Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Philadelphia ‘72 Project
Posted by: Frawls ()
Date: February 15, 2018 15:41

I’ve really liked ‘Philadelphia Special’ for many years and wanted to have the best sounding version available to listen to. Combing through some threads here, there were many opinions as to which sources sound the best. They’re all so readily available here that I sampled pretty much all of them and found that most of the best sounding versions were all on the Rattlesnake 1972 STP box set. They’re the most direct, up close sounding while the others sound a bit more distant. The only exception I found was Midnight Rambler and the following band introductions, which ended up sounding best on ‘Philadelphia Special VGP-260 (V2)’.

I assembled the tracks in the same order as the original ‘Philadelphia Special’ and it sounds quite nice. However, there is a jarring transitions and volume unevenness in ‘Midnight Rambler’ and the band intros due to the mixing of the sources. If I zip this up, does anyone want to take a crack at a clean-up/editing job?

Let me know,
Matt

Re: Philadelphia ‘72 Project
Date: February 15, 2018 19:15

This would probably be a simple fix and may possibly present the definitive 'Philadelphia Special' collection. Just matching up the 2 songs taken from the other source to the ones pulled from STP 1972, which all sound fine (to me). I'm just not very knowledgeable and don't have the time. I'd be happy to send the files though.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: February 15, 2018 21:31

Matt,

Munichhilton did a similar project a couple years back. His primary source was a vinyl Rip he got from silkcut. I’m sure if you did a search you could pull up more info. Cheers

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 16, 2018 21:47

Deja Vu!

[iorr.org]

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: February 16, 2018 23:40

Munichhilton
Deja Vu!

[iorr.org]

WT link valid until February 23rd:
[we.tl]

Munichhilton
The Philadelphia Project
This was brought on by the superior sound of the original 2 LP set shared by silkcut1978. His LPs brought a better source to the Philadelphia 1972 early show on July 21st than was previously available... The 2 LPs also used a lot of Ft Worth 1972 which is not only now official, but available in pretty good quality already. The first 3 sides of silkcuts LPs ran at the right speed, but side 4 was too fast...probably to make it fit. As I only used 1 song from that side (the rest were Ft. Worth) only one track needed speed correction. Other tracks were included from best available sources in order to complete this set.

01 Brown Sugar July 21st early show *
02 Bitch July 21st early show *
03 Rocks Off July 21st early show *
04 Gimme Shelter JUly 21st early show *
05 Happy July 21st early show *
06 Tumbling Dice July 21st early show *
07 Love In Vain July 21st early show
08 Sweet Virginia July 20th only show
09 You Can't Always Get What You Want July 21st early show *
10 All Down The Line July 21st early show [pitch corrected] *
11 Midnight Rambler July 21st late show
12 Bye Bye Johnny July 21st late show
13 Rip This Joint July 21st late show
14 Jumping Jack Flash July 21st late show
15 Street Fighting Man July 21st late show
16 Uptight - Satisfaction July 20th only show

* Taken from silkcut1978 LP Rip of Philadelphia Special [Pre Swinging Pig Label] Best available quality and recent upgrade or retrograde.

The Rest:

Track 7 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 8 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 11 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 12 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP is missing this track
Track 13 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 14 taken from "Philadelphia Special II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth JUne 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"
Track 15 taken from "Philadelphia II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"

Volume fluctuations were severe in some cases. Tracks have all been brought into the same volume range manually. NO NORMALIZING. There were a few bad edits on the LP source that I left in to keep that source as clean as possible. Most notable is the spoken intro to YCAGWYW. It seems to skip or something.

Thanks to Silkcut1978, ErikSnow, and to midnrambler whose long ago torrent of both complete Ft. Worth shows really helped in comparing these lps.

Final question: Who screws up the beginning of Jumping Jack Flash? Keith seems to be right on target. Is it Charlie? Nicky? Bill? Either way, Charlie wrestles it back under control.

Munichhilton Hungercitizen 10/2011

Chris from Belgium

Date: February 17, 2018 02:05

Thanks for the info. I'm referring solely to the performances that made up the 'Philadelphia Special' bootleg, which were actually mixed dates and cities and not (all) the 7/21 show.

I wanted to reproduce the running order of the original boot with the best sounding versions available of each song. In my opinion, they all seem to come from the Rattlesnake STP Touring Party set. I've listened to the SilkCut LP rip if this material and, while very good, doesn't sound as in your face as this does.

I uploaded the tracks I pulled together here for anyone who wants to listen and/or smooth the transitions and fix it up. Have at it! Enjoy!

[www.dropbox.com]

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 23:35

Many thanks for this

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: February 18, 2018 16:55

thanks Chris

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 19, 2018 15:13

thanks Frawls

comparing my midnight rambler your sourche sounds better than mine

Date: February 19, 2018 15:21

so it's from philly 2nd ?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 19, 2018 17:06

I am SO happy that y'all have done this, because I wrote on getting the definitive Philly Special some time back, be it from the pre- "No Noised" vinyl sources or elsewhere.

I had the Rattlesnake Box at one point, but it was rendered (IMHO) obsolete by a set that traded as an 8CD (as opposed to 7CD) set named Work Sucks ... Let's Go on Tour. The Sound on Works Sucks was SO MUCH better than was the Rattlesnake Box. Plus, it tacked ont he Pittsburg show from 7.22.

What I am struggling with is identifying the actual date and show of a version of Uptight (Outa Sight) with the Stones & Stevie. There is a version from a video in which Stevie goes "FUNKY, FUNKY, FUNKY" right before Mick picks up with Satisfaction. Some sources say its the 7.20 show, but others seem to suggest that it is the 7.21 late show, as the the only source known for the 7.21 early show is not soundboard, to my knowledge.

Is there somewhere a list that identifies which one is which for Uptight/Satisfaction?

Thanks, and please keep up all the good work - we are so lucky y'all do!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-19 17:17 by stonesstein.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 19, 2018 18:37

It's 7/21 early show.

Date: February 19, 2018 19:14

stonesstein

I had the Rattlesnake Box at one point, but it was rendered (IMHO) obsolete by a set that traded as an 8CD (as opposed to 7CD) set named Work Sucks ... Let's Go on Tour. The Sound on Works Sucks was SO MUCH better than was the Rattlesnake Box. Plus, it tacked ont he Pittsburg show from 7.22.

If the 'Work Sucks' boot sounds better, I'm afraid my work here isn't much use as they were all taken from the Rattlesnake Box.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 19, 2018 20:23

Frawls
stonesstein

If the 'Work Sucks' boot sounds better, I'm afraid my work here isn't much use as they were all taken from the Rattlesnake Box.

I had the same idea to get the best Philadelphia Special. I collected many versions of these great classics (Philadelphia Special I & II). I never had time to do all of the Stones projects I want to. So many projects, so little time. (I'm primarily focused on the 1981-1982 tour for the last two years.)

My advice is to keep going! You think you are almost done and then you realize you may only be half way to the finish line. Keep going! You sound like me, I love the Stones, I want the best sounding material and I'm willing to do the work to get it.

Get "Work Sucks" and any other version and figure it out for yourself.

My idea was to get the best Philadelphia Special I and II together then combine them for the best of the best of both in to one concert. I had all of the tracks picked out years ago but remember that Street Fighting Man was much better (IMHO) on one than the other, etc...

I'd be glad to help you anyway I can. You can email me at photomedia@live.com .

ExileStones

Date: February 19, 2018 22:33

stonesstein

I had the Rattlesnake Box at one point, but it was rendered (IMHO) obsolete by a set that traded as an 8CD (as opposed to 7CD) set named Work Sucks ... Let's Go on Tour. The Sound on Works Sucks was SO MUCH better than was the Rattlesnake Box.

Will someone please post work sucks? Thanks

p.s. What is the source for Work Sucks? any notes included?

Date: February 19, 2018 23:22

exilestones
stonesstein

I had the Rattlesnake Box at one point, but it was rendered (IMHO) obsolete by a set that traded as an 8CD (as opposed to 7CD) set named Work Sucks ... Let's Go on Tour. The Sound on Works Sucks was SO MUCH better than was the Rattlesnake Box.

Will someone please post work sucks? Thanks

p.s. What is the source for Work Sucks? any notes included?

I should imagine a quick search of the internet will give you that info., m8.

Date: February 20, 2018 00:23

Work Sucks, Let's Go on Tour!

stonesmuziekfan
8 disc set Work Sucks

1972 Work Sucks Let's Go On Tour vol 1 (4CD).rar [www.filefactory.com]
1972 Work Sucks Let's Go On Tour vol 2 (4CD).rar [www.filefactory.com]

new flac links

Date: February 20, 2018 04:44

Here is a link to some artwork, as I cannot see that it is in the Stones' bootleg database:

Stones - Work Sucks Trax & Artwork

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 20, 2018 04:50

And some different artwork that was around when this first came out in 2003:

Stones' Work Sucks...Let's Go On Tour - Artwork

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 20, 2018 05:54

stonesstein
And some different artwork that was around when this first came out in 2003:

Stones' Work Sucks...Let's Go On Tour - Artwork

tHANKS

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: February 20, 2018 11:35

Still available in Stonesvault
1972 Work Sucks Let's Go On Tour vol 1 (4CD).rar [www.filefactory.com]
1972 Work Sucks Let's Go On Tour vol 2 (4CD).rar [www.filefactory.com]

Date: February 20, 2018 15:28

HEILOOBAAS
It's 7/21 early show.

How can you be sure?

As I understand, the only 7.21 matinee recordings are not soundboard or film, while (most of) 7.20 and (all of) 7.21 nite shows have long been out.

At least that is what I have learned over the years.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 20, 2018 15:32

With all respect to the Rattlesnake Box, I'd love for anyone who knows about the genesis of the 8CD Work Sucks, Let's Go on Tour to step forward and comment, because to me, this is the definitive STP 72 Compilation.

Everything that one would want is there. The only songs not in SB or FM quality are the rarer trax from Vancouver, SF, and the Pittsburgh show (CD#8) is probably better now elsewhere.

However, as I recall, this release (which was really a clone-upgrade) was the one that "broke" the 7.22.1972 show.

Can anyone provide more background on Work Sucks?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 20, 2018 19:07

stonesstein
HEILOOBAAS
It's 7/21 early show.

How can you be sure?

As I understand, the only 7.21 matinee recordings are not soundboard or film, while (most of) 7.20 and (all of) 7.21 nite shows have long been out.

Many of us suspected the version shown on cs blues was from the 1st show on the 21st, and was finally confirmed when the entire show was shared last year from an audience tape. The is no longer any doubt where it is from.

Date: February 21, 2018 03:51

blakeeik
stonesstein
HEILOOBAAS
It's 7/21 early show.

How can you be sure?

Many of us suspected the version shown on cs blues was from the 1st show on the 21st, and was finally confirmed when the entire show was shared last year from an audience tape. The is no longer any doubt where it is from.

Thank you so so so so much! I am not as attuned as many.

So I understand clearly, the version where Stevie says "Funky funky funky" is really 7.21.1972 1st show instead of 7.20?

Please let me know so I do not bother y'all or any of the board people any more.

Again, thanks so much!!!!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 22, 2018 14:23

stonesstein
blakeeik
stonesstein
HEILOOBAAS
It's 7/21 early show.

How can you be sure?

Thank you so so so so much! I am not as attuned as many.

So I understand clearly, the version where Stevie says "Funky funky funky" is really 7.21.1972 1st show instead of 7.20?

Please let me know so I do not bother y'all or any of the board people any more.

Again, thanks so much!!!!

yes, the one from cs blues is from 7/21 1st. Stevie does say Funky Funky Funky, but i dunno, he may say that all the time.

The one from 7/20 is only available in poor audience quality (ie Can You Hear the Encore? [Esky Product 002] <CD-1>)

The one from 7/21 2nd is the one on Philadelphia Special (TSP).

Date: October 15, 2018 20:56

Hi Folks,

I made another version of this with crossfades on a few tracks to avoid the abrupt cuts. All songs are from the Rattlesnake Touring Party '72 boot with the exception of Midnight Rambler which - for some reason - sounded best on the PS VGP V2 boot. To my ears, my compilation offers these tracks in the best possible sound quality. If you think you can improve it, please do and share with the group. Feedback is welcome.

FLAC 16-bit
[www.dropbox.com]

Thanks,
Frawls

Date: October 16, 2018 08:45

stage talk before all down the line is not here

Date: October 16, 2018 11:06

vancouver
stage talk before all down the line is not here

D'you mean..."You're very good. You're very warm. I can feel your warmth. You are very warm and tender. Keith, play it, baby..." or something like that.

Date: October 16, 2018 13:25

Is silkcut1978's original rip still available?
Thanks

Munichhilton

Here it is both silkcut1978's original rip and a bastard son:
[we.tl]
until July 22nd

The Philadelphia Project
This was brought on by the superior sound of the original 2 LP set shared by silkcut1978. His LPs brought a better source to the Philadelphia 1972 early show on July 21st than was previously available... The 2 LPs also used a lot of Ft Worth 1972 which is not only now official, but available in pretty good quality already. The first 3 sides of silkcuts LPs ran at the right speed, but side 4 was too fast...probably to make it fit. As I only used 1 song from that side (the rest were Ft. Worth) only one track needed speed correction. Other tracks were included from best available sources in order to complete this set.

01 Brown Sugar July 21st early show *
02 Bitch July 21st early show *
03 Rocks Off July 21st early show *
04 Gimme Shelter JUly 21st early show *
05 Happy July 21st early show *
06 Tumbling Dice July 21st early show *
07 Love In Vain July 21st early show
08 Sweet Virginia July 20th only show
09 You Can't Always Get What You Want July 21st early show *
10 All Down The Line July 21st early show [pitch corrected] *
11 Midnight Rambler July 21st late show
12 Bye Bye Johnny July 21st late show
13 Rip This Joint July 21st late show
14 Jumping Jack Flash July 21st late show
15 Street Fighting Man July 21st late show
16 Uptight - Satisfaction July 20th only show

* Taken from silkcut1978 LP Rip of Philadelphia Special [Pre Swinging Pig Label] Best available quality and recent upgrade or retrograde.

The Rest:

Track 7 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 8 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 11 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 12 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP is missing this track
Track 13 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 14 taken from "Philadelphia Special II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth JUne 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"
Track 15 taken from "Philadelphia II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"

Volume fluctuations were severe in some cases. Tracks have all been brought into the same volume range manually. NO NORMALIZING. There were a few bad edits on the LP source that I left in to keep that source as clean as possible. Most notable is the spoken intro to YCAGWYW. It seems to skip or something.

Thanks to Silkcut1978, ErikSnow, and to midnrambler whose long ago torrent of both complete Ft. Worth shows really helped in comparing these lps.

Final question: Who screws up the beginning of Jumping Jack Flash? Keith seems to be right on target. Is it Charlie? Nicky? Bill? Either way, Charlie wrestles it back under control.

Munichhilton Hungercitizen 10/2011

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home