Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Post : Olympic Sound Studios 1969 New Versions (Lossy Source)
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:18

JordyLicks96

That's what I'm saying. Unless somebody is 100% sure they know who that is playing the piano, I'm not convinced this is 1969.

The piano is played by Nicky. The drum sound and playing is not Charlie playing in 1966. It's the Jimmy Miller sound and playing influenced Charlie of 1968/1969.

Goddard supposedly saying they played RT for his film seems to make sense of the sound and playing.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:18

His Majesty
JordyLicks96

Stray Cat Blues is clearly an early instrumental from March 1968. Keith is playing the same guitar that's on the finished track.

No he isn't. He is playing in standard tuning similar to how he played it at Hyde Park.

On Beggars he played the main guitar tuned to open D.

smileys with beer

It's not from 1969 though. It's from the BEGGARS BANQUET SESSIONS in '68.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:20

JordyLicks96

It's not from 1969 though. It's from the BEGGARS BANQUET SESSIONS in '68.

Maybe, but maybe not.

Date: January 4, 2020 23:20

His Majesty
JordyLicks96

That's what I'm saying. Unless somebody is 100% sure they know who that is playing the piano, I'm not convinced this is 1969.

The piano is played by Nicky. The drum sound and playing is not Charlie playing in 1966. It's the Jimmy Miller sound and playing influenced Charlie of 1968/1969.

Goddard supposedly saying they played RT for his film seems to make sense of the sound and playing.

Majesty, you're not reading any of the previous comments. Someone confirmed they have an inside source where they know where all the tracks come from. He says it's Brian Jones on the piano and it's from '66.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:27

Many thanks once again HMN!!!

Date: January 4, 2020 23:36

JordyLicks96

Majesty, you're not reading any of the previous comments. Someone confirmed they have an inside source where they know where all the tracks come from. He says it's Brian Jones on the piano and it's from '66.

Not so.

That post is more like opinion mixed with possible inside source info. That these recordings were unearthed in relation to Crossfire Hurricane makes sense.

The 'inside source' is blatantly wrong IF they actually said it's Brian playing piano. It is Nicky Hopkins playing piano and the drums are not Charlie circa 1966.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-04 23:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: January 5, 2020 06:12

Dorn
here with some sound improvements (channels separeted, individually balanced and equilized etc)

[wetransfer.com]

Thank you too !!!!

Date: January 5, 2020 06:49

His Majesty
JordyLicks96

Not so.

That post is more like opinion mixed with possible inside source info. That these recordings were unearthed in relation to Crossfire Hurricane makes sense.

The 'inside source' is blatantly wrong IF they actually said it's Brian playing piano. It is Nicky Hopkins playing piano and the drums are not Charlie circa 1966.

We'll just agree to disagree again haha

Posted by: SirMuddy ()
Date: January 5, 2020 16:59

Here's what Nico Zentgraf put in his Complete Work Database, scroll down to the bottom of the page, last entrie... [www.nzentgraf.de] I'll take it that way 'till we have more infos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-05 17:02 by SirMuddy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2020 18:41

SirMuddy
Here's what Nico Zentgraf put in his Complete Work Database, scroll down to the bottom of the page, last entrie... [www.nzentgraf.de] I'll take it that way 'till we have more infos.

So will I.

Date: January 6, 2020 02:22

dcba
SirMuddy

So will I.

If Nico has RT being 1968, than 1968 it is. I'd never argue with his site.

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: January 6, 2020 03:53

SirMuddy

I'm getting convinced after hearing the track more careful. It could make sense that it comes from the Rock'n'roll circus rehearsal...

Date: January 6, 2020 11:02

JordyLicks96
I'd never argue with his site.

me neither and he confirmed my "hunch" that the blusier LIV is in fact LIV I dated 1968-05-23.

Date: January 6, 2020 11:25

So you agree with me after all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

JordyLicks96

If Nico has RT being 1968, than 1966 it is. I'd never argue with his site.

Funny, because some entries are as they are in part due to info people like me have put forward. There are still many errors in there though. Still, it's a great source.

The 1968 dating for LIV needs to deal with the possibility it's Ry Cooder on electric guitar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 14:36 by His Majesty.

Date: January 6, 2020 14:25

dcba
JordyLicks96
I'd never argue with his site.

me neither and he confirmed my "hunch" that the blusier LIV is in fact LIV I dated 1968-05-23.

He hasn't.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:10

Huh?

" - Love In Vain I (Robert Johnson) -Olympic Sound Studios, London, May 23,
1968, blusier, with washboard"

Therefore Nico confirms my hunch that this "blusier" arrangement (in fact a straight copy of Robert Johnson's tune) and the totally reworked "LIB album" one are so dissimilar that a respectable amount of time (= several months) has to separate one from the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 15:16 by dcba.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:12

dcba
Huh?

" - Love In Vain I (Robert Johnson) -Olympic Sound Studios, London, May 23,
1968, blusier, with washboard"

Therefore Nico confirms my hunch that this "blusier" arrangement (in fact a straight copy of Robert Johnson's tune) and the totally reworked "LIB album" one are so dissimilar that a respectable amount of time (= several months) has to separate one from the other.

No, he hasn't confirmed when it's from and they changed arrangements often within short time. Sympathy and COTM for example.

Plus you have to consider it is possibly Ry on electric guitar which would make it most likely that it's from spring 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 15:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 6, 2020 18:16

Dorn
here with some sound improvements (channels separeted, individually balanced and equilized etc)

[wetransfer.com]

Thanks Dorn!

Date: January 7, 2020 01:40

Updated Recording Dates from Nico's Database:

Stray Cat Blues (Instrumental) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [March 1968]

Love In Vain (Blusier Version) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [May 23, 1968]

Ruby Tuesday & Sympathy For The Devil (Recordings for Rock And Roll Circus) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [December 8, 1968]

Midnight Rambler (Instrumental) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [February 9 or 10, 1969]

Let It Bleed (Instrumental) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [March 9, 1969]

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Choir Session) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [March 15, 1969]

Sister Morphine (Early Version) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [March 1969]

Country Honk (Instrumental) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [May 1969]

Wild Horses (With Strings and Glass Harmonica) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [Early 1970 and/or October 1970]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 00:16 by JordyLicks96.

Date: January 7, 2020 10:44

JordyLicks96
Updated Recording Dates:

Ruby Tuesday (Rock And Roll Circus Rehearsals) - Intertel Studios, London [December 10, 1968]

Interesting!
And logical. I never bought the story that Godard witnessed a rendition of RT durig the shoot of "1+1". Godard never cared about rock he certainly couldn't tell a stones tune from a Beatles song.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: January 7, 2020 11:13

JordyLicks96
Updated Recording Dates:

Love In Vain (Early Blusier Version) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [May 23, 1968]

Ruby Tuesday & Sympathy For The Devil (Rock And Roll Circus Rehearsals) - Intertel Studios, London [December 10, 1968]

Midnight Rambler (Instrumental) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [February 9 or 10, 1969]

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Choir Session) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [March 15, 1969]

Wild Horses (With Strings and Glass Harmonica) - Florence, Alabama, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios [December 4, 1969]; unknown studio for overdubbed strings [Mid-Late 1970]

Same conclusions as in the Complete Works Database. Did Nico copy from you or did you copy from Nico?

N

Date: January 7, 2020 12:02

JordyLicks96
Updated Recording Dates:

Love In Vain (Early Blusier Version) - Olympic Sound Studios, London [May 23, 1968]

Ruby Tuesday & Sympathy For The Devil (Rock And Roll Circus Rehearsals) - Intertel Studios, London [December 10, 1968]

Lol.

Date: January 7, 2020 12:26

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 12:27 by dcba.

Date: January 7, 2020 12:33

That they are 'rehearsals' for Circus sounds plausible, but not that they were recorded at the circus.

The sound is too full etc and different to actual circus recordings. That full and beautiful Olympic sound.

So, I say recordings done at Olympic for/in preparation for The R&R Circus in early December 1968.

smileys with beer

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 7, 2020 12:54

alexander paul
Sir Muddy

Date: January 2, 2020 19:15

Hi!I've got some more ideas about the recording dates.... (Near HTW sessions make no senses) The Band are in Sunset Sound Studios (Los Angeles), from 17th to 26th in October) working with tapes from Olympic Sound Studios (London) probably from April Sessions. After that (from October 28th to Novert 1st), There is a rehearsal sessions in stephen stills' basement. And just after that (November 2nd - 5th) they are in Warner Bros Studios for tour rehearsals. NICO ZENTGRAF wrote about a Let It Bleed take from those sessions... And I Think that it is the instrumental version we now have in the ABKCO extended copyrights package. I also think that Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Ruby Tuesday, & Midnight Rambler are also from the Warner Bros Tour Rehearsals Sessions. Since all those tapes were probably kept in the same box that was used for the Sunset Sound Studios sessions somewhere in Los Angeles! Somebody finaly opened-up the treasure chest for us! (God Bless Him) So, that's enough thinking for me... I'm back to the music!

This is a possibility. Ruby Tuesday could have been dropped from the setlist as "odd" because you can consider the setlist rather bluesy, the acoustic songs (Prodigal son, Love in vain, You gotta move) were indeed bluestracks.
If these tracks were of a rehearsal in Autumn 1969 Mick Taylor took part, we should hear two guitarists. Is that the case?

My best guess is that Ruby Tuesday was being rehearsed for an acoustic set for the 69 tour but as written above it didn't fit with the bluesy style that they ended up with for that set. I would have much rather had Ruby Tuesday. I'm glad we got this one.

His Majesty

They have the spring 1969 sound and feel. The playing, singing and guitars, piano and drum sounds all fit.

Makes sense to me.

Can't imagine how great a 50th anniversary Let It Bleed could have been. Well, we got great tracks anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-07 13:17 by exilestones.

Date: January 7, 2020 13:02

Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil are most likely from early December 1968.

Love In Vain from spring 1969 with Ry Cooder on electric guitar.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: January 7, 2020 13:15

His Majesty
That they are 'rehearsals' for Circus sounds plausible, but not that they were recorded at the circus.

The sound is too full etc and different to actual circus recordings. That full and beautiful Olympic sound.

So, I say recordings done at Olympic for/in preparation for The R&R Circus in early December 1968.

smileys with beer

Yep, makes sense. Complete Works Database updated:

681208A 8th December: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns. Recording session for Rock And Roll Circus, incl.
- Ruby Tuesday (MJ/KR)
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR)

N

Date: January 7, 2020 23:43

NeddieFlanders
JordyLicks96
Updated Recording Dates:

Wild Horses (With Strings and Glass Harmonica) - Florence, Alabama, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios [December 4, 1969]; unknown studio for overdubbed strings [Mid-Late 1970]

Same conclusions as in the Complete Works Database. Did Nico copy from you or did you copy from Nico?

N

All info of the recording dates I share from Nico's database. smileys with beer

Date: January 7, 2020 23:47

His Majesty

smileys with beer

Yes, definitely agree. I was constantly thinking about RT being from '66, but comparing it with the other recordings now, I was definitely wrong.

smileys with beer

Date: January 8, 2020 01:45

JordyLicks96
Yes, definitely agree. I was constantly thinking about RT being from '66, but comparing it with the other recordings now, I was definitely wrong.

smileys with beer

RT was a curve ball as are some of the others. Nico has made sense of Ruby and Sympathy with that December recording date.

smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home