Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Q&A database
Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: February 20, 2022 17:34

hi
have been working with this simple but great and easy to handle database by Symanthec Corp for about 15 years, running on MS-DOS on Windows XP. That PC now down for good, wondering whether somebody out there has an updated version running on Windows 7 or 10

tks in advance

Re: OT Q&A database
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2022 18:05

Would be helpful if you list the name of the database software you have been using.

Date: February 20, 2022 18:07

Koen
Would be helpful if you list the name of the database software you have been using.

.....Q&A... !!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 20, 2022 18:30

Dorn

.....Q&A... !!

"Q&A was a database and word processing software program for IBM PC-compatible computers published by Symantec and partners from 1985 to 1998." - Wikipedia.

"Sesame Database Manager by Lantica Software is compatible with Symantec Q&A. Q&A users will find that Sesame uses many of the same keystrokes, the same search syntax, and almost the same programming syntax as used in a Q&A database. Sesame can also translate Q&A databases" - [www.Lantica.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-20 18:45 by Irix.

Date: February 20, 2022 19:00

Irix
Dorn

.....Q&A... !!

"Q&A was a database and word processing software program for IBM PC-compatible computers published by Symantec and partners from 1985 to 1998." - Wikipedia.

"Sesame Database Manager by Lantica Software is compatible with Symantec Q&A. Q&A users will find that Sesame uses many of the same keystrokes, the same search syntax, and almost the same programming syntax as used in a Q&A database. Sesame can also translate Q&A databases" - [www.Lantica.com] .

tks, i do know this page. a friend tried that software, it is only compatibe - not the same. some features are not available and copying data from old files not working properly. that is why i am looking for the original Q&A software for Windows.

Date: February 20, 2022 19:05

Dorn

That is why i am looking for the original Q&A software for Windows.

It'll be difficult: "In 1994, Symantec announced that it would no longer continue to develop Q&A. In September, 1998, all sales and support of Q&A were halted." - Wikipedia.

Date: February 20, 2022 19:20

Dorn

Some features are not available and copying data from old files not working properly.

Have you tried to export the data from Q&A into the dBASE-format and then importing them into a modern Database-Software?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 20, 2022 20:12

Dorn
Koen

.....Q&A... !!

Ahhhh.....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 21, 2022 00:46

Try this site [www.oldversion.com]

Date: February 21, 2022 00:55

NICOS

It's not there and this site is rather a Tools collection.

The original question was: "somebody out there has an updated version running on Windows 7 or 10" ?

Date: February 21, 2022 01:05

Irix
NICOS

It's not there and this site is rather a Tools collection.

The original question was: "somebody out there has an updated version running on Windows 7 or 10" ?

thumbs up

Date: February 21, 2022 01:10

Dorn

That is why i am looking for the original Q&A software for Windows.

You can run your original DOS-version via the DOSBox-Emulator under Windows 10/11 - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

"I have been using Q&A 4.0 under DOSBox for years. It seems to run flawlessly under DOSBox 0.72, 0.73, and 0.74. I have a fairly critical database that I have been updating with this combination, and I've never had a problem with it." - [www.DOSBox.com] .

You can also try the vDos-Emulator - [www.vDos.info] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-21 01:45 by Irix.

Date: February 21, 2022 12:33

Irix

You can run your original DOS-version via the DOSBox-Emulator under Windows 10/11 - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

"I have been using Q&A 4.0 under DOSBox for years. It seems to run flawlessly under DOSBox 0.72, 0.73, and 0.74. I have a fairly critical database that I have been updating with this combination, and I've never had a problem with it." - [www.DOSBox.com] .

You can also try the vDos-Emulator - [www.vDos.info] .

tks. i am not an IT expert, just a user - so this is a software i could download and my old Q&A would run with it ?

Date: February 21, 2022 13:05

Dorn

so this is a software i could download and my old Q&A would run with it ?

Yes, but it's maybe better then to get local help from someone else if you're not familiar with IT-, Software- and Database-Administration.

I would also look for local help to migrate now the old Q&A-Database to a modern DB-Software. This DOS-solution won't run eternally, at some point you have to do the step. Let the old DOS-version run parallel as Backup and Comparison. Export the Q&A data to the new DB-Software. Use the new Database and if there's a data-corruption you have still the old Q&A for comparison. Time flies and it'll be more difficult from year-to-year to migrate old data from obsolete Software to modern IT-solutions.

Date: February 21, 2022 13:55

Irix

Yes, but it's maybe better then to get local help from someone else if you're not familiar with IT.......
Export the Q&A data to the new DB-Software....

tks for your help IRIX
but that´s exactly why i am looking for the Symantec version for Windows.
To find a new DB-Software capeable of importing all the hundreds Rolling Stones files/details correctly from the old Q&A databse is close to impossible

Date: February 21, 2022 15:00

Dorn

To find a new DB-Software capeable of importing all the hundreds Rolling Stones files/details correctly from the old Q&A databse is close to impossible

I fully understand that problem now. There's an article 'Database Corruption Revisited' (PDF) on [www.Lantica.com] why it's not that easy to migrate a Q&A database. The issue lies in the complex structure of Q&A.

The solution of Q&A 4.0 (DOS) plus DOSBox-Emulator should run for a while (some years) under Windows 10/11. But there's no current Windows-version of Q&A except Sesame by Lantica.

Date: February 22, 2022 00:50

NICOS

There's a much better site: [Archive.org] - they have not only websites stored, but also books, movies, software, music, etc. There's also the DOS-version of Symantec Q&A v4.00 - [Archive.org] .

Date: February 22, 2022 01:20

Dorn

There's a US-Company who has many years of experience migrating Q&A-Databases to modern solutions - [CICorp.com] , [CICorp.com] .

Interesting remark by them what's so special about Q&A:

"Q&A was ahead of its time, far exceeding the ease of use of its competitor at the time, dBase II and III. Even after over 10 years, it can accommodate more characters per text field than any other database product on the market, and more fields per record. It has one of the only English language search functions available. But when Microsoft came out with FoxPro and Access, it took most of the database market away."

Date: February 22, 2022 01:22

Irix
NICOS

There's a much better site: [Archive.org] - they have not only websites stored, but also books, movies, software, music, etc. There's also the DOS-version of Symantec Q&A v4.00 - [Archive.org] .

Thanks Irix

Date: February 22, 2022 02:05

The version 4.0 was in 1993 also available for Windows:

You could try to run a (segregated) Windows 95/98 in a Virtual Machine (e.g. VirtualBox, VMware) which runs under the actual Windows 10/11. The old Win95/98 runs then the Q&A 4.0. Running the Windows-version of Q&A 4.0 directly on Windows 10/11 does fail because it's an old Software from 1993 with 16bit parts and the 64bit-versions of Windows don't support 16bit-Software anymore. There's also no 32bit-Edition of Windows 11. It might be that the DOS-version of Q&A 4.0 runs very slow via the DOSBox-Emulator under Windows. Perhaps the Windows-version of Q&A 4.0 runs better via a Virtual Machine.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2022 02:39

Q&A 2012 ........

ROCKMAN

Date: February 22, 2022 20:11

Irix
The version 4.0 was also available for Windows:

Perhaps the Windows-version of Q&A 4.0 runs better via a Virtual Machine.

tks , yes this is the version i was/am looking for .....

Date: February 22, 2022 22:40

Dorn

I've found the Windows-version 4.0 on [Archive.org] , but it's in German and Symantec changed even the product-name to German - from Q&A into F&A (Frage&Antwort = Question&Answer).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 12:55 by Irix.

Date: February 23, 2022 14:58

Irix
Dorn

I've found the Windows-version 4.0 in my archive, but it's in German and Symantec changed even the product-name to German - from Q&A into F&A (Frage&Antwort = Question&Answer).

may be you could contact me directly
ac.hagedorn@hamburg.de

Date: February 25, 2022 14:55

Dorn

Symantec F&A v4.00 für Windows (German). It runs with Win95/98. To run it with Windows 10/11 you need an additional Virtual Machine running Win95/98.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-05 13:30 by Irix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home