Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Technical help.....audio on PC
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 29, 2015 12:28

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

About 4 weeks ago I had some automatic updates come in to my PC from Microsoft. After they had installed I found I had no sound from my speakers which had been working fine up 'til then.

This had happened once before and I reset my audio by doing a 'System restore'. I tried this again but this time, for some reason, I don't know why, I kept getting "Unable to restore system". I tried a few different dates. Nothing.

I looked in "My control panel" and it said "No audio device found".
I then read online that I should go to "Device manager and "enable it" but when I did that it said that the audio device was already enabled and working properly.....confused smiley...so, as I say, I'm stuck and hoping someone will know a lot more than me (which isn't hard) and be able to point me in the right direction.............(PS - I'm still on Windows XP.......thanks in advance of course to anyone who can ....

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 14:46 by EddieByword.

Re: Technical help.....audio on PC
Posted by: SirMuddy ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:43

Hi I don't know a lot about it.... But I think you have to find the driver for your sound card or new drivers for your sound card or something like that... Put the name & the model of your sound card in google with the world driver for windows x and let's see what happens! smoking smiley

P.S.: Windows XP is very old... Windows don't make patch for it anymore... eye rolling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 17:48 by SirMuddy.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:28

Yes I would agree there, on both points, you will need to find a driver for your sound card - and XP is rather old now and not supported anymore, which makes me wonder how you got automatic updates, it hasn't been supported for over a year now I think.

The Restore thing? It often does that nowadays (which kinda defeats the object of it), sometimes just turning your anti-virus off first will allow it to restore - but not always.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:54

This 'System restore'
Is that the option 'reset to previous date' ?
In dutch it is called 'systeemherstel'
This might be the same bt to my ear a restore is more than the option I mention.

I tried to translate with googletranslate and this is what I mean;

system recovery and recovery Point

Go to your control panel and look for either of these two options in the search option of the control panel.

Hope you can find this to work.

Date: June 29, 2015 19:20

stonesmuziekfan
This 'System restore'
Is that the option 'reset to previous date'
?
In dutch it is called 'systeemherstel'
This might be the same bt to my ear a restore is more than the option I mention.

I tried to translate with googletranslate and this is what I mean;

system recovery and recovery Point

Go to your control panel and look for either of these two options in the search option of the control panel.

Hope you can find this to work.

Hi Jaap, yes that's the one, unfortunately it didn't work....It tried to do it but after 10 mins I got a message saying "Unable to restore - nothing has been changed on your computer"...........so....I was stuck on that...thanks alot anyway for replying....smileys with beer

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: June 29, 2015 19:20

Here is another suggestion you may try if you have the Windows XP CD.

Once you insert the Windows XP CD you can do a Windows Repair. This can fix anything that went wrong.

After you do this you will have to install all your windows updates again.
Even if Windows XP does not give updates anymore it WILL give you all the old updates that need to be re-installed. I have done this on my sister's computer and worked well. Only thing is that she did not have an audio issue she had no longer use of mouse and could not do anything that needed to be sued with a click of the mouse.

Another thing you may also try someitmes it could be your audio volumes are too low or it may be set to mute. This happens soemtimes so check into control pannel for Sounds under the tabs Audio and Voice to see if all are set to higher volume and and not to mute.

Good luck.

Date: June 29, 2015 19:28

JimmyShelter
Yes I would agree there, on both points, you will need to find a driver for your sound card - and XP is rather old now and not supported anymore, which makes me wonder how you got automatic updates, it hasn't been supported for over a year now I think.

The Restore thing? It often does that nowadays (which kinda defeats the object of it), sometimes just turning your anti-virus off first will allow it to restore - but not always.

Hi Jimmy (and Sir Muddy)....I did have this happen before and at that time was able to restore, my sound came back on (without getting a new soundcard patch)......but this time that angle didn't work...very frustrating....(I'll try turning my anti virus off and see if that helps...thanks...

Yes, about the autmatic updates, that's what I thought, as of April 2014 - no more but every now and then I was getting an update for 'Windows malicious software tool' and it wouldn't let me switch my computer off until it had downloaded it...if I did bypass it by cacelling it I would just get a reminder the next day on my task bar...........most times it didn't seem to cause a problem...............

ok thanks agin, I'll try that and see what happens...............

Date: June 29, 2015 19:35

THE DON
Here is another suggestion you may try if you have the Windows XP CD.

Once you insert the Windows XP CD you can do a Windows Repair. This can fix anything that went wrong.

After you do this you will have to install all your windows updates again.
Even if Windows XP does not give updates anymore it WILL give you all the old updates that need to be re-installed. I have done this on my sister's computer and worked well. Only thing is that she did not have an audio issue she had no longer use of mouse and could not do anything that needed to be sued with a click of the mouse.

Another thing you may also try someitmes it could be your audio volumes are too low or it may be set to mute. This happens soemtimes so check into control pannel for Sounds under the tabs Audio and Voice to see if all are set to higher volume and and not to mute.

Good luck.

Thanks to you too 'the Don', unfortunately, I don't have a Windows XP disc.....(I bought it second hand a few years ago....Also, I tried going into 'My Control Panel' but as I said in the initial post, according to that I have no audio device - but my device manager says I do have it and it is enabled and working properly.............

I think both messages are wrong, I think I do have an audio device but that Windows update somehow switched it off - and I can't work out how to switch it back on.....

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: June 29, 2015 19:59

I wonder if you would uniinstall the Windows Updates if it would fix your issues.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 29, 2015 20:18

Just my 2cts
Try to uninstall only your sound driver.Once done then reinstall the previous working version, it still should be on your computer.

HMN

Date: June 29, 2015 21:14

THE DON
I wonder if you would uniinstall the Windows Updates if it would fix your issues.

That does sound logical but again, I'm so useless at computers I don't know how to do that....all I know is Windows told me that it was downloading them on about 20th May - or thereabouts, where they are on my PC I have no idea.....same with honestman's suggestion (thanks for that HM....

I think I'll try Jimmy shelters idea first - disable anti virus and try 'Restore' again,,,,,I can handle that.....and go from there.....thanks alot though, much appreciated..........smileys with beer

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:00

Sound drivers gone, common problem, restore won't help, here's as good as any info as to how to update.

[pcsupport.about.com]

I'm wary of folks who want to update ALL your drivers, free scan sort of thing, I don't want anyone else looking at my Stones collection

Date: June 30, 2015 21:04

vox12string
Sound drivers gone, common problem, restore won't help, here's as good as any info as to how to update.

[pcsupport.about.com]

I'm wary of folks who want to update ALL your drivers, free scan sort of thing, I don't want anyone else looking at my Stones collection

Thanks voxstring.....the thing is when it happened before (2 previous occasions) 'restore' worked....but now for some unknown reason 'restore' doesn't work at all............It's not like it's restoring and then the sound is still off, the restore function itself has stopped working too.........

Thanks for that link though, I'm going to try Jimmyshelter's suggestion about turning off my anti virus to see if I can get restore working ....if that doesn't work I'll check yours out.......thanks....smileys with beer

Date: July 1, 2015 01:43

EddieByword
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.

About 4 weeks ago I had some automatic updates come in to my PC from Microsoft. After they had installed I found I had no sound from my speakers which had been working fine up 'til then.

This had happened once before and I reset my audio by doing a 'System restore'. I tried this again but this time, for some reason, I don't know why, I kept getting "Unable to restore system". I tried a few different dates. Nothing.

I looked in "My control panel" and it said "No audio device found".
I then read online that I should go to "Device manager and "enable it" but when I did that it said that the audio device was already enabled and working properly.....confused smiley...so, as I say, I'm stuck and hoping someone will know a lot more than me (which isn't hard) and be able to point me in the right direction.............(PS - I'm still on Windows XP.......thanks in advance of course to anyone who can ....

I know a free solution. I am not going to post it here for various reasons but,if you are interested,feel free to send me an e-mail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home