Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Question about The Brussels Affair (Live 1973)
Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: July 3, 2020 16:33

01. Is there a soundboard recording of Star Star (1st concert)?

02. Is there a soundboard recording of Street Fighting Man (1st concert) (that we are sure is from the first gig)?

Re: Question about The Brussels Affair (Live 1973)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 3, 2020 16:40

Welcome back!

01 - no.
02 - iirc it's on VGP-088 (with the super-weird atonal MT solo at the end of the track).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-03 18:03 by dcba.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: July 3, 2020 19:06

I believe the version on VGP-088 is the same one commonly listed as from the first show on many releases. Is there a reason to doubt it?
On the contrary, I do not think there is a version from the 2nd show circulating in SDB or AUD, like Brown Sugar and Midnight Rambler. Anyone disagree?

Date: July 3, 2020 20:35

blakeeik
I believe the version on VGP-088 is the same one commonly listed as from the first show on many releases. Is there a reason to doubt it?
On the contrary, I do not think there is a version from the 2nd show circulating in SDB or AUD, like Brown Sugar and Midnight Rambler. Anyone disagree?

I suspect that version of Street Fighting Man is actually from London, Wembley Pool 09.09. 1973

Date: July 3, 2020 22:39

CaptainAcid
I suspect that version of Street Fighting Man is actually from London, Wembley Pool 09.09. 1973

Interesting. Are you saying that the "Europe '73" Street Fighting Man is from another venue, or is the same venue but a different mix/edit? Because lots of sources list that version as 9/9/73.

What lead to you believe this? horns?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-03 23:07 by blakeeik.

Date: July 3, 2020 22:54

I see wikipedia cites SFM as being from London, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-03 22:55 by blakeeik.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: July 3, 2020 23:35

blakeeik

The official release "The (Official) Brussels Affair 73 (Improved Sound)" should be the complete 2nd show.
[www.discogs.com]

Think it was available as a download (iTunes?) and a 3lp version, and a limited edition together with "Marqee Club" as a DVD/CD.
[www.amazon.de]

Unpacking: [www.youtube.com]

Like dcba has written before, there are tracks from the first show, that can't be found as soundboard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-03 23:44 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: July 3, 2020 23:51

The official release "The (Official) Brussels Affair 73 (Improved Sound)" should be the complete 2nd show.
[www.discogs.com]

Nope, BS, MR and SFM are from 1st show

Date: July 4, 2020 00:12

Dorn
[www.discogs.com]

Nope, BS, MR and SFM are from 1st show

Angie, BS, MR and RTJ have the same source on both releases, the Brussels Affair (KBFH) & The (Official) Brussels Affair. I've just listened to them to compare. I always thought, these 4 tracks are taken from the 2nd show, but I might be wrong with that and KBFH aired everything from the 1st show, except Street Fighting Man which sounds like London, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-04 00:50 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: July 4, 2020 09:58

blakeeik

yes, on many KBFH bootlegs SFM is from London. So i guess there is no soundboard from Brussels 1st gig in circulation.

Posted by: nasosIX ()
Date: July 4, 2020 10:53

CaptainAcid
blakeeik

yes, on many KBFH bootlegs SFM is from London. So i guess there is no soundboard from Brussels 1st gig in circulation.

Both London 9/9 and Brussels 1st recordings of SFM are well circulated. The Brussels 1st is also officially released.

The easiest marker are the final words spoken to the crowd by Jagger: „Goodnight!“ (London) and „Au revoir, merci!“ (Brussels)

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

A nice detailed analysis is here to be found - many IORR members have contributed with research and information all these years.

Date: July 4, 2020 14:48

"The easiest marker are the final words spoken to the crowd by Jagger: „Goodnight!“ (London) and „Au revoir, merci!“ (Brussels)"

Yes, that's it, i got the correct version with „Au revoir, merci!“ smoking smiley

Date: July 4, 2020 16:58

CaptainAcid

So between the Europe '73 and the From the Vault versions, one of them is from London. Where do you think the other one is from if not Brussels 1st?

Date: July 4, 2020 17:59

blakeeik
CaptainAcid

So between the Europe '73 and the From the Vault versions, one of them is from London. Where do you think the other one is from if not Brussels 1st?

Well, i guess it is from the Brussels 1st show, after all. If it has Jagger saying „Au revoir, merci!“, at the end of the song.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: July 4, 2020 19:38

blakeeik
CaptainAcid

the version on Europe 73 is definitely from London
Brussels Affair is 17.10.73 1st show

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: July 4, 2020 19:51

VGP-088 "The Lost Brussels" contains the complete 1st show from Brussels in soundboard except for Star Star which is audience quality.

Date: July 4, 2020 20:22

Dorn
the version on Europe 73 is definitely from London
Brussels Affair is 17.10.73 1st show

Yes, those are the long accepted associations.

Date: July 5, 2020 00:28

Because I was totally wrong with the Brussels sources today, I checked the following CD's and can give you hopefully the complete tracklists:

1) KBFH-QUAD-Mix (Rolling Stones / KBFH Quad Reel / 3CDR)

[www.giginjapan.com]

Brown Sugar - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Gimme Shelter - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Happy - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Tumbling Dice - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Dancing With Mr. D. - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Angie - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
You Can't Always Get What You Want - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Midnight Rambler - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Honky Tonk Women - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
All Down The Line - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Rip This Joint - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Jumping Jack Flash - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Street Fighting Man - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show

2) A Brussels Affair 2CD [CHAM 8812]

[www.discogs.com]

Brown Sugar - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Happy - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Gimme Shelter - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Tumbling Dice - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Dancing With Mr. D. - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Angie - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
You Can't Always Get What You Want - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Honky Tonk Women - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Midnight Rambler - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
All Down The Line - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Rip This Joint - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Jumping Jack Flash - 19731017, Brussels, 1st show
Street Fighting Man - 19730909 London

3) The (Official) Brussels Affair 73 (Improved Sound) – CD (From The Vault)

[www.discogs.com]

Brown Sugar - 19731017 Brussels 1st show
Gimme Shelter - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Happy - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Tumbling Dice - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Star Star - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Dancing With Mr. D. - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - 19731017, Brussels, 2nd show
Angie - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
You Can't Always Get What You Want - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Midnight Rambler - 19731017 Brussels 1st show
Honky Tonk Women - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
All Down The Line - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show ***
Rip This Joint - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Jumping Jack Flash - 19731017 Brussels 2nd show
Street Fighting Man - 19731017 Brussels 1st show

*** By the way, Nico Zentgraf wrote on his fabulous website, that MT's guitar solo in All Down The Line was taken from the 1st show...

Good Night,

Blue

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-05 00:33 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: July 5, 2020 09:51

BlueTurns2Grey

*** By the way, Nico Zentgraf wrote on his fabulous website, that MT's guitar solo in All Down The Line was taken from the 1st show...

Good Night,

Blue

Yes, because the original guitar solo from the 2nd show as it can be heard on Back To The Graveyard is a bit failed...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 9, 2020 00:04

wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

Yes, because the original guitar solo from the 2nd show as it can be heard on Back To The Graveyard is a bit failed...

Where can I find Back To The Graveyard?

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: July 9, 2020 01:49

TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

[www.filefactory.com]

Date: July 9, 2020 18:10

StoneZP
TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

[www.filefactory.com]

Thank you!

Date: July 9, 2020 18:12

wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

Well, what the hell happened there!?!?! Did he just stop playing? Haha, bizarre.

A side question, why do some bootlegs have the sound shifting sides of the stereo spectrum? Richards' guitar was all over the place.

Date: July 9, 2020 18:52

TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

Well, what the hell happened there!?!?! Did he just stop playing? Haha, bizarre.

A side question, why do some bootlegs have the sound shifting sides of the stereo spectrum? Richards' guitar was all over the place.

It was broadcasted in quadrophonic sound and the rear channel mix was diffrent to the front channels. So radio stations and bootleggers might have mixed it in diffrent ways to stereo.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 19:21

I always thought there were 3 versions of Street Fighting Man? I'll have to check.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: July 10, 2020 04:56

soulsurvivor1
I always thought there were 3 versions of Street Fighting Man? I'll have to check.

Not quite. Two versions, but one has two mixes. There is the London version, which I think is the best, which was used on all the '70s broadcasts and bootlegs. Then the Brussels version first turned up in the 1988 broadcast IIRC. The Brussels version was remixed for the 2011 official release, and will presumably be used on Disc 3 of the Goat's Head Soup Super Deluxe Edition.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: July 10, 2020 16:55

Thank You for the clarification on SFM. I like the idea that they are including The Brussels Affair with the Super Deluxe Edition. However, I feel that they should have given us all the available tracks from both shows.

Soulsurvivor

Date: July 11, 2020 02:57

BlueTurns2Grey
TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

It was broadcasted in quadrophonic sound and the rear channel mix was diffrent to the front channels. So radio stations and bootleggers might have mixed it in diffrent ways to stereo.

Interesting. I had no idea this was broadcast in Quad. Thanks.

Date: July 11, 2020 05:18

TravelinMan
BlueTurns2Grey
TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

More infos about the quad version (3 CD set), KBFH King Biscuit Flower Hour, Discrete 4-Channel Quad Reel pre-FM, Broadcast Date: 29th September 1974 : [www.giginjapan.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 05:22 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: July 11, 2020 05:41

BlueTurns2Grey
TravelinMan
BlueTurns2Grey
TravelinMan
wiredallnight
BlueTurns2Grey

Good Night,

Blue

More infos about the quad version (3 CD set), KBFH King Biscuit Flower Hour, Discrete 4-Channel Quad Reel pre-FM, Broadcast Date: 29th September 1974 : [www.giginjapan.com]

Here it is
[we.tl]
Good for a week spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home