Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request : Wild Horses / Brown Sugar Alternate Early Hot Rocks Versions
Date: December 7, 2014 00:08

Lossless CD Quality or Above would be the best. Please. It would be appreciated.

Re: Request : Wild Horses / Brown Sugar Alternate Early Hot Rocks Versions
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:11

Check your inbox.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 7, 2014 16:48

Thank You very much !!

Posted by: opj ()
Date: December 7, 2014 18:58

I would like to have them too, could you post them here.

Date: December 7, 2014 19:04

opj
I would like to have them too, could you post them here.

'Fraid not, they're considered to be official stuff.
My email isn't hidden.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 7, 2014 22:55

Interesting, "Official stuff?"

This Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were officially released on the first version of Hot Rocks in 1971 by mistake. Technically, they are official but you couldn't buy them anywhere. It wouldn't hurt sales any if they were offered here. But they are official. I'd think it'd be OK to offer them here but it would technically brake the rule of offing official material here.

Here's more info for those who are new to the so-called "Shelley Hot Rocks."

-----Hot Rocks-----

'Shelley Hot Rocks'

The Rolling Stones' US greatest hits compilation "Hot Rocks" was pressed in multiple record plants throughout the country when it was first released. Somehow, one of the plants was sent the wrong takes of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses. For roughly two weeks, these takes were pressed into vinyl before the error was corrected. An unknown but small number of these records were sold to the unsuspecting public.

For a little more information, go to [www.beatzenith.com] and scroll down to Who Is "Shelley"? Note that these Hot Rocks versions are close to those in "Gimme Shelter" but are mixed differently, and are complete takes as well.

The Rolling Stones
"Hot Rocks" original LP "Shelley" pressing

1. Brown Sugar
2. Wild Horses

-----Hot Rocks-----

'Shelley Hot Rocks'

ABKCO in the late 60’s and early 70’s used Sterling Sound for the mastering of their records, besides the matrix numbers on the record; the engineer who was mastering the record that day would also write his name or his nick name on the vinyl also. This practice was and is very common when a record is pressed. If you check the names at Sterling Sound in NYC I’m sure you will find someone named Shelly (Last name or first name) or with that nick name who worked there in 1971. Well this is the most likely scenario for what you asked about although not the only reason Shelly would be on the record

-----Hot Rocks-----

'Shelley Hot Rocks'

11/18/71 is the earliest date known. But “Shelly” did not put B.S. & W.H. on by error. Seems ABKCO was still doing business with the Stones back in December 1969 and controlled all the masters. Sometime in 1970 the Stones had a falling out with their label. So when ABKCO decided to put out “Hot Rocks” in 1971 (ABKCO no longer represented the Stones by then) they had the masters from the 1969 Muscle Shoals Studio sessions. When ABKCO did a first pressing of “Hot Rocks” it had the Muscle Shoals Studio version of B.S. & W.H. on it.

Upon hearing this pressing Mick J. flew into NYC and met with Allan Klien and asked he would use the new and improved B.S. & W.H., A.K. said no problem & changed the mastering of the “Hot Rock” L.P. so that is the story.

This rare version of Hot Rocks has 11/18/81 scratched in to the matrix groove on side four. Don't just look for "Shelley."

-----Hot Rocks-----

[www.iorr.org]

If anybody just wants to hear them, they are apparantly on the Yellow Dog Black Box Bonus disc (YD2000), which claims they are taken from the withdrawn USA "Hot Rocks"

-----Hot Rocks-----

[www.beatzenith.com]

Who Is "Shelley"?

Could it be a reference to famed poet Percy Shelley?, a poet whose 'Adonais' Mick Jagger recited in memory of Brian Jones at Hyde Park, London? Perhaps it was for the Rolling Stones' French press agent June Shelley? In fact, it's neither. This notation is indicative of an item from the Shelley Products Ltd. pressing plant (closed in the mid-1980's) of Long Island, NY and it makes a big difference on the double-album Hot Rocks 1964-1971.

On the master plate used for the initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971) of the album Hot Rocks, alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were featured. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter.

Since there was no clear indication on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71 on side 4 to determine if it is indeed a true first pressing and that these alternate takes are present.

The name ‘Shelley’ reappeared for a short time afterwards with either a later date or no date at all.

-----Hot Rocks-----

Hot Rocks 1964-1971 An impressive collection of tracks from the Decca/London catalog that does not limit itself to hit singles as the previous Big Hits albums did. Skipping on several hit songs from 1964 which they did not write and passing up 1963 altogether, Hot Rocks 1964-1971 concentrates on their most effective and influential recordings up to and including Brown Sugar. There are 6 US #1 singles featured, as well as album tracks Gimme Shelter, Under My Thumb, the complete Sympathy For the Devil, and Midnight Rambler (live) from Ya-Ya's. Overlaps 6 of the 12 U.S. Big Hits (high tide and green grass) selections, and 7 of the 11 from Through the Past, Darkly (big hits v. 2). Not issued for the UK market until until 21 May, 1990 to coincide with the Urban Jungle tour in support of Steel Wheels. The 1986 Abkco virgin vinyl remasters were used for the UK edition.Important note: the earliest pressings of the US LP had alternate takes of both Brown Sugar and Wild Horses, and is highly sought after by collectors.

-----Hot Rocks-----

Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let It Rock single was mono in the UK. The Brown Sugar single is a different mix indeed. It especially becomes clear during the last few seconds of the song, when Jimmy Miller says "Allright" followed by Keiths famous "Yeah". On the album, you only hear Keith, but not Jimmy.

Extra trivia: These mono mixes from the single were not used when the Mono Sticky Fingers Promotion Album were released to radio stations. Instead it uses fold downs from the stereo mix.

author unknown

-----Hot Rocks-----

I found this online: Ronkanefiles's Blog [ronkanefiles.wordpress.com]

Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks 1” CD

There is an extremely desirable Rolling Stones CD that isn’t an SA-CD: “Hot Rocks 1” (London / Polydor Japan P25L 25047, released 1989). No idea how it happened, but…
This disc is truly unique: 10 of the 12 songs on this CD are in true stereo! In TRUE STEREO: “Time Is On My Side”, “Heart Of Stone”, “Play With Fire”, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “Get Off My Cloud”, “Mother’s Little Helper”, “Paint It Black”, “Under My Thumb”, “Ruby Tuesday” and “Let’s Spend The Night Together” – only “As Tears Go By” and “19th Nervous Breakdown” are in mono. Here are true stereo versions of the above listed tracks that are not currently available (not even on the ’02 SA-CD’s!). Want to hear “Satisfaction” in true stereo? This disc is the way…

So, whenever tapes were being pulled – somehow a properly mixed “Satisfaction” in true stereo made it’s way to both Germany and Japan in the late 80’s – could this possibly have something to do with the MFSL boxed set of LP’s? Of course, in the late 80’s – there were no “CD mastering” credits on this CD.

For years, I’ve chased lots of ‘true stereo’ songs by The Rolling Stones – such as the groovy stuff on “No. 2” that found it’s way to CD in Japan, much of it in true stereo – again, in the late 80’s. I’m really bummed that the ’02 SA-CD’s don’t seem to be so adventurous – they (the ’02 SA-CD’s) do, however, all sound fairly uniformly great. It was just super that Abkco gave you a choice between the US or UK version of “Between The Buttons” and “Aftermath”. The original British Decca LP of “Aftermath” is one of my longest held personal beliefs in the strength of ‘rock music’.

It’s nearly impossible to tell if a German version of the “Hot Rocks 1” CD is a stereo version unless you pop it in a CD player and listen to it – but the Japanese editions: much easier – there are several editions of “Hot Rocks 1”, but if you stick with finding a Japanese London / Polydor P25L 25047 disc, you’ll get there. As far as I know, none of the US versions of “Hot Rocks” as a double CD have the desirable true stereo songs.

It hits you immediately when you first hear “Satisfaction” in true stereo – did you know that there’s a piano on that track? You can hear it in the stereo version! I confess that the true stereo “Get Off Of My Cloud” also rattled my cage – wow, sure never heard this before! It is so super cool to hear these stereo versions! Dang!

As stereo is generally very common, record companies are now re-releasing mono versions of The Beatles, Bob Dylan etc. – as many people never heard those mixes / versions. But it’s astonishing to go the other direction and hear something in nice wide stereo, after you’ve been used to it being in mono for decades.
The topic of mono vs. stereo is best left for the ‘Stereo bulletin board’ at the Both Sides Now Website: [bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com]

Here's some more HR Info found on ebay:

The Rolling Stones' "London" labeled Hot Rocks 1 mastered by MFSL pressed by Japan Polydor - Long Out of Print, Hard to Find Now!
Hot Rock 1 POCD-1927

The Rolling Stones' "London" labeled CDs, mastered by MFSL, were issued in Japan by Polydor Japan until the end of 1997.
Polydor Japan pressed "Hot Rocks 1" CD which has most of its tracks, incl. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud and Play With Fire in true stereo, does not have the notorious fade ups on any songs.

The first Polydor German pressed version (the one with the red slanted banner "digitally remastered" in the upper-left side corner of the cover) does not have the notorious fade ups either, while later Polydor German pressed versions do (the faded tracks are: 3. Play With Fire, 4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, 10. Under My Thumb, 12. Let's Spend The Night Together).

This CD is POCD-1927. Please note that P33L, P25L, and the first pressed POCD series were all made of the same masters. The different catalog numbers were given due to the changes of Japanese comsumption tax amount and the CD's retail list price. Each time they changed, new Obi strips (which list the retail price w/ consumption tax) and new catalog numbers were given.

For Information about CDs by The Rolling Stones on the London label: [home.arcor.de]

For Information about the Rolling Stones in Stereo: [www.lukpac.org]

So this information raises questions to compare "Hot Rocks 1" POCD-1927 (1995) with "Hot Rocks 1" P25L-25047 Japan (1989). I imagine both CDs to have identical MFSL mastering? No fade-ins? I presume, going by release dates only that "Hot Rocks 1" POCD-1927 has better sound since CD technology was better by 1995. I own POCD-1927 (on HD) and I have P25L-2547 coming by post (hopefully today).

From different information I read, it seems these MFSL wide-stereo mixes on CD were released only from 1984-1995. Correct?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2014 23:17

Very nice post, exilestones! thumbs up

Date: December 8, 2014 00:10

exilestones

-----Hot Rocks-----

I found this online: Ronkanefiles's Blog [ronkanefiles.wordpress.com]

Rolling Stones “Hot Rocks 1” CD

There is an extremely desirable Rolling Stones CD that isn’t an SA-CD: “Hot Rocks 1” (London / Polydor Japan P25L 25047, released 1989). No idea how it happened, but…
This disc is truly unique: 10 of the 12 songs on this CD are in true stereo! In TRUE STEREO: “Time Is On My Side”, “Heart Of Stone”, “Play With Fire”, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “Get Off My Cloud”, “Mother’s Little Helper”, “Paint It Black”, “Under My Thumb”, “Ruby Tuesday” and “Let’s Spend The Night Together” – only “As Tears Go By” and “19th Nervous Breakdown” are in mono. Here are true stereo versions of the above listed tracks that are not currently available (not even on the ’02 SA-CD’s!). Want to hear “Satisfaction” in true stereo? This disc is the way…

So, whenever tapes were being pulled – somehow a properly mixed “Satisfaction” in true stereo made it’s way to both Germany and Japan in the late 80’s – could this possibly have something to do with the MFSL boxed set of LP’s? Of course, in the late 80’s – there were no “CD mastering” credits on this CD.

For years, I’ve chased lots of ‘true stereo’ songs by The Rolling Stones – such as the groovy stuff on “No. 2” that found it’s way to CD in Japan, much of it in true stereo – again, in the late 80’s. I’m really bummed that the ’02 SA-CD’s don’t seem to be so adventurous – they (the ’02 SA-CD’s) do, however, all sound fairly uniformly great. It was just super that Abkco gave you a choice between the US or UK version of “Between The Buttons” and “Aftermath”. The original British Decca LP of “Aftermath” is one of my longest held personal beliefs in the strength of ‘rock music’.

It’s nearly impossible to tell if a German version of the “Hot Rocks 1” CD is a stereo version unless you pop it in a CD player and listen to it – but the Japanese editions: much easier – there are several editions of “Hot Rocks 1”, but if you stick with finding a Japanese London / Polydor P25L 25047 disc, you’ll get there. As far as I know, none of the US versions of “Hot Rocks” as a double CD have the desirable true stereo songs.

It hits you immediately when you first hear “Satisfaction” in true stereo – did you know that there’s a piano on that track? You can hear it in the stereo version! I confess that the true stereo “Get Off Of My Cloud” also rattled my cage – wow, sure never heard this before! It is so super cool to hear these stereo versions! Dang!

As stereo is generally very common, record companies are now re-releasing mono versions of The Beatles, Bob Dylan etc. – as many people never heard those mixes / versions. But it’s astonishing to go the other direction and hear something in nice wide stereo, after you’ve been used to it being in mono for decades.
The topic of mono vs. stereo is best left for the ‘Stereo bulletin board’ at the Both Sides Now Website: [bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com]

Here's some more HR Info found on ebay:

The Rolling Stones' "London" labeled Hot Rocks 1 mastered by MFSL pressed by Japan Polydor - Long Out of Print, Hard to Find Now!
Hot Rock 1 POCD-1927

The Rolling Stones' "London" labeled CDs, mastered by MFSL, were issued in Japan by Polydor Japan until the end of 1997.
Polydor Japan pressed "Hot Rocks 1" CD which has most of its tracks, incl. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud and Play With Fire in true stereo, does not have the notorious fade ups on any songs.

The first Polydor German pressed version (the one with the red slanted banner "digitally remastered" in the upper-left side corner of the cover) does not have the notorious fade ups either, while later Polydor German pressed versions do (the faded tracks are: 3. Play With Fire, 4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, 10. Under My Thumb, 12. Let's Spend The Night Together).

This CD is POCD-1927. Please note that P33L, P25L, and the first pressed POCD series were all made of the same masters. The different catalog numbers were given due to the changes of Japanese comsumption tax amount and the CD's retail list price. Each time they changed, new Obi strips (which list the retail price w/ consumption tax) and new catalog numbers were given.

For Information about CDs by The Rolling Stones on the London label: [home.arcor.de]

For Information about the Rolling Stones in Stereo: [www.lukpac.org]

So this information raises questions to compare "Hot Rocks 1" POCD-1927 (1995) with "Hot Rocks 1" P25L-25047 Japan (1989). I imagine both CDs to have identical MFSL mastering? No fade-ins? I presume, going by release dates only that "Hot Rocks 1" POCD-1927 has better sound since CD technology was better by 1995. I own POCD-1927 (on HD) and I have P25L-2547 coming by post (hopefully today).

From different information I read, it seems these MFSL wide-stereo mixes on CD were released only from 1984-1995. Correct?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 25, 2015 02:19

Can anyone email me both tracks?
I used to have it but I can't found it on my PC

Thanks!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 25, 2015 09:32

georgelicks

Thanks!
Done! Enjoy it friend! And say ty to Deltics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 09:51 by Quique-stone.

Date: May 25, 2015 11:02

Quique-stone
georgelicks

Thanks!
Done! Enjoy it friend! And say ty to Deltics!

>grinning smiley<
My email still isn't hidden!
winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:05

That version of WH is very good, much better and fuller than the recent alternate version. I didn't miss the slide at all. Only pity it's not in stereo.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 25, 2015 19:34

Shelley Hot Rocks Link

This is a different download than the one circulated on a private mailing list.

Posted by: Antonio218 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 23:23

Many Thanks. Much appreciated

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:02

Antonio218
Many Thanks. Much appreciated

Thanks exilestones!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:52

Just beautiful - thanks for the treasure.

Wild Horses, along with Sticky Fingers LP was amazing on the 'Headphones' in the summer of 1971 for me

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: June 14, 2015 15:04

can anybody repost the WT link please please ?? thanx & regards

Date: June 14, 2015 16:43

File Factory link:
[www.filefactory.com]

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: June 14, 2015 21:17

Deltics
File Factory link:
[www.filefactory.com]

Thank you Deltics thumbs up

Posted by: rek53 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 16:23

Can someone please share these tracks with me? FLAC?lossless? Thanks!

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: June 19, 2019 19:26

rek53

Not from bootleg, from my vinyl.

Flac

[we.tl]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: June 19, 2019 20:35

LiveAtHidepark
rek53

Not from bootleg, from my vinyl.

Flac

[we.tl]

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: rek53 ()
Date: June 19, 2019 22:56

Thanks!

Posted by: ahgriorr ()
Date: June 20, 2019 02:26

Thanks

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: June 20, 2019 03:24

OMFG! I bless the day I was born with ears to hear! If anybody is curious as to why fans camped out for days to buy tickets then camped out for days outside the arenas in `1972 to see the Stones, these two songs contain the proof.

One thing I noticed, and I would like to see if anybody else hears it. We all thing Mick sings, "Drums beat cold/English blood runs hot," even the published lyrics are printed as such.

But HE DOES NOT!

He sings, "Drums BEATIN' cold/English blood runs hot." I am listening to this on my labtop speakers and am not under the influence of anything which would cause a distortion to reality.

Listen to this and tell me what you think. The survival of the free wairld could hang in the balance.

Oh, yeah... kiitos bien. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-20 03:26 by HEILOOBAAS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home