Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New Outtakes Collection From Japan
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 3, 2021 22:23

dcba
"23- Hands Off
Get Your Hands Off - version III, more finished version (source unsure)
19930709-1211 Windmill Lane Recording & RW's House, Dublin"

You're right!
It's rather funny they made 3 attempts at this so-so track during the VL sessions.

There you have it - you say it's "so-so", I say it's a nugget, considerably better than some tracks that ended up on the final album (or lame b-sides like I'm Gonna Drive)...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 3, 2021 22:29

RE "Deep Love" I vs II and the bunch of 1997 tracks sung by Keith :

as much as I like/love/adore Keef one has to admit the tracks really come to life when they're sung by Mick.

In a way this 3-cd set is a testament to Mick as a singer : from the gentle seducive erotic voice on I've Got Dreams to Remember [Otis Redding cover] to the absolute beasty singing on "Strictly Memphis"!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 3, 2021 22:31

lyrics "Don´t Lie To Me":

"There´s two kinds of people I just can´t stand,
that´s a lying woman and a Monkey Man!" drinking smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 3, 2021 22:33

dcba
RE "Deep Love" I vs II and the bunch of 1997 tracks sung by Keith :

as much as I like/love/adore Keef one has to admit the tracks really come to life when they're sung by Mick.

In a way this 3-cd set is a testament to Mick as a singer : from the gentle seducive erotic voice on I've Got Dreams to Remember [Otis Redding cover] to the absolute beasty singing on "Strictly Memphis"!

And you can clearly hear is impact on the structure
of Deep Love: The bridge is earlier and not only once.

Posted by: django ()
Date: March 4, 2021 01:43

Fantastic stuff. But I doubt that all tracks are final versions. I've heard half of it now and there's hardly any background vocals, which is very unusual for the Stones. You can only hear Jagger. Anyway, great to have this. Memory Hotel early version?

Posted by: monkberry00 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 01:49

What has surfaced now is a part of the infamous stolen Don Was files.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 02:07

monkberry00

That's true? Never heard about that

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 4, 2021 02:18

django
Fantastic stuff. But I doubt that all tracks are final versions. I've heard half of it now and there's hardly any background vocals, which is very unusual for the Stones. You can only hear Jagger. Anyway, great to have this. Memory Hotel early version?

Don't let what the bootleggers call it shade your opinion. How many times has Texas 72 been called something else...or Brussels for that matter...

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 03:19

could this version of Fiji Jim have overdubs from 1993 (just like So Young)? The piano makes me wonder if this is chuck playing there

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: March 4, 2021 04:42

mike567
could this version of Fiji Jim have overdubs from 1993 (just like So Young)? The piano makes me wonder if this is chuck playing there

I think a several of these are songs that may have been spruced up for potential deluxe/expanded reissues and were ultimately rejected.

Posted by: afilosa09 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 05:44

monkberry00

"part of"? Does that mean there will be more?

Date: March 4, 2021 05:47

Overall, to my ears this sounds like it was mostly leaked from the Jagger camp/vault. "Scarlet" without the overdubs is one indication.

Otherwise you have a few things that sound like they were considered for the deluxe/expanded versions but not used - especially "Tell Her How It Is," obviously. Modern vocal made to sound old over a 'Trident Outtake' track.
"Trouble's A Coming" is similar to this - Exile-era "Stop breaking Down" guitars with a newer vocal. "Blood Red Wine," "Fast Talking,""Criss Cross," all fall in this category for me. Ditto for "You Win Again," "Not The Way To Go," "It's A Lie," "Never Make You Cry," "Fiji Jim," "Don't Lie To Me."
Possibly "Eliza Upchink," but that sounds a little more like it was updated during the "Dirty Work' era.

I don't hear much that sounds like Jagger solo as others claim. The most Jagger solo in my opinion is "Nobody's Perfect." Close behind is "Putty In Your Hands." That band simply does not sound like the Stones. (Who is playing those drums??)

I can't really place "Walk With Me Wendy" musically, but that vocal doesn't sound very modern. And those could be Mick Taylor guitars. Maybe Ron Wood solo stuff? (I'd say that about 'Covered In Bruises" too.)

If "Dreams To Remember"'s music wasn't recorded on the same day as "Let's Go Steady" I'd be shocked. Jagger vocal sound late 70s as well. This and "Don't Lie To Me" sound post-Some Girls tour era.

"She's Doing Her Thing" sounds authentically from 66-67 musically to my ears. Lots of similar guitar and instrument sounds as those Satanic boxes. Vocal easily sounds like 'On With the Show'-ish type stuff. And the backing vocals sound so Buttons/Satanic.

Very interesting that there is a cleaner, alternate mix/version of "Too Many Cooks" when they claimed they could not find a master for the Jagger hits CD comp. Mix doesn't have the funk guitar.

"Deep Love" has a new vocal over the Dirty Work era music, maybe Bigger Bang vocal/mix?
"Ivy League," "Prarie Love," "Desperate Man," "Dream About," sound similar Bigger Bang-era

"20 Nil," "Low Down," "Giving It Up," "Hands Off," "Flip The Switch," "Too Tight," "Might As Well Get Juiced," all sound like Bridges To Babylon outtakes to me (some titles obviously are!)

Most of the others fall into the Dirty Work/Undercover era for me.

Sanctuary, no clue. Sounds like three different albums.
Curtis Meets Smokey - ?? Maybe Steel Wheels?

My ears are tired. This is fun.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: March 4, 2021 06:04

"Walk with Me Wendy" sounds like "Keith Don't Go."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 4, 2021 10:46

Sounds like "I'm Going Down Too".

Lots of errors in your post JMARKO, even more than in Karnach's book in 1997;-)

People who know their boots/outtakes will have (fairly) quickly recognized "Trouble's A Coming" as the same exact song as "Break Away" that was first booted on "The Pain Of Love" [VGP-052] in 1995 in poor sound quality. Sounds like a 1972 track to it's possible they pulled it out of the vault to work on it at the time, like Cellophane Trousers or I Love Ladies that appeared on ER boots too. Same for "Putty In Your Hands" that was played during the 1985 sessions as documented in fan recordings made outside the studio and mentioned by Bill in his second book. As "Curtis Meets Smokey - ?? Maybe Steel Wheels?", seriously ?! It was recorded in 1969 during the sessions that produced Jamming With Edward, first mentioned by Karnbach.

mike567 - Yeah, Mick mentioned "So Young" in an online chat in early 1995 and it was mentioned at the time of the Virgin rereleases that tracks had been touched up with a view of adding them. It didn't happen and we only got "So Young", for no apparent reason !

@monkberry00 - that Don Was stolen tape business rings a bell but can't find anything here, can you refresh our memory ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 4, 2021 12:19

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 12:00 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 4, 2021 14:48

I have to think that there is more of this quality stuff coming, normally if this was all there was then a bootlegger would have broken it up into three single discs and put them out over 12-18 months or something. What do you all think?

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 14:57

Mr.D
I have to think that there is more of this quality stuff coming, normally if this was all there was then a bootlegger would have broken it up into three single discs and put them out over 12-18 months or something. What do you all think?

Two more sets are supposed to be on the way...

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 4, 2021 15:09

Mr.D
I agree Bob....the bootleggers have always "milked it to the max"

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 4, 2021 15:35

detroitken
Mr.D
I agree Bob....the bootleggers have always "milked it to the max"

"Milked It To The Max" isn't that a perfect name for the Stones Merch tent for the next tour?

Date: March 4, 2021 15:49

It's a bit hard to understand these bootleggers' strategy...Why release 3CDs in a nice set with postcards for only 45€ ? Given the rarity of this material they could have sold 1xCD at a time for 25€ (or even more), no ? On the other hand they probably knew that most die-hards would not think twice about getting a nice 3xCD deluxe set for 45€ so they were sure to sell out.

Also the fact that they seem mostly clueless about recording dates is rather perplexing !

NedKellyBandit
Thank you for the link to ebay.
I ordered mine copy. grinning smiley

Have you heard from the seller ? Has it shipped ? It seems he keeps adding copies for sale, there were maybe 20 originally now it's 100 (supposed to be a limited run of 500 copies). The fact that the delays are so long 25/03 to 08/04 right now even though they're shipping from Europe seems to indicate he may not actually have any stock in hand. Now with eBay/Paypal there's not much of a risk and the guy has 100% feedback too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-04 15:54 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: March 4, 2021 16:08

Can Don't lie to me be a MJ recording/rehearsal from 1987, with Jeff Beck, or a rehearsal for the solo tours of 1988?

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: March 4, 2021 16:34

Nico Zentgraf: Don't lie to me, (till now) unverified, Oct. 20 1987.

Posted by: monkberry00 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 18:00

Support your local dealer.

Date: March 4, 2021 19:46

gotdablouse

@monkberry00 - that Don Was stolen tape business rings a bell but can't find anything here, can you refresh our memory ?

People who know their boots/outtakes would know he’s referring to the Voodoo Stew/Brew/Residue sets that came out ages ago.

Sorry for my errors. First impressions a late at night.

I know Karnbach has Curtis and Smokey listed.
That recording doesn’t sound anything like those sessions to my ears. Including the conga/bongo player who, to my possible misrecollection, does not appear on any of the other tracks.

Date: March 4, 2021 19:59

JMARKO

"Trouble's A Coming" is similar to this - Exile-era "Stop breaking Down" guitars with a newer vocal.

This is fun.

Yes this is fun!!!
"Trouble's A Coming" to me is a clone of the Nassau'79 outtake "Break Away",with a much cleaner sound that is.

Posted by: hobshobs1 ()
Date: March 4, 2021 20:33

monkberry00
Support your local dealer.

Registered 3 days ago. 3 messages posted to date, the third with a nice photo of this highly anticipated new release along with a request for support for local bootleg dealers.

Manufacturer? Wholesaler? Bootleg dealer?

My thought patterns really worry me at times.

Date: March 4, 2021 23:00

Yeah, nice picture, but others have received their copy so...anyway pray tell us what you meant by that "stolen Don Was tapes" comment.

JMARKO
gotdablouse

People who know their boots/outtakes would know he’s referring to the Voodoo Stew/Brew/Residue sets that came out ages ago.

Sorry for my errors. First impressions a late at night.

I know Karnbach has Curtis and Smokey listed.
That recording doesn’t sound anything like those sessions to my ears. Including the conga/bongo player who, to my possible misrecollection, does not appear on any of the other tracks.

You're joking right, not only did you not understand the member I quoted was OBVIOUSLY referring to THIS NEW 3xCD COLLECTION but it's also been known to almost everyone here for 15+ years that the Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue leak come from Ronnie's stepson, try to keep up : [iorr.org]

@dcba - it's not a "clone" it's the same song (possibly that exact same version) that made its way to "The Pain of Love" for some reason, either they played it back during the sessions, like English Rose or Man Eating in Rotterdam, or VGP got confused. As you noted somewhere else, it's similar to "Crazy Mama" and Mick probably vetoed it, he doesn't like things to sound "the same" as Keith reminded us in the VL documentary ;-) Probably the reason they've stayed a going concern for nearly 60 years ! Oh and we still have a missing mastered song from GHS that was called "Give is a Break"..."Break Away" ? Maybe we'll find out some day !

--------------

Date: March 5, 2021 00:23

gotdablouse
It's a bit hard to understand these bootleggers' strategy...Why release 3CDs in a nice set with postcards for only 45€ ? Given the rarity of this material they could have sold 1xCD at a time for 25€ (or even more), no ?

Maybe because they got tons of stuff to churn out and 3 discs in a row make things go quicker (and as soon as you're done you can dive back into anonymity). As Henrik87 pointed out, word on the street is there will be other volumes.
Imagine 3 separate releases of 3-cds each... That would make 150 tracks in total? Wow!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:02

(My good friend) Dan wrote:

THIS STUFF IS THE REAL DEAL!!!!!! We needed a late night "Hotel Business office" listening and review party!!!!

Really Love "TROUBLE IS A COMING" another surprise one. Wonder if Don Was found this on the Exile Session Tapes?

"ELIZA UPCHINK"- super clear, far and away the best we have!
"FIJI JIM" added keyboard in the mix.
This stuff is incredible

"YOU BETTER STOP THAT" - Cool "Undercover" style rocker....Guitar tone in solo like She Was Hot.
With that and "DREAMS TO REMEMBER" which is a real soul work out in a style like Cry to Me, and a better sonic versions of "TRIED TO TALK HER INTO IT", and STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU" (with Alt vocals) They have to re-do the Complete Undercover outtakes boot now HA HA!

-SERIOUSLY DOUBT that CD 1 track 1 "Nobody's Perfect" is from 1975.
Sounds like 1980's Jagger She's the Boss/ Primitive Cool vocals.
Someone had to mention that on iorr
See "BUILT THAT WAY" labeled correctly, I believe, as 1984...straight She's The Boss vibe. That date makes perfect sense! and NOT the rest of the Stones playing on this.

Same with "DESPERATE MAN",,,NO WAY 1973 Maybe the idea came from something back then, but this is straight Bridges To "B to Babylon" in style, guitar tone, and Jagger vocal inflection. NO WAY way a vintage musical track with new overdubs like Tops, Waiting On A Friend, etc.

"It's a Lie" is ALTERNATE version from the other two we have!
Crystal Clear audio!!!!!

"SCARLETT" is alternate pre lead solo overdub, but not Keith lead vocal, but his background vox more prominent.

"DON'T YOU LIE TO ME" "....a lying woman and a Monkey Man!" SWEET ! Dallas rehearsals?. Or Exile live session live whole band warmup?

"LOW DOWN" with original Keith vocal... a true outtake with different guitar parts- like it. Always liked this song. Thrilled to see it live in NYC 1998.

"NEVER MAKE YOU CRY"- Might sound repetitive in saying, but clearest vocal version we ever had of this early Some Girls outtake!

"PART OF THE NIGHT"- A nice 1976 (?) ballad with a nice guitar tone that should be pushed up front more. May of had potential if Jagger worked more on the lyrics, In time for Black and Blue? probably not. So, a candidate for Tattoo You. No fit for Some Girls or Emotional Rescue.

"SHE'S DOING HER THING" - Says 1967 A Between The Buttons outtake?....OR a demo for another artist to cover?. Fits the BTB style, but seems later and sonically different than if recorded in 1966 for BTB. A bit pedestrian, but not finished. It does have some SatanicMR musical stylings with that percussion and overdriven Organ. Love Keith's OH No! @1:26 . Just great to hear late 60's outtakes. I love- I Can See It/Get Yourself together. IF TSMR outtake, that makes us hopeful that some of the other instrumentals may have vocals laid down....

"LIVING IN THE HEART OF LOVE" How I wish I could have always heard it clarity wise, but miss this is a new vocal take, without Keith's background vocals. NOT an improvement, but still a great IORR outtake with the most gritty Leslie Speaker guitar tone ever from Keith. Better sonics on Mick Taylor's guitar accents. So much potential in this song.

"IVY LEAGUE"- With it's cool Fender Rhodes groove and Harmonica honking, MY absolute favorite Voodoo Lounge outtake. BUT we only had it as an Instrumental...NOW WITH Vocals!! Grooving to this one 100%

"IORR" - IS THE ORIGINAL with Ronnie's backing vocals clearly audible! A true treasure. Master negotiation back in the day to get this for The Stones IORR album, and not on Ronnie's'. Worth giving Him "Act Together", and as much as I love it, "Sure The one You Need" in trade.

"COVERED IN BRUISES"- Ronnie's attempt at a contending Tattoo You track. Black Limo, and No Use in Crying are better, but this may have worked if not abandoned....maybe for Undercover LP instead of Feel On Baby?

"CRISS CROSS" A bit underwhelming after the Official release, but I like the natural vocal, and more audible Texas Bobby Keys on sax when I gave it a chance. Great outtake of an now Official song. GHS "disc 3" with Fast Talking, etc.

"TOO TIGHT" Great energetic Keith vocal and riffing. Always wish Keith would do have done HIS rockers on those 90's albums rather than his Ballads. Weird violin accompaniment that does not really fit this rocker, but makes it unique!

"MIGHT AS WELL GET JUICED" This is the vein Keith was referring to when he said better versions were "in the can". Has the Fx loop, but it's toned down. The textured guitar instrumentation has a more blues feeling that I, as well as Keith, think is superior. Early lyrics not fully developed.

"CURTIS MEETS MONKEY"....1966? sonics and acoustics are a bit more modern. Richer and not as 'thin' sounding. How did they not get that sound on Aftermath or Between The Buttons? I am sure RCA studios had some congas lying around, but would they use them...????

"FLIP THE SWITCH" Crazy spacey intro...in tribute of Heaven's Gate? Keith's demo and vocals. Love that biting guitar in that song....it's developing here, but not loud enough. Some bum notes mid song. Still Rocking with unique guitar solo just starting before they end abruptly...

"FAST TALKING" has a HUGELY different mix, but is real clear!!!!!
ALMOST sounds like an alternate version. Vocals and all! Huge mistake not putting this on GHS 2020. I'll say it to the day I die...

"BLOOD RED WINE" - Always a pretty good version on Trident Mixes, but it was generated and a tad bit muddy. This one is the same version of the song, but Is real clear, with Jagger's vocal breaking through, and longer drum outro. "ABKCO Copyright Preservation" group is probably pissed.

More songs, but gotta hit the sack....

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:37

exilestones
(My good friend) Dan wrote:

THIS STUFF IS THE REAL DEAL!!!!!! We needed a late night "Hotel Business office" listening and review party!!!!

Great idea!

Is it too crazy to think we could set up a Teams or Zoom call with site members to discuss?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home