Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dancing in the Street - Instrumental
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:18

Dancing in the Streets

I don't think the Jagger/Bowie "Dancing in the Street(s)" intstrumental ever made it to CD/digital?

The single "Dancing in the Street" with the a-side Bob Clearmountian Mix was released with the "Dancing in the Street" Instrumental version on the b-side of the 7" single. The music on the single's B-side wasn't the same as the A-side. I particularly like the extra guitar work on the intro. I'd love to have all of the versions of "Dancing in the Street" digitally, especially the instrumental.

David Bowie performing at Live Aid 1985

Side A :
1- Dancing In The Street (Clearmountain Mix) 3'07 *

Side B :
2- Dancing In The Street (Instrumental) 3'17

Then there was the 12 inch releases which included:

Side A :
1- Dancing In The Street (Steve Thompson Mix) 4'40 *

Side B :
2- Dancing In The Street (Dub Version) 4'41 *
3- Dancing In The Street 3'24 *

[3.bp.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 20:38 by exilestones.

Re: Dancing in the Street - Instrumental
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:36

"Dancing In The Street" was issued on "The Very Best Of Mick Jagger".
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:46

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 20:15 by Godxofxrock9.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 28, 2014 20:53

The version that was used for the first broadcast of the song has never made it to vinyl/cd.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2014 01:26

Who was playing with them, the Hall & Oats band?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:50

According to Nico Zentgraf's website, the backing track was recorded by:

Kevin Armstrong (gtr)/G.E. Smith (gtr) Earl Slick (gtr)/Matthew Seligman (bass)/John Regan (bass)/Neil Conti (dr)/
Pedro Ortiz (perc)/Jimmy Naelen (perc)/Nac Gollehon (tp)/Stan Harrison
(sax)/Lenny Pickett (sax)/Steve Niewe (keyb)/Helena Springs & Tessa
Niles (bvoc)

The version used for the Live Aid broadcast didn't include the brass parts. Those were added later for the single release.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 29, 2014 10:04

Single version, Steve Thompson mix and dub mix were digitally re-released some years ago : [www.qobuz.com]

Date: March 29, 2014 20:13

Great information. Thank you.

It would be nice to have a "Dancing in the Streets" album with all of the versions. I don't think the "Dancing in the Streets" Instrumental version ever appeared anywhere but on the vinyl 7" single.

Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

version was done by Mick Jagger and David Bowie as a duo in 1985, as part of the Live Aid charity movement. The original plan was to perform a track together live, with Bowie performing at Wembley Stadium and Jagger at John F. Kennedy Stadium, until it was realized that the satellite link-up would cause a half-second delay that would make this impossible unless either Bowie or Jagger mimed their contribution, something neither artist was willing to do. In 1968 Jagger and Keith Richards had already "borrowed" a line from the song in "Street Fighting Man" - "Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy."

In June 1985, Bowie was recording his contributions to the Absolute Beginners soundtrack at Abbey Road Studios, and so Jagger arranged to fly in to record the track there. A rough mix of the track was completed in just four hours, at which point the pair went straight out to London Docklands to film a video with director David Mallet. Thirteen hours after the start of recording, this also was completed. Jagger arranged for some minor musical overdubs with Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero in New York.

The video was shown twice at the Live Aid event. Soon afterwards the track was issued as a single, with all profits going to the charity. "Dancing in the Street" topped the UK charts for four weeks, and reached number seven in the United States. Bowie and Jagger would perform the song once more, at the Prince's Trust Concert on June 20, 1986. The song has been featured since on several Bowie compilations.

It was also shown in movie theaters before showings of Ruthless People, for which Jagger had recorded the theme song. It was the first instance in which a promotional clip was used outside of MTV or broadcast television.[citation needed]

In a survey conducted by PRS for Music, the song was voted as the top song the British public would play at street parties in celebration of the 2011 Royal Wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William.[3]

In the May 2011 episode "Foreign Affairs", the nineteenth episode of the ninth season of Family Guy, the music video is played in its entirety as one of the show's trademark cutaway gags.[4]

Track listing[edit]

7": EMI America / EA 204 United Kingdom[edit]
"Dancing in the Street" (Clearmountain Mix) – 3:07
"Dancing in the Street" (instrumental) – 3:17

12": EMI America / 12EA 204 United Kingdom[edit]

"Dancing in the Street" (Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero Mix) – 4:40
"Dancing in the Street" (dub version) – 4:41
"Dancing in the Street" (edit) – 3:24

Live Aid[edit]
Produced by Alan Winstanley and Clive Langer
Lead vocals: David Bowie and Mick Jagger
Guitar: Kevin Armstrong, G.E. Smith and Earl Slick
Bass: Matthew Seligman and John Regan
Drums: Neil Conti
Percussion: Pedro Ortiz and Jimmy Maclean
Trumpet: Mac Gollehon
Saxophone: Stan Harrison and Lenny Pickett
Keyboards: Steve Nieve
Backing vocals: Helena Springs and Tessa Niles

==========

WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT STYLE FROM BOWIE AND JAGGER'S "DANCING IN THE STREET"

By Dashing Barnett

The biggest lesson I learned about style and possibly, the universe, from Bowie and Jagger's seminal 1985 cover, was that as long as you fully commit to something, you can probably sell it with jazz hands. Take two aging rock icons, mix in some PJs, some alarming dance maneuvers and, just for spice, a spritz of sexual frisson and you have their promo for "Dancing In The Street."

No matter how rushed the production was, and it was—after four hours spent recording the song, they went to shoot this video, wrapping at dawn—Bowie and Jagger's commitment to their performance transcends the lack of planning and costume changes.

By 1985, musicians of their era were starting to show definite signs of ageing. They had kids, financial advisors, and MTV was pumping out younger, faster rockstars each and every day. So when Bob Geldof put together the Greatest Hits Collection Of Extremely Wealthy Musicians™ at Live Aid (kind of like the Justice League, but instead of Superman you had Sting), it was a chance for the great and good to promote their music across the planet, hoiking up their own record sales in the process raise a ton of money to help those suffering from starvation in Ethiopia.

To further this cause, Bowie and Jagger—longtime friends and alleged sometime bedmates—decided to cover Martha & The Vandellas' smash, "Dancing In The Street." The Marvin Gaye-penned song seemed appropriate because it mentioned lots of cities around the world (Live Aid was inclusive), and talked about good times and "a chance for folks to meet."

They probably ignored the fact that the song, with its "invitation across the nation," was accused of inciting riots back in the 60s. If only this was a real protest song where B&J took the opportunity to stick it to the man, fight yuppies, and stir up discontent. But by 1985, they both kinda were the man.

Nevertheless, I have to give them props, particularly in the era of big budget promos, for keeping this video stripped back and DIY. The video's wardrobe concession consisted of one outfit per singer and the plot involved them camping around an abandoned building before finishing things off dancing, by themselves, in the street.

CHECKLIST TO BE LIKE BOWIE/JIG LIKE JAGGER

1. A kimono/bathrobe/trench hybrid.

2. High visibility sneakers.

3. Slow motion leaping through the air.

4. Extemporaneous dance moves, largely gesture-based, from behind doorways or in unison with your partner. Ideal.

5. Do not care two craps about what anyone thinks of said dance moves, kimono, sneakers, or almost-kissing moments.

Initially, the main star of the video appears to be Mick Jagger's washed-out highlighter pen kicks; a sort of early DIY rave shoe. These shoes take up at least 18 seconds of this video. That's about 9.56% of the entire run-time. They look comfortable, like the shoes you decide to buy when you know, deep down, that this decision is the first of many leading to the grave.

On another note, Jagger's frenzied, on-the-spot sprinting is also a reminder that keeping fit is important. Raising your knees up to your chest is a great work out for your rear. In fact, I'm not completely convinced that Jagger realizes this is a music video and not an aerobics demonstration.

When Jagger eventually swings round a pole and into shot, I'm instantly struck with the wish that my family get-togethers were populated by eccentric characters who I could now compare to Mick Jagger. As in: "He's just like my weird crazy uncle." He's like that guy in your family who used to play bass in a funk band, and now has a much younger, not very bright girlfriend, and wears wacky shirts to Thanksgiving, which in turn, inspire disapproving looks from his siblings.

Well, that's Mick Jagger. Trying so hard that his eyes are constantly trying to escape their sockets, meanwhile his hair is a glorious bouffant–mullet hybrid. A brave mutant just trying to stay alive in a world rife with glinting steel scissors.

On another note, his green silk blouse is absolutely the kind of thing Equipment sells to girls right now for over $200 a pop. So he's clearly doing something right.

There are those shoes again. By this point, the dye is cast; we're watching a video made by dads, for dads. Jagger is dressed like Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear.

But Bowie's here to save the day! He appears resplendent in… patterned PJs. I bet at the time Jagger was rather nonplussed by Bowie's PJ-and-flowing-overcoat combo, but actually Bowie predicted and sported the bedwear-as-daywear trend 25-plus years ahead of everyone else.

One more thing on form versus function. If you can't jump sky-high and do the splits easily and without splitting the crotch, then your clothes are no good for you.

Unfortunately, watching this video at a young age completely ruined my game. It warped my rhythm. It warped my brain. I would go to gatherings, identify a potential make out partner and dance like these two, thus instantly diminishing my ability to score. My moves would wither away my tongue-on-tongue chances from 75%-hey-he's-kinda-dreamy, down to 7.5%-do-I-know-this-freakshow-no-I-do-not. Thanks to this video, my go-to party move is the old "stand behind the door and wiggle your hands dance." This is one lesson about style and dancing and LIFE that I could have done without.

The whole video ends here. I know it looks like I've cack-handedly screengrabbed a couple of crappy quality YouTube clips. And I have. Throughout this whole article. But this is the money-shot to end it all. Mick Jagger and David Bowie's butts, booty-tooched with conviction. Yet another schooling in style. A maxim to tattoo on your inner thigh: a well-cut pair of pants does a lot for your ass. Thanks guys.

Date: March 29, 2014 20:19

David Bowie Mick Jagger Dancing In The Street
Posted on July 12, 2012 by David Bowie News by Bewlay Sister
David Bowie Mick Jagger Dancing In The Streets 1The campest video ever! In 1985, David Bowie and Mick Jagger dueted on a hastily recorded version of ‘Dancing In The Street’, the 1964 Motown classic co-written by Marvin Gaye.

The Bowie/Jagger version was recorded to benefit the Live Aid charity and was shown on July 13, 1985 at the two Live Aid concerts – London’s Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia’s John F. Kennedy Stadium.

Originally, Bowie and Jagger intended to sing a duet by satellite link with Bowie in London and Jagger in Philadelphia. However, that was not technically possible with 1985 technology and the decision was made to record a single and video instead.

David Bowie Mick Jagger Dancing In The Streets 8At Bob Geldof’s suggestion, the pair had rehearsed Bob Marley’s ‘One Love’, but as Geldof said in his autobiography, a night of clubbing “trying to outdo each other on the dance floor … gave them an idea”. They decided to perform ‘Dancing In The Street’, originally a hit for Martha And The Vandellas and one of the most beloved Motown songs of the Sixties.

It was also important to the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards believed that ‘Dancing In The Street’ had subconsciously inspired the Stones’ ‘Satisfaction’ riff. Jagger used a variant of one lyric line from ‘Dancing In The Street’ in the Stones’ ‘Street Fightin’ Man’.

Although it is true that the Bowie/Jagger version is weaker than the masterful original, it is still remarkable how much the Bowie/Jagger version is hated by the critics.

David Bowie Mick Jagger Dancing In The Streets 11The track was intended as fun and hugely succeeds as fun. It was popular, reaching #7 in the USA and topping the British chart for four weeks.

David Bowie Mick Jagger Dancing In The Streets 4Truly a keg party song, it seems to have enjoyed some enduring popularity, at least in Britain, despite being recorded very quickly, virtually as a by-product of the video. By Bowie’s account, the basic song track and video were completed in thirteen hours. (Although Jagger afterwards over-dubbed the track with other musicians.)

The accompanying video is one of the few times that major rock stars have sent themselves up. When Jagger first appears in the video, he raises his hands to his mouth as though shouting when he sings “Calling out around the world”. That is, he announces at the start that the video is a joke, not to be taken seriously. (But it must also be said that the video is the only time David Bowie has lost his fashion sense.) The video also attracted some notoriety unrelated to the music.

David Bowie Dancing In The Streets 12Currently, a new Jagger biography revives the claim that Mick and David slept with each other in the Seventies. Angie Bowie made this claim on the Joan Rivers show talk show in 1990. Just one week later, she retracted it, telling Geraldo Rivera, “I certainly didn’t catch anyone in the act.” Then she implied it again and has occasionally revived it. I note that she is currently promoting her latest book. The ‘Dancing In The Street’ video may even be one of the reasons why the claim is taken seriously.

In the video, the two try to out-camp each other, with Bowie probably succeeding while Jagger is the funnier of the two. Bowie and Jagger thoroughly mock themselves, including almost pushing each other out of the way to jostle for the camera’s attention. The video was very, very cheaply made, giving it even more of a joke vibe.

It is surely the campest video ever made! My favorite moments include the utterly ridiculous way in which David sways while singing the line, ‘And the streets of Brazil’ (at 1:51) and the hilarious end of the video when they shake their butts at the camera.

Live AidThis self-parody and fun was for a very serious cause. Despite the bleating of the critics, the single raised significant funds for the Live Aid charity set up to help victims of a devastating famine in Ethiopia. Estimates of the total number of people who died in that famine range as high as one million.

Live Aid logo 1The Live Aid idea had originated the previous year when Bob Geldof had seen a distressing TV documentary on the situation in Ethiopia and arranged a charity single performed by (mostly) British stars. ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ sold twelve million copies and also inspired the twenty million selling USA For Africa’s ‘We Are The World’.

David Bowie was to have sung the first two lines of the song, but was away from London at the time of the recording sessions. He instead contributed a spoken message to accompany the instrumental B-side of the single.

David Bowie Live Aid 002On the day of the Live Aid concerts, he sang his intended lines of the song at Wembley as part of the concert finale.

Earlier that day, he had begun his set with ‘TVC15’ from Station To Station. A great song, but an odd choice as it was a deep album cut, unknown to nonfans. After excellent versions of ‘Rebel Rebel’ and ‘Modern Love’, his final song was ‘Heroes’, which he dedicated to his son and “the children of the world”. It was an incredible version, the best I have ever seen. (Clip at bottom of article.)

David Bowie Live Aid 006The audience reaction was massive, with Bowie’s set generally considered as the second best of the day (second to Queen).

Originally, David was to have concluded with ‘Five Years’. However, before the event Geldof showed some of the Live Aid participants a short, powerful Canadian Broadcasting Corporation film on the famine, which left Bowie in tears. In his autobiography, Geldof related that Bowie insisted on dropping one of his songs to show the film.

Bowie told British radio:
“I thought it was a very important piece of footage … the point (of Live Aid) wasn’t to promote singles, the point was to bring awareness to the situation.”

David Bowie Queen Live Aid Diana CharlesThe footage, incongruously but effectively soundtracked by an Eighties prom song, ‘Drive’ by the Cars resulted in the biggest single increase in pledges that day.

Ultimately, the concerts raised over $200 million for famine relief.

Date: March 29, 2014 23:02

7" SINGLE WITH INSTRUMENTAL B-SIDE Torrent

Torrent

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:38

exilestones

Torrent

Wetransfer download link:

[we.tl]

(new link, valid until April 20th !

Chris from Belgium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 18:56 by coowouters.

Posted by: Ya-Yas ()
Date: March 30, 2014 15:17

Exilestones and Chris,
thank you.

Matti

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 30, 2014 15:36

Thanks guys. I had no idea Marvin Gaye was one of he co-writers! I did a bit of searching but it doesn't seem his demo ever made it's way to the public, anyone know for sure?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 13, 2014 16:14

Dancing in the Street line-up

Vocals – David Bowie, Mick Jagger
Guitar – Earl Slick, G.E. Smith, Kevin Armstrong
Bass – John “Skinny” Regan, Matthew Seligman
Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax] – Stan Harrison
Baritone Saxophone [Baritone Sax] – Lenny Pickett
Drums – Neil Conti
Backing Vocals – Helena Springs, Tessa Niles
Keyboards – Steve Nieve
Percussion – Jimmy Maelen, Pedro Ortiz
Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax] – Lenny Pickett, Stan Harrison
Trumpet – Mac Gollehon

Photography By [Front Cover Photograph] – Jon Hoffmann
Producer – Clive Langer, Alan Winstanley
Producer [Additional Production] – Michael Barbiero, Mick Jagger, Nile Rodgers, Steve Thompson
Mastered By – Bob Ludwig
Mixed By – Steve Thompson, Michael Barbiero
Engineer – Bob Clearmountain, Mark Saunders, Stephen Benben
Engineer [Assistant] – Alexander Haas, Ira McLaughlin, Richard Sullivan, Steve Boyer

Written-By – I. Hunter, M. Gaye, W. Stevenson

Artwork [Back Cover Logo] – David Bell
NOTES:
Back cover logo LIVE-AID Foundation 1985.

Date: April 13, 2014 16:16

Recording "Dancing in the Street": Mick Jagger, Kevin Armstrong and David Bowie

Written-By – I. Hunter, M. Gaye, W. Stevenson

Britney
The version that was used for the first broadcast of the song has never made it to vinyl/cd.

The Rebel Magazine
Q & A with Kevin Armstrong

The Rebel: How happy were you with the Dancing In The Street single and video? Out of Bowie and Jagger who had the best moves?

Kevin Armstrong: “I thought the Dancing In The Street single was a bit cheesy but it was made so quickly as a tagged on bit of time after a session for the Absolute Beginners soundtrack that I suppose it was never going to be that great. It was, let’s remember, a charity record and in that regard it may have been a very worthwhile thing. I think Mick Jagger took it to New York sometime afterwards and added some more players to it for a later version. The band didn’t even know it was going to happen until minutes before we did it. I’d had a swift rehearsal with DB and MJ at a meeting the night before but was asked to spring it on the band at the last minute for some reason. We all got invited to the video shoot in Docklands straight after and watched David and Mick camping it up together all night for the cameras. I hesitate to say who had the best moves because that’s the kind of guy I am!”

---------------------------------

Kevin Armstrong –

J: I wouldn’t let me back in. How did Live Aid happen?

K: It was as a direct consequence of working on (David Bowie's) ‘Absolute Beginners’. I helped him finish it in an Abbey Road session, and then on the same day we did ‘Dancing in the street’ but between those sessions he called me and said ‘I’ve been asked to do this charity gig, and it’s going to be a big deal, do you want to put a band together with me?’

J: Blimey.

K: I had no idea how big that would be until the morning of Live Aid. Thomas Dolby was involved in that too… my old girlfriend Clare Hirst from the Belle Stars, and Neil Conti from Prefab Sprout. When the morning came, London was quiet.

Kevin Armstrong

Recording ‘Dancing in the Street’ with Mick Jagger, Kevin Armstrong (centre) & singer Helena Springs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 04:21 by exilestones.

Date: April 13, 2014 16:33

Jon Hoffmann Photographer

During an 18-year career as a freelance, Jon's photographs appeared on the covers of Newsweek and Time and in Life magazine. The shots of Mick Jagger and David Bowie taken when they were filming the video of Dancing in the Street including the song’s picture sleeve.

This was the first picture I took the moment I arrived on set. Three cameras around my neck, one loaded with color daylight film, and a flash, another with tungsten film and the third with black and white. Used to get myself in quite a tangle! – John Hoffmann

The shoot took place in the old docklands in London all night. Top secret it was. I seem to have a memory of playing cricket with Jagger in the early hours of the morning, drinking about 20 cups of coffee to keep going. They kept dancing all night. The vinyl cover used to be framed and hanging in Abbey Road studios. – Jon Hoffmann

This was the most published picture I ever took. I woke up one morning to find it on the front page of most of the nationals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 16:37 by exilestones.

Date: April 13, 2014 16:38

Song Facts -

This was originally a hit for Martha & the Vandellas in 1964. Bowie and Jagger covered it for the Live Aid charity at the insistence of Bob Geldof, who also put together the "Do They Know It's Christmas?" single. Bowie and Jagger's cover features some lyrical changes. Their version begins with an announcement to the world (to reflect the universality of the charity's message): "OK, Tokyo South America, Australia, France, Germany, UK, Africa!" They also slip in a reference to The Beatles' track, "Back In The U.S.S.R".
----
Bowie and Jagger recorded this song in just four hours. In 2007, Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone: "We banged it out in just two takes. It was an interesting exercise in how you can do something without worrying too much."

----

The producer Clive Langer told 1000 UK #1 Hits: "We were working on "Absolute Beginners" with Bowie. We were doing the backing track and David said, 'Do you mind if we do a charity single tonight?' I said, not at all, we'll help you. David said, 'Mick will be coming down.' Mick came into the studio and was twiddling his arms around and everything and we knocked the backing track down. We recorded most of it. I think they did the horns in America and somebody else mixed it. It was nice of David to put our names on it because it was really produced by a lot of people."

----

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:57

exilestones

Torrent

Wetransfer download link:

[we.tl]

(new link, valid until April 20th !

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: April 13, 2014 20:16

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:53

THANKS TOBOTH OF YOU

Date: May 6, 2014 03:57

The story that Jagger and Bowie originally had planned to sing a cross-continental duet during Live Aid—Bowie in London, Jagger in New York isn’t true. They knew that insurmountable satellite issue (due to signal delays, they would be either a second behind or ahead of each other) made a hash of that plan. Instead Bowie and Jagger decided to make a video to air during the concert. Having first considered Bob Marley’s “One Love”, they instead decided to cover Martha and the Vandellas.

While the rhythm tracks and vocals of “Dancing in the Street” were cut one night during Bowie’s Absolute Beginners sessions at the end of June 1985, with the same band Bowie used for that soundtrack, Jagger soon took over the show, bringing the tapes back with him to New York in early July and larding them with horns, backing singers and guitar contributions by G.E. Smith and Earl Slick.
It hadn’t been an inspired session, with the band slogging through takes of “Dancing” to get the feel of it, as they’d just learned the song, and sounding “@#$%& awful…like a cabaret band,” as producer Alan Winstanley recalled to David Buckley. (“I had my head in my hands, thinking, what the @#$%& is this?” he added.) Jagger’s arrival got everyone down to business, with most of the lead vocals soon cut in a single take. However drummer Neil Conti recalled Jagger “on an ego trip,” strutting around the studio, establishing his alpha credentials even to the tea boys.

Bowie, in a genial mood or perhaps just drunk, gave Jagger the reins, an imbalance of power that continued in both the video, where Bowie plays Robin to Jagger’s louche Batman, and in the pair’s single live performance of “Dancing,” at the 1986 Prince’s Trust concert, where Jagger utterly dominates the song, thanks in part to either a wonky mike or poor sound mixing for Bowie.
Recorded 29-30 June 1985, Abbey Road Studios (with overdubs in New York in early July). Premiered at Live Aid, 13 July 1985, and released on 19 August 1985 as EMI America 204

In the summer of 1985 Jagger was trying to work himself up as a solo artist, with a mild hit debut record, She’s the Boss, to his credit.
Jagger nabbed some of Bowie’s former collaborators to play on his album, including Nile Rodgers and Carlos Alomar (co-writer of the title track and the non-classic “Lucky In Love”).

wikipedia: "A rough mix of the track was completed in just four hours, at which
point the pair went straight out to London Docklands to film a video with director David Mallet. Thirteen hours after the start of recording, this also was completed."

In June 1985, Bowie was recording his contributions to the Absolute Beginners soundtrack at Abbey Road Studios, and so Jagger arranged to fly in to record the track there. A rough mix of the track was completed in just four hours, at which point the pair went straight out to London Docklands to film a video with director David Mallet. Thirteen hours after the start of recording, this also was completed. Jagger arranged for some minor musical overdubs with Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero in New York.

Date: May 6, 2014 04:00

Earl Slick Session Man & guitar player for David Bowie

“For My Mistake”, it was a simple as asking Keith. I was in the studio mixing the Phantom, Rocker and Slick record, and I got a phone call from the co-producer, Steve Thompson, saying that he was working with Mick Jagger and David Bowie, who had redone Dancing in the Street. So he says, ‘I’ve got Jagger in the studio, and he wants you to come in and play guitar on it.' So I said, ‘OK, I’ll see you guys tomorrow.' And Steve said, ‘No, he wants you to take the red eye.’

“Now I’m like, ‘What the @#$%&, man? What’s the difference whether I get there in the afternoon or first thing in the morning?’ I hear this pause, and Jagger gets on the phone. ‘What do I have to do, come and get you?’ he asked. I said, ‘OK, I’ll see you in the morning.’

“As a result, I get in there, we put the guitars on, but it was his birthday, too. So he invites me to his birthday at the Palladium. And, obviously, the Stones were there. I ran into Keith and Woody, and as I was chatting with Keith, I said, ‘You know, Keith, I’m mixing a record, and I’ve got a track that I’d love you to play on. How do we do that?’ And he said, ‘Done. Call my manager and make arrangements.’ So he’s on My Mistake.”

Date: May 6, 2014 04:09

The Dancing in the Street video was also shown in movie theaters before showings of Ruthless People, for which Jagger had recorded the theme song. It was the first instance in which a promotional clip was used outside of MTV or broadcast television.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 04:09 by exilestones.

Date: May 6, 2014 04:11

SIDE A:
Dancing In The Street (Extended Dance Mix) 4:40
SIDE B:
Dancing In The Street (Dub Mix) 4:41
Dancing In The Street (Edited Version) 3:24

Label: EMI America ?– V-19200
Format: Vinyl, 12?, 45 RPM

Vocals – David Bowie, Mick Jagger
Guitar – Earl Slick, G.E. Smith, Kevin Armstrong
Bass – John “Skinny” Regan*, Matthew Seligman
Alto Saxophone [Alto Sax] – Stan Harrison
Baritone Saxophone [Baritone Sax] – Lenny Pickett
Drums – Neil Conti
Backing Vocals – Helena Springs, Tessa Niles
Keyboards – Steve Nieve
Percussion – Jimmy Maelen, Pedro Ortiz
Tenor Saxophone [Tenor Sax] – Lenny Pickett, Stan Harrison
Trumpet – Mac Gollehon

Photography By [Front Cover Photograph] – Jon Hoffmann
Producer – Clive Langer, Alan Winstanley*
Producer [Additional Production] – Michael Barbiero, Mick Jagger, Nile Rodgers, Steve Thompson
Mastered By – Bob Ludwig
Mixed By – Steve Thompson, Michael Barbiero*
Engineer – Bob Clearmountain, Mark Saunders, Stephen Benben
Engineer [Assistant] – Alexander Haas*, Ira McLaughlin, Richard Sullivan, Steve Boyer

Written-By – I. Hunter*, M. Gaye*, W. Stevenson*

Artwork [Back Cover Logo] – David Bell (9)
NOTES:
Back cover logo © LIVE-AID Foundation 1985.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 04:13 by exilestones.

Date: May 6, 2014 04:19

Kevin Armstrong guitarist – A ten year working relationship with David Bowie. It started with the recording of songs for the Julien Temple movie Absolute Beginners and went on to include being musical director & guitarist for Bowie’s Live Aid band. Kevin also MD’d the recording of Dancing in the Street with Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Armstrong also formed the band for David Bowie’s Live Aid appearance in 1985] and recorded the song Dancing In The Street with David Bowie and Mick Jagger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kevin Armstrong guitarist – A ten year working relationship with David Bowie. It started with the recording of songs for the Julien Temple movie Absolute Beginners and went on to include being musical director & guitarist for Bowie’s Live Aid band. Kevin also MD’d the recording of Dancing in the Street with Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Armstrong also formed the band for David Bowie’s Live Aid appearance in 1985] and recorded the song Dancing In The Street with David Bowie and Mick Jagger

Date: May 6, 2014 04:28

A quick cigarette Kevin Armstrong & David Bowie with Freddie Mercury, backstage at Live Aid.

Paul McCartney and David Bowie backstage at the Live Aid charity concert

Date: May 6, 2014 04:57

G.E. Smith, songwriter and guitarist, former SNL bandleader and sideman to Roger Waters, Hall & Oates, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, David Bowie and more. G.E. Smith played lead guitar on Mick Jagger's "I'm Ringing" overdubs on "Dancing in the Street" and Jagger solo albums.

Smith's life changed in 1979 when he began a six-year stint as lead guitarist with Hall & Oates. The hits included "Kiss on My List," "Private Eyes," and "Man Eater," and they toured incessantly.

The fantasy part of his career began in early 1985 at the Live Aid and Farm Aid concerts. The Hall & Oates band became the house band for both events, and Smith was the de facto music director. He played with Jagger, Turner, and whoever else didn't have a band. Jagger used Smith on his first solo album She's the Boss, as well as on Primitive Cool. The hard-working Smith also played on some one-off recordings and concerts with Bowie, Peter Wolf, and others.

When Hall & Oates took an extended break from music, Smith was offered the job of Saturday Night Live music director due to contacts made through Radner. Besides winning an Emmy for his work with the consistently excellent SNL band, Smith performed with a stunning list of guest musicians -- Keith Richards, Al Green, Rickie Lee Jones, Bryan Ferry, and others. He played out his fantasies by inviting hot guitarists to drop in unannounced, including Eddie Van Halen, Johnny Winter, David Gilmour, Lonnie Mack, Dave Edmunds, and Buddy Guy.

Smith was also David Bowie's guitarist on many of Bowie's tracks throughout the years. He can be seen on the official "Fashion" video and on a Keith Richards Saturday Night Live appearance. He spent three years with Roger Waters on the road doing "The Wall", all over the world.He also performed with Waters at Madison Square Gardens for the "The Concert for Sandy Relief" in 2012.

video: [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com]

"I'm Ringing" with G. E. Smith on lead guitar

Date: May 6, 2014 05:02

Mick Jagger and David Bowie duet with an all-star band at at the Prince's Trust Concert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 06:50 by exilestones.

Date: May 6, 2014 05:03

No previous concert had ever brought together so many famous performers from the past and present

Live Aid was a multi-venue rock music concert held on July 13, 1985 (1985-07-13). The event was organized by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for famine relief in Ethiopia. Billed as the 'global jukebox', the main sites for the event were Wembley Stadium, London (attended by 82,000 people) and JFK Stadium, Philadelphia (attended by about 99,000 people), with some acts performing at other venues such as Sydney and Moscow. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time: an estimated 400 million viewers, across 60 countries, watched the live broadcast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 05:07 by exilestones.

Date: May 6, 2014 05:10

DAVID BOWIE & MICK JAGGER Dancing In The Street (1985 Colombian 3-track Capitol label vinyl 12" PICTURE DISC , features Steve Thompson Mix, Dub Version & Edit. This elusive Colombian only picture disc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home