Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Orleans, July 13th 1978
Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: July 31, 2020 09:34

Taped by Freezer, upped by nightfly

THE ROLLING STONES
SUPERDOME
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
JULY 13, 1978
TAPER: FREEZER (unknown gen)

cd > eac > wav > tlh > flac (8)

Let It Rock
All Down The Line
Honky Tonk Woman
Star Star
When The Whip Comes Down
Beast Of Burden
Lies
Miss You
Just My Imagination
Shattered
Respectable
Far Away Eyes
Love In Vain
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Sweet Little Sixteen
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

mega - New Orleans

Re: New Orleans, July 13th 1978
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 31, 2020 10:26

Nothing new here (alas) :

it's the same old version that sounds muddy and overloaded, not the better one (part of which was released on "Freezer's Delight" aka "All the tapes you'll never get to hear cos I'm a selfish manipulative dick").

And I think the music runs a hair slow here...

My take on this is Parr went to this show with a friend they both taped the gig being physically close from each others in the venue (you can hear Freezer's distant whistlings numerous times).
Parr then circulated the inferior version (made with primitive gear) while he hoarded the good tape he made with his own high-quality gear.

C'est la vie... grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 11:44 by dcba.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 31, 2020 16:16

a new freezer appreciation thread ;-)
RIP, you "one of a kind" guy, to be polite....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 16:16 by falo01.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: July 31, 2020 19:22

There are quite a few good 1970s Louisiana recordings upped on Dime by Nightfly recently: Clapton, The Who, Yes, Bowie, Elton, more.

Is Freezer's Delight in StonesVault?

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 31, 2020 20:37

if you can sit thru this recording the gig is actually pretty rippin'...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 31, 2020 20:41

It is. I think Detroit and New Orleans got the best concerts of 1978.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 1, 2020 02:27

The sound quality is unacceptably poor for 1978.

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: August 1, 2020 08:48

HEILOOBAAS
The sound quality is unacceptably poor for 1978.

This calls for...CAPTAIN ACID !!!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:06

is this any different from the one i shared some time ago?

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 08:40

andrews27
There are quite a few good 1970s Louisiana recordings upped on Dime by Nightfly recently: Clapton, The Who, Yes, Bowie, Elton, more.

Is Freezer's Delight in StonesVault?
I'm Nightfly, and it's been my pleasure re-upping them old Freezer recordings over at Dime and Trader's Den. Some good stuff there, for sure. Get it while it's hot.

Yes, the late Mr Parr didn't share out all his goodies...as Miles would say, so what? Let's be grateful for what we DO have from his collection and leave it at that, shall we? We might have only got a smidge of Freezer's collection, but like I say I probably still have more Freezer recordings in my vast collection than any other taper- even Millard, Lampinski etc.

And to answer Marko's question, no, this is probably the same old NOLA '78 source recording that has made the rounds for years. I can't remember where I got mine...dozen years ago, probably. Coulda been from here for all I remember!grinning smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 2, 2020 09:41

loveyoulive75
get them old Freezer recordings over at Dime and Trader's Den. Some good stuff there, for sure. Get it while it's hot.

Yes, the late Mr Parr didn't share out all his goodies...as Miles would say, so what? Let's be grateful for what we DO have from his collection and leave it at that, shall we? We might have only got a smidge of Freezer's collection, but like I say I probably still have more Freezer recordings in my vast collection than any other taper- even Millard, Lampinski etc.
!grinning smiley

Yes let's be friends and pray, and maybe kiss a dolphin?

Or to be frank: the MM collections, they suck. Even the Baton Rouge Bowie 1978 do suck. And Baton Rouge 75.

End of

Date: August 2, 2020 10:55

Erik_Snow
loveyoulive75
get them old Freezer recordings over at Dime and Trader's Den. Some good stuff there, for sure. Get it while it's hot.

!grinning smiley

Yes let's be friends and pray, and maybe kiss a dolphin?

Or to be frank: the MM collections, they suck. Even the Baton Rouge Bowie 1978 do suck. And Baton Rouge 75.

End of
Ugh, kiss yer own dolphin, Eric, I'd rather listen to Freezer's tapes. grinning smiley

And as far as this new batch o' Millard masters coming out goes, I bet they'll be saving the really good stuff -like Mike's Stones '75 and Zeppelin '77 recordings- till the end. Millard's tapes are good, but I reckon a lot of Freezer's, as gen'd up and messed with as some of them are, are still better.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:22

What I fail to understand is why Parr felt the need to diss Millard. When he was in L.A. he met the West Coast taper and years after, on the TTD forum all he could remember is that Millard was "a mess".

Jealousy? That brings us to the Clash 1982 Warehouse gig... Parr couldn't fathom somone else might have taped the show (with great results btw) so he blew a fuse and simply refused to circulate his own tape... Jealousy again?

Date: August 2, 2020 15:46

dcba
What I fail to understand is why Parr felt the need to diss Millard. When he was in L.A. he met the West Coast taper and years after, on the TTD forum all he could remember is that Millard was "a mess".
To be fair, Mike Millard probably was a mess. His mental issues, for lack of a better term, have been well documented over the years. Not, mind ya, that given some of his own tactics, Art Parr was a modicum of sanity and rational behaviour at all times, either...I liked the guy, never had any issues with him personally in our few communications, but I also figured Freezer was crazier than a s--thouse rat, in both good and bad ways...

dcba
Jealousy? That brings us to the Clash 1982 Warehouse gig... Parr couldn't fathom somone else might have taped the show (with great results btw) so he blew a fuse and simply refused to circulate his own tape... Jealousy again?
I sorta get the idea Freezer liked the idea of being pretty much the ONLY guy taping in the NOLA/Red Stick area for many years until young upstarts came along in the late 70's to steal some of his thunder. Then he got pissy as he usually did whenever his perceived supremacy was challenged.

That said, I have a couple of early 80's Baton Rouge area shows (The Police, Van Halen) that I didn't include in my "Freezer Flood" because I'm not 100% certain the estimable Mr Parr taped those gigs personally or if some other Red Stick taper did. They're decent recordings no matter who taped 'em but I certainly wouldn't want to give Freezer the credit for something he didn't tape!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home