Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones 45's
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 09:22

Collecting singles is a wonderful and endless adventure, but I've now decided to strip my collection down to UK, US and EU releases. Still, if you consider all the aspects of such a collecting activity (covers, labels, data on vinyl) you have to look for circa 400 UK records and no less than 600 from the USA. And I might be conservative...
You've a long way to go.
Recently, I've bought a promotional only single licensed by Musidor B.V. to S.T.Dupont (pens and lighters) who released a high-priced edition of 1962 lighters, in 2015. The single is totally unknown to everybody and nobody knows how many copies have been pressed. Surely, it's not part of the de-luxe boxed-set presented with the lighter or the related pen. As the record is not arrived yet, I can only say that the top of their RS lighter presents the titles of four songs on its sides. What if the 7" was a 4-track EP? We'll see...
This just to underline that it truly is an endless adventure, even when you believe you are a well-learnt Collector. Nowadays, Collectors have wonderful sites (stonesonddecca, Tim Catinat's) to visit and to avoid those Central and South American sellers who flood ebay with fake covers. Some books are also useful to beginners, others are dedicated to more experienced Collectors.
That said, I'm very glad to see that 'new' Collectors are coming!
Thanks for reading, bye, Luca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 09:24 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 18, 2020 18:43

>avoid those Central and South American sellers who flood ebay with fake covers.

Fake covers? That's the first I have heard of that. Got any more details or maybe a citation or two?

jb

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 19:23

Look on eBay and you’ll easily find them. Some of these sellers use the genuine record inside fakes glamour covers. Some others even modify the labels. If you search for ‘Rolling Stones Mexico’ or Uruguay or similars you find them. I hope you understand the reason why I do not report the name of them, here. If you want to write to privately...

Date: June 18, 2020 19:28

Well I was just wondering if the covers in question were truly not released by the Mexican or whatever arm of their record company(ies). That's what I always assume when I see covers I have never seen before, that they were limited distribution local versions put out by the local companies. That could make them "fake", I guess, though what I envision when I hear "fake" is some guy with a printing press printing up a few to sell to the unsuspecting. But I would never really know they were fake vs just small authorized distribution, so that is what I was wondering, how you know they are fake versus just assuming they are fake.

Not doubting you in any way, I know strange things happen, I am just not sure what to label them.

Thanks
jb

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:54

@jbwelda

Those ones are US Sellers winking smiley
Making Fakes is not only in South America, it's almost everywhere
in Asia and also Europe.

Genuine records but fake covers !

Go for the four volume Of Christoph Maus called Rolling Stones Worldwide
even if there is some mistakes like in any book, it will help you a lot.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 00:48 by Honestman.

Date: June 19, 2020 00:25

OK thanks. I will check out that site although I am already pretty familiar with the USA/UK/Euro catalogue. Its the outliers that I don't know. Like the couple in my collection, could well be bootlegs (pirates more like) and I don't know it.

Personally I would drop twenty for that cover with Ian Stewart in the photo. Wicked pic.

jb

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 19, 2020 00:28

Rockman

Bill as the baby in the band.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 19, 2020 00:30

Honestman
Four Stone Walls
I think that Winning Ugly was released as a 12" single in the UK.

Right and wrong, there's a 12 but from Canada again.

Ah, I see. I used to see them for sale sometimes in UK. But very occasionally.
That was why.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2020 00:55

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2020 01:06

Cover art - Hubert Kretzschmar
Sticker concept - Peter Corriston

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2020 16:32

Rockman
Hey yeah ...
gotta a couple of the Canadian Winnin' Uglies 7" ......

Did you get the 12" version as well Rman?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 19, 2020 21:55

About the fake covers for South America singles, best place about Stones singles:

[stones7.com]

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 21, 2020 05:30

Here's one rarely seen. The story I was told behind this (there are 5 known tracks on 3 45s) is that the Stones wanted to hear what Exile, and in particular, these songs being considered for singles release, would sound like on the radio. So, just prior to the Swiss rehearsals for the 72 US Tour, a scant few of these were pressed (I know of 3 to exist) and driven to radio stations to be played while the Stones rode around London in limos listening to them on the radio. Again, that is what I was told long ago. The only record collecting book in which I ever saw mention of these was the VOX Record Collector Guide in the late 90s or early 2000s.

The 45s are:

SAM 1 - single sided Tumbling Dice. I have heard of 1 in existence.
SAM 3 - Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line (or vice versa!) - I know of 3 and own 1. James Mangrum ("the Great One") had another but has it no longer.
SAM 4 - Happy c/w Shine a Light - same as SAM 3, I know of 3 and own 1. James Mangrum ("the Great One") had another but has it no longer.

The difference with these 45s is that each is a stand alone Mono mix that is different than any other version. It's not a fold down, but, as Mr. Mangrum explained to me one night (over a case of Miller Ponies while catching a fire), its own distinct version.

AMAZING stuff!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-23 00:04 by stonesstein.

Date: June 21, 2020 05:57

yes yeah .… have a couple of them too …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 21, 2020 08:10

stonesstein
Here's one rarely seen. The story I was told behind this (there are 5 known tracks on 3 45s) is that the Stones wanted to hear what Exile, and in particular, these songs being considered for singles release, would sound like on the radio. So, just prior to the Swiss rehearsals for the 72 US Tour, a scant few of these were pressed (I know of 3 to exist) and driven to radio stations to be played while the Stones rode around London in limos listening to them on the radio. Again, that is what I was told long ago. The only record collecting book in which I ever saw mention of these was the VOX Record Collector Guide in the late 90s or early 2000s.

This is very plausible.

I had a friend who was in a band (The Dodgems - "Lord Lucan Is Missing") who did a session for the John Peel Show on the BBC. At the end of the session when they hoped they had got it all right, John Waters (Peel's producer) played it through a beat up old small transistor radio to check that it sounded OK on the type of stuff most of the audience would hear it on.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 23, 2020 00:08

Edited prior post to get picture uploaded (finally!)

Here's SAM4 - Shine a Light Side

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 23, 2020 00:25

Rockman

yes yeah .… have a couple of them too …

I only have one of each, though more JJF's and Brown Sugar's than you can shake a stick at

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 23, 2020 00:32

Four Stone Walls
Rockman

That's one homely baby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-23 00:33 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 23, 2020 15:11

More Hot Rocks
Four Stone Walls
Rockman

That's one homely baby

Well, we can all probably agree the soup bowl haircut is homely.

Date: June 23, 2020 21:42

Yeah but the pram aint road worthy ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 24, 2020 19:37

I only own 3 Stones 45s:

IORR/Through The Lonely Nights
She Was Hot/I Think I'm Going Mad
Mixed Emotions/Fancy Man Blues (also bought the 3" CD single)

The rest of them didn't interest me I guess.

CD singles... I got the Highwire promo thinking it would have the full count and it was chopped! Couldn't find the actual CD single for it. Did get:

Sex Drive
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Ruby Tuesday
Love Is Strong (the silly one with The Storm and the studid remixes and the 2 track Bob Clearmountain one)
YGMR - stupid; only the B-side was good
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild
LARS
Wild Horses
ASMB - stupid remixes
Saint Of Me
Out Of Control - only the edit version was worthy
Don't Stop

Did they make any more after Don't Stop?

Date: June 25, 2020 00:35

I got most of those too, hard to find a decent track amongst them. Some of the Stripped related ones were OK, but most of the "remixes" just plain suck. Sucking in the 20s as it were. A "b" side of note hidden in there but i forget where exactly.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 25, 2020 01:33

jbwelda
I got most of those too, hard to find a decent track amongst them. Some of the Stripped related ones were OK, but most of the "remixes" just plain suck. Sucking in the 20s as it were. A "b" side of note hidden in there but i forget where exactly.

jb

A majority of their B-sides have been LP tracks, as I recall.

If you listen to Black Limo from the LARS single and from whatever TOTALLY STRIPPED show and they're different yet from the same show!

Date: June 29, 2020 19:42

from the same US seller some other fake ones (home made PS)
which have never exist !

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 00:48 by Honestman.

Date: June 29, 2020 20:03

Yes I am seeing more and more of these since you pointed them out. Thank you for that.

jb

Date: June 30, 2020 13:22

Mexican

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: June 30, 2020 18:47

French rarities
[www.cjoint.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-30 18:48 by JMARCOU.

Date: June 30, 2020 22:54

JMARCOU
French rarities
[www.cjoint.com]

I called them le trio infernal, big $$$ to get them now.
Easiest to catch though is the Decca 457026M, the other two belong to Mission Impossible.

Great collection thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 2, 2020 11:44

Thank you
here USA rarities
[www.cjoint.com]

Posted by: Marthijn ()
Date: June 7, 2021 23:15

I have two a promo and a "regular". Both 12 inch.
mix is the same. Sleeve very different

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home