Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best sounding version of 'Welcome To NY'?
Posted by: Frawls ()
Date: July 13, 2017 18:34

Good afternoon! Was hoping you folks would be able to point me in the right direction. I'm trying to figure out if I have the best available version of 'Welcome To New York'. For years, I thought the highest quality version available was from the 'Hell's Stones' bootleg CD as it was a straight transfer of the TMOQ LP sans the noise reduction. Recently, I pulled the version issued on the fan made 'Ass Blaster' label and it sounds a bit better to my ears but not much different.

Am I missing any essential versions of the 7/27/72 SBD snippet?

Re: Best sounding version of 'Welcome To NY'?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2017 19:25

Frawls
I'm trying to figure out if I have the best available version of 'Welcome To New York'.

Get one that runs at the right speed.
Most if not all straight-from-vinyl versions run too fast cause that's how the original lp was. Maybe the TMOQ crew sped up things to cram the cassette they got into a single lp...

So I'd go for DAC-065 available here : [www.iorr.org]

It'a an accurate representation of how things were played on that legendary Wednesday night of 72...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 19:35 by dcba.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: July 14, 2017 07:09

@dcba...thanks for pointing that out....jumping on it now...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 14, 2017 16:59

Frawls
Good afternoon! Was hoping you folks would be able to point me in the right direction. I'm trying to figure out if I have the best available version of 'Welcome To New York'. For years, I thought the highest quality version available was from the 'Hell's Stones' bootleg CD as it was a straight transfer of the TMOQ LP sans the noise reduction. Recently, I pulled the version issued on the fan made 'Ass Blaster' label and it sounds a bit better to my ears but not much different.

Am I missing any essential versions of the 7/27/72 SBD snippet?

Yes, you're missing the 7-26-72 bit. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 17, 2017 05:23

"The Madison Square Garden performance on July 26, 1972 is one of those fine moments in Rolling Stones live recorded history. Perhaps it's the fact that it was Jagger's 29th birthday that made such a difference. The energy and delivery of the performance is captured in an incredible "line" soundboard stereo recording. The "wide" stereo separation features Richards and keyboards on the left, Taylor on the right, drums and vocal in the middle, and horns split between the two channels. Interestingly enough it's the original vinyl discs that provide the basis for sound benchmarks of the CD recordings. The reason for this is that the tape source for the incredible vinyl LP's first issued by Trade Mark of Quality (TMoQ) out of greater Los Angeles county has never turned-up in tape trading circles. With this in mind one can only look for the finest sound reproduction on CD's made from the old LP's. The finest CD copy of the original "Welcome To New York" LP ends up on an unusual recording and not The Swingin' Pig as one might expect. The original LP's were issued by the TMoQ label in several variations with matrix numbers that identify original mono issues from later "wide" stereo issues. The running order of the songs also varies from the original RS-546 matrix number."

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

I always enjoyed "Welcome to New York." Is it the best version of the show? I don't know.

Date: July 17, 2017 05:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-01 15:44 by exilestones.

Date: July 17, 2017 06:00

an All Sold Out production

[wetransfer.com]

720726 NEW YORK Welcome to NY by ASO

ASO writes:

This is my attempt at improving one of the most famous Rolling Stones bootlegs of all time, TMOQ's "Welcome to New York." Originally released in 1973 on LP, it had great stereo soundboard sound quality of the last show of the Stones' '72 US tour on Mick Jagger's 29th birthday, and a great cover drawn by William Stout. Since then, it has been re-released many times on LP and CD, in varying quality. I tried to use the best available sources for my version. For further info, see [www.rollingstonesnet.com] and [www.rollingstonesnet.com] (scroll way down to VGP-312).

Tracks 1-6 are from a second generation audience recording. Quality is decent for '72; I've heard better and worse. I discovered this tape in 1992, on a Rolling Stones mailing list. The person I got it from got from a friend who was the taper. He told me his friend called Madison Square Garden before the show and asked if it was ok to bring a tape recorder, and they said it was. Of course during the show someone noticed him taping and he had to stop, but somehow he managed to keep what he had recorded to that point. This is all there is. These tracks were transferred to PC in 2001 using a Nakamichi BX-300 tape deck with pitch control and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. They have since been transferred back and forth between PC and CDR several times, always using EAC. For 2010, I have slowed the pitch 2% compared to the 2007 edition. This sounds more correct to my ears, and matches DAC-065 "Nasty Songs," which is a commercial bootleg of my 2007 torrent.

Tracks 7-15 are from LP. Legend has it that the soundboard tape was stolen from the person recording the show for the Stones. TMOQ's Stones tapes don't circulate, so original vinyl is the best source. I used a red vinyl original with RS-546 REI matrix, played on a Music Hall MMF-7 turntable with an Ortofon OM-20 cartridge, through an Adcom GFP-565 preamp, then into an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. The transfer was originally done in 2006 and LP surface noise was reduced using Cool Edit Pro 2.1. I also fixed the volume drop at the end of "Midnight Rambler" as much as possible, and rearranged the tracks back to their original running order; TMOQ took it upon themselves to resequence them. For 2007, I have slightly improved the editing and indexing. For 2010, I have slowed the pitch 3% compared to the 2007 edition. This sounds more correct to my ears, and matches DAC-065 "Nasty Songs," which is a commercial bootleg of my 2007 torrent.

Artwork is based on Vinyl Gang's "Welcome to New York" CD, which lifts its art from the original TMOQ LP. Cue sheet is included for playing or burning with CD text.

Please note that the sound on tracks 7-15 is far superior to the best known (as of 2007) CD release which is TSP's CD (and LP) from 1989. That release, also made from an original TMOQ LP, suffers from excessive NoNoise. Yes, it reduces the hiss, but it also sucks all the life out of the music. I did not add on the last few songs from the show (Street Fighting Man, Happy Birthday Mick, and Uptight/Satisfaction) as they are only on a poor quality source which I no longer have.

Presented in in FLAC 1.2.1. Includes cue sheet. First uploaded to TC Feb 2007, and to HC and Dime July 2007, by watchit. Pitch revised Sep 2010; this version uploaded to Dime July 26, 2012 for the 40th anniversary of the concert.

Rolling Stones
July 26, 1972
New York City, Madison Square Garden

01. Brown Sugar
02. Bitch
03. Rocks Off
04. Gimme Shelter
05. Happy
06. Tumbling Dice
07. Love In Vain
08. Sweet Virginia
09. You Can't Always Get What You Want
10. All Down The Line
11. Midnight Rambler
12. introductions
13. Bye Bye Johnny
14. Rip This Joint
15. Jumping Jack Flash (fades out)

_ _ _ _ _ __ _

Forty-fifth Anniversary!

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: July 17, 2017 13:27

exilestones
[wetransfer.com]

Welcome to New York TMOQ vinyl rip

Thanks a lot!

Who's rip? And lineage info would be much appreciated.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: July 17, 2017 14:41

exilestones
[wetransfer.com]

Welcome to New York TMOQ vinyl rip

Thanks for the vinyl rip...

Date: July 17, 2017 20:52

I have no info on the vinyl rip. I got it years ago online. Sorry.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: July 19, 2017 17:15

exilestones
an All Sold Out production

[wetransfer.com]

720726 NEW YORK Welcome to NY by ASO

Thanks!

So your upload is this:

[iorr.org]

with tracks 7-15 even more slowed down, right?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 23, 2017 00:30

Thank you, I must check this against my own vinyl copy, I loved this when it came out

Date: July 26, 2017 05:06

midimannz
Thank you, I must check this against my own vinyl copy, I loved this when it came out

Duh! I must have commented without downloading and now the WE link has expired. Can anyone help with a wetransfer link to this ?

Thanks

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: July 26, 2017 12:14

Date: July 26, 2017 23:56

edwinholland
[we.tl]

Many Thanks edwinholland

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: July 27, 2017 00:50

thumbs up

Posted by: rek53 ()
Date: February 24, 2024 14:06

One of the greatest nights of my life!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home