Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Has anyone got the Mayflower discs?
Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: September 5, 2014 14:37

Curious about these, but haven´t found a single review anywhere.

Studio Sessions 1961-1963
Beggar´s Banquet Sessions
Let It Bleed Sessions and
Sticky Fingers Sessions

-They do look good...but how´s the sound?

Since they´re quite pricey it would be good to know about Mayflower´s quality control.

Cheers!

- Apologies. Meant this for the tell me list

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 17:06 by Mikael.

Re: Has anyone got the Mayflower discs?
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: September 5, 2014 20:15

THE STICKY FINGERS SESSIONS
Label: Mayflower MF 22-23
Sources: Disc One, Tracks 1-13 and Disc Two, Track 18: Muscle Shoals St. Florence, Alabama 2-4 December 1969, Track 14: Olympic St. London 18th Dec.1969, Tracks 3: Olympic St. London & Stargroves, Newbury March-June 1970; Disc Two, Tracks 1-5: Olympic St. London 14th -27th July 1970, Tracks 6-17: Stargroves, Newbury 17th -31st Oct.1970; Track 19: Leeds University 13th March 1971.
Format: 2 picture cds.
Running time: 71.14/76.04
Sound source: Soundboard stereo except for Disc One,Track 17 and Disc Two, Tracks 3,11,17,19: mono.
Packaging: Double Slimline Jewelcase.
By riccar99
Sound: 9.5 / Packaging 9 / Performance 10
TRACK LIST:
Disc One: 1. You Gotta Move, 2. You Gotta Move, 3. Brown Sugar, 4. Brown Sugar, 5. Brown Sugar, 7. Brown Sugar, 8. Wild Horses, 9. Wild Horses, 10. Wild Horses, 11. Wild Horses , 12. Wild Horses , 13. Wild Horses , 14. Brown Sugar, 15. Dancing In The Light, 16. Dead Flowers, 17. @#$%& Blues, 18. Leather Jacket.
Disc Two: 1. All Down The Line, 2. Who Am I?, 3. I m Going Down, 4. Shine A Light (a.k.a. Can t Seem To Get A Line On You), 5. Shine A Light, 6. Trident Jam (a.k.a. Prefab), 7. Stop Breaking Down, 8. Tumbling Dice (a.k.a. Good Time Women), 9. Shake Your Hips (a.k.a. Hip Shake), 10. Potted Shrimp, 11. All Down The Line, 12. So Divine (a.k.a. Aladdin Story), 13. Bitch, 14. Travellin Man, 15. Sway, 16. Sweet Virginia, 17. Silver Train, 18. Brown Sugar (not on cover), 19. Let It Rock.

REVIEW:
This recent release from Mayflower presents the sessions from 19769 through October 1970 generally known as Sticky Fingers Sessions (hence this collection s name) but that have songs that will end up further on in the Stones history from Exile through Goat s Head Soup. Disc One has a number of tracks from Muscle Shoals Studios, beginning with two versions of You Gotta Move, the second of which is actually the one mixed later in London. Then 5 versions of Brown Sugar ranging from the first one with lead vocals but without lead guitar allegedly recorded on December 3rd to the alternate version recorded on December 4th without sax to the alternate version found on the first pressings of Hot Rocks 2LP compilation to a version that features Bobby Keys sax from 1.42 mixed in April 1970 in London and finally a version with less acoustic guitar again mixed in London on April 24th 1970. 6 versions of Wild Horses follow and here we have the demo given to Gram parson with Jim Dickinson on tack piano and an instrumental (known to be a fake) from December 4th 1969, the alternate version to be found on Hot Rocks, an alternate mix with piano, a version that features Sneaky Pete Kleinow on pedal steel and Leon Russell on organ overdubs. After the well know Brown Sugar version cut at Olympic Studios on 18th December 1969 with Eric Clapton we get then some tracks recorded at London s Olympic Studios and Stargroves in Newbury from March through June 1970: two instrumentals Dancing in the Light and Leather Jacket, a less slide guitar and piano version of Dead Flowers and the usual @#$%& Blues which has nothing to do with Sticky Fingers. Side Two opens with some tracks recorded from 14th through 27th July 1970 at the Olympic Studios in London: All Down The Line electric version, Who Am I? and I m Going Down followed by two versions of Shine A Light. Then there are the Stargroves sessions from October 1970 that features Trident Jam, So Divine, Potted Shrimp and Travellin Man instrumentals, Stop Breaking Down, Tumbling Dice, Shake Your Hips and All Down The Line (slow electric version) together with the alternate mix of Bitch, Sway (b side of the Wild Horses single released on June 12th 1971 that has a different version of the song, Sweet Virginia without backing vocals and Silver Train; the second disc ends with an instrumental version of Brown Sugar in great stereo which is not listed on the back cover and Let It Rock from Leeds 1971 concert. Apart from some known fallacies like the Wild Horses instrumental fake and inconsistencies like @#$%& Blues and Let It Rock it must be said that this release presents an optimum sound output which is very consistent throughout making this compilation of outtakes/alternates an enjoyable experience for Stones fans and collectors. Packaging is kind of unimpressive as both front and back cover are almost totally in black and white and show the known Sticky Fingers cover, it does have an OBI as all Japan products and the discs are picture discs though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-08 18:04 by riccardo99.

Has anyone got the Mayflower discs?
Date: September 5, 2014 17:00

Curious about these, but haven´t found a single review anywhere.

Studio Sessions 1961-1963
Beggar´s Banquet Sessions
Let It Bleed Sessions and
Sticky Fingers Sessions

-They do look good...but how´s the sound? Since they´re quite pricey it would be good to know about Mayflower´s quality control. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 17:07 by Mikael.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 5, 2014 17:09

Sorry, no help with this post.

[cdn.giginjapan.com]

Is this the Sticky Fingers you are looking at? If so, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to hear a sample before buying.

Date: September 6, 2014 14:17

Thanks Riccardo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-06 14:18 by Mikael.

Date: September 8, 2014 18:05

ROLLING STONES: STUDIO SESSIONS 61-63 CD

Label: Mayflower MF 45
Source: Tracks 1-12: Bexleyheath and Dartford late 1961-1962, Track 13: Curly Clayton St. London 27 October 62, Tracks 14-18: IBC Studios, Portland Place London 11 March 63, Tracks 19,20: Decca St. West Hamstead London 9-16 July 63, Track 21: De Lane Lea St. Holborn, London 14 Nov.63, Track 22: Pye St. London 6 Febr.64, Tracks 23,24 Regent St. London Oct..63, Tracks 25-31: Regent St. London 20-21 Nov.63, Track 32: Regent St. London 2 Jan. 64 (cover says Dec.63), Track 33: Regent St. London 14 Jan.64 (cover says Dec.63)
Format: 1 picture cd
Running time: 76.13
Sound source: Soundboard mono except for Track 19: Soundboard stereo
Packaging: Single Jewel case
By riccar99
Sound: 9 / Packaging 10 / Performance 10
TRACK LIST:
1. Around And Around, 2. Little Queenie, 3. Beautiful Delilah, 4. Go On Your Way To School /Wee Baby Blues, 5. I Ain t Got You, 6. I m Left You re Right She s Gone, 7. Down The Road Apiece, 8. Don t Want No Woman, 9. Johnny B.Goode, 10. Little Queenie, 11. Beautiful Delilah, 12. La Bamba, 13. You Can t Judge A Book By The Cover, 14. Roadrunner, 15. Diddley Daddy, 16. I Want To Be Loved, 17. Baby What s Wrong With You (Honey What s Wrong), 18. Bright Lights, Big City, 19. Fortune Teller, 20. Posion Ivy, 21. Go Home Girl, 22. Rice Krispies Jingle, 23. Lonely Weekends, 24. Secret Love, 25. My Only Girl, 26. Leave Me Alone, 27. You Will Be My Lover Tonight, 28. It Should Be You, 29. It Should Be You, 30. Medley: You Just Made My Day-I m Relyin On You-You Must Be The One-So Much In Love-Give Me Your Hand-Shang A Doo Lang-When A Girl Loves A Boy-No One Knows, 31. Shang A Doo Lang, 32. 365 Rolling Stones (One Every Day Of The Year), 33. I Do Like To See Me On The B Side.

REVIEW:
This release marks the first in a series that Mayflower seems to have the intention to publish in the near future (1964 Sessions has already been released) whose intention is to cover all Stones outtakes year by year. The first one is this one that starts with the Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys tracks, recorded at Bob Beckwith s home at Bexleyheath and at Dick Taylor s home at Dartford in late 61 and early 62. This is the embryo version of the Stones with Jagger and Richards, Dick Taylor, Bob Beckwith and Alan Etherington, reel to reel recordings that have surfaced over the years and shed some light on the early London rhythm and blues scene; it is interesting to hear Jagger s vocal style, already mature and funny to hear his version of You re Left, I m Right, She s Gone mocking Elivis Presley. The next song is the only one available from Curly Clayton Studios sessions with Brian Jones and Ian Stewart added to the core, a song broadcasted in 1995 on the Danny Baker show by Chris Jagger who had the acetate before it went to the auction (it ended up in Mick Jagger s possession). The well known tracks from IBC Studios in March 63, officially released in the Grrr! Compilation feature all the 5 Stones as for the two songs recorded at Decca Studios are Fortune Teller without harmonica and Poison Ivy without percussions during the chorus, both released on More Hot Rocks cd. Go Home Girl stems from a session produced by Andrew Oldham in November 63 The Rice Krispies jingle was actually recorded in February 64 with Glyn John as sound engineer. Two tracks recorded for George Bean stem from a session which should be from early October (since the single came out the same month) in 63, these tracks were first suggested having some Stones players playing on the French cd Connections that came out with Jukebox magazine. It is not certain, but certainly the rhythm guitar sounds very close to Keith Richards as it is similar to his early style. Next is the song that was the early version of That Girl Belongs To Yesterday given to Gene Pitney; then there are a bunch of snippets of songs mixed up in a medley, songs the Stones recorded as demos for other artists that at times used them as backing (George Bean, Adrienne Poster, the Greenbeats, the Mighty Avengers etc.). The last two songs come from the Andrew Oldham Orchestra but involve some members of the Stones as well. The sound of this disc is very good, despite the fact that the Little Boy Blue tracks had no bass on it, they are anyway presented in quite good shape, packaging is nice although the photos are a bit dark, inside the front cover there are covers of other Mayflower discs including the forthcoming Studio Sessions 64.

Date: September 9, 2014 23:11

ROLLING STONES: BEGGARS BANQUET SESSIONS 3CD

Label: Mayflower MF 42-44
Source: Tracks 1-11: Olympic Studios, London 23rd March 68; Track 12: Olympic St. London 25th March 68, Track 13: Twickenham St. London 10 Dec.68; Tracks 14,15: Olympic St. London 29 March 68; Track 16: Olympic St.London 31st March 68; Track 17: Olympic St.London 3 April 68. Disc Two, Tracks 1,2: Olympic St. London 20 April 68, Track 3: Olympic St. London 27 April 68, Tracks 4-16: Olympic St. London 13th -23rd May 68, Track 17: Sunset Sound St. Los Angeles 13th -23rd May 68, Track 18: Redlands, West Wittering Febr.-July 68/ Olympic St. London 17th March-3rd Apr.68/Newbury, Stargroves Oct.70. Disc Three, Tracks 1-10: Olympic St. 4th-10th June 68, Tracks 11,12: Olympic St. London 28th June 68, Track 13confused smileyunset Sound St. Los Angeles 7th -25th July 68, Tracks 14,15: London Sept.70,Tracks 15-17: Olympic St.London 17th Nov. 68.
FORMAT: 3 picture cds.
Running time: 73.45/71.19/76.04
Sound source: Soundboard stereo except for Disc One, Track 13, Disc Two, Tracks 2,3,7,10 and Disc Three, Track 10: Soundboard mono.
Packaging: Fatboy case with OBI
By riccar99

Sound: 10/ Packaging 10 / Performance 10

TRACK LIST:
Disc One: 1. Jigsaw Puzzle #1, 2. Jigsaw Puzzle #2, 3. Jigsaw Puzzle #3-5, 4. Jigsaw Puzzle #6, 5. Jigsaw Puzzle #7,8, 6. Jigsaw Puzzle #9, 7. Jigsaw Puzzle #10, 8. Jigsaw Puzzle #11, 9. Jigsaw Puzzle #12, 10. Jigsaw Puzzle # 13, 11. Jigsaw Puzzle #14, 12. Parachute Woman, 13. Parachute Woman, 14. Child Of The Moon, 15. Child Of The Moon, 16. (Did Everybody) Pay Their Dues/Pay Your Dues/Street Fighting Man, 17. Stray Cat Blues.
Disc Two: 1. Jumping Jack Flash, 2. Jumping Jack Flash, 3. Jumping Jack Flash, 4. Street Fighting Man, 5. No Expectations #1, 6. No Expectations #2, 7. No Expectations, 8. Factory Girl, 9. Dear Doctor #1, 10. Dear Doctor #2 11. Dear Doctor #3, 12. Family, 13. Blood Red Wine, 14.Still A Fool /Catfish/Two Trains Blues, 15.Give Me A Hamburger To Go/Stuck Out All Alone, 16. Prodigal Son, 17. Jigsaw Puzzle, 18. Highway Child/Highway Bound/The Vulture.
Disc Three: 1.Sympathy For The Devil#1, 2. Sympathy For The Devil#3, 3. Sympathy For The Devil #4, 4. Sympathy For The Devil #4, 5. .Sympathy For The Devil #5, 6, 6. Sympathy For The Devil #7, 7. Sympathy For The Devil #8, 8. Sympathy For The Devil #9, 9. London Jam, 10. Untitled Jam, 11. Family, 12. Family, 13. Salt Of The Earth, 14. Memo From Turner, 15. Memo From Turner, 16. Memo From Turner, 17. Memo From Turner, 18. Memo From Turner.

REVIEW:
Mayflower label seems to be actively involved in revisiting the Stones past recordings, here we have Beggar s Banquet revisited in 3 discs that present the best outtakes from those 1968 recording sessions. The first disc opens with all 14 takes of Jigsaw Puzzle recorded on March 23rd of that year; they are all instrumental takes (except for track 9 that starts with Jagger singing some verses from At the Hop) featuring Keith Richards on slide guitar and Nicky Hopkins on piano driving the main song s theme, though in my opinion Keith Richards plays also the bass on tracks 6-10. Nicky Hopkins creative piano playing can be fully experienced in Track 8 where he really let his fingers run free. Next come a couple of versions of Parachute Woman, early mix and the rehearsal version from Rock n Roll Circus followed by two instrumental takes of Child Of The Moon, the first one acoustic, the notorious first version of Street Fighting Man and finally the longer Stray Cat Blues that closes the first disc. Disc Two opens with three versions of Jumping Jack Flash (which of course has nothing to do with Beggars Banquet), the first being the backing track and then two more taken from the promo single and film followed by three takes of No Expectations, the first two acoustic, Factory Girl with Rick Grech s fiddle mix and the notorious three takes of Dear Doctor. After the electric version of Family there are a bunch of outtakes known with different names Blood Red Wine, Still A Fool (Catfish/Two Train Blues), Give Me A Hamburger To Go (Stuck Out All Alone) and the early mix of Prodigal Son with foot stomp on the left channel. The disc ends with a version of Jigsaw Puzzle that features vocals overdubs and another well known outtake Highway Child a.k.a. Highway Bound (most likely recorded at Redlands in February) although on booklet it is referred to The Volture which was allegedly recorded in 1969. The third disc opens with 8 versions of Sympathy For The Devil all taken from the One Plus One soundtrack as well as the first jam presented here; the second jam called Untitled jam, all well known music that has acquired more brilliance due to digital transfer. Two versions of Family, the early take of Salt Of The Earth and 5 takes of Memo From Turner (again no connection to Beggars Banquet) end this disc. This release cannot be defined the definitive Beggars Banquet sessions as the ads claimed, but it has certainly different songs than the average compilations like this and a great sound output.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: September 9, 2014 23:19

Anybody got THE STICKY FINGERS SESSIONS to share ?

Date: April 2, 2017 14:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-14 11:08 by blueswithafeeling.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 2, 2017 15:21

blueswithafeeling
What happened with the Mayflower label? No new release in more than a year and still some numbers not released (87-90, 99-100). Is the label dead?

No. They have just released a 5CD with most outtakes and rarities up to the Between The Buttons sessions. Unfortunately without the new versions of Mother's Little Helper and 19th Nervous Breakdown as well as the As Tears Go By and Congratulations snippets.

Posted by: joemusic1958 ()
Date: April 4, 2017 07:04

Could so meone e mail me privately with a dealer for the Mayflower 5 cd set? Thanks

Posted by: joemusic1958 ()
Date: April 10, 2017 02:18

Can someone please email me privately on a source for Mayflower cds ? Especially interested in the Between the Buttons outtakes smiling smiley)
Thanks
Joemusic aka Tim
<tdsailtx @yahoo.com>

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: April 15, 2017 22:18

I would be interested in a link for these too

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home