Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Help! I want to organize my catalogue.
Posted by: abbiatti ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:38

Hello everyone, don´t know if it´s the right place to ask but I want to organize my mp3/flac Stones catalogue and don´t know where or how to start.
Is there a guide I can follow to check what I have and what´s left to be completed?
I have, many many many shows, boots, etc

I´ll apreciate any "help from my friends".

Re: Help! I want to organize my catalogue.
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:59

abbiatti
Hello everyone, don´t know if it´s the right place to ask but I want to organize my mp3/flac Stones catalogue and don´t know where or how to start.
Is there a guide I can follow to check what I have and what´s left to be completed?
I have, many many many shows, boots, etc

I´ll apreciate any "help from my friends".

You mean you want a list of all Stones shows, outtake albums , solo stuff etc?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 5, 2013 22:43

WOW! That's a big thing to ask. I used to catalog my bootleg title in chronological (time) order and the same with the official releases. Now I'm trying to transfer everything to digital on my computer and backing it all up with a server and portable external HDD (hard drives). What I found is that many times the same material is rereleased under different names with various improvements. I want everything to be easy to find on my computer, especially if I have to do a computer search. I name each folder or file starting with "RS" so there's no doubt it's rolling Stones. For audio I put the year next and then what it is such as "live," "official," "out" (outtake or alternate) then the year. Video I us "RS" then "video" then the year, that way the vids are separated from the audio. Here's the examples: RS 1964-1971 OFFICIAL - Hot Rocks (first pressing) SHELLEY, RS 1964-1971 OFFICIAL - Hot Rocks (1964-1971) (2002 - SACD Remastered) by JuLeBox, RS 1964-1971 OFFICIAL - Hot Rocks 1 POCD-1927 970224 Japan 1997, RS 1964-1971 OFFICIAL - Hot Rocks 1964-1971 [ChattChitto RG] 1986, etc... or unofficial RS 1969 LIVE - 691109 OAKLAND 1st & 2nd - Live'r Than They'll Ever Be SODD-13, RS 1969 LIVE - 691109 OAKLAND 2nd - Liver Than You'll Ever Be Deluxe Release DAC-116, RS 1969 LIVE - 691109 OAKLAND 2nd Revolution 69 GDR 9105, RS 1969 LIVE - 691109 Oakland Coliseum Arena 2ND FM - SODD-029. For live boots I then put a date code starting with the year, month and day. That way everything falls in order and different copies of the same show are in order. The reason why I explain all of this is you need to find a method of listing what you want. Somebody could reccommend "Nasty Music" and there are a few of them. Somebody else may suggest, "Brussels 1973" and it can get confusing. I found the best way to make a list of what you want or have is to use the date and the city for live shows and include the catalog number at the end. The next issue is what to collect? Some people collect audience recordings and I usually try to avoid them but you can't avoid them in 1969 for LA or Oakland. I just want the best sounding material. I look at list of titles and have no idea if it's an audience recording or not many times so I avoid it. With non-live material, again I try to go by year. If it's outtakes from Some Girls or Exile for example, I use the year the album was released in the title so it all groups together and has order. There usually is some notes these days with downloads which would have better information as to when it was recorded. After saying all of this I have to say you have to ask what titles to go after. You can't just say, "Some Girls Outtakes" or "Exile Outtakes." There are many and some are better than others. Some titles were great at one time then better sounding releases came out such as "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others" is now obsolete since it's been released several times. Different people will give different opinions due to taste and whether or not they like the person who put it out. One this is for sure, there's many great people here who help each other.

Date: December 6, 2013 00:44

I suggest asking specific questions such as, "Which is the best Oakland 1969 recording?" "Which boot has the best Some Girls Outtakes?" "Which is the best Some Girls, Aftermath or Satanic Majesties? Different people have different levels of knowledge. Go on to YouTube and search "Rare Rolling Stones" and some stuff really isn't that rare while other stuff is rare but most collector's have it and the 8.35 versions of Miss You aren't rare at all but they all aren't the same. Every time a Stones recording is rereleased it seems as though it's remixed any more but that's not always true. If you look-up all of the Some Girls releases on CD alone there are many reissues from Japan, etc... and they are different mixes. My favorite Some Girls is TOCP-66456 (2005). Many more instruments such as guitars can be heard in Miss You and it's a great mix! Some people will say that the Rarities Miss You is a shorter version of the 8.35 Disco Mix and it's not even close. Rarities is in the order that the Stones made the original version of Miss You. To really know that is true than you need the original recording "Miss You #2" which sounds best on a Sister Morphine boot and there's great stuff on RS 1978 OUT - Girls, Pills and Powders - 5 CDs PNG-023 and RS 1978 OUT - More Fast Numbers (DAC-097) and a Fan made, no lable "Some Girls Sessions" 4-CD is great too. Compare all of these and get "Certain Chicks" too. "Miss You #2" is the way the Stones recorded Miss You and it's different than all of the releases. Rarities Miss You follows Miss You #2. The 8-Track Miss You also follows Miss You #2. The 8.35 versions of Miss You don't follow anything after a while with a drum loop added and then the song gets cut and pasted all over the place. For example the "Come Home, Come Home" part is really only in the song once. The end of the 8.35 version of Miss You is really from the before the middle and Bob Clearmountain mixed it all up and it's genius! The mixes of Miss You are all different for example the 2002 8.35 Miss You from the Don't Stop CD single is not even close to the original disco mix. The 2002 has a lot of guitar that was deleted from the 1978 version. Compare the harmonica solo before the 7 minute mark in the 8.35 versions and the Rarities version...WOW! I think I like Rarities best. I think most people wrote it off as a hacked 8.35 version but it's a whole different animal. I could never find any information as to who mixed the Rarities Miss You. The 8 track Miss You was the Chris Kimsey long version of Miss You which is similar to the LP and single. Figuring out which is best is a life-long task. There's a lot of great stuff out there and all of the research isn't there. I ask for a list of essential bootlegs. Then try to figure out which is the best version of each official song and album. Good Luck! Satanic Majesties has three great versions and that is tricky trying to figure that out. People will say the best version of "2,000 Light Years" is the powerful 1st US vinyl release. There were other mono pressings of Satanic in 1967 but only the USA had the true mono mix whereas the others were fold-down stereo-in-to-mono and lacks the power of the true mono mix. What Professor Stoned figured-out was the 2nd US pressing of Satanic was also true mono and is a better pressing (London ARL 8126) and the good professor did an awesome job of making a digital transfer! The wide-stereo 1986 West German release of Satanic LONDON 820 129-2 RH is also a great Satanic as is the recent DSD Remaster. Get all three of the mixes, wide stereo, true mono and DSD and compare them and they are all great! So, t can be opinion by taste or knowledge as to which are best. What I also found was people often refer to the mid 1980's West German, France, Japan wide-stereo releases but there isn't much info as to the later releases. I don't think the West German 1980's are the best wide stereo releases. The same wide stereo masters were used for later releases and the technology for CDs got better sound later on. Especially the Japan P25L series and the Japan POCD series, overall, the P25L series wins in my opinion. It's the same mix as the West German only better sound. People generalize due to limited knowledge or laziness to do research. For example it's commonly known that ABKCO did a shit job on the first ABKCO CDs. People say to stay away from the CDs with the black and red banner across the bottom which reads "DIGITALLY REMASTERD FROM ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDINGS." The problem is that a lot of the research is dated and the later releases of the same mixes were properly researched if at all. In 1991 the US "Through the Past Darkly" POCD 1057 and "Big Hits High Tide and Green Grass" POCD 1056 were released in Japan. Yes, the USA versions released in Japan from the mid 1980's Abkco masters and these Japan CDs had the black and red banner at the bottom "DIGITALLY REMASTERD FROM ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDINGS." The sound on these are great! Big Hits POCD-1056 has an awesome stereo "Heart of Stone." I think the most powerful version of Paint It Black is mono and it's only the short version, even though the 2002 Remaster is long, great and in narrow stereo. Abkco gave not very good sound on most of the material on the 'old Abkco' CDs but there were some great mixes they used from the mid 1980's until 2002. I can safely sy that all Abkco released from the mid 1980s until 2002 are the same mixes. The problem for me was I loved the mid 1980's Abkco short mono mix of Paint It Black (originally 66672) which was later released on CD in Japan. I think POCD 1056 & POCD 1057 are essential for collectors who want all of the best sounding recordings but others will say no. Many agree the best "Aftermath" is the first UK vinyl. There are a few great "Aftermath" vinyl rips which I'll save for another post. So, if you ask everyone more spific questions such as "What are the top 30 essential Rolling Stones boots?" Or what are the best "Some Girls" outtakes. Or "How d you catalog your Rolling Stones collection?," you should get more specific answers. Good luck.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: December 8, 2013 12:33

At first my exile file was in the European date order, that is dd-mm-yyyy.
I excel this is no problem, but in your HD it will automaticly sort by day.

It took me almost a year (not in one go, but each week some hours) to have it all in chronological order in this way; yyyy.mm.dd
I could have done yyyy-mm-dd using scores in stead of dots, but than excel somehow considered it to be text and not date. Looking at this now, I think it would sort the same way.
I do have notes for Publisher and for vinyl.
It was quit a job, but now I realise I would have liked to note audience and soundboard as well, or what you have like official/studio/outtakes/ and so on.
Outtakes usualy can be found not having a specific single date, so it is Always between this and that date.
It all will be time consuming to get it all in the most efficient way.

Maybe we can exchange our lists for updating reasons and maybe do a trade.

Date: December 8, 2013 19:30

The reason why I used the yymmdd was for my music to be in order on my computer. I don't use Excel to make a list.

Most of my boot CDs I used to cherish I now see as clutter since I'm putting everything on my computer (digital). Each album/boot/whatever is a folder and I needed all of my folders/music to be in order. I don't have a list. I did try to make a list out of looking the the list of folders in My Computer but I could not figure out how to make a TEXT/ASCII from the list of folders. This should be something that I'd think should be common. People would want a list of files thet have for word documents.

The only thing I could figure out was to use "Print Screen" and then paste the image in "Paint" (accessories). The use an OCR program to change the image to text. The problem with doing all of that work is that the list keeps growing and I'd have to do it over and over. There has to be an easier way.

I'd love to contribute to the group. When I get everything together I can post my 'list' and you can just let me know what you'd like and you can have it. I appreciated everyone's efforts who contribute to this group. This is the best Stones forum. A few things that make me not want to download is if the music, etc isn't listed as "audience" or "soundboard", "pro-shot", etc... I hate when there are missing tracks! Just post them all. It's not like you are putting the tracks on to this forum, it's only a link. Thanks!

It would be nice if we all used the same file system.

Here's what my Stones Collection looks like:

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 9, 2013 01:36

For me, iTunes works like a charm. The library will organize them for you depending on your preferences. Rip your cd's and/or drag & drop your mp3's into iTunes and you're good to go. I wouldn't do it any other way as far as digital file organizing goes. Hope this helps.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: December 9, 2013 20:17

How to create a list for dummies

Only joking saying for dummies, but I once was pointed to this very little tool (free software).I se it ever since.

Cdrom List Creator [www.leeos.com]

Cdrom List Creator is a CD indexer, that can save and print directories and files
names (on a CD or in Explorer), and store them in a searchable text file, allowing ...
[www.leeos.com] - 10k -

Once installed (in seconds) you can rightclick any folder in your explorer and choose "directory list"
instandly you will be provided with an on screen list for this folder
The only thing is, you must tell [at the bottum of the popup screen] where you want to save this text-file and give it a name.
Browse for a folder (may I suggest my documents) and than click the button "write all list to file"
The text-file can be opened using word-path or word
Maybe you have each year or each solo artist in a separate folder, than you must repeat this for each folder.
You can copy/paste them in a big file in word or excel and there you have your list.

Note this button just below the given textlines "List subdiretories"
When you click this button it will take much more time to get your list, for than you get all tracks and extentions as well. (much more time means 2 minutes in stead of 2 seconds when you just do the directory list)

hope you find this useful

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:58

Here's a Word document with a basic list of every tour up to 1969 and then every show from 1969 up to now, including the 14 that are coming up. If you can use Word you can fill in the gaps as you want...........

Good 'till 16.12.2013....... [www.wetransfer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 02:30 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 12, 2013 20:14

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: December 12, 2013 21:41

Treesize pro works a treat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home