Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best sounding version of 'Philadelphia Special'?
Posted by: Frawls ()
Date: July 14, 2017 17:27

I have also been trying to find the best version of the material that was featured on 'Philadelphia Special' and was under the impression that the VGP-260 v.2 edition was the best. Then I read that the material used for that release is actually featured in the best quality on the Rattlesnake 'STP 1972', which actually seems to be true save for Midnight Rambler which is far inferior on that release.

Does Rattlesnake's STP '72 still have this material in the best quality or has another release since surpassed it?

Re: Best sounding version of 'Philadelphia Special'?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2017 18:43

Silkcut1978 shared his pre swinging pig LP transfer...absolutely the best available

Date: July 14, 2017 18:52

Thank you. I haven't heard that version. Is it available here for download?

Date: July 14, 2017 21:21

This is where he shared it. I can repost when I get home if needed.

Date: July 14, 2017 21:40

Frawls
Thank you. I haven't heard that version. Is it available here for download?

That would certainly be much appreciated! I did look extensively here and it didn't turn up. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 21:51

Munichhilton
Silkcut1978 shared his pre swinging pig LP transfer...absolutely the best available

yes, definetly!

Date: July 15, 2017 05:08

Boss let me off work early! Thanks falo!

Here it is both silkcut1978's original rip and a bastard son:
[we.tl]
until July 22nd

The Philadelphia Project
This was brought on by the superior sound of the original 2 LP set shared by silkcut1978. His LPs brought a better source to the Philadelphia 1972 early show on July 21st than was previously available... The 2 LPs also used a lot of Ft Worth 1972 which is not only now official, but available in pretty good quality already. The first 3 sides of silkcuts LPs ran at the right speed, but side 4 was too fast...probably to make it fit. As I only used 1 song from that side (the rest were Ft. Worth) only one track needed speed correction. Other tracks were included from best available sources in order to complete this set.

01 Brown Sugar July 21st early show *
02 Bitch July 21st early show *
03 Rocks Off July 21st early show *
04 Gimme Shelter JUly 21st early show *
05 Happy July 21st early show *
06 Tumbling Dice July 21st early show *
07 Love In Vain July 21st early show
08 Sweet Virginia July 20th only show
09 You Can't Always Get What You Want July 21st early show *
10 All Down The Line July 21st early show [pitch corrected] *
11 Midnight Rambler July 21st late show
12 Bye Bye Johnny July 21st late show
13 Rip This Joint July 21st late show
14 Jumping Jack Flash July 21st late show
15 Street Fighting Man July 21st late show
16 Uptight - Satisfaction July 20th only show

* Taken from silkcut1978 LP Rip of Philadelphia Special [Pre Swinging Pig Label] Best available quality and recent upgrade or retrograde.

The Rest:

Track 7 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 8 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 11 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 12 taken from "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" as silkcuts original LP is missing this track
Track 13 taken from "Plug In Flush Out" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track.
Track 14 taken from "Philadelphia Special II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth JUne 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"
Track 15 taken from "Philadelphia II" as silkcuts original LP had the Ft Worth June 24th show track and I thought it sounded warmer than "Plug In Flush Out"

Volume fluctuations were severe in some cases. Tracks have all been brought into the same volume range manually. NO NORMALIZING. There were a few bad edits on the LP source that I left in to keep that source as clean as possible. Most notable is the spoken intro to YCAGWYW. It seems to skip or something.

Thanks to Silkcut1978, ErikSnow, and to midnrambler whose long ago torrent of both complete Ft. Worth shows really helped in comparing these lps.

Final question: Who screws up the beginning of Jumping Jack Flash? Keith seems to be right on target. Is it Charlie? Nicky? Bill? Either way, Charlie wrestles it back under control.

Munichhilton Hungercitizen 10/2011

Date: July 15, 2017 06:16

Thanks, Munichhilton! Looking forward to checking this out.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: July 15, 2017 14:38

Muchisimos Thanks for this

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: July 15, 2017 15:10

Great! Thank you! (somehow I missed this version...)

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 15, 2017 15:20

coowouters
Great! Thank you! (somehow I missed this version...)

Me too! Thanks T & G for sharing your stuff and work, it's much appreciated!
smileys with beer

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 00:14

Looking forward to hearing this. Thanks

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 16, 2017 14:24

thank you great work.but sweet virginia not from July 20th

juli 21 1st ?

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: July 16, 2017 16:01

I think vancouver is correct about SV.
Also, I think YCAGWYW is from FW 6/24/1st. It's the only version where "she was gonna MISS her connection" among the 1972 SBs. The only Philly version is CD2 track 1 on TSP's Philadelphia Special II.

Date: July 16, 2017 16:42

That's why it's a bastard son...maybe an error here or there. It was lovingly put together but its nose is not in the right place. It's mostly correct I think.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 16, 2017 16:53

One of the greatest !!!!!!

Thank you

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 18:56

Thanks for posting. I have friends who regularly refer to 1972 as the band at its peak. And Philadelphia Special as the best example from the tour. It has been hard for me to compare as any recording I head sounded muddy and flat compared to anything I had from 1973. The band might be playing well in 72, I never heard it sounding great. Thanks for posting this. I'm really looking forward to listening

Date: July 16, 2017 20:43

buffalo7478
Thanks for posting. I have friends who regularly refer to 1972 as the band at its peak. And Philadelphia Special as the best example from the tour. It has been hard for me to compare as any recording I head sounded muddy and flat compared to anything I had from 1973. The band might be playing well in 72, I never heard it sounding great. Thanks for posting this. I'm really looking forward to listening

Silks rip sounds fantastic but it's not at Brussels quality keep in mind...and then tell us your opinion after a listen

Posted by: ikikmanuel4 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 21:40

Thanks for this one.

Posted by: lonestar57 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 23:36

Thank you very much kindly. LS57

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: July 17, 2017 11:03

missed this too ..tx for re sharing :-)

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: July 18, 2017 07:22

Ahhh now I remember...the audience clapping has always driven me crazy at the beginning of "Bitch"...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home