Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Stylus and Headshell Advice
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 3, 2017 23:37

Hi Folks:

Any advice for a new stylus and headshell? The one I have is over 30 years old. I broke one of the wires to the cartridge. I have a Sony turntable with the locking four prong headshell.

I added the thread here since this is where the recordings and experts hang out.

Thanks,
shattered

Re: OT: New Stylus and Headshell Advice
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: February 4, 2017 16:44

What Sony model number? Curved arm or straight? What make and model number phono cartridge?

Start with those, and a lot of this can be researched on the internet. After 30 years, though, there may be other problems with your table, such as motor speed and worn drive belt (or idler wheel, if direct drive model).

This is a good time for finding new turntable/pre-installed cartridge combinations for under $1,000. (I'm thinking that you want a moving-magnet cartridge, not a lower output moving-coil, which isn't compatible with older electronics in your system.) It's also a good time for finding turntable repair shops that would rehab the whole package. It depends on whether your old Sony is of sufficient quality to keep and repair.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-04 16:54 by andrews27.

Date: February 5, 2017 02:34

andrews27
What Sony model number? Curved arm or straight? What make and model number phono cartridge?

Start with those, and a lot of this can be researched on the internet. After 30 years, though, there may be other problems with your table, such as motor speed and worn drive belt (or idler wheel, if direct drive model).

This is a good time for finding new turntable/pre-installed cartridge combinations for under $1,000. (I'm thinking that you want a moving-magnet cartridge, not a lower output moving-coil, which isn't compatible with older electronics in your system.) It's also a good time for finding turntable repair shops that would rehab the whole package. It depends on whether your old Sony is of sufficient quality to keep and repair.

Hi: It's a Sony PS-350 straight arm with the 107 Signet cartridge moving magnet. Thank you for your response andrews27.

Date: February 5, 2017 20:44

This looks like your PS-350 headshell for $45.00 on e-bay (link below). I'd get that while you can, unless you want to buy a new turntable. Note that the PS-350 has an offset headshell not in line with the tonearm, which means that another model headshell would affect tracking alignment.

Do some internet searching for the Signet replacement stylus, or buy and install a newer moving magnet cartridge, such as an Ortofon Red (about $99.00, replaceable stylus), since you have to change the headshell anyway. You could pay $79.00 for a Signet replacement stylus (see second link), but for $99.00 you'll get better sound out of the Ortofon. That Signet stylus in the link is aftermarket parts, not original manufacture.

See Audio Advisor, Needle Doctor, or MusicDirect online for cartridge deals. There are several Ortofon models to choose from.

[www.ebay.com]

[www.lpgear.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 20:51 by andrews27.

Date: February 6, 2017 06:14

Wow, ok, I fell in love with the Ortofon.

Since only one channel is serviceable, I got to thinking that I better get working what I have so I ordered a set of new leads from the Needle Doctor.

Since I'm going offset to straight, is the Ortofon a plug and play?

Thank you for the info about lpgear since I didn't know that was aftermarket. Maybe that is the reason why the picture didn't show up.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: February 6, 2017 12:03

I never found an Ortofon with a higher range than 20-20.000 Hz and usually you will have to adjust the weight around 4 to 5 gram.

I'm using Shure-systems since the 70s (as of now a M97xE) which I bought for about 150 Euro a few months ago, 20-22.000 Hz, and 1,6 gram only - the less, the better from my point of view as I want to stress my vinyl as less as possible. But no idea if it would fit to a straight arm...

Date: February 6, 2017 15:49

shattered
Wow, ok, I fell in love with the Ortofon.

Since only one channel is serviceable, I got to thinking that I better get working what I have so I ordered a set of new leads from the Needle Doctor.

Since I'm going offset to straight, is the Ortofon a plug and play?

Thank you for the info about lpgear since I didn't know that was aftermarket. Maybe that is the reason why the picture didn't show up.

I'm a bit worried about what your tracking angle is going to be if you go from offset to straight - may affect sound, wear stylus and records, throw off anti-skate. I think you would have been better off buying the headshell Sony designed for that arm.

The Ortofon is not a plug-and-play. Those are shit cartridges and are shittier now that plug-and-play turntables have disappeared. When you say you bought "new leads," is that for the old headshell? Because new leads may not plug in to an older-design headshell, they're made for modern headshells.

As silkcut says, lighter tracking (1.5 - 1 gram) is better, if that really is a problem with the current Ortofons. But I wouldn't buy a Shure. Find a moving magnet design with a replaceable stylus, which is rare these days. I find Shure cartridges to have limited range and be dull sounding, regardless the specs. Lower priced Audio-Technica carts are built for Japanese tastes and are deficient in bass.

PS - OK, I see Ortofon does make a plug-and-play Red model for $156.00, but I would go with the original offset Sony headshell and any MM cartridge with replaceable stylus other than Shure. (I have no problem with a built-in stylus, other than the price and the downtime for retipping.)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-06 17:04 by andrews27.

Date: February 7, 2017 04:42

Hi andrews27: I read the reviews on the leads and I may have to do some "adjustments" on both ends for the old shell. I'm tracking at 1.2 and after I get the leads installed and both channels working, I'll follow your advice and use the offset. You are on it and I appreciate the feedback. The needle doctor...I can ride my bike over there so I can get some face-to-face advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home