape Millard made that night is far better... well until the last 4 numbers apparently.

Imo the gig is not that good (they were far too drunk to perform normally) but that's part of the NB charm.

Oh yeah, that`s it.Thanks for clearing things up dcba.....i wasn`t paying the attention to who recorded the show.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 14, 2021 18:31

They’d spent the whole day up in the canyon drinking and smoking while recording Truly. You can hear in the 10 minute version how wasted they were...

Date: March 14, 2021 18:36

Oh so CA was sent a different recording ?

I get it now.

Posted by: okenny ()
Date: March 15, 2021 02:10

Thank you, this is a terrifying recording quality. Isn't it the best result with a Millard-tape?
The performance certainly feels a little lackluster.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2021 07:54

okenny
Thank you, this is a terrifying recording quality. Isn't it the best result with a Millard-tape?

The "performance" is just one of the things while being drunk in 1979. Terrible band.

Date: March 15, 2021 12:08

Erik_Snow
The "performance" is just one of the things while being drunk in 1979. Terrible band.

I wouldn't go that far but it's obvious the band and the tour were for Keef an excuse for partying (and celebrating his Toronto acquittal?). The extra bonus is iirc Ron paid for all the expenses. >grinning smiley<
Therefore it was four-star hotels and private planes all the way even though arena gigs couldn't cover the costs.

Karma struck back in 1988 when Keef did the same with the Winos tour except this time he had to pay the bills... and he lost quite a lot of dough.

Posted by: okenny ()
Date: March 15, 2021 14:48

Erik_Snow
okenny

I think the performance at Largo was a little more vigorous and cohesive, but maybe that was the first sound source I touched on New Barbarians.Even so, with such high sound quality, it has a different power than the line sound source. I sympathized with the audience's cry "Keith! We love you Keith!".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-15 14:54 by okenny.

Posted by: atsu69 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:10

britstones
New Barbarians * 1979-05-19 * The Forum * Inglewood, CA + Final Four Songs From San Diego 1979-05-22 * The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 76 * Mike Millard First Generation Tapes via JEMS
All Thanks to the uploader and Mike Millard!

I found that the last song "JJF" is not from San Diego, but from The Forum, Inglewood, May 19, again!!

("Am I Grooving You", "Seven Days" and "Before They Make Me Run" are actually from San Diego)

atsu-y
[wwr6.ucom.ne.jp]

Date: March 28, 2021 10:33

atsu69
I found that the last song "JJF" is not from San Diego, but from The Forum, Inglewood, May 19, again!!

You're right! thumbs up

Posted by: atsu69 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:43

dcba
atsu69

You're right! thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: JEMS ()
Date: March 29, 2021 19:48

That's a great catch. Mike's cassette labels JFF specifically as one of the San Diego songs so we just presumed that was the case and didn't compare it to the other source for LA.

We do have a full San Diego recording we believe was made by Mike's friend who attended with him but recorded on a separate rig. We'll get to that at some point.

BK

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: March 29, 2021 20:10

Someone may re-post ? Thanks

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: March 29, 2021 23:54

INDIANO
Someone may re-post ? Thanks
[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-29 23:55 by britstones.

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: March 30, 2021 07:49

Thank You !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home