Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Bird's Vault Volume 1&2
Posted by: Wolfgang ()
Date: August 5, 2018 23:44

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outMANY thanks ,..great great great ..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 6, 2018 00:02

JohnnySnapps
retired_dog
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
retired_dog
ReelStone
Another ReelStone trading experience.

| CONTACT |

Geier/Gier Records is at OBR's throat again, anyone remembers the "Some Tattoos" affair some decades ago?

I don't remember that. Can you fill me in?

Well, Geier/Gier Records copy of OBR's "Some Tattoos" was an "answer" to OBR's supposedly "greed" ("Gier" is the german word for "greed") at the time, releasing multiple versions of the same title ("first 25 copies mlticolored vinyl", "copies 26 to 100 colored vinyl, copies 101 to 250 black vinyl" or something like that, with further rereleases in a "Collector's Series" with different sleeves, everything sold at extremely high prices to milk as much cash as possible out of small pressing runs.

Geier/Gier's "Some Tattoos" copy was on beautiful multicoloured vinyl for the complete pressig run and intentionally sold cheap. Furthermore, the LP labels were called A(gents), making fun of OBR's fear of IFPI agents and "B(abble)", a hint to the OBR label founder's regional german accent/dialect who in turn was extremely upset about all this.

Well, that's the story I have heard at the time.

Cool story! Just checked my copy of this boot. It's the Geier Records version on multicolored vinyl. The back cover states 200 copies were made, with copies 1-30 on multicolored vinyl and the rest on colored vinyl, but I'm guessing they probably just put that in to make fun of OBR's multiple versions policy.

Also, side a has "A gents?" and side B has "B auble!"

Ah, thanks for the corrections! Sorry for my minor inaccuracies but I wrote this from my memory without looking at the actual record which is buried somewhere in my vaults...

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 6, 2018 00:10

dcba
Couple of remarks :

I wonder who plays bass on "Miss You". Could it be Ron?

Show Me A Woman aka Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) is really fascinating!
Version I has a bleak dark almost industrial sound. Version II has an bluesy feeling. Did Keith feel the need to put the song back on a traditional/bluesy track? Big mistake imo, version I is far more interesting. Then Mick laid his hands on the demo and turned the song into the "dancefloor-friendly" tune that ended on UC. And I think I can hear two lead guitars on v-I, is that Jim Barber?

We now understand why, in 1985, for the early DW sessions, the 1st song the Stones decided to rework/review was "Something I Want aka Your Love". The UC version is a killer! And if you want to play it at home the chord progression is Em Am then C to C. Simple but effective : it sounds like a twisted demented gospel.

Now finally after years of so-so mostly instrumental UC outtakes the good stuff finally leaks out! thumbs up
Version of Tie you up on part 2 is actually Strictly Memphis to my ears.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: August 6, 2018 10:00

thank you Hillside Blues!!!

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: August 6, 2018 10:58

Thanks a lot for this fair trade.
Long live the IORR and the Rolling Stones
smileys with beer

Posted by: tattoogal ()
Date: August 7, 2018 11:30

Thanks Hillside Blues and Midnrambler!

wow love this Something I Want .

shame though we still cant get the whole take of the band doing Cant find Love!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 7, 2018 12:17

Tonstone
Thanks to all involved for unearthing this great post.

Thanks to krzysztof - for starting the post - without you this may not have come togetherthumbs up
Big Thanks to Hillside blues for posting smileys with beer
Thanks to Reelstone for you beautiful photos.you deserve an appropriate response.
And to midnrambler for your great work drinking smiley

Absolute pleasure to be part of this unique board. Thank you.

Thanks a Lot.
Jeroen

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 7, 2018 15:23

If we remove all those tracks that have been released before (on DAC-181, 182, 187) something like this remains (for DAC-189 "Something I Want" grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley):

Something I Want (Your Love) I
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) I
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) II
Feel On Baby I
Wanna Hold You I
When You're Gone I
Little T&A I
Miss You I
Just My Imagination II

Here we go: [we.tl]

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: August 7, 2018 15:44

midnrambler
If we remove all those tracks that have been released before (on DAC-181, 182, 187) something like this remains (for DAC-189 "Something I Want" grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley):

Something I Want (Your Love) I
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) I
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) II
Feel On Baby I
Wanna Hold You I
When You're Gone I
Little T&A I
Miss You I
Just My Imagination II

Here we go: [we.tl]

Thanks for those midnrambler. Hope there will be more leaks in the future... there must be so many great tapes from the 70s and 80s. Also would like to hear the BtB sessions that are around obviously.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:02

Thanks again midnrambler!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:40

midnrambler
If we remove all those tracks that have been released before (on DAC-181, 182, 187) something like this remains (for DAC-189 "Something I Want") :

Nah, they'll rehash the Suresnes tape at the end of the 9 new songs and they'll call it "The Paris years 1977-2002". cool smiley

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:46

thank you!!!!!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:53

dcba
midnrambler
If we remove all those tracks that have been released before (on DAC-181, 182, 187) something like this remains (for DAC-189 "Something I Want") :

Nah, they'll rehash the Suresnes tape at the end of the 9 new songs and they'll call it "The Paris years 1977-2002". cool smiley

Yes, of course you're right! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 19:06

Really like Your Love.beauiful and exciting.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: August 9, 2018 22:50

Thanks

Date: August 12, 2018 15:40

By popular demand (= nobody asked for it) grinning smiley here's 7 of the 9 new tracks in a speed-corrected form (I couldn't be bothered with the 2 others).

In the immortal words of Leonard Cohen "I did my best, it wasn't much" grinning smiley but it's still far better than the raw original form that you can find on the OBR vinyls for these 7 gems.

DAC will certainly present these tracks in the best possible form with deadly accurate speed correction. In the meantime :
[uptobox.com]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 12, 2018 16:48

Thank you for the speed-corrected tracks dcba!

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: August 12, 2018 23:08

dcba
By popular demand (= nobody asked for it) grinning smiley here's 7 of the 9 new tracks in a speed-corrected form (I couldn't be bothered with the 2 others).

In the immortal words of Leonard Cohen "I did my best, it wasn't much" grinning smiley but it's still far better than the raw original form that you can find on the OBR vinyls for these 7 gems.

DAC will certainly present these tracks in the best possible form with deadly accurate speed correction. In the meantime :
[uptobox.com]

dcba thank you for your work and due diligence which I always respect. , I am intrigued, please don't take this the wrong way as these are outtakes and not official releases. On what or how do you measure the speed of how the recordings are if we only have in most cases one source to listen to, how can you tell if a track runs too fast or slow?. I am no tech wizard, but have a lot of recordings of which, if there was a way of telling the recording speed is correct. I would love to know if there is a software package that you use to determine the correct speed, Thank you for your valued input.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-14 08:33 by Tonstone.

Date: August 12, 2018 23:37

Thanks DCBA.
Jeroen

Date: August 13, 2018 09:21

Thanks DCBA, appreciated

Date: August 14, 2018 04:44

Tonstone
dcba

[uptobox.com]

dcba thank you for your work and due diligence which I always respect. , I am intrigued, please don't take this the wrong way as these are outtakes and not official releases. On what or how do you measure the speed of how the recordings are if we only have in most cases one ource to listen to, how can you tell if a track runs to fast or slow?. I am no tech wizard, but have a lot of recordings of which, if there was a way of telling the recording speed is correct. I would love to know if there is a software package that you use to determine the correct speed, Thank you for your valued input.
an excellent question which I also have wondered about ....

Posted by: joemusic1958 ()
Date: August 14, 2018 08:30

Any chance that it would be possible to repost the declicked version please ? I somehow missed it ! Thanks

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 14, 2018 09:03

diverseharmonics
Tonstone
dcba

[uptobox.com]

dcba thank you for your work and due diligence which I always respect. , I am intrigued, please don't take this the wrong way as these are outtakes and not official releases. On what or how do you measure the speed of how the recordings are if we only have in most cases one ource to listen to, how can you tell if a track runs to fast or slow?. I am no tech wizard, but have a lot of recordings of which, if there was a way of telling the recording speed is correct. I would love to know if there is a software package that you use to determine the correct speed, Thank you for your valued input.

If you play a little bit of guitar you can check with the official version of the tracks. For example, "Miss You" is in Am chord, on this outtake, it's a semitone higher. Same for several others songs if I'm not wrong.

Date: August 15, 2018 11:43

Added in Stonesvault

Bird's Vault Volume 1 [www.filefactory.com]
Bird's Vault Volume 2 [www.filefactory.com]
Bird's Vault RI 61-16 Midnrambler [www.filefactory.com]
Bird's Outtake Vault Midnrambler [www.filefactory.com]
Bird's speed corrected by dcba [www.filefactory.com]

Date: August 18, 2018 20:50

ouroux58
diverseharmonics
Tonstone
dcba

[uptobox.com]

If you play a little bit of guitar you can check with the official version of the tracks. For example, "Miss You" is in Am chord, on this outtake, it's a semitone higher. Same for several others songs if I'm not wrong.
Nah...i'm a bassist which means I can't play chords...i'm no OX!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 29, 2018 02:14

"Rock Awhile" on TALK IS CHEAP has a bit of Take One of "Show Me a Woman" in it.

Date: August 31, 2018 16:00

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

I hope I'll get my "review" copy for "services rendered"... grinning smiley

As for the speed-correction... it's more or less what Ouroux said.

You check the chords of the song you're listening to. take "Miss You" if you don't hear the classic Am/Dm progression you know the song runs at the wrong speed.
On the "Bird's Vault" release "Miss You" went from a very sharp Am (close to A#m) to a very sharp Dm (close to D#m). So I used the speed correction tool in Audacity and I decreased the speed of the tape till I got a Am/Dm progression.

Minus 2%? Not enough. Minus 2,3%? Not enough. Minus 2,5%? Not enough. Minus 2,8%? Sounds good.
Quite often with each copy of a tape being made the speed slightly increases but homemade devices (= cassette decks mainly) are not that accurate.
Much more rarely a tape runs too slow, like the track off the "Virchov tape" that's on the "Bird's Vault".

Anyway expect the DAC version of this material to be the ultimate in speed-correction... unless Captain Acid finds the time to take on the job.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 1, 2018 20:10

dcba
[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

I hope I'll get my "review" copy for "services rendered"... grinning smiley

As for the speed-correction... it's more or less what Ouroux said.

You check the chords of the song you're listening to. take "Miss You" if you don't hear the classic Am/Dm progression you know the song runs at the wrong speed.
On the "Bird's Vault" release "Miss You" went from a very sharp Am (close to A#m) to a very sharp Dm (close to D#m). So I used the speed correction tool in Audacity and I decreased the speed of the tape till I got a Am/Dm progression.

Minus 2%? Not enough. Minus 2,3%? Not enough. Minus 2,5%? Not enough. Minus 2,8%? Sounds good.
Quite often with each copy of a tape being made the speed slightly increases but homemade devices (= cassette decks mainly) are not that accurate.
Much more rarely a tape runs too slow, like the track off the "Virchov tape" that's on the "Bird's Vault".

Anyway expect the DAC version of this material to be the ultimate in speed-correction... unless Captain Acid finds the time to take on the job.
Thanks for the update dcba. I don't play guitar but googled Minor Chords Em, Am, Dm and Bm and now have a better understanding of what to listen for.And and yes will be looking out for a DAC release. If Captain Acid takes on the job that would be great, always enjoy his work.

Date: September 1, 2018 22:59

The key is to use the speed correction tool not the pitch correction one.

The faulty songs do have a pitch problem but that is a result of multi-gen dubbing that messed up the speed of the music.
Sometimes with 1980's or 1990's live recordings made with high-end Walkmans (like the superb Sony WM-D6) even the master cassette could run at the wrong speed and needed correction.
Some 1994 Vl tour were made with such device and they were sligtly "off" = ran too fast. The good side of it is, as you listened to the boot CD you thought the band were really good and energetic that night... grinning smiley

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 2, 2018 04:07

Captain Acid is one of the few souls out there who knows how to do a proper remaster.

www.rsundercover.eu

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-02 04:18 by Britney.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home