Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: help needed, turntable advice.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 20:58

Hello everyone, im in the process of trying to decide what kind of vinyl turntable to buy, not wanting anything really expensive, so im pulled towards the cheaper end of the market and was hoping for some advice.

Im just looking for a turntable that takes mainly 33 and 45,s, converts vinyl and/or cd to usb or mp3, has built in speakers and a headphone socket but with a loud enough sound system.

Was wondering if anyone has bought something similar from amazon or the like and what would they recommend. Ive seen many on amazon but just cant make my mind up, is it better doing the cheaper end of the market or do i really need to splash out to get decent quality and what should i avoid.

hoping to restart my stones vinyl collection and dig out old vinyl.

cheers in advance for any info given.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 22:07 by bv.

Re: semi OT, help needed, turntable advice.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 13, 2017 22:07

You're describing the Jensen JTA 230 which is probably one of the turntables you saw. Only thing is you cannot upgrade the needle so be careful with your old records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-13 22:08 by Koen.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 13, 2017 23:19

I read this article recently since I'm looking to do the same thing:

2016 Best Turntables

Hope it helps!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 23:50

cheers, hope i make the right decision now.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 14, 2017 01:42

buttons67
Hello everyone, im in the process of trying to decide what kind of vinyl turntable to buy, not wanting anything really expensive, so im pulled towards the cheaper end of the market and was hoping for some advice.

Im just looking for a turntable that takes mainly 33 and 45,s, converts vinyl and/or cd to usb or mp3, has built in speakers and a headphone socket but with a loud enough sound system.

Was wondering if anyone has bought something similar from amazon or the like and what would they recommend. Ive seen many on amazon but just cant make my mind up, is it better doing the cheaper end of the market or do i really need to splash out to get decent quality and what should i avoid.

hoping to restart my stones vinyl collection and dig out old vinyl.

cheers in advance for any info given.

IMHO there is not a cheap turntable you can buy with built in speakers that will not damage your LP's after several plays. what is your budget?

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 14, 2017 03:34

got a technics from early 80;s, just perfect smiling smiley
no need for usb and things, play the records smiling smiley)

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: January 14, 2017 03:35

if i see a dual somewhere i will get that smiling smiley))

Date: January 14, 2017 03:36

not mine, but got this one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 03:37 by MononoM.

Date: January 14, 2017 03:38

my dad did throw away this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 03:39 by MononoM.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2017 14:27

Date: January 14, 2017 15:01

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-19 22:31 by blueswithafeeling.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: January 14, 2017 19:51

Can you recommend a techniques model & receiver. Thanks

Date: January 14, 2017 21:55

The Pro-ject Debut III RecordMaster is the only mid-tier high fidelity record player / turntable that I have heard of with a USB outpout.

* [www.project-audio.com] *

It also has electronic speed control switching between 33 RPM and 45 RPM. You can also use it to play 78's if you change the drive belt and the stylus to an OM78.

Additionally,it has a built-in phono pre-amplifier which eliminates the need to purchase an outboard phono stage pre-amp.

It's a step above the Audio-Technica units mentioned in the "WireCutter" review linked above. More on par with the Rega RP1 (only with more convenience features) which they admit has better sound quality despite not making it the first choice because of (I guess) price .... which is not even that steep for people looking for good sound quality.

Most USB turntables are poor and cheap with bad sound quality but not the Pro-ject Debut III RecordMaster.

Recording the audio through the analog RCA jacks is also always an option with any turntable. You could just run the RCA connection into a receiver with a phono stage input and then connect the receiver's stereo RCA output jacks into a computer with the appropriate software or other recording device. (Just make sure that the phone stage inputs match the turntable's cartridge ... magnet type or coil type.)

I would forget about built-in speakers. That set-up will never be as good as outboard speakers. You could go with powered speakers if you are on a budget. Or,you could go with hi-fi , non-powered speakers in combination with an amplifier / receiver. You will have to have a phono stage somewhere. Either built-in to the turntable,a separate unit,or built into a receiver.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 14, 2017 21:59

MononoM
got a technics from early 80;s, just perfect smiling smiley
no need for usb and things, play the records smiling smiley)

I have one too, but I could never figure out how to properly adjust the weight. Back in the day there was no internet to show you and everyone would just say turn it, but I wanted perfection not guesses, I can guess myself.

Re: OT: help needed, turntable advice.
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 14, 2017 23:43

Related, but a different tack: I have an old BSR turntable and a JVC turntable. Both were jacked into either a Marantz stereo receiver or Hitachi receiver (both of which I still have) with the connections for RCA plugs (1/4 inch) in the back of the receivers. The question: How can I use these turntables to load analog (vinyl) onto a computer? Do I need to jack the receivers to the computer in some way? Is there a convertor apparatus?

I was given an ION USB connection turntable a few years ago, but I put it away after a few tries at recording vinyl to the computer. Is it worth trying to hook it up again and record vinyl albums to the computer's hard drive? A daunting task for sure, since I have close to 2000 vinyl albums and they would need to be played and loaded into the computer at the normal playing time for the albums. It's why I currently play vinyl albums on an old Magnavox console hi-fi I have.

All help, suggestions, etc., appreciated.

Date: January 15, 2017 01:18

dmay
Related, but a different tack: I have an old BSR turntable and a JVC turntable. Both were jacked into either a Marantz stereo receiver or Hitachi receiver (both of which I still have) with the connections for RCA plugs (1/4 inch) in the back of the receivers. The question: How can I use these turntables to load analog (vinyl) onto a computer? Do I need to jack the receivers to the computer in some way? Is there a convertor apparatus?

I was given an ION USB connection turntable a few years ago, but I put it away after a few tries at recording vinyl to the computer. Is it worth trying to hook it up again and record vinyl albums to the computer's hard drive? A daunting task for sure, since I have close to 2000 vinyl albums and they would need to be played and loaded into the computer at the normal playing time for the albums. It's why I currently play vinyl albums on an old Magnavox console hi-fi I have.

All help, suggestions, etc., appreciated.

It depends on which output connection jacks are on the back of the receiver(s) and which input connection jacks are on your computer. This part is simple. Just match them up.

If your computer has an RCA style (red and white) set of input jacks,that is the first option. If it has a 3.5mm auxiliary input jack,use a 2 RCA to 3.5mm AUX cable like this : [www.audioadvisor.com] or this (on the cheap) : [www.amazon.com] ..... or Atlas Cable, Cardas , BetterCables , StraightWire , QED , and Kimber Kable also make good ones.

Date: January 15, 2017 01:34

For software , Audacity should do the trick on Linux , Windows , and Mac.

With Linux , it can also be done just using the command terminal.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 14, 2017 13:45

If you have some money left...................

[www.whathifi.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home