Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

rsKinno on to the great American gentleman diepyknows
Posted by: rskinno ()
Date: August 10, 2019 02:14

Hi daspyknows

You may be a big taper.
I come from the holidays and must learn
that you all the Stones fans in Europe in the ass
and they promised another good reception like Philadelphia
to have. I'm not glaring you.
Who owns a 25000 Dolar Mixbox must be able to offer a good job
which I did not see in their last offer.

rsKinno

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-10 02:25 by rskinno.

Re: rsKinno on to the great American gentleman diepyknows
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:26

Why do you insist on doing butcher remaster jobs on every recording Stones recording? On top of that you share it without noting you have stepped on the recording. Ed got a copy of it and he was not pleased. You need to realize multiple tapers have not released recordings from a number of shows because they do not want their recordings stepped on.

Don't blame me if I do not want my recordings sold, remaster or posted on sites that charge money. If I can't trust people to do that and I am given a hard time by a few fools on this site the only way to prevent it is to not post it publicly.

oh and its daspyknows not diepyknows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-10 07:59 by daspyknows.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 10, 2019 16:17

rskinno, things were quiet while you were on holiday. And I'm coming out publicly to say that if you don't stop this infantile baiting straight away I'll have Bjorn do it for you. We're all over the internecine battle that took place last week. Nobody is interested in dredging it back up. Let's just get on with things.

And besides, there's shi te going on outside our world that deserves interest. And besides that, this is the 2019 tour, not the 1972 one. The boys will be here in Seattle on the 14th. I couldn't care, really, although I know they'll be great. Maybe it's me, but having seen them up front in 1975 and then again at the first Seattle show in 1981, I've seen them. Been there, done that, got the tshirts.
smileys with beer

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: August 10, 2019 16:46

While I hope we can resolve this little family spat, maybe I can offer a little perspective.

It's tough recording the shows. I've taped a few shows in my day and you have to worry about getting your gear in. You have to find a spot that gets good sound, not too many rowdy fans and manage not to get caught.The net result is this: chances are you don't get to enjoy the show very much while trying to focus on getting a good recording.

On the two shows I've seen this year, I recorded 4 songs with my phone. I was concerned that these might be my last shows, ever, and I wanted to savor every minute.

So, I can relate to the tapers and I think we should respect their request that their recordings don't get stepped on and redistributed for public use. If you're wanting to remix it for your own use? I would be fine with that.
If one feels the need to remix and share a show? Maybe ask the taper if he's okay with it and send a sample to him/her and get their blessing. If they ask you not to share it publicly? Respect their wishes.I seem to recall that we got permission from taper and gave them proper credit when posting.

Those of us who download the shows have a voracious appetite for them. When we get a show on FileFactory, the first requests are for a wetransfer link or my pet peeve: "any artwork?" before saying thank you!
It may take longer to download over FF but you'll get the show. I've invested in FF at $49.00 a year and I will repost WT links for requests

So, I think the tapers are feeling taken advantage of and unappreciated. I can understand why.

To the tapers? I hope you can see fit to continue to share your recordings with us after we try to work this out.I'll be your advocates in not altering your recording and saying thanks.

I received a soundboard tape from a 1990 show. It was in Madrid where the Stones performed Blinded By Love, the ONLY time it's been performed.
I shared CDR's with a few people, but it was impressed upon me that this show needed to be shared. I got permission from the person who gave the tape to me and it made its way to VGP. We then got Blinded By Love For Gypsy Kings. My payment? 75 copies which I gave away to people in the SFJ circle.

I tell this story to try to get the tapers to share their recordings with us. I could have sat on my tape but I'm happy everyone is able to hear that show. I was at Burl's Creek and Foxboro. I hope there are good recordings out there that make their way here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-10 19:24 by dennycranium.

Posted by: hj3009 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 20:40

dennycranium
While I hope we can resolve this little family spat, maybe I can offer a little perspective.

It's tough recording the shows. I've taped a few shows in my day and you have to worry about getting your gear in. You have to find a spot that gets good sound, not too many rowdy fans and manage not to get caught.The net result is this: chances are you don't get to enjoy the show very much while trying to focus on getting a good recording.

On the two shows I've seen this year, I recorded 4 songs with my phone. I was concerned that these might be my last shows, ever, and I wanted to savor every minute.

So, I can relate to the tapers and I think we should respect their request that their recordings don't get stepped on and redistributed for public use. If you're wanting to remix it for your own use? I would be fine with that.
If one feels the need to remix and share a show? Maybe ask the taper if he's okay with it and send a sample to him/her and get their blessing. If they ask you not to share it publicly? Respect their wishes.I seem to recall that we got permission from taper and gave them proper credit when posting.

Those of us who download the shows have a voracious appetite for them. When we get a show on FileFactory, the first requests are for a wetransfer link or my pet peeve: "any artwork?" before saying thank you!
It may take longer to download over FF but you'll get the show. I've invested in FF at $49.00 a year and I will repost WT links for requests

So, I think the tapers are feeling taken advantage of and unappreciated. I can understand why.

To the tapers? I hope you can see fit to continue to share your recordings with us after we try to work this out.I'll be your advocates in not altering your recording and saying thanks.

I received a soundboard tape from a 1990 show. It was in Madrid where the Stones performed Blinded By Love, the ONLY time it's been performed.
I shared CDR's with a few people, but it was impressed upon me that this show needed to be shared. I got permission from the person who gave the tape to me and it made its way to VGP. We then got Blinded By Love For Gypsy Kings. My payment? 75 copies which I gave away to people in the SFJ circle.

I tell this story to try to get the tapers to share their recordings with us. I could have sat on my tape but I'm happy everyone is able to hear that show. I was at Burl's Creek and Foxboro. I hope there are good recordings out there that make their way here.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:27

i may sound ridiculous but when it comes to sharing recordings, i suppose that afterwards it is no more your property. you gave it to people once, so you can't take it away any more, just as a matter of nature of sharing digital files. yes, the respect to tapers is a very good thing, but believe me, people is always people, as Keef said,, and furthermore,, as mr. Jesus said, it's better to give than take, always... isn't this board created for anything more than just to give ?? so when you make a gift to somebody on this board (= everyone), i suppose that it's not yours anymore as long as you uploaded it for public use, or private, whatever....this is just the matter of give and take. The taper's request is a good will that should be fulfilled and respected, of course, but when it comes to terms of people's relationships, then.... etc... and, as Mr. Teddy Boy says, don't regret anything that you gave away, it would return to you eventually and in multiple times more. so,,, you may call me "son of a preacher man" anytime you want tosmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:37

my post may seems strange as it seems that Western world has a certain respect for a spoken word agreement, or whatever it is in English.... but one can't trust everyone else, i mean everybody, that is called Human factor... and ask it from everyone here on iorr, although i dont mean i am going to remaster every boot here and release on my silver label, LOL.... just looks strange when you give an apple to someone and ask him not to make an apple jam, only to eat as it isspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 19:43 by NathanLaze.

Posted by: 1fatum ()
Date: August 11, 2019 20:28

thumbs up

Date: August 11, 2019 20:55

NathanLaze
i may sound ridiculous but when it comes to sharing recordings, i suppose that afterwards it is no more your property. you gave it to people once, so you can't take it away any more, just as a matter of nature of sharing digital files. yes, the respect to tapers is a very good thing, but believe me, people is always people, as Keef said,, and furthermore,, as mr. Jesus said, it's better to give than take, always... isn't this board created for anything more than just to give ?? so when you make a gift to somebody on this board (= everyone), i suppose that it's not yours anymore as long as you uploaded it for public use, or private, whatever....this is just the matter of give and take. The taper's request is a good will that should be fulfilled and respected, of course, but when it comes to terms of people's relationships, then.... etc... and, as Mr. Teddy Boy says, don't regret anything that you gave away, it would return to you eventually and in multiple times more. so,,, you may call me "son of a preacher man" anytime you want tosmiling bouncing smiley

I can see why people would feel that way as you do. These recordings take work and they kind of become your baby.
Imagine sending your kids to school and they come home with a different haircut and new clothes because the teacher decided they felt like it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2019 21:33

NathanLaze
just looks strange when you give an apple to someone and ask him not to make an apple jam, only to eat as it is

If the apple jam tastes awfully artificial and overprocessed maybe he should just stop and leave the apples alone? winking smiley

Date: August 11, 2019 22:03

NathanLaze

I just need to make the point I record many bands, both big and small and there is only one band where this remastering nonsense happens. I share ALL my recordings and many people have gotten them (including the shows in question) but telling tapers (not just me) that we need to release these shows and should not be bothered that someone chooses to ruin the recordings does not make us want to release then. Most of the tapers I know feel the same way about this topic. I receive NO benefits from sharing recordings besides the good feeling of doing so. Seeing a show I worked hard to record remastered takes away that good feeling so I get nothing out of it besides a headache.

Remember this discussion started before Philly when people on here were wondering why many of the good recordings weren't being shared after Chicago. One person insinuated it was because tapers were holding out to sell their recordings for profits which is at it's core insulting. I made it clear that was not the case but it was the poorly done remasters which was making tapers share privately. Maybe if a few of the people involved bought gear, put in the effort to record and share their recordings they would get a better perspective rather than just sitting at their keyboard. Check the thread, one person said he poorly recorded part of a show once and "binned it" because it sucked.

Using the excuse the shows are too far away doesn't carry any weight as I have gotten on planes to record and met many from other countries traveling to attend these shows. If there are shows in 2020 on planet earth I will be there with my gear.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 12, 2019 00:00

daspyknows

I just need to make the point I record many bands, both big and small and there is only one band where this remastering nonsense happens. I share ALL my recordings and many people have gotten them (including the shows in question) but telling tapers (not just me) that we need to release these shows and should not be bothered that someone chooses to ruin the recordings does not make us want to release then. Most of the tapers I know feel the same way about this topic. I receive NO benefits from sharing recordings besides the good feeling of doing so. Seeing a show I worked hard to record remastered takes away that good feeling so I get nothing out of it besides a headache.

Remember this discussion started before Philly when people on here were wondering why many of the good recordings weren't being shared after Chicago. One person insinuated it was because tapers were holding out to sell their recordings for profits which is at it's core insulting. I made it clear that was not the case but it was the poorly done remasters which was making tapers share privately. Maybe if a few of the people involved bought gear, put in the effort to record and share their recordings they would get a better perspective rather than just sitting at their keyboard. Check the thread, one person said he poorly recorded part of a show once and "binned it" because it sucked.

Using the excuse the shows are too far away doesn't carry any weight as I have gotten on planes to record and met many from other countries traveling to attend these shows. If there are shows in 2020 on planet earth I will be there with my gear.

I may have to comment, because I was the one who was surprised about the lack of recordings after Chicago.
But I know your recordings and I know that they always will be released pretty fast after the shows and because of that, I wasnt talking about people like you. But you, Ed, some others, as well as CL or myself in Europe can't cover the whole tour and I was hoping that some people may have been motivated by my call to upload their stuff. Indeed I got response from 2 people and was thankful for that.
Our (midimannz and myself) problem is, that we have to cover the whole tour by creating multicams of each show, except for maybe very few shows that are done by others. Of course this means collecting stuff and then the real work starts in creating the multicams, spending weeks for each single show. I will be busy until late autumn working on these shows and I´m glad if I know in time, what raw material I have to work with. And therefore, I asked for missing recordings pretty early, as long as everyone is in tour mode and also excited. And after 4 shows in a row without audio recording I started to worry what happened to the community. The days of the old trading communities are gone and even my various trading sources havent been in touch with any of the old tapers.

Just wanted to make this point clear in case there was some misunderstanding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-12 00:01 by falo01.

Date: August 12, 2019 00:07

BTW, the argument that tapers were holding out to sell their recordings for profits is indeed bullshit (beside the fact that it's insulting too).
Watching the CD scene the last years, it´s mostly the other way round:

Once something is shared here for free, it usually takes the labels 1 week to announce their CD release. They are stealing from here.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: August 12, 2019 01:19

RSkenno,
A lot of tapers already have their recordings remastered the way they like it.
The least you could do is get the tapers name right on this thread.
If you can't even edit his name right, I don't have a lot of faith your remasters
Will be done right.

Date: August 12, 2019 03:06

falo01
BTW, the argument that tapers were holding out to sell their recordings for profits is indeed bullshit (beside the fact that it's insulting too).

Once something is shared here for free, it usually takes the labels 1 week to announce their CD release. They are stealing from here.

Its Dime. They steal my stuff all the time off of there.

Date: August 12, 2019 08:12

daspyknows
falo01

Dime too of course. Yes.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 12, 2019 09:25

To add to the bravado, VGP, when initially presented with my cassette copy of Winterland 6th June 1972 early show, turned their collective noses up at it.

They certainly have done a big ol' volte-face with it, ee-q-ing this, and tweaking that. That 'remaster' more than likely, took all of 7 seconds to press those two buttons and adjust that one lever!

So whilst they said they did't like the sound, VGP-338 was born. And made them a helluva lot of dosh.

I rec'd a copy of the release gratis. I was...

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 12, 2019 10:59

daspyknows
I receive NO benefits from sharing recordings besides the good feeling of doing so. Seeing a show I worked hard to record remastered takes away that good feeling so I get nothing out of it besides a headache.

That's it. Everything is said. Thank you very much to you and to everybody sharing recordings. Music is made for sharing, not to flatter egos.

This "remastering" trend somehow reminds me of the label Sister Morphine. Once they announced a "soundboard" of the London 99 show. Crystal Cat had released the infamous excellent audience tape. I suspected SM would start from that and do whatever "remastering" with it. No soundboard tape of course.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: August 12, 2019 13:03

I think people on both sides of the remaster argument need to ask themselves some questions sometimes.

As a remasterer we need to ask:
    [*] why am i doing this?
    [*] is there something that needs correcting or could be improved?
    [*] can i correct/improve it or am i just trying to make it sound more to my taste?
To my mind, the whole point of remastering is to correct/improve. It's like adding salt, if you like more salt then you can add more, but you can't take it out once someone else has added it. The aim should be to try to make the recording 'right', not just to add more bass because you like more bass.

I think tapers need to ask:
    [*] have i prepared this - mastered it - ready for release?
    [*] if not, then am i inviting people to do it for me?
Some tapers get annoyed at pointless remasters because what they put out was already well mastered and perfectly good. You have to have sympathy for those tapers.
Others though, put out recordings that they should be ashamed of, one channel twice as high as the other, very poorly balance eq, etc. If you are going to release stuff like that then maybe you only have yourself to blame if someone takes it upon themselves to master it for you.

It's an old argument that will no doubt carry on getting older.

One thing is for certain, if you don't want your work to be stolen and used against your wishes, then don't release it. Because once you let it out into the wild, it's gone, you have no control over it any more.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Posted by: ade ()
Date: August 12, 2019 13:55

daspyknows
falo01

and then there's all the people who download stuff off dime just to re-up on guitars101 using rapidgator, turbobit, filefactory and other hosts that will pay them a couple of cents per 1000 downloads back.

Date: August 12, 2019 17:06

JimmyShelter
Some tapers get annoyed at pointless remasters because what they put out was already well mastered and perfectly good. You have to have sympathy for those tapers.
Others though, put out recordings that they should be ashamed of, one channel twice as high as the other, very poorly balance eq, etc. If you are going to release stuff like that then maybe you only have yourself to blame if someone takes it upon themselves to master it for you.

One thing is for certain, if you don't want your work to be stolen and used against your wishes, then don't release it. Because once you let it out into the wild, it's gone, you have no control over it any more.

No argument with any of this logic and in the rare cases this occurs, reach out to the taper and in many if not most cases there would be agreement but with Stones recordings this is never done. There is a big difference between a phone/periscope recording and a recording made with hi-end gear.

ade
daspyknows
falo01

and then there's all the people who download stuff off dime just to re-up on guitars101 using rapidgator, turbobit, filefactory and other hosts that will pay them a couple of cents per 1000 downloads back.

Anybody who looks at my info file refers to this. I host all of my recordings in a cloud storage account I pay for and make no money off of will links for others to download. Seeing people uploading on sites like these to make a few bucks is annoying. I received a justification for guitars101, filefactory as it pertains to StonesVault but it didn't hold water to me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 12, 2019 20:23

JimmyShelter
I think people on both sides of the remaster argument need to ask themselves some questions sometimes.

[*] why am i doing this?
    [*] can i correct/improve it or am i just trying to make it sound more to my taste?
To my mind, the whole point of remastering is to correct/improve. It's like adding salt, if you like more salt then you can add more, but you can't take it out once someone else has added it. The aim should be to try to make the recording 'right', not just to add more bass because you like more bass.

Logic is so beautiful when it's loud and clear

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 12, 2019 20:34

Munichhilton
JimmyShelter

[*] why am i doing this?

thumbs up

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: August 12, 2019 21:11

Quique-stone
Munichhilton
JimmyShelter

[*] why am i doing this?

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: August 12, 2019 22:08

Well I come to this debate from the remastering side, but it is never a bad thing to appreciate the view of 'the other side', you might learn something.

I once had an argument, that became a discussion, that became a conversation about all of this with Lostbrook (who's work is always properly mastered by CQ), we became friends in the end.
Not only did I gain a friend, but I also came to have a better understanding and appreciation of his perspective. It made me rethink things and I came to think of it as I do now. I realised that I had started to remaster other peoples work, not because it needed it, but 'because it was there'.
I found myself doing less remasters after that, but I also found myself being more satisfied with what I was doing, because it was actually 'achieving' something. It also meant that I had more time to do what I was doing, rather than trying to get on with the next one.

Some of us don't have the opportunities to go out taping bands. Some of us are clearly not very adept with software or EQing. A bit more thought and a spirit of cooperation could do us all a lot of good.

[logic and wisdom, don't say I never give you anything drinking smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-12 22:21 by JimmyShelter.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 13, 2019 00:16

JimmyShelter
Well I come to this debate from the remastering side, but it is never a bad thing to appreciate the view of 'the other side', you might learn something.

I once had an argument, that became a discussion, that became a conversation about all of this with Lostbrook (who's work is always properly mastered by CQ), we became friends in the end.
Not only did I gain a friend, but I also came to have a better understanding and appreciation of his perspective. It made me rethink things and I came to think of it as I do now. I realised that I had started to remaster other peoples work, not because it needed it, but 'because it was there'.
I found myself doing less remasters after that, but I also found myself being more satisfied with what I was doing, because it was actually 'achieving' something. It also meant that I had more time to do what I was doing, rather than trying to get on with the next one.

Some of us don't have the opportunities to go out taping bands. Some of us are clearly not very adept with software or EQing. A bit more thought and a spirit of cooperation could do us all a lot of good.

...and again thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: eibert ()
Date: August 13, 2019 11:41

JimmyShelter

Beautiful spoken, I hope it will work out.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 14, 2019 20:53

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-15 09:52 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 14, 2019 21:38

eibert
JimmyShelter

Beautiful spoken, I hope it will work out.

As do I. Well said.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2019 01:21

Erik_Snow
-

Completely agree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home