Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Good News: New CD HONK
Posted by: Stoney1962 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 13:51

watch here:

Wild Horses London

and here:

facebook

Pleased to meet you

Stones keep on Rolling on Facebook
[www.facebook.com]

The Rolling Stones World on Pinterest
[www.pinterest.de]

Re: Good News: New CD HONK
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:51

Am I the only one who suspects that the bonus live CD is as indifferently put together as No Security was? The fact that there's been no live release representing a complete show in decades (outside of Eagle Rock's, which are extra-canonical) is telling. The mix on Wild Horses is not promising, either.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 15, 2019 20:41

andrews27
Am I the only one who suspects that the bonus live CD is as indifferently put together as No Security was? The fact that there's been no live release representing a complete show in decades (outside of Eagle Rock's, which are extra-canonical) is telling. The mix on Wild Horses is not promising, either.
In recent years we got Havana Moon and Sticky Fingers Live, both complete shows. Why shouldn't those be proper live albums only because they were released on Eagle Rock?

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 15, 2019 21:01

Good News ? Still I guess any release by the Stones is good news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 09:06 by Tonstone.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 16, 2019 13:13

Good news?!?! give me something you're on!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 16, 2019 17:39

good news?? its @#$%& crap and shite.
Very sad.
jeroen

Posted by: hulloder ()
Date: March 16, 2019 19:54

thumbs down

Date: March 16, 2019 21:21

StonedRambler
andrews27
In recent years we got Havana Moon and Sticky Fingers Live, both complete shows. Why shouldn't those be proper live albums only because they were released on Eagle Rock?

Not on Virgin-RSR or Universal-RSR.

Posted by: legin ()
Date: March 17, 2019 18:48

Not another one!!?....Pointlessthumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-17 18:49 by legin.

Date: March 17, 2019 20:07

andrews27
StonedRambler
andrews27

Still don't see your point why this shouldn't make them proper live albums. Havana Moon is a live album just like Live Licks is. Just that Universal releases them under their sub-label Eagle rock now

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 22:33

Let's try to put the point of this new album in perspective by working out the relevance of the title to the track list. It looks pretty diverse to me, can't think of a common theme so far or how "Honk" covers the field. Any suggestions?

Date: March 17, 2019 23:48

StonedRambler
andrews27
StonedRambler
andrews27

Still don't see your point why this shouldn't make them proper live albums. Havana Moon is a live album just like Live Licks is. Just that Universal releases them under their sub-label Eagle rock now

Is there any band involvement with the live releases at all? Not since Love You Live, correct?

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 18, 2019 02:26

Probably Flashpoint because Mick commented on MTV about having over 100 shows to choose songs from.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 18, 2019 05:47

It's non news. Anybody can make their own playlist, made up of better mixed, or differently mixed, versions of these same songs. Why this is being released is beyond me. Do they owe the record company a release? It's futile to release an album in 2019 when it's just gonna be torrented within minutes.

In 1972, when Hot Rocks was released, it was a big deal. Many people bought it, a double LP set. I don't know what the eventual sales figures were, but with the 1972 American tour, ABKCO clean the eff up. Made in the Shade is a brilliant collection. The shite compilations they put out after that, including Stripped [wh. I considered to be beneath contempt I made it through not even the third song], is simply that: shite.

Date: March 18, 2019 06:17

stonesman87
Let's try to put the point of this new album in perspective by working out the relevance of the title to the track list. It looks pretty diverse to me, can't think of a common theme so far or how "Honk" covers the field. Any suggestions?

A prevalent theme I see so far is that this release doesn't appear to be viewed favourably. We could all (probably including everybody involved with this release) benefit from additional constructive comment. So far, it's difficult to see how sentiment will pick up from "unfavourable".

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 18, 2019 09:15

A stand alone release of Disc 3 would be favorable.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 18, 2019 10:55

I look forward to Dancing With Mr D and Get Off of My Cloud from Cardiff - as I was there and it was brilliant fun ............

Date: March 18, 2019 12:46

stonesman87
stonesman87

A prevalent theme I see so far is that this release doesn't appear to be viewed favourably. We could all (probably including everybody involved with this release) benefit from additional constructive comment. So far, it's difficult to see how sentiment will pick up from "unfavourable".

The album is being released in a capitalist society, for remuneration. It's perfectly all right to offer an opinion of something if it's being released for profit. And unlike some Rolling Stones fans, I am critical of some of their output. The output I'm not critical of is beyond praise. But when a career has spanned the length of time theirs has, it's nothing short of rubber stamping and arse kissing. If that's your lookout, lad, don't expect everybody to fall in line. As in all down the... lol.

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: March 18, 2019 12:54

Do you know the song "Materia-Das Geld muss weg"?.
buy HONK. I have
>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 17:42 by Broesel2404.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 18, 2019 14:36

HEILOOBAAS
including Stripped [wh. I considered to be beneath contempt I made it through not even the third song], is simply that: shite.[/b]

How you can criticise something so severely that you haven't even listened to it is beyond me. Maybe you are a professional music journalist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 16:12 by Captain Teague.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 18, 2019 15:54

It will be available on my streaming service, Tidal. I'll save the live album for offline play.
I'll probably buy it on CD but won't even give FortyLicksGrrrr!Honk discs one and two a listen.
As for it's release, its a new logo to sell merchandise at the tour this summer.

Date: March 18, 2019 23:13

Captain Teague
HEILOOBAAS
including Stripped [wh. I considered to be beneath contempt I made it through not even the third song], is simply that: shite.[/b]

How you can criticise something so severely that you haven't even listened to it is beyond me. Maybe you are a professional music journalist?

No, Captain Teague, I'm not a professional music journalist. I'm merely a fan of 47 years, when I heard Exile the year it was released.

My sole point is compilations, regardless of the rarity of the mix, are pastiche. We all have access to these special mixes now, unlike the 70s. I'd rather they released something nobody has heard.

And on another note entirely, does anybody feel the Performance soundtrack is one of the first truly 'world music' compilations? It's so far ahead of its time.

Date: March 19, 2019 23:41

It doesn't sound to me that there's much enthusiasm for this release at all, unfortunately.

Date: March 20, 2019 11:31

It's just another greatest hits compilation put together for the people with a casual interest in the Stones.

No long term fan - who already has everything and can make their own compilations - is going to be enthusiastic about any compilation in any order - put out like this.

I don't know what people on here expect - a greatest hits package with no greatest hits? - even if they did that, loaded it up with Ventilator blues and Hide your love and the Pain of Love et al, 'you' could still make your own playlist like that anyway, so I guess even that would be sighed at?...............

The live disc is a bonus so that's ok.........

I do think the cover is crap though - real Comprehensive/High school art class stuff...............thumbs down

Date: March 20, 2019 18:53

EddieByword
It's just another greatest hits compilation put together for the people with a casual interest in the Stones.

No long term fan - who already has everything and can make their own compilations - is going to be enthusiastic about any compilation in any order - put out like this.

I don't know what people on here expect - a greatest hits package with no greatest hits? - even if they did that, loaded it up with Ventilator blues and Hide your love and the Pain of Love et al, 'you' could still make your own playlist like that anyway, so I guess even that would be sighed at?...............

I do think the cover is crap though - real Comprehensive/High school art class stuff...............thumbs down

A voice of reason in a sea of hype. I take my Borsalino hat off t'ya, m8.

Date: March 20, 2019 20:30

HEILOOBAAS
EddieByword

A voice of reason in a sea of hype. I take my Borsalino hat off t'ya, m8.

smileys with beer ............I had to look up Borsalino - thanks for that........my Italian 'friend' will be impressed when I drop that one in the conversation when I see her next.................smoking smiley

Date: March 20, 2019 21:46

andrews27
StonedRambler
andrews27
StonedRambler
andrews27

Is there any band involvement with the live releases at all? Not since Love You Live, correct?
The band played on it. Bob Clearmountain mixed it and Mick gave the ok to the mixes. Don't think there's any more involvement needed.

Date: March 21, 2019 03:41

It seems to me Clearmountain is the curse of production. I've not heard all he's produced, but enough of it that it has a blandish, boring, same-sounding patina that all but destroys the individuality of the artist.

The previous is just my opinion.

Date: March 21, 2019 14:32

HEILOOBAAS
It seems to me Clearmountain is the curse of production. I've not heard all he's produced, but enough of it that it has a blandish, boring, same-sounding patina that all but destroys the individuality of the artist.

The previous is just my opinion.
Do you think that Tattoo You sounds blandish and boring? Because that was also mixed by Clearmountain.
But I agree with you that he has a certain mixing style and that all Stones live releases in recent years have a quite similar sound. The are really good, solid mixes, but sometimes you wish to have more variety. On the other hand, what happens if another person trys to mix a Stones release can be heard on VL Uncut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-21 14:32 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 21, 2019 14:40

StonedRambler

The band played on it. Bob Clearmountain mixed it and Mick gave the ok to the mixes. Don't think there's any more involvement needed.

But the Mastering seems to be by Stephen Marcussen - click/tap on the Trackname of 'Wild Horses (Live)' on [www.Qobuz.com] .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home