Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

TOTP April 22, 1971
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: April 12, 2020 09:26

Does anyone know, what happened to the Top Of The Pops show from April 22, 1971?

In March, the Stones shot 3 videos for the show, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses and Bitch. All tracks with live vocals on backing tracks. Brown Sugar was aired on April 15 and also as a video in front of live guests in the german tv show 'Disco 71' . A complete version can be seen as a bonus on the Marquee Club DVD 'From The Vault'.

On April 22 another Top Of The Pops show was aired, this time featuring Wild Horses and Bitch. Nearly every show has been re-broadcasted a view times in the bbc and on zdf-neo or 3-Sat tv. But not this one. All whats left, seems to be an audio tape in poor quality, maybe recorded with a cassette recorder in front of the tv.

Maybe the show was running in other countries, or someone taped it in better quality? Or is this show completely lost, like so many in the early 60ies?

I would be pleased, if someone can tell me more about it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-27 20:54 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Re: TOTP April 22, 1971
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 12, 2020 09:48

It may or may not have been located/offered for the Sticky Fingers anniversary edition, and it may or may not have been rejected for use by those putting the project together. I may also just be remembering this about another audio source. This is possibly one of the 'lost/destroyed' tapes.

Other contributors to this board that know video have a more concrete answer, and I'll leave it to them to decide to offer more details.

There are also still photos from the performance. There were wardrobe changes from the Brown Sugar portion.

If you look on this collage poster (linked here) - below Aftermath and above Stone Age you can see a live shot of the band. Mick, wearing a hat at the mic with Kieth. (I had this poster, that's why I know the image) This is purportedly a still from that performance. I've seen the image elsewhere, but can't recall where - perhaps even here.

[www.flickr.com]

J

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-12 10:03 by JMARKO.

Date: April 12, 2020 10:08

JMARKO
It may or may not have been located/offered for the Sticky Fingers anniversary edition, and it may or may not have been rejected for use by those putting the project together. I may also just be remembering this about another audio source. This is possibly one of the 'lost/destroyed' tapes.

Other contributors to this board that know video have a more concrete answer, and I'll leave it to them to decide to offer more details.

There are also still photos from the performance. There were wardrobe changes from the Brown Sugar portion.

If you look on this collage poster (linked here) - below Aftermath and above Stone Age you can see a live shot of the band. Mick, wearing a hat at the mic with Kieth. (I had this poster, that's why I know the image) This is purportedly a still from that performance. I've seen the image elsewhere, but can't recall where - perhaps even here.

[www.flickr.com]

J

Thanks, there is another poster from that performance in the 3rd singles box from 2005 "Singles 1968-1971"

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: April 12, 2020 10:55

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 12, 2020 12:09

j.b.goode
rs: totp 1971

This link does not offer more than already written above...

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 12, 2020 19:12

wiredallnight
j.b.goode
rs: totp 1971

This link does not offer more than already written above...

It does offer more photos showing Keith with a 12-string acoustic for the miming of Wild Horses, which also has an alternate slide guitar track.

But none with Mick wearing the hat, which must have been for Bitch?? And Keith at the mic for Bitch? Confusing.

Nice catch on the photo in the Singles Box book.

Date: April 12, 2020 19:22

I was hoping, that someone can remember the show. It was pre video recorder time, our only chance to see bitch and wild horses will be to re-air the show. My hope is, that other countries aired the show later on, so that both tracks are not lost. It would be nice to hear them in better quality. A bad sign is, that all the shows before and after got re-aired.

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: April 12, 2020 19:52

rolling stones searching footage video from 22 april 1971 on totp

just sound on VGP-100:
3 Bitch
4 Wild Horses
Tracks 3-4: 1971-04-22: 'Top Of The Pops' (BBC), London, UK

Date: April 12, 2020 20:26

j.b.goode
rolling stones searching footage video from 22 april 1971 on totp

just sound on VGP-100:
3 Bitch
4 Wild Horses
Tracks 3-4: 1971-04-22: 'Top Of The Pops' (BBC), London, UK

Thanks for your efforts! A good reason for a big beer one day :-). The VGP Versions & the YT Video seem to have the same source. Good, that the audio tracks are there. Sad, that we can't hear them in better quality. I hope, this is not the end of the story, we'll see what happens.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: April 12, 2020 22:32

VideoJames posted a while back that he has video for the two songs, in this thread:

[iorr.org]

VideoJames
Yes, I am working on both projects, I have submitted a 30 second sampler of Bitch & Wild Horses from the April 1971 Top of the Pops broadcast from the mastertape.
I am awaiting their decision, it could go to either the Marquee or Sticky Fingers project Many, many years ago I had a friend who's job at the BBC was to Bulk erase various TV shows..(yes you heard it... "bulk erase" TV shows). He had the foresight to realise some of these shows were worth keeping. He has quite a private collection, I was able to get a bunch of shows before they were erased forever. So many shows were lost,to make room to tape other shows. Master Tapes were very expensive to keep and storage was costly also, so it was cost effective to record over shows. This was a practice done with American TV shows also. This practice is still going on today, you would think they would have learn, but at least it is not anywhere near what was erased back in the 60's & 70's. I worked at Atlantic Records in the 70's and help with their library, I saved alot of tapes and films that were about to get thrown out in the garbage. Sadly many things were thrown out before I got there. I knew someone that worked at one record company that found boxes of tapes "In the garbage" that later ended up to be some of the rarest things around and still not bootlegged! This is one of the reason when people ask, "where is that show or film" that's what happened they got erased for the shows like "How to make a peanut butter sandwich". Oh! One other thing while on the topic, You won't believe what amazing recording were lost for "LATE PAYMENT" at storage houses. I was ask to locate some famous things and that is what happened, I won't mention what shows they were to save face to the people in charge to keep a eye on them..

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
I thought these videos had already been found:

"The Rolling Stones played Top Of The Pops on 22nd April 1971, where they performed three songs from Sticky Fingers; Wild Horses, Bitch, and this version of Brown Sugar.
Wild Horses and Bitch are missing, have you seen them? We're on the hunt for this classic footage!"

[www.facebook.com]

Yeah, wasn't it VideoJames who provided it for them?

Yep, that's what he posted here, as far as I remember.

Date: April 12, 2020 23:45

That was very interesting. Thanks for the story.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: April 14, 2020 06:46

JMARKO

[www.flickr.com]

J

that photo belongs to the rehearsals in Malmo 70

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home