Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What happened to VGP?
Posted by: epischedda ()
Date: December 20, 2004 11:52

Folks -

First-time user here.

I understand VGP live recordings frequently to be the best digital ones available. So what happened to VGP? I have a few live shows I'd like to get copies of but the only thing I have that anyone might want is a CD of their performance in Fort Worth, Texas on 7/17/78 - a fine show (that I was at), the recording of which I received directly from former Stones hanger-on Tony Sanchez - so I expect that I will have to buy what I want from a retail source. Can anyone provide me with a lead?

Re: What happened to VGP?
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 20, 2004 14:43

VGP is asleep.............

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 20, 2004 15:35

...asleep forever...

Posted by: silvertrain ()
Date: December 20, 2004 16:07

Maybe I can help you
pls contact me privately at
silvertrain@telefonica.net

Posted by: Half Nanker ()
Date: December 20, 2004 21:04

They are now Dogs N' Cats Records.

Date: December 20, 2004 22:18

Dear epischedda,

I am interested in your story. I am writing a book about the 1972 tour.
Can you please contact me at erwin@hoetjes.net.
Thanks
Schuine

Date: December 20, 2004 23:40

Re: Dogs N' Cats Records

Do you have a web-page address for them? Nothing shows up on the first two Google pages.

Ed

Posted by: gilles ()
Date: December 20, 2004 23:41

Dear epischedda,

maybe there's some hope for you
i think i can also help you

you can email at: megad78@aol.com if you want

thanks

Posted by: gsparaco ()
Date: December 21, 2004 06:04

You can check hotwacks.com

There is some info there plus a review of one of the releases.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 21, 2004 14:09

Can you tell us any more about Tony Sanchez? I thought by 1978 his realtionship with Keith was estranged to say the least.

Can you tell us any more about Tony Sanchez?
Date: December 21, 2004 15:38

In 2003 while procrastinating at work I found a website that rated and offered recordings of live RS performances. I submitted an inquiry and received a response asking for my address; shortly thereafter I received a mailer with 2 CD-R's covering one of the Stones' 1978 Fort Worth shows, supposedly the one at the Tarrant County Convention Center (but not, apparently, the show at Will Rogers Auditorium the previous night that I attended), which I'd asked for, fleshed out with recordings of their Ed Sullivan Show appearances in the 1960's, which I hadn't asked for. The return address on the mailer was for a "Tony Sanchez" with a Chicago address; it was handwritten and I still have it (though not with me at the moment).

When I e-mailed him back and asked what he wanted as compensation, he said he wanted "just [my] lovey-dovey". Since I loved the CD I thought the whole deal was an extraordinary coup on my part. I thanked him in a subsequent e-mail and pointed out a flaw in the Ed Sullivan recordings in case he was planning on sending out more, but I never heard from him again. Perhaps he felt the lovey was lacking, though it may have been the dovey, or both - what do you think? Considering myself very lucky anyway I didn't want to pester him further by asking for random freebies, and I didn't seek out the website again until recently, after getting a better idea of what I was after. In fact I was trying to find that same web-site again when I found you guys just the other day. I remember the site appeared to have been produced professionally: the graphics were sharp, attractive and everything worked very well.

The quality of the CD was terrific; the playing less so - it was inconsistent, but there are some absolute gems on the CD, "Love in Vain", "Tumbling Dice" and "Beast of Burden" in particular. It was clearly from the soundboard.

I was struck by how I had obtained such a treasure, and whether I was dealing with the real Tony Sanchez, the former Stone hanger-on. Since the Stones are notorious for screwing over their hired hands, someone close to them getting their soundboard tapes and distributing them for free would seem to be a good way to exact revenge on them, which, I thought until I received your point, suggested I probably was dealing with the real Tony Sanchez. However, if Sanchez was on the outs with them by '78, how did he get soundboard recordings from that tour? Your point makes me suspicious of the identity of the person who sent me my CD's.

I'm also unclear as which of the two shows in Fort Worth that year I really have a recording of - few of the tour date listings I've seen even acknowledge there was a Will Rogers show, but I know there was: I was there, and it was the originally-scheduled one; the TCCC show was added after the one I attended sold out in about two hours even after some amusingly cryptic advance publicity. The listing from which I requested my CD didn't acknowledge a Will Rogers show, so I question if the person who sent it to me really knows what they had. If he really was in a position to get a soundboard recording of the TCCC show, why wasn't he also able to get and offer a recording of the Will Rogers show too?

Has anybody else received a live Stones recording in a mailer with a return address for a "Tony Sanchez" in Chicago?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-21 22:51 by epischedda.

Re: Can you tell us any more about Tony Sanchez?
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 21, 2004 16:15

The Fort Worth soundboard has been released by TSP on Handsome Girls already before 2003.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 21, 2004 21:57

Next release will be Boston Fleetcenter 1999.......

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Oops
Date: December 21, 2004 22:24

Oops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-21 22:26 by epischedda.

Date: December 21, 2004 22:25

midnrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Fort Worth soundboard has been released by TSP
> on Handsome Girls already before 2003.

But it sounds like you're assuming that what I have is that same soundboard recording and not something new and different, given that what I have may have been sent to me by Tony Sanchez, though admittedly it may have been only some ordinary Joe using his name.

Any recommendations on where I can get the TSP recording so I can compare?

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 21, 2004 22:34

epischedda Wrote:
>
> But it sounds like you're assuming that what I
> have is that same soundboard recording and not
> something new and different, given that what I
> have may have been sent to me by Tony Sanchez,
> though admittedly it may have been only some
> ordinary Joe using his name.

Tony Sanchez was finished after Knebworth, 1976 (according to his own book). So you probably got this show from an ordinary Joe.........

Date: December 21, 2004 23:17

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> epischedda Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > But it sounds like you're assuming that what
> I
> > have is that same soundboard recording and
> not
> > something new and different, given that what
> I
> > have may have been sent to me by Tony
> Sanchez,
> > though admittedly it may have been only some
> > ordinary Joe using his name.
>
>
>
> Tony Sanchez was finished after Knebworth, 1976
> (according to his own book). So you probably got
> this show from an ordinary Joe.........
>
> So Keith, what was your inspiration naming the
> album Let it Bleed? 'I'll tell you what it would
> have been now: It would have been your face!'

OK - interesting. You're probably right. Still I think my CD's are great, and since he gave them to me at his own expense he can't be too ordinary....

Thanks for cluing me in.

If anyone wants to suggest a reliable source for "Handsome Girls", "Goregeous Girls" and some of the '72 shows, I'm listenting. I've been approached by a couple of people offering to sell me things off of their very long lists of recordings, but I'm receptive to additional recommendations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home