Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: Stones Sidesteps Series: The STU Side - Vol 07 - "They All Want To Play With STU" feat. Clapton, Led ZEP, Butterfield, Lane & Townshend
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:11

Stones Sidesteps: The STU Sidesteps
This is a series of recordings provided by nzb to present the side projects of some of the Rolling Stones (Ian 'Stu' Stewart, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman).
This part of the series is devoted to STU, the only person that can be called the 6th Stone (but in fact he was the 2nd Stone).
Thanks to nzb who provided us his recordings, to Jaap (Stonesmuziekfan) who gave critic and advise regarding my work and to my friend Riccardo (MrNo) who participated to a big part of my collection.
………………………………………………………………………………………….

Volume 07:
“They All Want To Play With STU”

Part I: 24th November 1978: ERIC CLAPTON. Glasgow, Scotland, Apollo Theatre
01 - Key To The Highway (William Broonzy)
02 - Further On Up The Road (Joe M. Veasey)
Line-up: STU (p)/Eric Clapton (gtr, voc)/Carl Radle (bass)/Jamie Oldaker (dr)/ Dick Sims (keyb)/Jerry Portnoy (harm)/Bob Margolin (gtr)
Note: Soundboard recording was made with The Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit.
For This one I have 3 versions:
- First from nzb (only the two tracks with STU)
- One from Tarantura « Eric Clapton Glasgow Appolo » (complete show)
- One from Mid Valley « Mr Robert Johnson » (6 cds box)) (complete show in sdb & audience + Muddy Water show (that opened for EC)
This last one is awesome so I used it for this compilation

Part II: 21st February 1977: PETE TOWNSHEND & RONNIE LANE. London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer and sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
03 - Catmelody 1 (Ronnie Lane/Kit Lambert) - early version
Line-up: STU (p)/CW (dr)/ Ronnie Lane (voc, bass)/Pete Townshend (gtr)/Mel Collins (sax)
Coming from Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane « Unsurpassed Masters - Rough Mix Outtakes » (Audiofon Music AF019)

Part III: January or February 1971: LED ZEPPELIN. Headley Grange, Hampshire, Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit. Producer: Jimmy Page. Sound engineer: Andy Johns.
04 - Boogie With STU (take 01 to 07) (STU/Robert Plant/John Bonham/Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones/Mrs. Valens)
Line-up : STU (p)/Robert Plant (voc)/Jimmy Page (gtr, mand, ARP syth)/John Paul Jones (bass, gtr)/John Bonham (dr)
Note: Boogie With Stu bases on the Richie Valens-song Ooh My Head, hence the credit to his widow.
This one’s coming from Jaap, lineage unknown.
I didn’t keep take 2 and 3 because they’re only the repeat of the beginning of the song and without STU. So here are take 1, 4, 5, 6 &7 on which I only amplified a little the sound..

Part IV: 10th September 1984: PAUL BUTTERFIELD. Molde, Norway, ‘Jazz Festival’.
Line-up: STU (p)/Paul Butterfield (voc, harm)/Arlen Roth (gtr)/Colin Hodgkinson(bass)/Tony Hicks (dr)
Note: Recorded and broadcast by Norwegian radio.
05 - Slidin’ Delta Blues
06 - Mannish Boy (Ellas McDaniel/McKinley Morganfield/Mel London)
07 - Born In Chicago (Nicholas Gravenites)
08 - Bringing In The Cherries (STU)
09 - If You Live (Paul Butterfield)
10 - Roll ‘Em Pete (Pete Johnson/Joe Turner)
For this one I have 3 versions but from the same source of wich 2 are lossy so the selection was easy!
Coming from a radio broadcast with, not too much boring, norwegian comments.
The sound is very good but a little saturated.
I keep the first track and « Your Day Will Come » in which STU didn’t play but this way the program is complete and more coherent.
I reworked the transitions between the 2 first tracks and I deleted a noise on first track at 27s.

As usual all the infos are taken from The Rolling Stones Complete Works Database by Nico Zentgraf [nzentgraf.de]).

link valid until 15/12/17
[we.tl]
Post on IORR [www.iorr.org]
by StonyRoad in December 2017

next on wednesday

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 20:03 by StonyRoad.

Re: POST: Stones Sidesteps Series: The STU Side - Vol 07 - "They All Want To Play With STU" feat. Clapton, Led ZEP, Butterfield, Lane & Townshend
Posted by: zubbid ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:45

HUGE thanks for this — I've been yearning to hear the Butterfield/Hodgkinson material for as long as I've known it existed.

Re: POST: Stones Sidesteps Series: The STU Side - Vol 07 - "They All Want To Play With STU" feat. Clapton, Led ZEP, Butterfield, Lane & Townshend
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:49

Many thanks for another great compilation Norbert!
And yes, "They All Want To Play With STU"!
Cheers!
smileys with beer

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:56

Thanks Norbert and all others involved for bringing us these nice compilations!!!!!!!

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: hobshobs1 ()
Date: December 8, 2017 23:33

Great work. Thanks.

Posted by: ahgriorr ()
Date: December 9, 2017 10:38

Thanks

Posted by: stonesvault ()
Date: December 9, 2017 10:45

smileys with beer

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: December 9, 2017 11:16

thank you this series is much appreciated - thanks to all parties involved

Posted by: finn ()
Date: December 9, 2017 11:24

Thank You so much

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: December 9, 2017 13:55

Thanks a lot!
CrazyMama

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 00:31

Wow, Nice compilation

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 11:10

Norbert! Much appreciated! Keep on rockin'!

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 15:59

Thank you 7x
smileys with beer

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 17, 2017 11:33

I missed this one.
Any chance to re-post it?
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home