Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Auckland'73 complete?
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 13, 2011 11:37

The excitement is palpable, but given we've waited since '73 another hour or so shouldn't be too hard

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 13, 2011 13:10

“The Stones is coming, The Stones is coming”, blared out of my transistor radio, over the whole of the summer, the end of 1972. The concert for the ‘greatest rock and roll band in the world’, was set for 11 February, 1973, and tickets were priced, at a whopping, $4.90!
Exile on Main Street, the first double album the band had put out, had been played so much, I literally wore out a copy, as I had played it to death on my Pye Isotronic stereo, and bought another copy of the album, as had the previous vinyl release, Sticky Fingers which I had also worn out.
Even though the radio DJs were playing the Stones big hits, of the 60’s, and suggesting the band would play those tunes - paint it black, last time etc, at the upcoming concert, I had been collecting the overseas magazine cuttings, and reviews from the USA 1972 tour, and had a good idea, that most songs that would be played by the band were from the last two albums.

In these times, it took three months for the English magazines to arrive on our Shores, but even by Christmas 1972, the reviews of their Stateside shows they had played in June –July 1972 were amazing. I was reading stories of fans camping out at the gates, of the gig, to be the first ones in when the stadium opened. Then it was a rush, to be first in, to get the best spot – stage front. Some even slept over, on the night before, outside the venue of the gig, to be the first to get in.
All over the summer, the radio blared out, and the tension, was rising. I knew, it would be the ‘event of the year’, for me. The USA reviews, I was reading in the music magazines, were incredible. The reviewers went on, about the great guitar dueling, between Keith and Mick Taylor. Get Yer Ya Ya’s out was excellent, as a live album, and I was really looking forward to attending this show. I knew, it was going to be a killer gig. A group, of around ten of us, decided to go to the show together. We arrived, the day before, with our beer and blankets, and slept (as much as we could!) outside the gates at Western Springs Stadium.
Somehow, sleeping on the hard, ground in the cold shade, on the grass of the stadium was not the festival atmosphere I had been reading about, in the overseas magazines, and Concert books. I hardly slept at all it was so uncomfortable.
The concert was due to get underway at about 3pm, so it was going to be a very protracted, long wait in the hot summer sun of the day. I was there, with my camera, and trusty cassette recorder.
The concert finally got underway, in full glare of the summer sun. The Support act (Itambu?) did their best, but hey, I realised even then, who would ever want to come on stage, and warm up the crowd, before the mighty Mick Jagger?
It would be a very brave band, to think the crowd was even slightly interested, in their original music. Still, we clapped politely, and after they finally took away the gear, and set up the stage , we waited patiently, as New Zealanders do, for the ‘greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World to appear”
Finally, after an agonizing hour, the PA announced, ‘The Rolling Stones’ and onto the stage the band ambled. The first thing you notice about Jagger, is the huge mouth, when you see him live on stage. Brown Sugar got the concert underway, and I used up about two, or three, rolls of film in the first 30 minutes. The tape recording I made as listen to the recording now, I hear it as sloppy, out of tune in parts, vocally poor, but on the day, from the front of the stage, in 1973 – the music was magical.
A life changing moment

Posted by: jigsaw puzzle ()
Date: January 13, 2011 16:15

THX so much would love to see some of your pics as well.
What a week !

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 13, 2011 16:36

I started the d/l right now.
Feel like going to a stones concert.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 13, 2011 17:03

thanks ! do you want me to split this ?

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 13, 2011 17:22

vancouver
thanks ! do you want me to split this ?

hi vanc.
It's running slow; the speed should be fixed.
Anyway, just had a short listen; quality is inferior to the existing source but this fills the gaps.
The band played very bad at this show.

A big personal thank to midimannz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 17:23 by straycat58.

Date: January 13, 2011 17:36

yes listen to it now..

yes the speed is to slow, someone should post the other source (to fill the gaps)mine is mp3 only )

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:22

vancouver
yes listen to it now..

yes the speed is to slow, someone should post the other source (to fill the gaps)mine is mp3 only )

Do you mean this one (Auckland)? It's not a good recording, though. A mix of this one with midimannz' tape (if possible) might result in a better sound quality. If someone thinks it's useful to upload this one, I'll do it (it's flac, as written below).

The Rolling Stones
All Meat Music
VGP-055

1973-02-11, Western Spring Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
1973-02-27, Royal Randwick Racecourse, Sydney, Australia

lineage:
silver CDs -> WAV (EAC) ->FLAC8 (Max)

note:
Disc one is an exact copy of VGP-015 "Winter Tour - Auckland 1973".
In fact it is the same pressing just re packed for the VGP-055 double cd release. The CD shows even the number VGP-015 on it.
I have added the covers from my VGP-015 silvers as well, so you will actually get two VGP releases at once.

Disc 1: 1973-02-11, Western Spring Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
09 You Can't Always Get What You Want
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Jumping Jack Flash
13 Street Fighting Man

Disc 2: 1973-02-27, Royal Randwick Racecourse, Sydney, Australia

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 Honky Tonk Women
11 All Down The Line
12 Midnight Rambler
13 Introductions
14 Little Queenie

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: January 13, 2011 18:30

@midimannz
very cool, amazing that this one turns up.
beside the hiss, the raw sound/recording is not THAT bad.
I will see what I can do to improve the sound.

thanks a lot for sharing !

Date: January 13, 2011 18:34

just one question: there is only one channel, is the original recording in mono ?

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 13, 2011 19:15

Many thanks for this new upload

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 13, 2011 19:18

Many thanks midimannz!!
Photos would be appreciated as well!!

Date: January 13, 2011 19:34

kleermaker
vancouver
yes listen to it now..

Do you mean this one (Auckland)? It's not a good recording, though. A mix of this one with midimannz' tape (if possible) might result in a better sound quality. If someone thinks it's useful to upload this one, I'll do it (it's flac, as written below).

The Rolling Stones
All Meat Music
VGP-055

lineage:

note:
In fact it is the same pressing just re packed for the VGP-055 double cd release. The CD shows even the number VGP-015 on it.
I have added the covers from my VGP-015 silvers as well, so you will actually get two VGP releases at once.

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Jumping Jack Flash
13 Street Fighting Man

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 Honky Tonk Women
11 All Down The Line
12 Midnight Rambler
13 Introductions
14 Little Queenie

yes please

Date: January 13, 2011 21:18

Yes, it is mono. This is not the original cassette, I recall that I had two original master tapes and some years later (probably late 70s, early 80s I put the two redubbed on to one cassette tape. Probably had dolby on it too which has added the hiss, I will hunt out my stuff to see if I can locate the original two cassettes. It's going to take some days as I have a storage unit and all my stuff is packed away in there.

The recording was done on a mono mic (which clearly dropped into my pocket during Love in Vain & Sweet Virginia)

There were two tracks playing as I recorded it digitally, but the left was inaudible and full of hiss, so I re did it using just one track - the clearest. Do you want both?

Date: January 13, 2011 21:24

midimannz
Yes, it is mono. This is not the original cassette, I recall that I had two original master tapes and some years later (probably late 70s, early 80s I put the two redubbed on to one cassette tape. Probably had dolby on it too which has added the hiss, I will hunt out my stuff to see if I can locate the original two cassettes. It's going to take some days as I have a storage unit and all my stuff is packed away in there.

The recording was done on a mono mic (which clearly dropped into my pocket during Love in Vain & Sweet Virginia)

There were two tracks playing as I recorded it digitally, but the left was inaudible and full of hiss, so I re did it using just one track - the clearest. Do you want both?

no everything is fine this way, just wanted to be sure, because one usually has to channel recordings circulating. BTW, no big deal to get rif of the hiss without "destroying" the sound, tried it this afternoon and it was ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 21:38 by falo01.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 13, 2011 21:30

I'm late to the party here, but I just wanted to say thanks a lot, midimannz, for sharing your old tapes. So we finally get to hear the full Auckland show, after all these years....! that's very nice. Haven't downloaded and listened yet, but I surely will.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: January 13, 2011 21:33

Thanks a lot indeed

Date: January 13, 2011 21:59

vancouver
kleermaker
vancouver
yes listen to it now..

The Rolling Stones
All Meat Music
VGP-055

lineage:

note:

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Jumping Jack Flash
13 Street Fighting Man

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 Honky Tonk Women
11 All Down The Line
12 Midnight Rambler
13 Introductions
14 Little Queenie

yes please

Okay, working on the upload of the Auckland show to MegaUpload.

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: January 13, 2011 22:08

Thanks for sharing!
Wonder how many other tapes are stored out there without notice ...

Thanks for the nice gift,midimannz !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 22:21 by axl79.

Date: January 13, 2011 22:13

falo01

Do you weant me to redo this tape and send it up in two channel before you go to too much trouble?

Date: January 13, 2011 23:48

kleermaker
vancouver
kleermaker
vancouver
yes listen to it now..

The Rolling Stones
All Meat Music
VGP-055

lineage:

note:

01 Brown Sugar
02 Bitch
03 Rocks Off
04 Gimme Shelter
05 Happy
06 Tumbling Dice
07 Love In Vain
08 Sweet Virginia
10 All Down The Line
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Jumping Jack Flash
13 Street Fighting Man

yes please

Vancouver, here it is:

[www.iorr.org]

BTW: Many thanks to midimannz! Great story too!

Date: January 14, 2011 00:01

midimannz
falo01

Do you weant me to redo this tape and send it up in two channel before you go to too much trouble?

no trouble at all. if the other channel is full of hiss and inaudible,
nobody can use it and it is easy to convert it to 2 channels.
what "looks" strange and also sounds strange are the 1st 10 minutes.
they are worse than the rest of the recording. do you know what the reason is ?
in the end it is not that important because we will end up doing a mix of both
recordings and the beginning of your tape will not be needed.

Date: January 14, 2011 00:07

no trouble on pt 1

but pt two,i can't convert it

Date: January 14, 2011 00:33

vancouver
no trouble on pt 1

it worked with cool edit pro. the prob maybe is that part2 is a 32bit recording
and part1 is the usual 16bit recording.

Date: January 14, 2011 00:46

falo01
vancouver
no trouble on pt 1

it worked with cool edit pro. the prob maybe is that part2 is a 32bit recording
and part1 is the usual 16bit recording.

yes i try a mixdown to 16 bit

Date: January 14, 2011 01:15

Thx for this one greatly appreciated, yes, it'll take a bit of work getting this together but with falo working on it it'll be just fine. Just revisiting the source Gazza found & I notice it's running fast by about a semi-tone (as is VGP 015) so it'll be mighty fine to get the whole show at the correct speed

Date: January 14, 2011 01:29

vox12string
Thx for this one greatly appreciated, yes, it'll take a bit of work getting this together but with falo working on it it'll be just fine. Just revisiting the source Gazza found & I notice it's running fast by about a semi-tone (as is VGP 015) so it'll be mighty fine to get the whole show at the correct speed

there is a cut on the another source on "you cant always get what you want"

the cassette tape changes during the song,

thanks again for this.now pt 2 works fine (16bit)

Date: January 14, 2011 01:40

the 1st 10 minutes.
they are worse than the rest of the recording. do you know what the reason is ?

I was on the move from centre of the stadium down to the front of the stage.....

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 14, 2011 02:58

I worked on the part after Midnight Rambler, since everything up to that point is available on the Vinyl Gang CD in better quality.

Anyway, that part (Mick talking, Rip This Joint, JJFlash, SFMan) runs about 10% slow. It also benefits from lots of hiss reduction. That's about all that can be done.

Date: January 14, 2011 03:44

dph
I worked on the part after Midnight Rambler, since everything up to that point is available on the Vinyl Gang CD in better quality.

There's a couple of speed fluctuations in BS &, as vancouver has pointed out, there's a cut in YCAGWYW on Gazza's source so, these could be pasted over with the new source. We'll see what falo comes up with although I am going to work on it myself

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home