Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: cassette archive preview (expertise needed on unknown track!)
Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: June 1, 2016 18:56

I have (over time) spent the last few months cataloging and converting the next 36 cassettes of the "kitoise archive" - I will be posting 9 a week starting next week.
All well and good but on one of the tapes (of the last tranche), this particular piece is itemised on the contents..."Chicago instr.blues jam '66'
As usual, I checked Nico Zentgraf's site and found this this entry..."660710B 10th or 11th July: Chicago. Jam-session with Jimmy Reed"
Major excitement - I am a big Jimmy Reed fan and had no idea they had even met Jimmy Reed, never mind jammed with him!!

But then, caution set in - surely this can't be true - why have I never seen this before? Is it the real thing?
The tape is around 30 years old so definitely 'not' a recent mock-up - and tbh why should it be?!
Checked with a couple of people - Surrey Rehearsals was suggested but I can't place it.

Anyway, there is 1 minute of chat before the song starts - and "The Stones" are discussing with "Jimmy" when he should come in with his harmonica...
The volume is very low here and needs to be turned right up to hear this section.
I don't think the pitch or something is quite right here too - an old recording, of course...
WARNING: the volume returns to normal when somebody starts counting in to the start of the tune...

Done some initial research and nothing has come up...the intro/tune is attached.
So - can anybody tell me if this is ok, a rarity, a misidentified track - or a well known outtake and where have I been all these years! smiling smiley

Thanks for listening (mp3 preview from the flac original).
[www.wetransfer.com]

Cheers.

Re: POST: cassette archive preview (expertise needed on unknown track!)
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 1, 2016 20:58

Thank you for providing this preview Zagalo. After listening, it sounds more like an end of the sixties or beginning of the seventies jam to me. It has that feel to me anyway. And the bass isn't from Bill I think. Sounds like a nice jam, but it is difficult for my ears to pinpoint any specific Rolling Stones involvment in the jam. It could be of course, but this is my initial opinion.

Date: June 2, 2016 00:17

Thanks for your input - I agree with what you are hearing...the bass sound,style, etc...
Tomorrow, I will try and isolate the conversation better; it could be (for example) James 'Jimmy' Cotton as the harmonica player...who knows...just putting it out there!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 2, 2016 11:08

The quality of that harmonica playing is not the greatest, James Cotton was a better player than that.

When did the wah-wah pedal hit the States?

I can't make out what's being said, but the tone of the first voice reminds me of Brian

Posted by: stone3009 ()
Date: June 2, 2016 15:15

only a thouht:
at the evening of 2nd July, after the concert at Forest Hills Tennis Stadiums, the stones went to a club and see little known Jimi Hendrix, in this time called Jimmy James, who played with Jimmy James and the Blue Flames. (source: Bill Wyman, stone-alone)

According to Wikipedia: "By May 1966, Hendrix was struggling to earn a living wage playing the R&B circuit, so he briefly rejoined Curtis Knight and the Squires for an engagement at one of New York City's most popular nightspots, the Cheetah Club.[94] During a performance, Linda Keith, the girlfriend of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, noticed Hendrix. She remembered: "[His] playing mesmerised me". She invited him to join her for a drink; he accepted and the two became friends.While he was playing with Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, Keith recommended Hendrix to Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham and producer Seymour Stein. They failed to see Hendrix's musical potential, and rejected him."

The time fits: Could it be a Jam with Keith and Jimi?

Date: June 3, 2016 14:44

I wasn't being entirely serious about James Cotton - just trying to encourage further listening winking smiley
More of a sort of Jimmy Reed style - but having increased the volume of the discussion, I don't think it is him either...
...but still can't really hear anything specific for identification purposes except the mentions of Mick and Jimmy...

Interesting thoughts re Jimi Hendrix...possible...
Martin Elliott's book says "Linda Keith fell in love with Hendrix, introducing him to Chas Chandler in July. Hendrix moved to London in September, with one of Keith's guitars, and his solo career commenced"

The concern for me is that none of my books/internet research mentions any sessions with Jimmy Reed (except Nico) or Jimi Hendrix...but will keep looking!

Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 14:58 by Zagalo.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 5, 2016 07:10

This sounds much more like the mid-70s to me. Specifically Black and Blue sessions or 75 Tour rehearsals.Especially the bass (which could also be Ron Wood or Keith)

The sound is characteristic of something like the first version of Slave. Similar 'texture' to that.The wah-wah guitar too, reminds me of Come On, Sugar (Let's Do It Right).

I also slowed the playback down to 0.92.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 5, 2016 09:43

Possibly just an excerpt of the Rotterdam recording rehearsals/"Great Guitarist Hunt" in early 1975 if which ca. 5-6 hours exist (most of the stuff released on a Goldplate 4CD set)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 09:44 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: June 7, 2016 02:42

Both good calls...if I could 'recognise' Jimi/Jimmy, life would be a whole lot easier
I will have a trawl through the B&B sessions recordings to check on possibilities...
The only Rotterdam recordings I heard were much worse quality...time for a look through Stonesvault if there is a good one... cool smiley
Cheers.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: June 7, 2016 22:40

It's a Jimmy Reed style harp!

At RCA Studios, Los Angeles, August 27 1978 the Stones played a Jimmy Reed cover "My First Plea" (4 versions) and also "Jimmy Reed Jam".
>> Vocals/Guitar Keith Richards, Harmonica Mick Jagger, Piano Ian Stewart, bass probably Ron Wood <<
You could find these tracks on "From Paris to L.A." (Yellow Cat Records).
Maybe the song you're asking for is from the same sessions but I couldn't identify the song. I think they talk about Jimmy Reed during their discussion.
I do not believe that this is from Jam-session with Jimmy Reed on 10th or 11th July 1966 in Chicago.

[en.wikipedia.org] :
"The Rolling Stones have cited Reed as a major influence on their sound, and their early set lists included Reed's songs "Ain't That Lovin' You Baby", "The Sun Is Shining" (played by the Stones at the 1969 Altamont concert), "Bright Lights, Big City" and "Shame, Shame, Shame". The B-side of their February 1964 hit single "Not Fade Away" was a pastiche of "Shame, Shame, Shame", entitled "Little by Little". Their first album, The Rolling Stones (subtitled England's Newest Hit Makers in America), released in April 1964, featured "Little by Little" and their cover version of Reed's "Honest I Do" "

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-08 00:06 by werther2003.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 13, 2016 03:28

Zagalo
Both good calls...if I could 'recognise' Jimi/Jimmy, life would be a whole lot easier
I will have a trawl through the B&B sessions recordings to check on possibilities...
The only Rotterdam recordings I heard were much worse quality...time for a look through Stonesvault if there is a good one... cool smiley
Cheers.

The quality on those is pretty much the same throughout. I don't think it's from those tapes specifically, but from that era.

Date: June 14, 2016 01:30

Good call again - and it is a jimmy Reed style harp - but, as you say, there is really no match on these sessions. That bass line is quite distinct...

werther2003
It's a Jimmy Reed style harp!

At RCA Studios, Los Angeles, August 27 1978 the Stones played a Jimmy Reed cover "My First Plea" (4 versions) and also "Jimmy Reed Jam".
>> Vocals/Guitar Keith Richards, Harmonica Mick Jagger, Piano Ian Stewart, bass probably Ron Wood <<
You could find these tracks on "From Paris to L.A." (Yellow Cat Records).
Maybe the song you're asking for is from the same sessions but I couldn't identify the song. I think they talk about Jimmy Reed during their discussion.
I do not believe that this is from Jam-session with Jimmy Reed on 10th or 11th July 1966 in Chicago.

[en.wikipedia.org] :
"The Rolling Stones have cited Reed as a major influence on their sound, and their early set lists included Reed's songs "Ain't That Lovin' You Baby", "The Sun Is Shining" (played by the Stones at the 1969 Altamont concert), "Bright Lights, Big City" and "Shame, Shame, Shame". The B-side of their February 1964 hit single "Not Fade Away" was a pastiche of "Shame, Shame, Shame", entitled "Little by Little". Their first album, The Rolling Stones (subtitled England's Newest Hit Makers in America), released in April 1964, featured "Little by Little" and their cover version of Reed's "Honest I Do" "

Date: June 14, 2016 01:34

It has that late sixties/early seventies type sound (to my ears anyway) but...
..I will have a listen to Jimmy Reed's later stuff on Bluesway onwards...you never know...

JMARKO
Zagalo
Cheers.

The quality on those is pretty much the same throughout. I don't think it's from those tapes specifically, but from that era.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 18, 2016 20:18

Happy to read a new batch of cassettetransfers from the Kitoise archive is coming up. Thanks for the transfer and upload. :-)

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: June 21, 2016 16:59

Yes, on the way...delayed from last week due to urgent personal/business stuff plus 5 gigs in 10 days...recovery time (at my age) required cool smiley

First batch of 9 cassettes (of 36) on the way tomorrow, all being well...

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: June 21, 2016 21:44

Link is dead, would some one repost, please?

Date: June 22, 2016 22:03

Zagalo
Yes, on the way...delayed from last week due to urgent personal/business stuff plus 5 gigs in 10 days...recovery time (at my age) required cool smiley

First batch of 9 cassettes (of 36) on the way tomorrow, all being well...

Much appreciated! Take your time.

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: June 23, 2016 02:02

sbetz
Link is dead, would some one repost, please?

Here it is, speed adjusted and converted to wav:

[we.tl]

www.rsundercover.eu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home