Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bob Dylan - Farm-Aid 1986-07-04 _CaptainAcidRemaster
Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:29

Still On The Road: 1986 True Confessions Tour: US Summer
8180 Rich Stadium
Buffalo, New York
4 July 1986
Captain Acid Remaster

Hi Dylan gang,

I have done phase and level correction. In the end i did new EQ.
Also i added to this version missing tracks "So Long, Good Luck And Goodbye", "Even The Losers" and complete version of "Spike". Also added bonus track "Thanks God", all from bootleg "Rich For Poor". I fixed the artwork, too....adding tracks that were missing on this version.
"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is still missing.

Captain Acid, April 2020

[mega.nz]

CD ONE
1. So Long, Good Luck And Goodbye (Weldon Rogers)
2. Positively 4th Street
3. Clean Cut Kid
4. Emotionally Yours
5. Trust Yourself
6. We Had It All (Donny Fritts-Troy Seals)
7. Masters Of War

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:
8. Straight Into Darkness (Tom Petty)
9. Think About Me (Tom Petty)
10. The Waiting (Tom Petty)
11. Breakdown (Tom Petty)

12. To Ramona
13. One Too Many Mornings
14. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
15. I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know (Cecil A. Null)
16. Band Of The Hand
17. When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
18. Lonesome Town (Baker Knight)

CD TWO
1. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:
2. Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry)
3. Even The Losers (Tom Petty)
4. Spike (Tom Petty)
5. Refugee (Tom Petty & Mike Campbell)

6. Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35
7. Seeing The Real You At Last
8. Across The Borderline (Ry Cooder/John Hiatt/Jim Dickinson)
9. I And I
10. band introduction
11. Like A Rolling Stone
12. In The Garden

13. Blowin' In The Wind
14. Uranium Rock (Warren Smith)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - not included
15. Thanks God - bonus track (San Francisco 1986)

LB-3309, BOOTLEG: Farm Aid 1986; artwork says pre-broadcast master stereo sbd; (missing opening song So Long, Good Luck And Goodbye and Forget About Me (Petty) and Knockin' On Heaven's Door); very good to excellent sound ; in comparison to the video this is similar sound quality with a few different songs; on a side by side comparison on d1t6 the mix is different on this one so that the lead guitar much more prominent so it could be heard and the vocals are a little more prominent and less harsh and this one was louder too

Concert #19 of the 1986 True Confessions US Tour. Concert #38 with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. 1986 concert #38.
Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar) with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.
Tom Petty (guitar), Mike Campbell (guitar), Benmont Tench (keyboards), Howie Epstein (bass), Stan Lynch (drums)
and with The Queens Of Rhythm: Carolyn Dennis, Queen Esther Marrow, Madelyn Quebec, Louise Bethune (backing
vocals).
8-10 Bob Dylan solo (vocal & guitar).
8, 9, 24 Bob Dylan (harmonica).
11, 22, 24 Bob Dylan and Tom Petty (shared vocals).
16 Howie Epstein (slide guitar), Tom Petty (bass).

Note. 16-18 broadcast live by satellite for Farm Aid 2 by VH-1 TV and on various radio stations.

BobTalk
All right. Tom and I are gonna sing an old song for you. They don't write these kind of songs anymore. It's about someone who thinks they know it all. (before I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know)
All right. Ricky Nelson, he did a lot of my songs. I'm gonna do one of his now, called Lonesome Town.
OK before we go any further I wanna thank the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for backing me up tonight. I say it's a rare privilege to play with a band like this. Anybody could sound good, even you. You'd sound great with a band like this.
Anyway, on the keyboards Benmont Tench. Come on now. Well, Benmont's a keyboard player, he's a great songwriter too. Anyway, on the electric guitar, Michael Campbell. Ha-ha come on, you have to do better than that. On the drums, Stan Lynch. Anyway on the bass from Buffalo, New York, Howie Epstein. I especially wanna thank Mr. Tom Petty himself, and of course I have my own Heartbreakers. I always did. Standing over here, that's Louise Bethune, Carolyn Dennis, Madelyn Quebec and Queen Esther Marrow. (before Like A Rolling Stone)

Bootlegs
Fourth Of July Song And Dance. Shogun LP.
Rich For Poor. Rambling Cowboy BUF 689145 2CD.

5 new songs (20%) compared to previous concert. No new songs for this tour.
1-18 stereo PA recording.
Stereo audience recording, 150 minutes.
Session info updated 8 May 2004.

Re: Bob Dylan - Farm-Aid 1986-07-04 _CaptainAcidRemaster
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 7, 2020 16:13

Thanks for another one Captain!

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:14

Are we transforming into a Dylan forum?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:43

Hopefully yes!

Date: April 7, 2020 19:01

wiredallnight
Are we transforming into a Dylan forum?

smoking smiley

.....since we all have some extra free time, why not something extra from my another favorite artist

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 7, 2020 19:48

Aye Aye Captain, and ship o hoy, thanks for another one

Date: April 7, 2020 19:51

dcba
Hopefully yes!

>grinning smiley<

Date: April 7, 2020 20:05

CaptainAcid

"OK before we go any further I wanna thank the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for backing me up tonight. I say it's a rare privilege to play with a band like this. Anybody could sound good, even you. You'd sound great with a band like this".

Btw I never understood Bob's love for an (imho) average bar band. In 1988 with a bunch of nobodies Dylan made far better music.
Maybe someone more intelligent than me can explain this mystery?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 20:06 by dcba.

Date: April 7, 2020 20:14

dcba
CaptainAcid

"OK before we go any further I wanna thank the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for backing me up tonight. I say it's a rare privilege to play with a band like this. Anybody could sound good, even you. You'd sound great with a band like this".

Btw I never understood Bob's love for an (imho) average bar band. In 1988 with a bunch of nobodies Dylan made far better music.

Well, Dear F. i absolutely disagree. Bob had many good bands backing him, and Tom Petty & Heartbreakers are among the best. Especially with a players like Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench. Their 1987 tour was among the best. And that tour restored Dylan`s faith in himself, according to his autobiography.

Date: April 7, 2020 21:36

Okay I retreat to my cave... grinning smiley

OT but Colonel, isn't that Frankfurt'82 III tape quite enjoyable (once being drastically reworked of course).

Date: April 7, 2020 23:42

dcba
Okay I retreat to my cave... grinning smiley

OT but Colonel, isn't that Frankfurt'82 III tape quite enjoyable (once being drastically reworked of course).

Yes, sure it is. I got the master tapes of all 3 gigs in Frankfurt, from the taper himself. I have almost finished third night. I shall go backwards, next will be second night. But i am waiting for Mr D to finish the artwork, it will be shared very soon

Date: April 8, 2020 10:25

If that can help there were a bunch of authentic Frankfurt'82 pics posted here at IORR a few years ago.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 9, 2020 20:44

THX

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: April 12, 2020 18:41

Can't wait to listen to this. Thank you.

Date: April 16, 2020 16:38

Thanks!

Date: May 13, 2020 00:01

CaptainAcid
dcba
CaptainAcid

Well, Dear F. i absolutely disagree. Bob had many good bands backing him, and Tom Petty & Heartbreakers are among the best. Especially with a players like Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench. Their 1987 tour was among the best. And that tour restored Dylan`s faith in himself, according to his autobiography.

I didn't take part of this discussion, as things are complicated with the Heartbreakers. In several US 1986 shows, they were terrible - but so was Dylan. But I was re-watching the Hard To Handle movie today (Sydney 1986) and they are as good as good can be.

And a poster here, Leonard Keringer, who left about 10 years ago, told me about a visit to a studio in the 80s. And they wondered who the heck let in these amateurs in the studio next to them - it sounded like teenagers. But it turned out that it was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
So they need to be "on" to get it right. But actually that is a good sign. No fakery. Mike Campbell can be really terrific, same goes their piano player.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 13, 2020 03:56

Erik_Snow
CaptainAcid
dcba
CaptainAcid

I didn't take part of this discussion, as things are complicated with the Heartbreakers. In several US 1986 shows, they were terrible - but so was Dylan. But I was re-watching the Hard To Handle movie today (Sydney 1986) and they are as good as good can be.

And a poster here, Leonard Keringer, who left about 10 years ago, told me about a visit to a studio in the 80s. And they wondered who the heck let in these amateurs in the studio next to them - it sounded like teenagers. But it turned out that it was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
So they need to be "on" to get it right. But actually that is a good sign. No fakery. Mike Campbell can be really terrific, same goes their piano player.

Yes, Hard To Handle is pretty good. I saw several shows in 1987 across Europe and felt they were a bit hit and miss. When Bob wasn't really "on" (and that was more often the case than not), the Heartbreakers weren't really "on", too - they could not save the show like the 1984 tour band could to an extent.

All in all, compared to 1978, the whole adventure felt a bit anticlimactic. Solid, yes. But nothing more. Transcendent? Definitely not.

Edit: 1987 instead of 1986 (thanks to Erik for reminding me!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 18:15 by retired_dog.

Date: May 13, 2020 12:04

retired_dog
All in all, compared to 1978, the whole adventure felt a bit anticlimactic. Solid, yes. But nothing more. Transcendent? Definitely not.

Compared to 1978, just about anything falls short, so that's no argument!
Just joking, as I find it nice to hear that you think the same.

Btw, I think you meant Europe 1987. Way better tour. But a really hit or miss.
I think Dylan was drinking heavily at the time.

But "Hard To Handle"......that's out of this world, IMO. And they really chose the great tracks for this video. As some (mostly the cover-songs) were horrible.
The only thing I blame them for, is not including Lucky Old Sun. Then again, it's pretty similiar to I'll Remember You, when it comes to chord-changes, and tempo

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 13, 2020 18:09

Erik_Snow
retired_dog

Compared to 1978, just about anything falls short, so that's no argument!
Just joking, as I find it nice to hear that you think the same.

Btw, I think you meant Europe 1987. Way better tour. But a really hit or miss.
I think Dylan was drinking heavily at the time.

But "Hard To Handle"......that's out of this world, IMO. And they really chose the great tracks for this video. As some (mostly the cover-songs) were horrible.
The only thing I blame them for, is not including Lucky Old Sun. Then again, it's pretty similiar to I'll Remember You, when it comes to chord-changes, and tempo

Of course I meant Europe 1987, sorry for the mistake, hope it's not a sign of my memory beginning to fade...!

What I definitely remember from all the 1984 and 1987 shows I attended is my impression that Dylan was on a search again after his 1975-1981 peak.

Date: May 13, 2020 18:26

retired_dog
Of course I meant Europe 1987, sorry for the mistake, hope it's not a sign of my memory beginning to fade...!

What I definitely remember from all the 1984 and 1987 shows I attended is my impression that Dylan was on a search again after his 1975-1981 peak.

Don't be sorry for your "mistake", retired dog, I am always found of somebody making a mistake, or somebody making a fool of themselves (not that you did!) , because it makes me relieved for the mistakes I have done.

Would like to hear which 1984-1987 shows you saw. But I know that's asking too much, so you don't have to answer.

It's wierd with the "1984 thing". A lot of Dylan freaks loathe that tour. But if edited right, it's a great thing. The backing band was too limited for Dylan's mind me think. But some times, maybe only at a couple of tracks, it CLICKED, then it really worked.
1987 was more experiamental. Sometimes, it fell to hell, others, it was the best live work of the 80s.

Date: May 13, 2020 18:28

I never did see Dylan live before 1995, unfortunately. But jeez.....that smoked my mind

Posted by: ahgriorr ()
Date: May 21, 2020 17:16

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home