Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Look What We`ve Done - CaptainAcidRemaster MONO & STEREO
Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: January 31, 2012 09:36

Hi Stones fanatics,
here it is, my second take on the Chess sessions.Now i have made THE MONO version (black and white cover) with all of the tracks in MONO. And another version with all available tracks in STEREO and the rest of the disc in MONO (sepia cover).
So this being an Acid Project Vol 005 (first version - mono & stereo,purple cover),
MONO version is 005M
and MORE STEREO version is 005S.

Before you ask why i did not make it like this in the first place? The answer is that on the first version i was kind of recreating and upgrading previous bootlegs of Chess tracks. (VGP,Sister Morphine, 2120 Michigan Avenue-bootleg)

Captain Acid

By captain_acid at 2012-01-30

Here is the original info:

Hi Stones fanatics
Well this one is real good, this is:

THE GREAT LOST STONES BLUES ALBUM

"The Rolling Stones - Look What We`ve Done"_Chess Sessions_AcidProject Vol 05
Well of course it was never planed to be released like this. Or some say it was.
The Unreleased 1964 Blues Album, aka The Rolling Stones "Confessin` The Blues" At Chess Studios,
Chicago.
For me the things started happening the moment The Stones entered Chess studios in June of 1964.
For the first time there was someone in the studio who understood what kind of sound they wanted
and needed. The change was unbelievable, suddenly the band had matured and mastered that nasty
groove of theirs.
It will serve them very well from that moment on.

I always wanted to deal with those recordings and make my version of it. My first album of this
material was Sister Morphine`s, " The Chess Sessions". But i did not like the sound on it. It was, shall we say "over - remastered", very compressed and brick - walled, harsh sounding to my ears.
I had another 2 compilations, "Chicago Chess Sessions" by VGP and 2120 Michigan Avenue ( I got from Viva Los Bootlegs ).VGP had the best sound but i liked very much the track list on "2120 MA". So i have started
working on my version, and there were quite a few. Before this final one.

Mr D was very involved, he was checking everything about what sessions, what dates, he is much better with that, than me. He also suggested we change "YOU" to"WE", in the title for "Look What We`ve Done". And of course he did another legendary artwork.

So the track-list was taken from "2120 MA", but everything else is so much different. I guarantee you that you have never heard those recordings, this good ( meaning, warm - natural ).

I`m real proud of this one.First i have found the best sources( VGP, Sister Morphine, Viva Los Bootlegs, Unsurpassed Masters, Rest Of The Best[DAC], Strictly Stereo and other sources).
Than pitch, phase and level corrected, where needed. After that i did some gentle EQ-ing. The most trouble i had with the tracks i had to take from "Sister Morphine". I was trying to sort of un-remaster them. And with the help of Equalizer i have tried to get rid of those ugly and nasty frequencies, and make the tracks sound warmer and more natural ( analog ) sounding.

This album is working amazingly well. I am hooked on it for 2 weeks. The more i listen to it the more i like it. Those songs together just create some magic. It really does sound like THE STONES LOST BLUES ALBUM.
And now for the first time you can hear it in all it`s raw and primitive glory.

Enjoy

Captain Acid January 2012

"The Rolling Stones - Look What We`ve Done"
Chess Studios Sessions 1964 - 1965
Acid Project Vol 05
Remastered By Captain Acid 2012

Tracklist

Recorded At Chess Studio Chicago, USA, 2120 South Michigan Avenue, 10/11 June 1964:
1 - It's All Over Now 3:24
2 - I Can't Be Satisfied 3:25
3 - Stewed And Keefed 4:07
4 - Around And Around 3:02
5 - Confessin' The Blues 2:46
6 - Down In The Bottom 2:42
7 - Empty Heart 2:36
8 - Hi- Heel Sneakers 2:57
9 - Down The Road Apiece 2:54
10 - If You Need Me 2:02
11 - Look What You've Done 2:18
12 - Tell Me Baby 1:53
13 - Time Is On My Side (Version 1) 2:52
14 - Reelin' And Rockin' 3:36
15 - Don't You Lie To Me 1:59
16 - 2120 South Michigan Avenue 3:40

Recorded At Chess Studio, 8 November 1964:
17 - What A Shame 3:04
18 - Fanny Mae 2:12
19 - Little Red Rooster 3:06
20 - Time Is On My Side (Version 2) 3:00
21 - Goodbye Girl 2:08
22 - Key To The Highway 3:18
23 - Mercy, Mercy (Version 1) 2:43

Recorded At Chess Studio, 10 May 1965:
24 - Mercy, Mercy (Version 2) 2:45
25 - That's How Strong My Love Is 2:24
26 - The Under-Assistant West Coast Promotion Man 3:22
27 - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 2:44

Lineage : All tracks downloaded in flac > Remastered in Soundforge 10.0 Pro > checksum and all with TLH

MONO
[hotfile.com]

more STEREO version
[hotfile.com]

Re: Look What We`ve Done - CaptainAcidRemaster MONO & STEREO
Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: January 31, 2012 11:38

Gile, I don't dare posting hotfile links publicly.
At my end it says "don't share this page to others"

Date: January 31, 2012 11:43

stonesmuziekfan

Why? is something wrong with it?

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: January 31, 2012 11:46

The artwork looks beautiful, so sure is Captain Acid work. Can't wait to grab this.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: January 31, 2012 11:57

CaptainAcid
stonesmuziekfan

Why? is something wrong with it?

Guess you don't get such a message in the top of the screen after finishing the upload ?

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: January 31, 2012 13:33

Hi,
Very nice productions! Thanks.
But, as you have added bonus tracks to the stereo version that only fit on an extra cd, why not include an edit of Satisfaction I (from Shindig May 20 1965).
Also one question about It's all over now, edit. What was your reconstruction-job here? Did you use the original US 7' single edit or did you (re) construct one yourself?
Cheers,
Alex.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 31, 2012 14:10

Excellent work, Captain and terrific artwork by Mr.D. Many thanks.

To answer stonesmuziekfan, it says this on the site:

Welcome to Hotfile.com - Free one-click file hosting! With us you can share big files easily and securely:
Just choose a file, click the "Upload" button and send the download link to your friends and anyone you know.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Greg44 ()
Date: January 31, 2012 14:30

Hi Captain,
On a present dreary "landscape after a battle" your work really shines.
My first memories of early Stones come from music postcards. Does anybody remember the sound? "To se ne wraci" - as the Czechs used to say. However, this kind of sound still makes my heart beating faster :-) Those parties!!! Eh...

Remarks: my heart wouldn't cry when Empty Heart would be replaced by Cry To Me (if it comes from same the sessions) or delightful Oh Baby, We Got A Good Thing Going and longer version of Tell Me. Maybe you could add them as Bonus II, hm?
I'm also sure that asking Eric Snow for a favour would result with more atmospheric front cover (particularly in case of B&W) but this is only my taste.
Warmest hugs,
Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 14:32 by Greg44.

Date: January 31, 2012 17:05

@ Also one question about It's all over now, edit. What was your reconstruction-job here? Did you use the original US 7' single edit or did you (re) construct one yourself?

No, i do not have an original US single vinyl, or in lossless.I have made my own edit using the single edit as template.(i have received similar reconstruction from blakeeik)

Date: January 31, 2012 17:16

Ah and another thing, i have put 2 bonus tracks twice,by mistake.Sorry.
I am sure you all have wishes what song would be better instead some other, but i was trying to stay with Chess studios or if necessary with replacements.
Check out here what was recorded in Chess.64-65

640610C 10th June: Chicago, Chess Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer: Ron
Malo.
- I Can't Be Satisfied (McKinley Morganfield) -The Rolling Stones No. 2-version
- It's All Over Now I (Bobby and Shirley Womack) -7“-version
- It's All Over Now II (Bobby and Shirley Womack) -US-single-edit
- Stewed And Keefed (Nanker Phelge) -STU on piano; instrumental
- Time Is On My Side I (Jerry Ragavoy) -with organ intro by STU; unverified early
version

640611D 11th June: Chicago, Chess Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer: Ron
Malo.
- Around And Around (Chuck Berry) -STU on piano; Five By Five-version
- Confessin' The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann) -STU on piano;
Five By Five-version
- Down In The Bottom (Willie Dixon)
- Down The Road Apiece (Don Raye) -STU on piano; The Rolling Stones
No. 2-version
- Empty Heart (Nanker Phelge) - Five By Five-version
- Hi-Heel Sneakers (Robert Higginbotham)
- If You Need Me (Wilson Pickett/Robert Bateman) -STU on organ;
Five By Five-version
- Look What You've Done (McKinley Morganfield) -STU on piano;
December’s Children-version
- Reelin' And Rockin' (Chuck Berry)
- Tell Me Baby (Big Bill Broonzy) -The Rest Of The Best-version
- 2120 South Michigan Avenue I (Nanker Phelge) -STU on organ; instrumental;
long version (f.e. on German Around And Around-album)
- 2120 South Michigan Avenue II (Nanker Phelge) -STU on organ,
instrumental; edited version of I; Five By Five-version

650510A 10th May: Chicago, Chess Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer:
Ron Malo.
- Mercy Mercy II (Don Covay/Ronnie Miller) -Out Of Our Heads-version
- Satisfaction I (MJ/KR) -early version with harmonica solo
- That's How Strong My Love Is (Roosevelt Jamison) -STU on piano;
Out Of Our Heads-version
- Try Me (James Brown) -STU on piano and organ; unverified
- The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man I (Nanker Phelge) -STU on
piano, 7“-version
- The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man II (Nanker Phelge) -STU on
piano, extended The London Years-version (on CD in 1989)

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: January 31, 2012 17:30

Hi,
I have a MP3 of It's all over now, edit of 7' single, 2:46. It is of the original US edit single. Quality is less than your reconstruction. Shall I send you that one? Where to? You could email me privately.
If you consider a bonus cd with It's all over now (edit), Under assistent West coast promotion man (long version), you could add Satisfaction I and 2120 SMA (short version).
Alex.

Date: January 31, 2012 17:45

alexander paul
Hi,
I have a MP3 of It's all over now, edit of 7' single, 2:46. It is of the original US edit single. Quality is less than your reconstruction. Shall I send you that one? Where to? You could email me privately.
If you consider a bonus cd with It's all over now (edit), Under assistent West coast promotion man (long version), you could add Satisfaction I and 2120 SMA (short version).
Alex.

Yes you could send it to me on acid.captain@yahoo.com,thanks.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 31, 2012 20:00

Nice work. However, beware that the first version of Time Is On My Side were cut at Regent Sound in England on June 24. It's a common misunderstanding that this version was recorded at Chess. If you look at Nico's listing it says "unverified early version", which means that it's not the master take. I know all Chess boots includes this track, but the US single was not recorded there.

Also, I can't remember which one of them, but either Fanny Me or Reelin' And Rockin' are a BBC recording.

Date: January 31, 2012 20:54

Blueranger
Nice work. However, beware that the first version of Time Is On My Side were cut at Regent Sound in England on June 24. It's a common misunderstanding that this version was recorded at Chess. If you look at Nico's listing it says "unverified early version", which means that it's not the master take. I know all Chess boots includes this track, but the US single was not recorded there.

Also, I can't remember which one of them, but either Fanny Me or Reelin' And Rockin' are a BBC recording.

Yes,yes,yes i know of course. When you download the complete artwork you`ll find explanation that few tracks were substituted because they are connected somehow to those recordings but are not true Chess recordings. Just like Funny Mae.Some tracks were recorded there but recording is not available if exists at all.
As for Nico i have included in comments his data on Chess.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:06

Great work Captain...& Mr D too.....Thank You Very Much

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:43

I have send you a mail, Gile

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:51

I downloaded this one from hungercity a few weeks ago and I am a little confused and wanted to know if I downloaded the one from hungercity do I need both of these 2 cds?

The one I downloadded from hungercity is:
[www.hungercity.org]

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:56

THE DON
I downloaded this one from hungercity a few weeks ago and I am a little confused and wanted to know if I downloaded the one from hungercity do I need both of these 2 cds?

[www.hungercity.org]

I have the same, but what is track 28.
It is only 170kb

Gr Ray

Date: January 31, 2012 22:22

@ I downloaded this one from hungercity a few weeks ago and I am a little confused and wanted to know if I downloaded the one from hungercity do I need both of these 2 cds?

Well maybe you do maybe not. If you are hardcore, you do, if not the one from HC is enough.I have first made the one on HC but some people were asking why i did not make it only MONO or with all of the STEREO tracks that exist. So i kinda remade it for pure MONO and more STEREO ( all existing stereo included).
And i have reworked few tracks from the first version, some are from different source ( Don`t Lie To Me).
So if you ask my advice you should keep those 2 and delete the purple one ( first version from HC).But on the other hand few tracks (sources,EQ) are exclusive for that one too.
So in the end it`s up to you,your choice. I mean if you are not sick completest-collector, like most of us are, any one of those 3 will do. smoking smiley

Date: January 31, 2012 22:25

Keessie
THE DON

[www.hungercity.org]

I have the same, but what is track 28.
It is only 170kb

Gr Ray

Track 28 is hidden track, just about 10 seconds where Jagger announces the song which they are gonna record.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:24

Thanx a lot - very nice.
Just bought a premium Hotfile membership. It looks ok, and works with DAP!

cheers Bo
hot smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:58

Greg44
I'm also sure that asking Eric Snow for a favour would result with more atmospheric front cover (particularly in case of B&W) but this is only my taste.

I don't know if you are joking or being sarcastic, Greg.....

Thanks for the terrific compilation, Gile, and also for the terrific artwork - made by Mr. D.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 1, 2012 21:03

Thank you for sharing this wonderful work Gile and also thanks to Mr. D. for his wonderful artwork!
smileys with beer

Date: February 1, 2012 23:27

Erik_Snow
Greg44

I don't know if you are joking or being sarcastic, Greg.....

Thanks for the terrific compilation, Gile, and also for the terrific artwork - made by Mr. D.

Yeah exactly, Erik. I was expecting many things in comments, but never that someone will complain about Mr.D`s magnificent artwork. I mean it`s perfect because it`s black and white, especially for MONO album, in sink with the times.
But than again as we all know DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM.
And Greg is an old Stones fanatic, so he is "forgiven" for not liking this artworkwinking smiley

Date: February 4, 2012 18:15

Greg44
Remarks: my heart wouldn't cry when Empty Heart would be replaced by Cry To Me (if it comes from same the sessions) or delightful Oh Baby, We Got A Good Thing Going and longer version of Tell Me. Maybe you could add them as Bonus II, hm?

Nad how about including Highwire and Slave there as well? Just remove Goodbye Girl and Confessin The Blues, and there would be space.

Date: February 4, 2012 21:11

I really don't get it why some are saying you should remove this and add this.
CaptainAcid has done alot of work on what he felt should be done. It is his idea and gave us the opportunity to download it if we want it.

Now we have a chance to see in the notes what he has created.

So why argue what should have been or shouldn't be.

I say if you like what you see grab it if you don't let it go. If you want it customized to your liking do it yourself.

I for one love it and not complaining. If I didn't I wouldn't download it. If I wanna do it differently I will do it myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-04 21:15 by THE DON.

Date: February 4, 2012 22:36

THE DON

I was being sarcastic, Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-05 13:02 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 4, 2012 23:00

Erik_Snow
THE DON

I was being sarcastic, Don, as Greg's post (which I quoted) is so laughable insane

This work by Gile is tremendous

Don't worry Eric I wasn't attacking you. I know you were being sarcastic.
I was speaking in general how many wishing this and that.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 21:15

Many thanks for sharing

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 9, 2012 03:54

Brian plays organ on That's How Strong My Love Is. grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home