Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Suggestions For DVD Traders
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 10, 2005 17:55

For those who are just beginning to trade DVDs it will be good to include the following information on your trade lists:

Quality of your copy
PAL or NTSC
Audience Shot or Pro Shot
Label or source if known (ie, Jointrip, MTV broadcast, etc.)

Most serious traders who can help you will want to know this. If you do not provide this many folks may not contact you.

There are many ways to rate quality and all are subjective, but here is one to consider that works reasonably well.

DVDs:
Quality ratings are subjective, general guideline is:
A+ Official digital quality Pro Shot
A Low generation VHS transfer Pro Shot
A- Medium generation VHS transfer or Excellent Audience Shot
B+ High generation VHS transfer Pro Shot or Very Good Audience Shot
B Average Audience Shot or low quality Pro Shot
B- Low quality Audience Shot
C For hard core collectors who need it no matter what
D Songs are barely recognizable

Re: Suggestions For DVD Traders
Posted by: gimmestones ()
Date: March 10, 2005 23:44

This makes total sense.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 11, 2005 19:34

Ever since I posted my DVD list I got about a dozen Stones trade lists without quality ratings. I have THOUSANDS of bootlegs in my collection. I am well past the point where I want anything and everything.

Date: March 11, 2005 20:20

Let's say all 12 lists you received had the one DVD you are interested in. Do you assume all 12 are identical first generation VHS transfers? How do you identify the best of the bunch?

Lets say 1 of the 12 has ratings, and rates many that you have so you can see if they are calling C grade stuff A quality just to make a trade. Are you more likely to make a trade when you know what you are getting?

Of course, it is always best to trade with people you know are reliable, timely, and use good media. When trading with people you don't know the chance of problems seems to go up with short lists (new traders), those who don't know if the disks are PAL or NTSC, and have no idea what the quality is. Many of the folks you would most like to trade with have established relationships and try to avoid riskier transactions. In a sense your trade list is like a resume that people will use to determine if they want to trade with you.

For example, look at bootcover's list and his ratings. You know what you are getting and he has a sufficient collection that one can reasonably conclude he didn't accumulate those by screwing people and must be a good trader.

Just a little food for thought.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 11, 2005 21:01

I definitely dont assume they are identical but I am tired of emailing asking about different DVDs. Thats annoying, unless its something I am desperate for, I am not really going to bother anymore. But I have done literally thousands of trades in my time and have had relatively few problems so I dont really sweat it. I dont even have PAL or NTSC on my list because my player automatically converts the signal so I sorta lost track early on. Doesnt really matter because most serious DVD traders have all region players.

Posted by: marston ()
Date: March 12, 2005 06:47

JUst relax and have fun trading. If you get a bad DVD it's not the end of the world. Blank DVD are really cheap now. All you are going to do with the DVD is put it on a shelf. Enjoy meeting all the people and have FUN!!!!! This a hobby not a job!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: March 14, 2005 14:15

I think the mention of PAL and NTSC is one bit of info I have no idea about, and I don't include on my list.

I'm with Dan here - my TV & player copes with either. It's actually more of a US thing. It seems that most US traders require NTSC (because that is their format) but don't have the capability to handle both formats....why is that?

Whenever anyone asks me (from the States) if they will be able to play it on their player, I have to say "I am not sure"...and the trade falls down. Is there a way to easily tell ??

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Date: March 14, 2005 22:13

Most software like DVD Decrypter, Nero etc. are capable of giving info on the disk including NTSC or PAL format.

Some people only look at things from their own perspective and wonder why trades fall apart or are not offered in the first place. If someone has what you want, and you are proposing a trade, then you are try to sell the other person on doing the trade with you. The most effective sales people see things from the buyers perspective and try to give them what they want. What most traders want to know is how good the quality of your product is and whether it will play on their machine. Why should they trade with you instead of 12 other people?

NTSC plays everywhere, PAL generally is for Europe and OZ. Given a choice between a PAL or NTSC copy, NTSC is more valuable because it doesn't have the limitations of PAL.

People are free to do as they please and put as little or as much effort into collecting as they like. Like everything in life, you get out what you put in. I have found that those that put a little more effort in their lists have a lot more offers coming their way and can be much more selective.

Date: March 15, 2005 07:18

But Steven - when you say NTSC is "more valuable" you are coming from a US perspective as sourced footage in PAL is ALOT more valuable for Europe & OZ traders rather than having it converted to NTSC where it will lose a little of it's quality !

Date: March 15, 2005 13:27

I would say 99% of the traders can't tell the difference between a PAL copy and a good digital NTSC conversion, particularly with a lot of the older footage which isn't all that clean to start with. There may be a few European traders who are quite particular, and you might want to keep both formats to satisfy them if they have something you are looking for, but in general I still think keeping ONLY PAL eliminates at least half the potential traders available to you. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one. :-)

In any case, it is very helpful to note which format the DVD is in.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 15, 2005 21:47

Esky,

All those I recieved worked perfectly....but not at first. I tried them on a PlaySTation2 and then 2 other DVD players and none of them worked. Then I took a chance and bought an extremely cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart and now all my DVDs work...on a cheap DVD player. LOL!!! So if you have other American traders just suggest that they head to their nearest Wal-Mart and buy a small/cheap Cyberlink DVD player for around $40 USD. THe small investment is worth it.

Date: March 16, 2005 03:20

...your old DVD player must of had an Australian lock on it smiling smiley)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 16, 2005 04:00

It's a good idea with a cheap DVD player. Mine only cost 500 Dkr (Same price as Four Flicks DVD set). There's nothing that won't play on it. It's because they use non-coded computer DVD players converted for normal playing in the cheap ones. The picture and sound could be a bit better of course, but when you're watching Ladies & Gentlemen with full hammer on the sound, who cares? It's great anyway...........
smiling smiley

Esky: When is your big day??? Getting married soon??? smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 16, 2005 09:20

nah not too soon JKF - looking at the summer of January 2007 - gives me enough time to work out if I made the right move smiling smiley

Date: March 16, 2005 12:51

Oh help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
There's a pain where there once was a heart
It's sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

Oh help me, please mama, I'm sick'ning
It's today that's the day of the plunge
Oh the gal I'm to marry
Is a bow-legged sow
I've been soakin' up drink like a sponge

"Don't ya worry, get dressed," cried my mother
As she plied me with bourbon so sour
Pull your socks up, put your suit on
Comb your long hair down,
For you will be wed in the hour

So help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
I'm sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please take it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

Oh help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
It's sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

I was tremblin', as I put on my jacket
It had creases as sharp as a knife
I put the ring in my pocket
But there was a note
And my heart it jumped into my mouth

It read, "Darlin', I'm sorry to hurt you.
But I have no courage to speak to your face.
But I'm down in Virginia with your cousin Lou
There be no wedding today."

So help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
You can put back my heart in its hole
Oh mama, I'm cryin'
Tears of relief
And my pulse is now under control

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 16, 2005 14:52

Well, congratulations once again. I'm 'appy for ya'. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home