Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Post : Olympic Sound Studios 1969 New Versions (Lossy Source)
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: January 2, 2020 18:38

For some odd reason none of these links are downloading for me! They say "would you like to download?", I approve and then they don't!

Posted by: SirMuddy ()
Date: January 2, 2020 19:15

Hi!I've got some more ideas about the recording dates.... (Near HTW sessions make no senses) The Band are in Sunset Sound Studios (Los Angeles), from 17th to 26th in October) working with tapes from Olympic Sound Studios (London) probably from April Sessions. After that (from October 28th to Novert 1st), There is a rehearsal sessions in stephen stills' basement. And just after that (November 2nd - 5th) they are in Warner Bros Studios for tour rehearsals. NICO ZENTGRAF wrote about a Let It Bleed take from those sessions... And I Think that it is the instrumental version we now have in the ABKCO extended copyrights package. I also think that Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Ruby Tuesday, & Midnight Rambler are also from the Warner Bros Tour Rehearsals Sessions. Since all those tapes were probably kept in the same box that was used for the Sunset Sound Studios sessions somewhere in Los Angeles! Somebody finaly opened-up the treasure chest for us! (God Bless Him) So, that's enough thinking for me... I'm back to the music! smoking smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: January 2, 2020 19:16

dcba
If you've gotten the huge upgrade of the "surrey Rehearsals" material posted this year you'llknow what I mean

Does anyone have a link to this? I must have missed it...

thanks

syrel

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:42

syrel
dcba
If you've gotten the huge upgrade of the "surrey Rehearsals" material posted this year you'llknow what I mean

thanks

syrel

Ditto. Figured that new boot was just a speed corrected version of the common circulating tape.
J

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:45

Some notes I've taken down about the possible recording dates for some of these tracks:

"Ruby Tuesday" sounds like it's some rehearsal, although it could very well be an early take but I don't believe it's from 1969.

"Sympathy For The Devil" is definitely an early version from June 1968. He's still singing the line, "I shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedy?'"

"Stray Cat Blues" to me sounds like an early instrumental take from March-April 1968.

"Love In Vain" is (Take 6) and from either '68 or '69. NICO'S site lists a version of the song was possibly done in May 1968 with Brian Jones not present. If not, this is from March 1969.

"Country Honk" must be an early take from Spring 1969. It doesn't sound like Keith has the complete acoustic riff down yet from the album version.

"Let It Bleed" I'm not too sure about. It has an acoustic guitar and slide guitar which means it's either a rehearsal with Mick Taylor (which it doesn't sound like) for the '69 tour, an early take with Keith overdubbed on the slide, or maybe even Ry Cooder on the slide.

"Midnight Rambler" is an early instrumental, (Take 18), from Spring 1969.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" is from the choir session on March 15, 1969.

"Wild Horses" must be from late 1970 (although this version still has the earlier vocal take). These are most likely string arrangements by Paul Buckmaster who also arranged the strings on "Sway and "Moonlight Mile."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-03 00:09 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:48

JMARKO
syrel
dcba

thanks

syrel

Ditto. Figured that new boot was just a speed corrected version of the common circulating tape.
J

Much lower generation tape. Shared at dimeadozen earlier this year. Probably somebody uploaded it here too.

Posted by: mtripoli ()
Date: January 2, 2020 22:58

Another Thank You!!!

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: January 3, 2020 10:09

Sir Muddy

Date: January 2, 2020 19:15

Hi!I've got some more ideas about the recording dates.... (Near HTW sessions make no senses) The Band are in Sunset Sound Studios (Los Angeles), from 17th to 26th in October) working with tapes from Olympic Sound Studios (London) probably from April Sessions. After that (from October 28th to Novert 1st), There is a rehearsal sessions in stephen stills' basement. And just after that (November 2nd - 5th) they are in Warner Bros Studios for tour rehearsals. NICO ZENTGRAF wrote about a Let It Bleed take from those sessions... And I Think that it is the instrumental version we now have in the ABKCO extended copyrights package. I also think that Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Ruby Tuesday, & Midnight Rambler are also from the Warner Bros Tour Rehearsals Sessions. Since all those tapes were probably kept in the same box that was used for the Sunset Sound Studios sessions somewhere in Los Angeles! Somebody finaly opened-up the treasure chest for us! (God Bless Him) So, that's enough thinking for me... I'm back to the music!

This is a possibility. Ruby Tuesday could have been dropped from the setlist as "odd" because you can consider the setlist rather bluesy, the acoustic songs (Prodigal son, Love in vain, You gotta move) were indeed bluestracks.
If these tracks were of a rehearsal in Autumn 1969 Mick Taylor took part, we should hear two guitarists. Is that the case?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 3, 2020 10:32

Honestman
BlueRanger thanks to him has shared a YT link in the Tell Me section where one can find some absolute new versions of live tracks and studios tracks. Check 69RSTrax on YT to see them all while available.

Meanwhile, I've downloaded each track from the Studios I could.
I used VideoDownloadCapture to download from YT
Then I convert the tracks using DbPoweramp.

Please note that ABKCO has included a beep into each tracks for some copyrights reasons, but it's quite listenable, maybe a well known Captain can do something.

Here's the list I have so far, maybe there is more...

Listed on YT as April 1969 sessions

01 Ruby Tuesday (Alternate Version)
02 You Got The Silver (Mick Jagger on Lead Vocal)
03 Midnight Rambler (Instrumental)
04 Love In Vain (Alternate Version)
05 Wild Horses (With Strings and Glass Harmonica)
06 Honky Tonk Women (Alternate Lyrics Version)
07 Let It Bleed (Instrumental)
08 Sister Morphine (Early Version)
09 Gimme Shelter (Early Version)
10 Honky Tonk Women (Country Rock Instrumental)
11 Sympathy for the Devil (Olympic Sound Studios April 1969 with Vocals)
12 Stray Cat Blues (Olympic Sound Studios April 1969)
13 You Can't Always Get What You Want (Choir Sessions)
+
14 Gimme Shelter (Keith Richards on Lead Vocal) Link added Wetransfer

Total Size 243 Mo

Link
Wetransfer

Happy New Year !

Thanks for uploading Honest Man. Unfortunately there was still the horrible beeping noise on this version. Did I do something wrong?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 3, 2020 10:33

JordyLicks96
Some notes I've taken down about the possible recording dates for some of these tracks:

"Wild Horses" must be from late 1970 (although this version still has the earlier vocal take). These are most likely string arrangements by Paul Buckmaster who also arranged the strings on "Sway and "Moonlight Mile."

I agree with you except for WH.
Imho it's from late 1969 hence its inclusion in the ABKCO vault. To me this is the very 1st attempt at "fleshing out" i.e. overdubbing and giving some grandeur to the raw naked version(s) taped at Muscle shoals early Dec.69.
Therefore, on N.zentgraf's site it would be part of "691209A".

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 3, 2020 13:45

Silver Dagger
Thanks for uploading Honest Man. Unfortunately there was still the horrible beeping noise on this version. Did I do something wrong?

Hi SD, no, when I first uploaded it, I did it in a hurry and my upload was with the beep all over. Then Blakeeik did another upload without the beep

here his link
filefactory

winking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-03 13:46 by Honestman.

Posted by: finn ()
Date: January 3, 2020 14:19

Thanks, I pre for the version whit out the tone

Date: January 3, 2020 15:12

SirMuddy
I also think that Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Ruby Tuesday, & Midnight Rambler are also from the Warner Bros Tour Rehearsals Sessions.

Huh... then why did they rehearse it under its fast/BB arrangement while they were going to play it in a slow new arrangement?

Date: January 3, 2020 15:53

dcba
SirMuddy
I also think that Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues, Ruby Tuesday, & Midnight Rambler are also from the Warner Bros Tour Rehearsals Sessions.

Huh... then why did they rehearse it under its fast/BB arrangement while they were going to play it in a slow new arrangement?

Most of these tracks have audible talk back from the studio engineer you can hear at the beginning or end of the track. Some include take numbers like Love In Vain which is take 6 from the day they were doing it. Also, you hear them say “let’s hear that back” or something similar. All indications that these are studio takes, not soundstage tour rehearsals.

Date: January 3, 2020 17:05

JMARKO
All indications that these are studio takes, not soundstage tour rehearsals.

I concur. And I doubt a tour rehearsal tape would sound that good. At best what we'd get is a rough-sounding Nagra-like recording with an "on the spot" mix. And would ABKCO bother to collect these while the real gold lies in the studio sessions.

Posted by: SirMuddy ()
Date: January 3, 2020 18:30

I was re-reading my post this morning. And I was happy to see your answers to it. Rehearsals can sound good... They played older song than Ruby Tuesday in the '69 set (I'm free & Under My Thumb).But what really bugging me are the numbers at the start of Ruby & Midnight (it really sound like studo work, so why?).... But if there's some rehearsals in it, maybe it was for the Hyde Park Show (Sympathy sound a lot like the Hyde Park Version)... I'm still full of questions, but that's the fun of life! Thanks everybody for lightning my thoughts on it! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-03 18:31 by SirMuddy.

Posted by: funkydrummer ()
Date: January 3, 2020 18:42

Thanks so much for the uploads folks...I knew you guys would be on it.

Posted by: LFSDoc ()
Date: January 3, 2020 19:02

thanks for the upload. The fact that these are recordings from Olympic studios does not rule out the possibility of a rehearsal: IIRC the rehearsals for the Royal Albert Hall concerts made by the Jimi Hendrix Experience in february 1969 were taped...
Doc

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: January 3, 2020 20:23

I have to wonder if the actual tape boxes literally got mixed up and jumbled together, as the band worked on things, and moved from place to place, over the many many years. It's so baffling. Back on the Exile deluxe set, "Title 9" was clearly not Exile-related, it was much earlier track, and now "Gimme Shelter" with what's pretty clearly Ron Wood on guitar, shows up somehow on Let It Bleed outtakes. What a mess. I'm really scratching my head trying to figure this stuff out.

Date: January 3, 2020 22:22

TurningToGold2
I have to wonder if the actual tape boxes literally got mixed up and jumbled together, as the band worked on things, and moved from place to place, over the many many years. It's so baffling. Back on the Exile deluxe set, "Title 9" was clearly not Exile-related, it was much earlier track, and now "Gimme Shelter" with what's pretty clearly Ron Wood on guitar, shows up somehow on Let It Bleed outtakes. What a mess. I'm really scratching my head trying to figure this stuff out.

The fact that some of the audience bootlegs had CD track numbers should tell you a lot.

Date: January 3, 2020 23:46

Having only listened to that version of Ruby Tuesday a couple of times - why can't it be a 1966 outtake? I have read here that some said, "well it is Nicky Hopkins" so it can't be 1966...
Is it Nicky Hopkins? Could be - but it is not definitive...Why can't it be Jack Nitzsche? I have been listening to the YCAGWYW session - and Nitzsche's piano there is not entirely dissimilar.
There is no way this is from 1969. I say late 1966 RCA sessions which has been misfiled - just like how a Satanic Majesties outtake ended up on Exile Deluxe - etc etc - as we know the Stones archive is in a sorry state.

But anyway, I want to know what conclusive evidence says that RT is not from 1966. I remain to be convinced.

Date: January 4, 2020 00:09

AXL79 has posted links to a few of the studio tracks over on the Tell Me side.

Complete removal of the tone. WAV files via Mega.

Superior to the ones on this side, but, alas, only 4 tracks currently.

J

Date: January 4, 2020 02:29

funkydrummer
Having only listened to that version of Ruby Tuesday a couple of times - why can't it be a 1966 outtake? I have read here that some said, "well it is Nicky Hopkins" so it can't be 1966...
Is it Nicky Hopkins? Could be - but it is not definitive...Why can't it be Jack Nitzsche? I have been listening to the YCAGWYW session - and Nitzsche's piano there is not entirely dissimilar.
There is no way this is from 1969. I say late 1966 RCA sessions which has been misfiled - just like how a Satanic Majesties outtake ended up on Exile Deluxe - etc etc - as we know the Stones archive is in a sorry state.

But anyway, I want to know what conclusive evidence says that RT is not from 1966. I remain to be convinced.

That's what I'm saying. Unless somebody is 100% sure they know who that is playing the piano, I'm not convinced this is 1969.

Date: January 4, 2020 07:13

dcba
His Majesty
JordyLicks96
Surely Ruby Tuesday, Stray Cat Blues and Sympathy are not from 1969. These all sound like early versions from their corresponding album sessions.

They have the spring 1969 sound and feel. The playing, singing and guitars, piano and drum sounds all fit.

Really? To me "Stray Cat Blues" does have an "early 1968" feel. If you've gotten the huge upgrade of the "surrey Rehearsals" material posted this year you'llknow what I mean : same raw sound same dirty vibe.
same for RT : Jagger has a juvenile voice here that would place the track late 1966. That voice isn't the one of someone who sings "Monkey Man" = it's not from 69 (imo).

Why would they be recording those songs in 1969 Majesty??

Stray Cat Blues is clearly an early instrumental from March 1968. Keith is playing the same guitar that's on the finished track.

At the end of Sympathy, you can hear Jimmy Miller say, "that was very good," with Mick replying, "was it?" Showing that they had done a good take of the song and it was a work in progress. That's clearly from June 1968.

Ruby Tuesday is a mystery to me but I don't believe for one second it's from 1969. Just because the ABKCO YouTube post says 1969 does not mean it actually came from 1969. I mean hell, they posted what they claimed to be an early version of Gimme Shelter but it's from frickin' 1978!!!!!!!!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: January 4, 2020 08:16

Wow! Thanks for all!!!

Date: January 4, 2020 09:43

JordyLicks96
dcba
His Majesty
JordyLicks96
Surely Ruby Tuesday, Stray Cat Blues and Sympathy are not from 1969. These all sound like early versions from their corresponding album sessions.

They have the spring 1969 sound and feel. The playing, singing and guitars, piano and drum sounds all fit.

Really? To me "Stray Cat Blues" does have an "early 1968" feel. If you've gotten the huge upgrade of the "surrey Rehearsals" material posted this year you'llknow what I mean : same raw sound same dirty vibe.
same for RT : Jagger has a juvenile voice here that would place the track late 1966. That voice isn't the one of someone who sings "Monkey Man" = it's not from 69 (imo).

Why would they be recording those songs in 1969 Majesty??

Stray Cat Blues is clearly an early instrumental from March 1968. Keith is playing the same guitar that's on the finished track.

At the end of Sympathy, you can hear Jimmy Miller say, "that was very good," with Mick replying, "was it?" Showing that they had done a good take of the song and it was a work in progress. That's clearly from June 1968.

Ruby Tuesday is a mystery to me but I don't believe for one second it's from 1969. Just because the ABKCO YouTube post says 1969 does not mean it actually came from 1969. I mean hell, they posted what they claimed to be an early version of Gimme Shelter but it's from frickin' 1978!!!!!!!!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Totally. Sympathy is indeed June 1968. I have watched One Plus One enough times to know the sound of every instrument in those sessions - percussion like that can't be replicated so exactly - that's Rocky on congas etc etc

Posted by: peipin ()
Date: January 4, 2020 13:53

Fantastique!!! Merci Honest

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: January 4, 2020 18:53

here with some sound improvements (channels separeted, individually balanced and equilized etc)

[wetransfer.com]

Date: January 4, 2020 19:29

This is a repost from "thkbeercan" on the other thread clarifying everything about these songs:

"Much has been made, both in the press and in this forum, about the December 31 YouTube posting by ABKCO of dozens of Stones recordings, all listed as being from 1969. The purpose of this was to secure copyright in the EU and prevent these from falling into the public domain.

As most readers of this website will already know, this ABKCO posting was a bit of a hodge-podge/mish-mash of mostly bootleg audience recordings of some (but not all) of the Stones 1969 American tour concerts. These bootlegs have been available for decades and offer nothing new to the serious Stones collector. The real gems in this group of concert recordings, however, were soundboard/monitor mixes of the Madison Square Garden shows: the complete show from November 27, 3 opening numbers from the first show of November 28th and all but one track from the second performance on the same day. Although some of this material is available on the expanded version of "Get Yer Yas-Yas Out" and the deluxe video of "Gimme Shelter", these soundboards have never been bootlegged and are something close to the Holy Grail for Stones fans. Audience recordings of these show exist and have been around for years, but nothing like this in both quality and completeness.

Unreleased live recordings are always a treat. But the real payload in this brief burst of copyright control releases are the 2 dozen studio recordings in this YouTube posting.

Again, it's a bit of a hodge-podge. Half of the YouTube studio recordings have been readily available for years on bootlegs. The other half, however, have never seen the light of day.

Angry Stones fans have bemoaned the fact that ABKCO has been sitting on these tracks and questioned why these remarkable recordings were kept hidden in ABKCO vaults for so many years.

The answer is that these dozen or so studio tracks were never in the ABKCO vaults. These tracks come from the Rolling Stones own library of unreleased recordings. The Stones opened their own vaults to the producers of the film "Crossfire Hurricane" a number of years ago to select unreleased musical material for use in the film's soundtrack, especially instrumental tracks over which the Stones could be interviewed off screen. Some of the selections were used in the film. Others were not. These are the ones that were not.

This is why so many of the selections have no vocals-the vocal tracks for these versions were either never recorded or were removed for possible inclusion in the film. Also included in this group are some obviously different arrangements of familiar songs that DO have vocals ("Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", "Love In Vain", "Sister Morphine" and SFTD). These, too, were on a short list for inclusion in "Crossfire Hurricane" but never made the cut.

The unreleased material that WAS used in the film, of course, is legally under copyright control by ABKCO and this is noted, naturally, in the film credits. And it's possible that these YouTube selections were also sent over to ABKCO before the final cut of the film was readied for released, just in case they were to have been used.

However, it's also possible that this isn't the case and that someone involved with the evaluation process made a copy of these rare recordings for themselves and somehow ABKCO got hold of it.

Here's a breakdown of those new, previously unavailable tracks:

1966: Ruby Tuesday-a complete, early attempt at the song with Brian Jones on piano. (He also played piano, and recorder, in the final version.) I cry everytime I hear this.

1968: SFTD-from the Rock and Roll Circus, one of the early takes, not used in the video.
Stray Cat Blues-instrumental from Beggar's Banquet sessions

1969: Midnight Rambler-instrumental, short but complete take.
Love In Vain-one of the earliest attempts at the song, similar to the Robert Johnson arrangement
Honky Tonk Women-early instrumental version, similar in style to County Honk, but a more rocking arrangement
Sister Morphine-the same early version found on many bootlegs, but this is the complete take, 90 seconds longer
Let It Bleed-early instrumental version
YCAGWYW-22 minutes of the London Bach Choir working on their vocals...lots of giggling and no complete performance of the song...interesting to listen to...once.

1970: Wild Horses-the acoustic Muscle Shoals take from December 1969 but with strings added sometime in 1970.

Among this group of non-concert recordings is a 1978 version of Gimme Shelter from that year's tour rehearsals, widely bootlegged. Why has ABKCO included this, calling it an early 1969 version? Why are recordings form 1966, 1968 and 1970 identified as being from 1969? How did ABKCO actually obtain these recordings?

These are questions for lawyers to debate. It's none of my business, nor do I care.

I will not comment further on my above statements nor answer questions about how I came into this knowledge-I don't want to get anyone in trouble."

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2020 23:08

JordyLicks96

No he isn't. He is playing in standard tuning similar to how he played it at Hyde Park.

On Beggars he played the main guitar tuned to open D.

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home