Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18
Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with CVBS 020 - European Tour 1970 Live (Rubber Dubber) & CVBS 021 - European Tour 1970 (TMoQ) & CVBS 022 - Britney's "I Wrote It In My Garden"
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 6, 2011 18:48

silkcut1978_
I really have my doubts that any of the CD releases used a tape. The lineage is simply vinyl - digital transfer - CD with more or less filtering and equalizing. Never got a tape version of this show, as often as I tried way back when into tape trading. It was always a copy of an LP. I would go that far to bet my collection that the master-tape doesn't exist anymore - for ages by now.

Haven't compared with CD releases yet Thomas. But I suspect you're right.

Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with CVBS 020 - European Tour 1970 Live (Rubber Dubber) & CVBS 021 - European Tour 1970 (TMoQ) & CVBS 022 - Britney's "I Wrote It In My Garden"
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 6, 2011 20:05

Would be interesting if you would compare Britney and tell us what you hear.

Back in those days I think the bootleg business operated way different then what we're used to now. In presence most of the time it's a torrent/upload and then companies like DAC do some mastering work and then it's out on CD.
Back in the 70s somebody recorded a show and if the result was good talked into a bootlegger and then things happened like a or b:

a: for example Vienna 1973 - to my knowledge the master was never given away and a 1st gen.tape was used for "100 years ago". The tape was traded and copied by the taper himself so the whole show turned up in many collections long before the CDs where introduced to the market.

b: Essen and Hamburg 1973 (The Stars In The Sky) - the master-tapes were given away (that's what at least I've been told) and were "destroyed" the one or the other way (maybe simply put into the trash can) after the mastering of the few songs that found it's way onto the LP was done. All my hope is gone since a long time that we will ever hear the complete shows in this excellent audience quality.

A few shows comes to my mind immediately where I never got a tape-copy of - like Hollywood 72, Essen 70, Roundhouse 71, Greensboro 78, Earthquake Benefit 73, Rockford 81 - just to name a few. Bootleged, but never traded by the taper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-06 20:06 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 6, 2011 21:03

It's real disturbing to think of the tapes that have (most probably) been dumped by the bootlegers - especially Hollywood 72 and Essen/Hamburg 73; which are obviously just small fragments of what they actually recorded.

When it comes to Essen 1970, LA 1973, etc - the bootlegers probably released the tapes they had in their full

Concerning "Satisfaction Guarranteed" - yes I agree it's a great album, soundwise, and artworkwise. I got to have a thing for that bootleg, I have 6 copies of it; couldn't refrain myself each time I found one for sale. Maybe I should feel like a wierdo ? Strange that no CD labels have released a vinyl rip of that bootleg.

Thanks for close comparision of the Essen vinyls, Britney - I haven't done so myself, and now I don't have to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-06 21:05 by Erik_Snow.

Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with Rank Stranger's CVBS 019 - European Tour 1970 Live (Roll & Rope Records)
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 6, 2011 21:27

Britney
Despite the stereoclaim on the sleeve the Roll & Rope Essen 1970 is as mono as it gets.

Well, the crackling noises should be stereo, at least on the raw version! :-)

Date: September 6, 2011 22:08

Erik_Snow
Concerning "Satisfaction Guarranteed" - yes I agree it's a great album, soundwise, and artworkwise. I got to have a thing for that bootleg, I have 6 copies of it; couldn't refrain myself each time I found one for sale. Maybe I should feel like a wierdo ? Strange that no CD labels have released a vinyl rip of that bootleg.

6 copies ?? Man, I'm glad that I found my ONLY copy two minutes ago, placed between my Beacon Island discs.
Anyway, this one and "A Summer Romance with the Rolling Stones" are my favourite boots - both with stunning artwork, both good quality (Romance even excellent) and both were released while other boots still had insert covers or ugly ones like Return To Liver or Stones Tour Mop Up with those incredible awful brown and white prints.

Date: September 6, 2011 22:29

silkcut1978_
6 copies ?? Man, I'm glad that I found my ONLY copy two minutes ago, placed between my Beacon Island discs.
Anyway, this one and "A Summer Romance with the Rolling Stones" are my favourite boots - both with stunning artwork, both good quality (Romance even excellent) and both were released while other boots still had insert covers or ugly ones like Return To Liver or Stones Tour Mop Up with those incredible awful brown and white prints.

And I'm glad you found it to; Thomas - as a digital copy is welcome over here
Interestingly enough; 1 of my "Satisfaction Guaranteed" comes on a different label....black vinyllabel with red letters; can't remember what they "called themselves" though. Is your copy on the label that had a photo of a dog on the label? Would you know which label that copied who, please?

Yes those 2 mentioned bootlegs, surely are ugly - especially "Stones Tour Mop Up"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-06 22:31 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 7, 2011 06:42

Erik_Snow
Is your copy on the label that had a photo of a dog on the label? Would you know which label that copied who, please?

I guess the one with the dog was the first available but I've never seen the other one with the red letters and maybe it was a variation of the same edition. Does it have the same Matrix-numbers?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 7, 2011 07:39

By request a quick comparison of the various Essen 1970 bootleg CD releases:

Slowly Rockin’ On - VGP 249 : minimal stereoseperation (probably the result of EQ adjustment)

Ice Cream In The Foyer - C2C : mono (left and right channel are 99.9 % identical)

Two Great Albums Cheap - VGP 348 : minimal stereo seperation, copied from vinyl

Midnight Ramblers - WPOCM 109 : Minimal stereo seperation, copied from vinyl

To my ears VGP 348 has the best sound of the above CD bootlegreleases. The 'raw' Roll & Rope vinyl still sounds a little more natural.

Date: September 7, 2011 09:48

silkcut1978_
Does it have the same Matrix-numbers?

Hi Thomas, I'm not able to check it, now. Have most of my vinyls stored 100 miles from my present location - I will get back to you, once I get to check, for sure.

Posted by: rubycatgirl ()
Date: September 7, 2011 11:11

Thanks guys! Since I lost my suspicion of declicking (well, at least when it is done by Silkcut!), I really enjoy this serie of classic bootlegs.
Growing up in the eighties, most of these titles I had only heard of and in my mind they have always remained the core of the Rolling Stones
bootleg canon. It's great to be able now to go back to the roots and listen to them once again, all fresh and more crisp then ever before.
Thanks of course to the wonders of technological invention, computers and all the stuff that wasn't around back then.

It's like the opening 'tune' of my first ever bootleg 'Bedspring Sympony' (TMOQ): "You know the time of the great bands was really a
fabulous period but unfortunately recording techniques were in their infancy. It just wasn't possible to catch all those great sounds on "78's".
For example, if you want to hear the best musicians around you might dig out that old "78" which sounds like this: [a sample of a 'Gimme Shelter',
'73 is played - I forgot from which show]."
"But today, we can record music as it is, as you hear it. Crisp and clear with every note as bright as the stars in the eyes of the girl
you're dancing with. These great sounds you not be left to gather dust: they send out a call to the best producers and enigneers availlable.
We've gone back to wonderful music and recorded it as you actually rembered being played, and we recreated these great performances in todays
brilliant stereo. It really can't be described in words. So let's just listen."

I have uploaded the segment (1:05) here on sendspace:
[www.sendspace.com]

'...I said we...we are heaven bound...'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-07 14:00 by rubycatgirl.

Posted by: tjkrol ()
Date: September 7, 2011 14:38

Britney
By request a quick comparison of the various Essen 1970 bootleg CD releases:

Slowly Rockin’ On - VGP 249 : minimal stereoseperation (probably the result of EQ adjustment)

Ice Cream In The Foyer - C2C : mono (left and right channel are 99.9 % identical)

Two Great Albums Cheap - VGP 348 : minimal stereo seperation, copied from vinyl

Midnight Ramblers - WPOCM 109 : Minimal stereo seperation, copied from vinyl

To my ears VGP 348 has the best sound of the above CD bootlegreleases. The 'raw' Roll & Rope vinyl still sounds a little more natural.

GREATLY appreciated you took the time to compare the different versions & give us your opinion. Thanks!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 7, 2011 17:24

Just a question: Does anybody have good quality artwork scans (front and back) of the Excitable Recordwork LPs:
4508-1 East And West and
4513-1 Live'r Than You'll Ever Be
?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-07 17:25 by midnrambler.

Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with CVBS 023 - Instrumentals
Date: September 7, 2011 20:16

next one is Instrumentals - Volume II following soon

midnrambler - I'll up East And West (cover) tomorrow, need daylight

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 7, 2011 21:21

silkcut1978_
next one is Instrumentals - Volume II following soon

Danke Thomas for these "Instrumentals" LPs rips, now I can throw my 90's cassettes with that recordings!

Btw, what a strange color has the froncover... well it's really doesn't matter

Posted by: fela ()
Date: September 7, 2011 21:21

thanks in advance for Intrumentals vol.2, this one is deep in my heart & mind, lots of memories
side 3 -tape c "The Sun"- is a trip, the muddy sound, K.Richards&J.Miller interview, and five perfect instrumentals in the right order...

"this album is dedicated to Ian Steward and Michael Cooper"

thank you very much silckut1978

Date: September 7, 2011 22:19

I remember these bootlegs "Instumentals", I think I had only Vol. one.
If my memory serves me well, the colours of the artwork tended to rub off?!

Date: September 7, 2011 22:24

midnrambler
Just a question: Does anybody have good quality artwork scans (front and back) of the Excitable Recordwork LPs:
4508-1 East And West and
?

Re.: "East And West"

I don't have a camera, but I've got a spare cover to give away;
so if you're interested, drop me a line.

Date: September 7, 2011 22:38

Sorry, the red color is from my shirt. I have a camera but I can't find a way to make really good pictures I fear...

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: September 7, 2011 22:40

midnrambler
4508-1 East And West and
?

Here is the artwork for East And West

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 7, 2011 23:33

silkcut1978_
Sorry, the red color is from my shirt. I have a camera but I can't find a way to make really good pictures I fear...

Ha, ha,ha!

Well you should have put a silver or at least a grey T-shirt! LOL

Thanks again for sharing Thomas! Much appreciated!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 8, 2011 00:25

on the instrumentals is two black & blue sessions tracks,not on another bootleg i guess ? on side four .freeway jam & heatweave

Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with CVBS 024 - Instrumentals Volume II
Date: September 8, 2011 12:30

here we go now with Instrumentals Volume II - including a vocal-version of Respectable from the SNL rehearsals - someone did a proper job...;-)

Re: POST: classic vinyl bootlegs series - updated with CVBS 024 - Instrumentals Volume II
Date: September 8, 2011 14:24

Congratulations with the new T-shirt, Thomas !grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-08 14:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 8, 2011 15:33

vancouver
on the instrumentals is two black & blue sessions tracks,not on another bootleg i guess ? on side four .freeway jam & heatweave

They're fakes!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: September 8, 2011 18:03

midnrambler
vancouver

They're fakes!

Do you have any more info on these please? Martin Elliott lists both of them so I've always assumed they're OK, but it does seem strange that they don't appear anywhre else.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: September 8, 2011 19:06

Awesome effort - many thanks indeed for this treasure trove.

Cheers

Date: September 8, 2011 19:46

midnrambler
vancouver

They're fakes!

I think you mess them things up midnrambler - Freeway Jam and Heatwave come from the De Doelen sessions but the remainder on side 4 are fakes (Muscle Shoals 1 & 2, Wild Horses).

Date: September 8, 2011 19:48

Erik_Snow
Congratulations with the new T-shirt, Thomas !grinning smiley

Thank you Eric :-) Ma told me I'm late with the September shirt, so now I'm wearing a white one for a while...

Date: September 8, 2011 19:49

Zagalo
Awesome effort - many thanks indeed for this treasure trove.

Cheers

You're welcome, glad you like it !

Date: September 8, 2011 22:31

silkcut1978_
midnrambler
vancouver

They're fakes!

I think you mess them things up midnrambler - Freeway Jam and Heatwave come from the De Doelen sessions but the remainder on side 4 are fakes (Muscle Shoals 1 & 2, Wild Horses).

I stand corrected - you'right!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home