Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hold on tight 75
Posted by: daytime ()
Date: September 11, 2013 20:37

Would anyone recommend this bootleg of NYC as a strong boot to have? Comments please.

Re: Hold on tight 75
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:02

It's an audience recording and, for an audience recording of the time, a very good one. I believe it was the last of the NY shows. I guess, in the bootleg world, the sound quality would be rated VG+ or Ex-. It's also a good show-- considering both sound quality and performance, it's in my top 5 of the tour. The band is very good. Jagger's voice may be a bit shot. I do not know of a better version of this show than Hold on Tight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 21:05 by texas fan.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:03

daytime
Would anyone recommend this bootleg of NYC as a strong boot to have? Comments please.

A classic. Both VGP and DAC releases are great.

DAC version can be downloaded here:
[www.iorr.org]

VGP version here:
[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:12

There is also a really great matrix mix made from the different sources...

[www.hungercity.org]

Date: September 11, 2013 21:17

Great, great show. I had it on vinyl earlier, but lost it...

One of the best 75-shows I've heard. Nice rendition of Cherry Oh Baby as well.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:19

actually its partly very sloppy gig,but its a classic one,i really like gimme shelter on this one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:07

marko
actually its partly very sloppy gig

Thx for expressing a dissident view! Imo they were extremely tired after playing five 2.5 hrs shows in five days and it shows on this recording! Jagger's painful to hear and the band doesn't exactly shine.
Plus Keith had health problems (toothaches?) during the NY residency so imo again "Hold on tight" sounds like a band in need of a day off.

If you want a MSG'75 gig pick up the 1st one (June 22)! thumbs up

Posted by: ic1960 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 00:49

Which is the best version of the 22 June MSG gig please?

Date: September 13, 2013 00:23

There are two tapes, each one of "good" quality, so...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 13, 2013 01:11

dcba
marko

Thx for expressing a dissident view! Imo they were extremely tired after playing five 2.5 hrs shows in five days and it shows on this recording! Jagger's painful to hear and the band doesn't exactly shine.
Plus Keith had health problems (toothaches?) during the NY residency so imo again "Hold on tight" sounds like a band in need of a day off.

my opinion exactly.

Date: September 13, 2013 02:00

I was going thru my containers of boots, I found I had it. Nice quality almost forget I ever had it. Thanks for comments guys.

Date: September 13, 2013 14:49

1972 was the band's last tour where they could still ride the beam & make it w/anm audience. "Consistently exhilirating" was what David Dalton refered to the high quality of those 50-odd shows.

1975 was really hit or miss. Hold On Tight is deffo miss.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2013 15:22

dcba
marko

But that's why I like it so much: it's encredibly sloppy and laid-back, but pure sleezy RnR!

I find the 22nd the worst of the MSG shows, mainly due to the sound problems they where having.

Mathijs

Date: September 14, 2013 16:01

The plot thickens >grinning smiley< :
aren't we supposed to enjoy and praise the good shows and despise the bad ones (cos we're purists, the top of the crop etc etc)?

Date: September 14, 2013 16:09

well,even june 27th 1975 is sloppy,i really like it smiling smiley

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: September 14, 2013 16:34

Hey Guys. I think it's worth mentioning that the version of 'Hold On Tight' released by DAC was copied from a no-label 2cd, called 'The Original Hold On Tight'. Not only did DAC unnecessarily spread it over 3 discs, but the no-label also sounds MUCH better (if you can find it). Just my 2 cents :-)
Also (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong): The VGP & DAC versions are from different sources- I believe the 'Original Hold On Tight' is the source originally used on vinyl (?). Both sound good, but the original one has much less crowd interference & is the better one imho. Great stereo audience recording! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 16:41 by MrsHop.

Posted by: mickcawber ()
Date: September 16, 2013 20:42

This is a brilliant thread.

For all the reasons expounded above by those in favor I LOVE this show. The "cherry bombs" interlude must be one of the funniest moments in history of R&R.

Of all the shows released on No Label this was the one I most wanted and the only one I ever knew that sold out before I got to it while I was living in Tokyo.

There is another release in a silver cardboard CD box with the CSR labels printed on the CDS which I have (but have never listened to) and I also have the original (beautiful) CSR LP set in near-mint condition which was my original reference point.

I am more than happy to upload these if someone can point me to basic instructions.

I used to transfer vinyl off a (now very old) NAD CD recorder which produced wonderful results. Haven't done anything for a decade now. Is there a new Gizmo which transfers in top quality straight to hard drive ?

As said, time permitting I can upload the above (and anything else I have which is on anyone's wanted list).

But if anyone has that No Label CD referred to by Mrs Hop PLEASE do upload it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 16, 2013 21:25

mickcawber

I have it; and uploaded it to Hungercity some time ago.....the torrent is still active

But, what MrsHop did not mention is that both the no-label and the DAC are taken from a torrent kindly shared by TornAndFrayed which is a member here on IORR; which was a vinyl-rip of the Hold On Tight 3LP.
DAC didn't "copy" the no-label.....maybe just a detail, but...

The no-label and the DAC is only mixed/EQd differently

When it comes to VGP-255 "Hold On Tight"....it's a different recording than the vinyl with the same title. VGP-255 (w/ the screaming girls) is taken from same source as the vinyls "Preserve For Future" and "Discover New York"
It's not as great sounding or as "up-close" as the "real" Hold On Tight.....but it has more mood, as the audience are so lively....and there's a great atmosphere. ...I wouldn't do without neither of the 2 sources, but there's no doubt that the "original" Hold On Tight is the best sounding one.

The ultimate version is Falo's matrix, which he made from both these EX recordings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-16 21:32 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 16, 2013 21:28

@mickcawber: I'm sure you will find here all the instructions and advices you need.
Many thanks for your kind offers!
Welcome to IORRn and enjoy the site!
smileys with beer

Posted by: mickcawber ()
Date: September 18, 2013 18:17

Many thanks to all concerned for the follow-up.

Seems I have the Falo Matrix (if it is the one with red covers).

I need to up my HC ratio and make some contributions here.

Will search for the upload instructions, but invariably pushed for time so if anyone has pointers to quick instructions I will happily take note.

Thanks again.

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: September 18, 2013 22:27

Erik_Snow
But, what MrsHop did not mention is that both the no-label and the DAC are taken from a torrent kindly shared by TornAndFrayed which is a member here on IORR; which was a vinyl-rip of the Hold On Tight 3LP.

Hi Erik- I stand corrected & my apologies to TornAndFrayed. Unfortunately I'm still a bit 'old school'- ie: I wouldn't know how to do a torrent if you hit me over the head with one :-). I'll have to just whisper this too, but I still collect silver-pressed boots & it seems that the majority of them are taken from torrents nowadays. I know that's the subject of a lot of discussion here & causes ill feeling sometimes.

Date: September 19, 2013 09:10

dcba
The plot thickens >grinning smiley< :
aren't we supposed to enjoy and praise the good shows and despise the bad ones (cos we're purists, the top of the crop etc etc)?

Just me tuppence, but maybe it's all just untreated OCD? moody smiley

Date: September 19, 2013 14:45

In the meantime I've remembered I probably like the 2nd MSG gig even more than the 1st one...

Date: September 19, 2013 14:54

I think the first MSG show starts of great, but after a couple of tracks Jagger loses his confience because of the soundproblems. Best source is the Joe Maloney tape, which DAC released as Sympathy For Slowhand.

The last show.....yes Jagger's voice is shot, but it's still a great one, for sure. It's sloppy but still rocking, I agree with Mathijs.

aren't we supposed to enjoy and praise the good shows and despise the bad ones

But it's not *bad*....like LA July 11th or London 1976, there's plenty of power at MSG June 27th, though it's not among the best shows that year. Songs like Gimme Shelter are just about perfect there

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 19, 2013 15:03

Erik_Snow
But it's not *bad*....like LA July 11th or London 1976, there's plenty of power at MSG June 27th, though it's not among the best shows that year. Songs like Gimme Shelter are just about perfect there
r u talking about the earls court shows

Date: September 19, 2013 18:14

Godxofxrock9
Erik_Snow
r u talking about the earls court shows

Nope, I'm talking about the secret "MacGyver concerts" in March 1976

Date: September 21, 2013 08:24

Erik_Snow
mickcawber

I have it; and uploaded it to Hungercity some time ago.....the torrent is still active

When it comes to VGP-255 "Hold On Tight"....it's a different recording than the vinyl with the same title. VGP-255 (w/ the screaming girls) is taken from same source as the vinyls "Preserve For Future" and "Discover New York"
It's not as great sounding or as "up-close" as the "real" Hold On Tight.....but it has more mood, as the audience are so lively....and there's a great atmosphere. ...I wouldn't do without neither of the 2 sources, but there's no doubt that the "original" Hold On Tight is the best sounding one.

The ultimate version is Falo's matrix, which he made from both these EX recordings

What did Falo do with these 2 different recordings,did he remaster? Is there artwork?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-21 08:25 by daytime.

Date: September 21, 2013 10:13

actually with 3 recordings,,its merged/matrix of 3 "sources"

Discover new york vinyl rip
Preserve for future vinyl rip
Hold on tight vinyl rip

Date: September 21, 2013 10:18

daytime
Erik_Snow
mickcawber

What did Falo do with these 2 different recordings,did he remaster? Is there artwork?

He "matrixed" them, meaning that both sources are to be used at the same time.
Captain Acid "remastered" them, afterwards

Hi Stones fanatics,

here it is Acid Project Vol 15, Live At MSG June 27th `75.

First of all i would like to thank Falo for initiating the work on this one. This is an amazing concert and i have never listened to it with much attention, until now.
Falo has matrixed vinyl rips of "Discover New York", "Preserve For Future", low gen tape source with vinyl rip of "Hold On Tight".
I did the usual : Azimuth misalignment, pitch, level correction and EQ !
I have also made flac files, fixed SBE errors, made checksum files with TLH.
Mr. D, has produced yet another amazing artwork and made a logo for Falo !

Date: September 21, 2013 10:20

marko
actually with 3 recordings,,its merged/matrix of 3 "sources"

Discover new york vinyl rip
Preserve for future vinyl rip
Hold on tight vinyl rip

What do you mean, Marko?
Discover New York and Preserve for Future are from the same taper, 1 of them feature the 1st half of the show, the other one feature the 2nd half.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home