Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Altamont
Posted by: Ronaldo ()
Date: February 6, 2018 23:18

I have just finished reading a relatively new Stones book published in 2016, “Altamont (The Rolling Stones, The Hells Angels, and the inside story of Rock’s darkest day)” by U.S. author Joel Selvin. I have to say it was totally fascinating, a classic “can’t put down” book, with incredible detail and research into the Altamont concert, both before and after the event. It tempts me to dig out the Gimme Shelter DVD while it’s all fresh in the memory.
Hard to believe it was nearly 50 years ago!

Highly recommended!

Re: Altamont
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: February 7, 2018 02:53

Joel Selvin's book "Summer of Love" is also excellent.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: February 7, 2018 03:47

Read the "Altamont"...excellent on all accounts...years ago here on one of the other forums I wrote about my experience being there at Altamont...hard to believe fifty years is smacking me in the face...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 7, 2018 04:22

My gripe with this book is that the author was not in attendance at the show.
All his "accounts" are from research/interviews and other books which have been written about the show previously.
When reading the Altamont section it felt like it was a combination of 20+ Altamont books/articles I had read in the past...like a compilation.
Still worthwhile.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 7, 2018 21:10

Most books of this type are compilations of info from interviews, other books and magazine/ newspaper articles though are they not? Certainly being their adds something to the experience but that only gives a narrow account of one persons perspective of what happened.

IMHO Selvin did an excellent job researching this book and it is much more than just an account of what went on that day which many have written about. The value for me was it gives great detailed background on the planning and the aftermath of the Altamont concert with details I had never read before.

Like any book I am sure the are some mistakes but all in all it was a great read as I just finished reading it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-07 21:11 by oldschool.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 8, 2018 07:32

oldschool
Most books of this type are compilations of info from interviews, other books and magazine/ newspaper articles though are they not?

very true.
It just felt like a cut/paste job to me....as I had read nearly all of his Altamont "accounts" before over the years.
As I said...still worthwhile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home