Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1978 Woodstock Rehearsals
Posted by: pats ()
Date: January 17, 2019 20:55

Greetings everyone.

It has been a long time for me since I have engaged everyone here on the boards. I wanted to ask a question about the 1978 Woodstock rehearsals. Has anyone done a remaster or any EQ work on these fabulous recordings ?

Those of you with infinitely more Stones knowledge than me, do you have any variation in sound quality between the different releases of these sessions ? If so which would be considered the best in sound quality ? It always struck me that these recordings could really sound amazing with some enhancement from someone with the skills of Captain Acid or someone with the skills to work on them.

Any thoughts or links to a remaster or the best available version ?

Thanks all and happy 2019.

Re: 1978 Woodstock Rehearsals
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2019 10:37

VGP should be the best version.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: January 18, 2019 15:10

Agree with DCBA, VGP-130 seems the best. Copied by Red Devil under the same title, as a 12' LP size box with a few additional & useless tracks without any connection with these rehearsals.

Downgrade/remaster by wizards is not necessary.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2019 17:30

The pending and unsolved question is do these boots stem from audio or video tapes?
I remember reading in a 1996/97 issue of US fanzine "Sticky Fingers" a letter by Felix Aeppli where he described watching 45 minutes (iirc) of these 78 rehearsals at Videojames's place in NYC. That happened around 1985.

Aeppli is too Stones-addict to mistake the SNL rehearsal with actual Woodstock pre-tour rehearsals, so I guess his description is accurate.
And the mystery remains...

Date: January 20, 2019 22:37

dcba
The pending and unsolved question is do these boots stem from audio or video tapes?
I remember reading in a 1996/97 issue of US fanzine "Sticky Fingers" a letter by Felix Aeppli where he described watching 45 minutes (iirc) of these 78 rehearsals at Videojames's place in NYC. That happened around 1985.

Aeppli is too Stones-addict to mistake the SNL rehearsal with actual Woodstock pre-tour rehearsals, so I guess his description is accurate.
And the mystery remains...
I remember there was footage of them used by a news station of them playing when the whip comes down (or maybe it was another song) during the woodstock rehearsals. So I dont think it's entirely impossible that it exists

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 21, 2019 07:59

Geraldo Rivera was at the Woodstock rehearsals for the 20/20 piece on the Stones in 78. That’s where the footage comes from. Could there be a couple of hours? Sure.
These are also with the reggae keyboard player they originally hired before bringing Mac in shortly before the tour started.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 21, 2019 23:08

I kinda like Turd On The Run's "Pearls At Swine" 2cd release. It's trimmed down some but it flows well and sounds a bit brighter to me..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home